IGNORED

Back SL time

Meh

I'm no happy clapper...and gutted and so frustrated at our recent results. But I'm going to support City, and hope the players and LJ turn round our fortunes.

Changing the manager doesn't guarantee a change in fortune. We've tried that so many times...and it has never worked. I'm glad we are bucking the trend.

The more I read people slagging off the manager, when we know he's trying his hardest for the club, the more my hackles go up.

It makes me even more determined to get behind the lads. I'll support the likes of Mark Little even more, even if he isn't good enough, because he gives 100%.

So easy just to slag people off when it's not going well and say sack the manager, like there is some magic wand.

For all those jumping ship....see ya...jog on...don't come crawling back if he turns it round and rams it down your throat. Oh yeah you'll be back...sing when your winning crowd.

C'mon Lee...C'mon lads...COYR's...

27 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Then we have a young core to try with again. I don't want relegation just as much as you don't but I can't say we wouldn't be well equipped to come straight back up with a young squad again. Not ideal and I don't want it but because of how SL wants the club to be run, we'll always be a threat to push on. 

Who are these young core players Joe? Anyone who is Championship class will jump ship like they did when Danny Wilson ****** up the playoff final against Brighton.

Inconceivable that SL is allowing this to happen.

15 minutes ago, rockinrobin said:

Everybody has their price so don't knock SL for that. All the Championship Managers could not believe we 15m for him from another Champ club.

Totally agree. So why not say that?

"We don't want to sell Kodjia, and we don't have to. It would take a record fee for him to leave this club". 

Or say he's definitely not being sold. Then sell him 

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm no happy clapper...and gutted and so frustrated at our recent results. But I'm going to support City, and hope the players and LJ turn round our fortunes.

Changing the manager doesn't guarantee a change in fortune. We've tried that so many times...and it has never worked. I'm glad we are bucking the trend.

The more I read people slagging off the manager, when we know he's trying his hardest for the club, the more my hackles go up.

It makes me even more determined to get behind the lads. I'll support the likes of Mark Little even more, even if he isn't good enough, because he gives 100%.

So easy just to slag people off when it's not going well and say sack the manager, like there is some magic wand.

For all those jumping ship....see ya...jog on...don't come crawling back if he turns it round and rams it down your throat. Oh yeah you'll be back...sing when your winning crowd.

Of course we will. This forum is as good a place to get it off our chest as any. Come Saturday, most of us I am sure will rock up and hope for something to cheer.

I look out for your posts which usually give a good counterpoint, and have a good deal of nuance. Of course changing manger is no g'tee. Nor is sticking, it is a subjective call. This is our worst run, well, ever. It is not unreasonable to ask questions, surely? For what it is worth, I think personal insults are unworthy, and I am sure LJ is doing his very best. For whatever reason, it is not working, and for me the balance of risk right now is to change. It is always with a degree of sadness I come to that call.

What I think I heard today is actually SL is giving it two more league games. He can hardly say that of course, but he has left more than enough wiggle room in his statement to allow that. I would rather act now, but there we are. There is no right answer, just judgements. I am going to put your penultimate sentence down to frustration as well, which we all share at the moment.

What to do? Support as I always do the team, and hope, given he has those games, it turns around. Would love it to. I do think if we do not win either of those games, it will start to become toxic very very quickly, and then SL will act.

1 minute ago, Loon plage said:

Who are these young core players Joe? Anyone who is Championship class will jump ship like they did when Danny Wilson ****** up the playoff final against Brighton.

Inconceivable that SL is allowing this to happen.

I could see a few leaving but we don't have to sell. We'd still have Korey, Joe, Bobby, COD, Moore, Lucic, De Girolamo, Vyner, Engvall, and Brownhill. Plus, not all of the older players would leave. Bolton and MK Dons kept the bulk of their squads together while going down. We could too. 

No one wants to go down. It just wouldn't be the end of the club. I'm not arguing for against the head coach either. I'm keeping that aside. If we went down, we'd be fine as a club. 

9 minutes ago, Neo said:

Do you truly believe this squad can't turn it around?

I hate the saying to good to go down but I cannot see this team not turning this around at least to some partial level.

That is head ruling heart and not vicky verky - I cannot recall a squad this strong for a long time and I'm convinced that by some miracle we get 3 points soon we will not look back.

I appreciate this can only be viewed as blind faith but relegation with this team is about as inconceivable as my hair growing back !! :blink:

You may well be right - and I absolutely agree about the quality of the current squad - but I'm not sure avoiding relegation solves our problems.

What evidence is there that LJ would then have the ability to get the team to progress next season and beyond? I'm all for the long term plan and never expected to challenge for anything this season. But I was hoping to see some signs that the faith SL and some fans have in LJ was justified. He was unproven when we appointed him, and so far I've seen no evidence that he's got the wherewithal to do the 'coaching' part of the project to the required standard. What evidence is there that he's a savvy coach or a great motivator? If he isn't, he's the weakest link in the chain. I think he is.

He may have the potential some think he has, and may learn quickly enough to get us progressing - but to believe that ATM would definitely seem to require blind faith.

I'll still be there for the Wednesday game and beyond (and will renew my ST come what may). I'll back the team and be as delighted as ever when we start winning again, and I hope that happens very soon. But my head is telling me there are no grounds to believe LJ will make a good head coach any time soon. If that's right, our problems won't be solved just by avoiding relegation this year.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Very unlike you Spudski but I have to say that's a daft post in my opinion.

Firstly this is a back SL not LJ thread, but taking your point about LJ trying his hardest would you persist with a player or scout or administrator who tried his best but was woefully out of his depth? And who is to say what he's doing on a day to day basis anyway because the defeats never appear to be his fault so from the outside it looks like he doesn't have universal player support (could be wrong I accept).

The majority of dissenters haven't said they are jumping ship just that they are annoyed at both LJ and SL. The fans will continue to support City whether that is in the ground or in the Masonic/Coopers/etc etc They won't "jog on" and Mr Lansdown would be horrified if they did. The fact is, despite an absolutely s hit run the coach hasn't had anywhere near the amount of grief from fans that he would have experienced pretty much anywhere else.

I suspect though that things may be about to change on that grief point which is sad and divisive but if someone is sufficiently p1ssed off to advise the coach that in his opinion he is doing a crap job and someone like you takes issue then the stewards are going to have their hands full in the coming weeks.

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

I seem to recall McInnes coming in and keeping us up when we looked doomed.

LJ did the same last season. Saying it hasn't ever worked is just plain wrong. It has worked in terms of turning things round when we are in a rut. It just hasn't worked to keep the managers long term.

Perhaps we need to change coach more often rather than less? Works for some teams - look at Watford or even Leeds now.

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

That's the point though mate...Forums have become places to vent anger and frustration. Things are said very often out of context...and it's easy to do behind a keyboard.

If we didn't have this outlet, then it would come out at the Gate. We often lose the real atmosphere because it's been tempered by debate on a forum.

I'd love to see our crowd really get behind the lads throughout the game.

Maybe LJ is out of his depth right now...but sacking him and finding a random manager now, isn't going to guarantee anything. Our history of doing that has proven every time that it doesn't work.

All I know is the Club are all working in the right direction for once...if they weren't then I'd be questioning things too.

Like I said, it's easy to sack a manager...it isn't easy to replace them. What are the supporters calling for LJ's neck going to say if the next managers fails as well....who do they blame then? It's just keeps going and spiralling.

However much it seems like a trend to sack managers, I'm not for it...I want us to buck the trend. I'm going to support the lads and the Club.

I really don't see any positives from constant calling for LJ to be sacked, when no guarantees can be given for success, especially when history shows it doesn't.

33 minutes ago, spudski said:

Changing the manager has changed our fortunes on 3 of the last 4 occasions that we have done it.

McInnes - kept us up.

Cotterill - kept us up and got us promoted.

Johnson - kept us up.

So how can you say it "never works"?

1 hour ago, Neo said:

As we know we are nothing without this guy and he has clearly stated his backing for LJ.

Surely then so must we? Talk of banners, booing and general shite like that has to stop otherwise we will now be indirectly criticising SL and the board - and if anybody deserves a bit more patience, despite all the utter frustration will feel it must be them.

To boo, boycott, bitch and moan now can only hurt the club and the confidence of the entire coaching and playing staff further.

Please resist and at least give it two more home games - after that firk it - do what you want !! :P

Completely agree with you. For people to suggest SL should go is quite frankly shocking and incredibly disrespectful given how he and others have transformed this club.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion so here's mine - He gets my full support, appreciation and respect.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

As we know we are nothing without this guy and he has clearly stated his backing for LJ.

Surely then so must we? Talk of banners, booing and general shite like that has to stop otherwise we will now be indirectly criticising SL and the board - and if anybody deserves a bit more patience, despite all the utter frustration will feel it must be them.

To boo, boycott, bitch and moan now can only hurt the club and the confidence of the entire coaching and playing staff further.

Please resist and at least give it two more home games - after that firk it - do what you want !! :P

Coming round to this view. Two games. Then I think it is unsustainable.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Changing the manager has changed our fortunes on 3 of the last 4 occasions that we have done it.

McInnes - kept us up.

Cotterill - kept us up and got us promoted.

Johnson - kept us up.

So how can you say it "never works"?

Short term...you want a merry go of managers just keeping us up all the time, because that's what's happened.

I want us to persevere and come out of the other side...to get stronger and grow stronger together. For the long term. Fed up with changing managers all the time and short term strategies.

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Short term...you want a merry go of managers just keeping us up all the time, because that's what's happened.

I want us to persevere and come out of the other side...to get stronger and grow stronger together. For the long term. Fed up with changing managers all the time and short term strategies.

Long term is fine but the priority must always be the short term aim to preserve your status in the division. Not wanting to sack a manager is a noble aim but not in itself a reason not to do so if they are failing comprehensively. It would be madness to consign ourselves to relegation just because we didn't want to sack another manager.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Long term is fine but the priority must always be the short term aim to preserve your status in the division. Not wanting to sack a manager is a noble aim but not in itself a reason not to do so if they are failing comprehensively. It would be madness to consign ourselves to relegation just because we didn't want to sack another manager.

We still have nearly have a season left and another week in the transfer window. Sacking ANY manager at this very moment, makes no sense at all. I still want to give LJ time to turn it around, as he and the rest of the backroom staff have developed over the last year. I don't want to see all that broken up again, as I see what we have as the strongest ever.

If we were in the relegation zone but still in with a fighting chance of staying up, I'd still give the manager until at least 5 games left.

Changing managers causes more damage than good long term.

The fact we are getting good players coming here, even though we are struggling, speaks a thousand words in my book.

People keep blaming LJ...I'm pointing my finger more at certain experienced Pros in the team, who aren't pulling their weight imo.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

We still have nearly have a season left and another week in the transfer window. Sacking ANY manager at this very moment, makes no sense at all. I still want to give LJ time to turn it around, as he and the rest of the backroom staff have developed over the last year. I don't want to see all that broken up again, as I see what we have as the strongest ever.

If we were in the relegation zone but still in with a fighting chance of staying up, I'd still give the manager until at least 5 games left.

The fact we are getting good players coming here, even though we are struggling, speaks a thousand words in my book.

People keep blaming LJ...I'm pointing my finger more at certain experienced Pros in the team, who aren't pulling their weight imo.

I admire your faith in Johnson and genuinely respect your opinion. I just can't agree with it!

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm all for your philosophy, but you can't achieve it with a 'head coach' so blatantly out of his depth. It's no good taking ten years to realise that you've backed the wrong horse.

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I admire your faith in Johnson and genuinely respect your opinion. I just can't agree with it!

Fair enough mate...tbh...I don't have 100% faith in LJ's ability, but I have more faith in giving someone a chance than not, as sacking doesn't give success. History with us has proven that. However...I've seen enough to think he could pull it round. I know I'm in the minority on this forum. So he'll get my support, unless he loses the plot.

1 hour ago, boss hogg said:

well lj said europa league in 5 years

Ah thats the plan after all. Lure Burnley into a false sense of security than beat them on Saturday. Continue to loose all league games until next FA cup game. Repeat a few more times and we are into the FA cup final. Win that then we are in the Europa league.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Fair enough mate...tbh...I don't have 100% faith in LJ's ability, but I have more faith in giving someone a chance than not, as sacking doesn't give success. History with us has proven that. However...I've seen enough to think he could pull it round. I know I'm in the minority on this forum. So he'll get my support, unless he loses the plot.

Got to be honest Spud I'm astonished that you've 'seen enough' in LJ with what's going on

I wanted to , but day by day , match by match , interview by interview , all the bits I hear  He is sadly , IMHO way out his depth, certainly atm and is looking increasingly like someone who talks a good game (And there's plenty of them about)

All opinions of course !

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

well said except its half a season left!

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Got to be honest Spud I'm astonished that you've 'seen enough' in LJ with what's going on

I wanted to , but day by day , match by match , interview by interview , all the bits I hear  He is sadly , IMHO way out his depth, certainly atm and is looking increasingly like someone who talks a good game (And there's plenty of them about)

We don't do anything different tactically or formation wise, to what we were doing when we were winning mate. If we were getting hammered and the manager losing the plot like SC did, then I'd get it, but we aren't.

We've attracted some good players recently in the transfer window...what message does that send out to them if we sack LJ now.

If he continues to lose and we really do look like we are going down with say five games to go, but within safety of staying up, then I'd then say yes do it. But only if we have found someone who can work with what we are creating. Someone who isn't going to come in and rip it all up again.

C'mon mate...I know it's a results game, but we aren't being outplayed and not doing anything any different to any other team in this league.

We need to unite and fight...not give up every time the going gets tough.

A sacking culture, just sends out a message of failure, and a fan base constantly bleating when the going gets tough, makes us look like losers...and as they sing back at us...'you only sing when you're winning.'

I'd rather fight with my back to the wall...than bleat and moan and complain all the time.

Archived