IGNORED

Steve Lansdown on RB - Club Statement (Merged)

One Team

• Admin
3 hours ago, The BristolCity Blog said:

As I mentioned on another thread, a greater variety of callers and panel guests would be appreciated I think. Easy to spout on here or Twitter. 

Not on about last nights show, but there has been many threads on here with many people saying how they call in but never get called back - it IS handpicked who goes on there, as the same handful of supporters are called regardless on a Saturday evening

Only caught the last 30 minutes last night - had to laugh at the caller that GT stop in their tracks - then the caller was "is that it?" lol

59 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I'm sorry it was my poor attempt at humour. It was intended to reflect justification of Johnson's tenure in the style of the Trump administration. I want Johnson out. 

No probs, I did wonder if it was tongue in cheek! ;)

I just feel that I needed to reinforce my original view on his appointment. I recall telling Spudski at the time, that as he changed his otib name to "depths of despair" when Cotts was appointed, I was tempted to do the same when LJ was announced.

Worrying times.

5 hours ago, The BristolCity Blog said:

Easy to spout on here or Twitter. 

I'm not so sure - I have a feeling an inaccurate or inane view would be far sooner challenged on here than it would on Radio Bristol. I can't speak for this new show on Mondays, but it's the easiest thing in the world to ramble on about nothing in particular on Twentyman Talks Back, and Geoff doesn't really know any better. I listen back to it on Sundays from time to time and some of the callers are on another planet - it's only NTTDS that makes it worthwhile!

I did used to call up Geoff regularly from away games in the late nineties (obviously in the days where you actually had to call up) but my run was curtailed in a B&Q Car Park away at Cambridge (after an awful match), when a mate decided to let off a fire extinguisher in my face just as I was about to speak. :blink:

My transcription of Geoff Twentyman and Steve Lansdown on ‘The Sound Of The City’ 23/1/2017

I initially done this for my own reference, but once done, I thought others may find it of interest.

Cheers.

Geoff: Steven I really appreciate you coming on the show.

S.Lansdown: That’s fine Geoff nice to be here.

Geoff: How safe is Lee Johnson and his job of head coach.

S.Lansdown: Well Lee is the head coach of Bristol City Football Club, and he has the support, he has my support, he has the support of the board and everybody at the club. So from the point of view how safe his job is, it is as safe as it can be at this point in time.

Geoff: Okay, you obviously feel he can turn around this run of defeats.

S.Lansdown: I do, and I look at what we’ve done in the transfer window, not this window  necessarily, but both windows, we’ve built a squad of players I think that looks good. I think we’ve got some very talented players there, we’ve got some good experience, we’ve got some very young players coming up through as well and everything is working well and Lee has been part of that and I’m looking forward to working with him to take it forward.

Geoff: You just said then “everything is working well”, you’ve just lost a record number of defeats in the clubs history.

S.Lansdown: Yes, and I hate losing football matches Geoff, and I’m not very happy about the situation with the results at the moment. But I was referring to the fact of the work that has been done behind the scenes, and in the football club as a whole, which is something that obviously is not in the front line, but as regards the results on the pitch, yes they are not going as we would like them to, but in many of those games we’ve been playing well, we haven’t seen the game out, we need to sort that out and we need to get some wins under our belt quickly, make no bones about it. So we are determined that we’ll do that, we have to all work together we have to be stronger we have to work very, very hard to make sure that we get those results and push ourselves back up the league.

Geoff: What have you seen in Lee, what do you see in Lee, that gives you the confidence that he is the right man.

S.Lansdown: Well, he’s a young manager, and like young players they will make mistakes along the way, but they learn from those mistakes and Lee is certainly somebody that is never short of looking for advice, and finding out new ideas and being corrected on certain things if he feels he’s got things wrong, so I think he’ll turn it around he’ll sort it out and the job will be a good one in the end of the day. But at this point in time I understand everybody’s frustrations, I’m extremely frustrated myself, in some ways I’m angry we’re not doing better than we are, but that’s football.  We’ve been through it before, we know what the situation is like, we know how to turn it around, and you only do that by hard work and staying together.

Geoff: I’m never quite sure the people who call me, text me and tweet me, are necessarily the maximum opinion, but, a lot of people are telling me that unless you change your manager you’ll be relegated.

S.Lansdown: Well that’s their opinion, and I’ve heard you say it many times “football is a game of opinions”.  But my opinion is that we will turn this around, we’ve got plenty of games left to do that, we’ve got a very good squad of players, I think we need that little bit of luck to get us through one or two games to get us back on track, but I think that will come and we will be alright by the end of the season. That's my view that’s what I’m working towards and that’s what the club is working towards.

Geoff: What is the timescale though for improvement Steven.

S.Lansdown: Well, I don’t set one, because I think we got a cup tie this weekend, but let’s look forward to the league program, we’ve got Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday and then we’ve got Rotherham on Saturday I believe, so we’ve got two big games coming up we look at every game to win, and what we need is everybody to get behind the football club and work very hard for that to happen.

Geoff: How ‘hands on’ are you at the moment, on a daily basis and after matches.

S.Lansdown: I’m not ‘hands on’ at all, on a Saturday I’ll often go and have a word with Lee before the game, but more often after the game and we’ll have a few words, and discuss what went right, what went wrong, and the positives that came out of the game and obviously the negatives in recent times, and I’ll normally have a conversation with him either on a Sunday evening or on a Monday evening when he’s had time to digest the game and gone through it.  But it’s only really to help, him, because I know you’ve been in management yourself, it’s a lonely position, you need somebody to bounce ideas off and I’m one of those people.

Geoff: Lee Tomlin, is there anything untoward going on between Lee Johnson and Lee Tomlin in terms of falling out and not being selected as a consequence.

S.Lansdown: Not that I’m aware of, I think it’s just down to the fact that if we are all honest Lee Tomlin’s form has gone off the boil and in order to try and turn the fortunes of the team around, Lee has left him out of the team on a couple of occasions. So I think it’s up to Lee Tomlin to buckle down and win his place back.

Geoff: Okay, part of the manifesto when you appointed Mark Ashton and Lee, was, there was going to be this pathway to the first team for home grown talent. In light of your recent signings, have you kind of closed the door on that.

S.Lansdown: Not at all, we still have the likes of Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid very much involved in the first team action, Zak Vyner is very much on the fringe of the first team as well now, as well as the likes of some of the younger players coming through like Lloyd Kelly and George Dowling, so the opportunity is there, not everybody is going to make it into the first team. What we will try and do is get people out into the football league to play other games on a loan basis, gain the experience to come back and play for us in the future. So there is definitely a pathway there, one that is very clear now which I am very pleased about. There is still work to do with all of our infrastructure, but the improvements we’ve made in the academy with that pathway and the improvements we made in our recruitment structure, I think are first class and are moving us in the right direction.

Geoff: Are some supporters too expectant, lack patience.

S.Lansdown: They are, but that’s the right of a supporter to be that way.  Let’s face it, I’m not going to hide from the fact that we were sort of in the top six September, October, and here we are just outside the relegation zone on a losing streak. So it’s not a great place to be, it’s not a great time to be at the club, but that’s what challenge is all about. We can all roll over and feel sorry for ourselves, but nobody else is going to do that we’ve got to sort ourselves out and get it right.

Geoff: The games next week, two home matches, Sheffield Wednesday and Rotherham, are they more significant than they would be otherwise in light of the current situation.

S.Lansdown: Well of course they are because we need results and the longer this losing streak goes on, the harder it will become, so we need to get points on the board, we’ve been on twenty seven points for an awful long time now, we need to get off of that, get into the thirties and move up towards the forties fairly quickly.

Geoff: Yes, I was more alluding to the fact of Lee and his position.

S.Lansdown: No not at all. I mean, we’re focused on actually getting the results and Lee and all of the management team are part of that.

Geoff: Relegation can’t be an option for you though Steven can it.

S.Lansdown: I’m not complacent Geoff, I’m not going to try and to say we can’t get relegated, I don’t think we will be relegated. I think the effort that goes into it and everything else, we’ll sort it out at the end of the day, we may have to go down to the wire, but we’ll keep fighting all the way and I just ask the supporters to do the same with us.

Geoff: So you think it might go to the wire, what is the plan from here, the window is still open for a short period of time, what’s the plan.

S.Lansdown: Well we’ve brought four players already in, in this window, I think everybody would be pleased with those acquisitions. Whether we need anybody else, we’ll see, I don’t think we’ll be chasing anybody in particular. But if the opportunity comes along to give us the ability to bring somebody in that adds to what we’ve got, adds value to it, then we’ll do that.  We’re always in the market and always looking and we’ll never turn an opportunity away. I can’t remember how many we brought in in the summer, I know we did thirty odd transfers in total, or deals in total. But we’ve got four in this window and I think that’s good business so far.

Geoff: Okay, I realise you’ve got the poker face on now and you are prepared to sit tight, but there must come a point if things don’t improve, that you’ll have to take some form of action.

S.Lansdown: Well, business is business and we look at all those situations when they arise, I don’t feel in that position at the moment, I feel confident we can take this forward from here, we need to change our fortunes and turn it around and as I said earlier I’m not complacent about that but I’m determined that we are going to do that and we are going to do it as we are at the moment.

Geoff: Alright. Steve always a pleasure, I really appreciate you coming on the ‘Sound Of The City’, I know there are many, many  City fans listening right now who likewise appreciate that.

S.Lansdown: Okay Geoff, thank you very much.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, BristolNorthEndRed said:

S.Lansdown: I’m not ‘hands on’ at all, on a Saturday I’ll often go and have a word with Lee before the game, but more often after the game and we’ll have a few words, and discuss what went right, what went wrong, and the positives that came out of the game and obviously the negatives in recent times, and I’ll normally have a conversation with him either on a Sunday evening or on a Monday evening when he’s had time to digest the game and gone through it.  But it’s only really to help, him, because I know you’ve been in management yourself, it’s a lonely position, you need somebody to bounce ideas off and I’m one of those people.

I wonder how many owners have such an in depth conversation with their manager / head coach? Assumedly HHolden and Pemberton must have some input too? 

2 hours ago, Olé said:

I'm not so sure - I have a feeling an inaccurate or inane view would be far sooner challenged on here than it would on Radio Bristol. I can't speak for this new show on Mondays, but it's the easiest thing in the world to ramble on about nothing in particular on Twentyman Talks Back, and Geoff doesn't really know any better. I listen back to it on Sundays from time to time and some of the callers are on another planet - it's only NTTDS that makes it worthwhile!

I did used to call up Geoff regularly from away games in the late nineties (obviously in the days where you actually had to call up) but my run was curtailed in a B&Q Car Park away at Cambridge (after an awful match), when a mate decided to let off a fire extinguisher in my face just as I was about to speak. :blink:

Why? was your head on fire.

28 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Geoff: You just said then “everything is working well”, you’ve just lost a record number of defeats in the clubs history.

You have to laugh

Yes, Lee Tomlin needs to "buckle down," but his coach has been part of "everything working well." So, it is clear, something "untoward" has gone on between Tomlin and Johnson, and that LT is culpable for more than just his own poor form. 

And what gives SL "confidence" that LJ is the "right man" is that he is a "young coach" and that he "makes mistakes." Terrific. Hope for us all, there. Not what they were saying about him 12 months ago, though. We were "lucky to have Lee Johnson" back then. 

Archived