IGNORED

Steve Lansdown on RB - Club Statement (Merged)

One Team

12 minutes ago, The BristolCity Blog said:

I disagree as I personally feel I do know football and know the club.

Nice to have some positive comments about us appearing on the panel last night though. 

I did feel pressure after SL's chat, we didn't have any time to process it and then a lot of time was given to callers and tweeters. We aren't expert pundits and i wasn't about to go live on the radio and lambast the club I love. I do feel like an ambassador. 

It does take something to go live on air and speak your mind, so credit to you for that. I think Radio Bristol could have helped the situation by having a panel of opposing views which would have got the debate going.

6 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

The caller - Ian - who rings in after every game, and will usually give constructive criticism, has posted on another forum that he tried to get on and ask the questions but Geoff wouldn't take his calls or read out his tweeted questions.

That's because - and I know and like him - Ian relentlessly bombards Geoff with tweets and calls and will often rant for ages after a game without actually being there. As I mentioned on another thread, a greater variety of callers and panel guests would be appreciated I think. Easy to spout on here or Twitter. 

4 minutes ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

As said above Geoff had to give something in return for SL's time and SL wanted to have his bullshit backed up by fans who agree with him. 

GT quickly cut off the only one talking sense with regards to LJ. 

Soon after the show the banners were back thankfully to remind SL he's not convinced everyone. 

8 losses on the bounce and one of the panelists last words was 'everyone stop moaning' as he nervously chuckled. 

This was me and it was intended as tougue in cheek! The happy clapper comment annoyed me. 

28 minutes ago, The BristolCity Blog said:

Nice to have some positive comments about us appearing on the panel last night though. 

I did feel pressure after SL's chat, we didn't have any time to process it and then a lot of time was given to callers and tweeters. We aren't expert pundits and i wasn't about to go live on the radio and lambast the club I love. I do feel like an ambassador. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that you or any of the others was in any way at fault. Fair play to you. But I'm suggesting that if Radio Bristol wanted to produce a show which explored in any journalistic depth the current crisis at Ashton Gate, and wanted to follow up a searching interview with the man who owns the club, it wouldn't have relied on the views of some self-selected supporters, whether in the studio or calling in. It would have sought the expertise of people who'd been in similar situations, managers or players...and perhaps alongside them gone out and got a wider sample of opinions from supporters, which might well have included yours, or Ian's to NTTDS or Spudski or Ole or frankly whoever.

The reason they won't have done that is because I imagine that the budget for Sound of the City extends as far as Geoff, a studio and some phone lines...and doesn't include much time to go an do the leg work required to do all the other things I'm suggesting. All part and parcel of a lamentable lack of informed debate about BCFC in the local media...and one of the reasons why OTIB is so valuable.

10 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

He was wanted by an overwhelming number of City fans when he joined the club; period. 

WHAT?!!

I was extremely disappointed with his appointment and I could see no evidence based logic to it. 

Owner's soft spot and family friend seemed to me to be the strongest reason.

24 minutes ago, The BristolCity Blog said:

That's because - and I know and like him - Ian relentlessly bombards Geoff with tweets and calls and will often rant for ages after a game without actually being there. As I mentioned on another thread, a greater variety of callers and panel guests would be appreciated I think. Easy to spout on here or Twitter. 

:laugh:

What would you say about him if you didn't like him!

52 minutes ago, The BristolCity Blog said:

I'd feel exactly the same and had I been on I'd also have reined it in.  Which is why it would have been a good contrast to have somebody like Ian on who wouldn't have reined it in.

Well done on going on in the first place and there were also some excellent calls.  It just didn't, probably for the reasons you state, feel representative of the majority of fans.  There are going to be a lot of very vocal protests at next Tuesday's game which would surprise anybody who tried to judge the mood of the fans on the baiss of last night's programme.

I phoned in! I said:-

1. I'm still supporting LJ but ...............

2. Went to Forest (my 9th away game this season!), didn't see the passion I expected.

3. We lacked width and creativity - again!

4. Four new players brought in are good but they haven't solved our problems; we still lack pace going forward and width. 

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

The caller - Ian - who rings in after every game, and will usually give constructive criticism, has posted on another forum that he tried to get on and ask the questions but Geoff wouldn't take his calls or read out his tweeted questions.

Well boo hoo for him. It's not like he hasn't had a fair crack of the whip - he is on the radio every bloody week! About time RB gave airtime to some other people...

It's true what others have said in response to the OP as well. It's very easy to hide behind a username on a forum and shout expletives and give relentless criticism to the manager. Try doing it on the radio or sat in the studio with Geoff with your name put to everything you say, with mates and family listening and you have to be a bit more considered in what you say!

There were 3 of Steve's replies that concerned me:

Q1.Are you hands on with what's happening at the club on a daily basis? 

A1. No not on a daily basis,

While I understand his reply living out of the country, does he have a true picture of what is happening.

Q2. Is there any problem between LJ and Tomlin?

A2. Not to my knowledge.

Didn't give a convincing NO answer, so still leaves doubt.

Q3. League 1 is not an option, do you think you will get relegated?

A3. I am sure we will turn this around but it might go down to the wire.

With the addition of the four new players that we have signed, Steve said we now have a strong squad. I agree with this statement but I would expect our fortunes to change now, not to be in a prolonged relegation fight.

8 minutes ago, John Galley said:

There were 3 of Steve's replies that concerned me:

Q1.Are you hands on with what's happening at the club on a daily basis? 

A1. No not on a daily basis,

While I understand his reply living out of the country, does he have a true picture of what is happening.

Q2. Is there any problem between LJ and Tomlin?

A2. Not to my knowledge.

Didn't give a convincing NO answer, so still leaves doubt.

Q3. League 1 is not an option, do you think you will get relegated?

A3. I am sure we will turn this around but it might go down to the wire.

With the addition of the four new players that we have signed, Steve said we now have a strong squad. I agree with this statement but I would expect our fortunes to change now, not to be in a prolonged relegation fight.

Would the owner really know the answer to number 2?

26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well boo hoo for him. It's not like he hasn't had a fair crack of the whip - he is on the radio every bloody week! About time RB gave airtime to some other people...

It's true what others have said in response to the OP as well. It's very easy to hide behind a username on a forum and shout expletives and give relentless criticism to the manager. Try doing it on the radio or sat in the studio with Geoff with your name put to everything you say, with mates and family listening and you have to be a bit more considered in what you say!

I have heard that Ian and I think Terry and some others who I can't remember atm, are actually phoned by GT every week to get their opinion on the match. GT does this because not enough people cal in.   I think it was mentioned on a thread about RB callers some time ago.

3 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I have heard that Ian and I think Terry and some others who I can't remember atm, are actually phoned by GT every week to get their opinion on the match. GT does this because not enough people cal in.   I think it was mentioned on a thread about RB callers some time ago.

If that is true, it's not surprising they don't need his "services" on a night when there's enough other callers.

9 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I would doubt that the real reason Geoff calls out is because not enough people call in...I'd assume that he calls out because it's easier than filtering calls to the show....what could be easier than popping Ian, NTTDS and the others on every week? You know them, know they'll have something to say and that they'll keep it decent. Fills the airtime, along with the local results, reports from Prem matches you can hear on 5live and - last week's gem - the attendance at the Yate match...dull as dull can be, but safe, and relatively effortless. That said fair play to him for asking the questions to SL last night...proper journalism CAN be done...

8 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

If that is true, it's not surprising they don't need his "services" on a night when there's enough other callers.

It is true, Ian mentioned it once when he was defending himself from the usual "know nothing" accusation that some like to dish out.    It makes sense as the need is to produce a decent show so you want to speak to people who will provide some decent input.  However I would have thought that there would then have been the courtesy of taking a call from him yesterday.

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Starts post 

Mentions clueless Johnson

Abuses first person to reply with a different opinion

Tired 'back to school' or 'gas' joke

Congratulations you win OTIB bingo!

Has a fitting username though 

3 hours ago, The BristolCity Blog said:

There were some weird points of discussion, the amount of time spent on Flint and whether he should be captain went on to long - simple answer to the whole thing "If Flint is confident and knowledgable to shout instructions, and organise the team on the pitch he can do so without a strip of cloth on his arm" and that should have been the end of it, a few seconds not that whole discussion on him. 

The eight win losing streak was mentioned, but no one mentioned it's worse than that - a solitary win and a draw in our last 13 matches. 17 signings, he has had backing unlike any manager I can remember, and yet we have resorted to a long ball team with 7-9 men packing defence... is that the football we want at AG - it certainly isn't the football we were promised. The signings had to have the right DNA, I suggest that they made a huge error in the DNA structure they looked for.

We have a timid dressing room.

Lee always mentions play needs to be faster and we need more width - interview after interview but nothing changes

LJ and SL "we just need that one bit of luck to turn things around" we really, really should not be relying on luck, great if we get lucky, but that's a bonus not something you factor in to your planning.

Path for youngsters into the squad still open - it's obviously not, and when Bryan and Reid are mentioned maybe they should point out they are in their mid twenties and made their debuts in 2012 

It felt like the discussion was not related to SL statements or any actual problems at the club.

2 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

WHAT?!!

I was extremely disappointed with his appointment and I could see no evidence based logic to it. 

Owner's soft spot and family friend seemed to me to be the strongest reason.

I'm sorry it was my poor attempt at humour. It was intended to reflect justification of Johnson's tenure in the style of the Trump administration. I want Johnson out. 

Archived