IGNORED

Steve Lansdown on RB - Club Statement (Merged)

One Team

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Ali Durden saying LJ has SL's full support and the support of 'the majority of fans' :facepalm:

Couldn't listen to the radio or watch the TV, but Ali you've let yourself down with that assessment,  my old mucker. 

Your finger couldn't be more off the pulse if you'd declared a corpse alive. 

The only supporters who fully support LJ staying here are Gas supporters!  They're all for him.

So disappointed that Lansdown couldn't be as far-sighted and ruthless at this club as he was in establishing his business empire. 

Prepare to lose a lot more money Steve, because I can't see those nice new seats filling up while we still have to watch good players underperforming because of that management team you have faith in.....

2 minutes ago, iamsober said:

So you can't disagree with SL saying the majority support the current position until you have surveyed another 17500?

There must be hundreds of thousands of fans. Let's not form a consensus until a home visit to every last one of them. 

FFS. Time to show your hand and let us know if you're just a mate or related. You take us for mugs. Which we aren't. 

9 minutes ago, harrys said:

If I was Lee Tomlin I would be sticking a transfer request in first thing tomorrow, he's hardly kicked a ball in the last 4 or 5 games yet he's the scapegoat, he's the man who will keep us up not LJ, how our mentally fragile defence are escaping any sort of criticism is also beyond me

He'd find it too much effort to write it , unless somebody ( Agent ) put the pen and paper in his hands, then when it doesn't sound right he would get distracted by having verbals with and then threatening his agent before ripping up the request in a hissy fit before grabbing a can of coke and a few mars bars from the fridge

Tin Hat On :thumbsup:

As for Steve Lansdown on Radio Bristol

Speechless but not surprised 

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Couldn't listen to the radio or watch the TV, but Ali you've let yourself down with that assessment,  my old mucker. 

Your finger couldn't be more off the pulse if you'd declared a corpse alive. 

So disappointed that Lansdown couldn't be as far-sighted and ruthless at this club as he was in establishing his business empire. 

Prepare to lose a lot more money Steve, because I can't see those nice new seats filling up while we still have to watch good players underperforming because of that management team you have faith in.....

In retrospect I could've worded it better. It is Ali reporting that LJ has SL's full support and SL considers that LJ has the support of the majority of fans. Apologies!

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

In retrospect I could've worded it better. It is Ali reporting that LJ has SL's full support and SL considers that LJ has the support of the majority of fans. Apologies!

Ah right. Glad to hear it. Unlike Ali D to talk utter cobblers. 

Wish we could say the same about the owner. .....

34 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I work in an office with a dozen City fans, we are not mates, we don't sit by each other at games, every single one of them thinks he should go.

Graham I think that's the third time in a day you've posted about people you know "in real life" and their opinion. It will never be enough to convince some.

It's funny, their argument that an OTIB poll isn't representative actually resonates with me as I've often felt I always hear an entirely different view at games and from my friends than I do on OTIB. It's been the same for years. Unfortunately for those floating that line now, I'm not talking about offline people being kinder or more patient - my experience is the total opposite, people are far more bullish and forthright in real life, I actually find OTIB (unsurprisingly, by its nature as a discussion forum) the only place I can get a balanced range of views. As such, personally I place a lot of relevance in the tone or polling on here.

In the real world, from friends, to those I was with at Forest, to people I speak to in the pub - I've heard pretty much universal disdain for LJ. Go figure.

2 hours ago, kevster3 said:

The statement on OS, demonstrates that Lansdown, couldn't  care less what the fans think

Which, when it comes to making important decisions in any company whatsoever, should be the case. 

For the record, I disagree, and think he does care about the fans, but he happens to disagree with the majority. As much as it is important for fans to be involved in the club, they shouldn't make the decisions.

People constantly say that Lansdown is clueless about the game and making the right call - imagine if he went and listened and took action whenever people wanted the manager to leave. We'd have a new manager every month. 

NB: I'm not specifically talking about this situation, I know this is a special case and that there are many reasons why Johnson could have been fired. But, Lansdown as of yet, doesn't want to.

If the masses are making the decisions for the people on top, we'll be in a pretty sorry state of affairs. Don't treat Lansdown like some kind of dictator just because he's choosing who to hire and fire.

...Well it's certainly nice to be called an 'Absolute disgrace', 'A Dissapointment' and a 'Happy Clapper' from my fellow fans, all for having the confidence and willingness to appear on a radio show and discuss the club we all love. I don't hide behind tweets and this forum, I actively join in with debates in person and would love to meet any of you for a pint and a chat about the Reds. No, from a personal point of view it was not as balanced as I would've liked - when I criticised moaners I merely meant it does nothing to help move the club forward - but it was definitely one of the more challenging chats after the SL statement, interview and everyone firing in their opinions on social media. I am not a progressional jornalist or a pundit, it takes a bit to talk live on air but I'm a fan and I like having my say. Everyone is entitled to their opinion (and i respect them all, personal insults and negative banners aside) but since, for now, LJ is clearly staying - we really have little choice but to get behind the team now more than ever.

I am not a staunch LJ fan 'cherry picked' for the show, I've been on regularly and have received praise for my rational and (usually) balanced view. It's often the same people ringing in and appearing on the panel, I cordially invite any of you to follow suit.  

Any other manager or any other other professional would be in an untenable position right now for sure. But I am sick of the modern sack culture and if he does go, watch the cycle repeat itself again and again and again. Fingers crossed for the two upcoming home games. 

I promised myself I wouldn't rant....but with much respect, let's try and stick together folks. 

I'm going for a lie down! 

COYR. 

Sam

Sorry all, but this thread makes me ashamed to be a City supporter.  No one is is going to like what has happened in the last three months, but we have made some great signings, we have the best stadium we've ever had, and, I think, a bright future.  Yes, sacking the manager was an option, but the Board has decided to back him, and so has the owner, who has put MILLIONS of his own money into trying to make City a success.  We have sacked managers on pretty much an annual basis for the last five or six years and i for one was delighted when I heard that the plan was to build for the future gradually, sticking with the same set-up.  Ok, it's not working at the moment, and we all have our own theories about that, but I for one am first and foremost a City fan.  We have a club owned by a City fan and managed by a City fan.  Shall we sell out to the Far East or the Middle East?  Shall we sack our manager on the whim of the owner every five minutes?  Change the colour of the shirts?  Change the name of the club?  It strikes me that things could be a lot worse and I for one will be hoping we provide a surprise on Saturday and then will be cheering for a win against Wednesday next week.  Does that make me a happy clapper or just a City fan?  The set-up remains unchanged for the time being.  The new players are bedding in.  Get behind them and let's see things improve.  

3 minutes ago, The BristolCity Blog said:

...Well it's certainly nice to be called an 'Absolute disgrace', 'A Dissapointment' and a 'Happy Clapper' from my fellow fans, all for having the confidence and willingness to appear on a radio show and discuss the club we all love. I don't hide behind tweets and this forum, I actively join in with debates in person and would love to meet any of you for a pint and a chat about the Reds. No, from a personal point of view it was not as balanced as I would've liked - when I criticised moaners I merely meant it does nothing to help move the club forward - but it was definitely one of the more challenging chats after the SL statement, interview and everyone firing in their opinions on social media. I am not a progressional jornalist or a pundit, it takes a bit to talk live on air but I'm a fan and I like having my say. Everyone is entitled to their opinion (and i respect them all, personal insults and negative banners aside) but since, for now, LJ is clearly staying - we really have little choice but to get behind the team now more than ever.

I am not a staunch LJ fan 'cherry picked' for the show, I've been on regularly and have received praise for my rational and (usually) balanced view. It's often the same people ringing in and appearing on the panel, I cordially invite any of you to follow suit.  

Any other manager or any other other professional would be in an untenable position right now for sure. But I am sick of the modern sack culture and if he does go, watch the cycle repeat itself again and again and again. Fingers crossed for the two upcoming home games. 

I promised myself I wouldn't rant....but with much respect, let's try and stick together folks. 

COYR. 

Sam

Fair play to you for talking live on air and expressing your views

4 minutes ago, The BristolCity Blog said:

COYR. 

Sam

Hi Sam,

FairPlay for defending your stance, but the whole radio show was completely skewed in favour of keep LJ. It was almost like SL and his henchmen were in the studio and everyone didn't dare utter a word against. 

It made it a little disappointing. 

And then it ended with someone saying "if we're second bottom, 6 points adrift then sack him". By Christ I hope that wasn't you because it was the second most moronic thing I've heard today. Someone will have to do well to displace SL from top spot though. 

1 hour ago, Dolman Block B said:

Steve Lansdown  just dropped the biggest bollock ever on BBC local news.

Via a link from the bbc channel islands he said "Lee has the majoirty support of the fans and players"

Ohh dear, majority support of the "players" then!!!

Over to you in the studio

Sorry, i just watched it back and I disagree, it doesn't come across like he's suggesting '[support from] the majority of the players' at all.

"He has my full support. He has the support of the board, I think he has the support of the majority of the supporters still.[pauses/stammers]...and the players."

If you re-watch it, the way he structured the sentence and paused between his acknowledgement of the 'majority of the supporters' and reference the the players, he clearly is separating the two.  What you have written above to someone who didnt hear or watch the interview would suggest he said the complete opposite.

Personally, visually, his interview looked as if he was very unhappy being there, having to do this.  He's made it perfectly clear over the past few weeks and months that he's backing Lee or the long haul - and yes things could change very soon, but i'm very surprised that people expected SL to make a decision that he'd be gone today.

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Hi Sam,

FairPlay for defending your stance, but the whole radio show was completely skewed in favour of keep LJ. It was almost like SL and his henchmen were in the studio and everyone didn't dare utter a word against. 

It made it a little disappointing. 

And then it ended with someone saying "if we're second bottom, 6 points adrift then sack him". By Christ I hope that wasn't you because it was the second most moronic thing I've heard today. Someone will have to do well to displace SL from top spot though. 

Appreciate the reply Fordy. I'm disappointed in how it came across too, just listening back now. Wish I'd got more of a balanced word in. I always try to focus on the positives though. Was not my comment at the end! 

27 minutes ago, lenred said:

This apparent notion from some that if you don't support the manager you don't support the club is really starting to grate now.

Yep. I'm sure we'll see them all at Burnley... :whistle:

I wouldn't even begin to suggest supporting the club is the monopoly of one view on LJ or another, so I really don't know where some get off bringing support into this. The support has been consistently positive at away games (@allyolly rigtly highlighted it after the Forest game) and I'm sure away support represents both views, but I am equally sure some on here who are so outraged at the idea of criticising LJ, have probably only sat through only a handful of matches at limited expense. Starting to lecture others on whether they support the club, or how to support the club, is just crass and embarrassing. Impassioned views on LJ are not the product of people who couldn't care less - they are the product of people who care too much and spend a ***ing fortune in time and money.

There's plenty of good debate on OTIB from both points of view about LJ but the minute some resort to suggesting you don't support the club, or have given up, or don't care - or worst of all, instructing us to "get behind the team" - it's not only an incredible reach, it's a downright liberty. I'm all for rallying cries, but instructions on how to react to current form, and how to support the club - seriously?

28 minutes ago, cynic said:

Yeah right.

He's really the sort to get us out of this mess isn't he - he's great when things are fine, not so when they aint.

We need players with a bit of backbone and a team ethic - if he can knuckle down thats fine, if not he can **** off.

Do you watch our games?

Who was at the heart of our revival last season? Who has more "knuckle" or bottle to consistently want the ball and take responsibility, make game changing contributions for City than LT? 

What a moronic post.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It's time people started accepting that a poll of 600 people with a 90% majority in favour of sacking Johnson probably means that most fans want Johnson sacked. A poll might not be an exact science, but it doesn't need to be when the majority is so overwhelming.

So any claim that the majority back Johnson is clearly pure fiction.

I went into the local Tory club* recently and polled them on who should be the next Prime Minister:  Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn.  There was an overwhelming majority (over 90%) for May!

That's a fact then.  When the poll is so overwhelming it doesn't really matter what the process is in taking it.....

*obviously, I was the one voting Corbyn...

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

Why? Genuine question, because Mr Lansdown isn't going to let go of his empire even if there was another billionaire ready and willing to do things properly.

Everyone on here is a City fan but that doesn't extend to blind support of a coach who is taking us down.

I believe Mr Lansdown's popularity rating as of now has never been lower, which of course doesn't concern him one jot.

I think with what he's put into this football club he has earned the right to be the one deciding what happens rather than pandering to those who make grammatically questionable banners. 

Archived