IGNORED

Back SL time

Meh

9 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Yet SL replied when asked "do we need to get something from the next 2 home games"? with; "NO NOT NECESSARILY"

fans can do what they like anyway, including not agreeing with SL no matter how much money he`s got; players, managers and chairmen are just passing through our club.

He never looks at the table......

@spudski I think we're giving each other a wide berth (!! - I also know what it's like to have to pick and choose threads to maintain sanity) but as it happens what you've said in this thread about sacking managers, is what I was saying the last 4 times a City manager was sacked. More or less word for word. I was still complaining that we don't give managers time when we appointed Cotterill - I wanted to see a strategy really given a chance to succeed (and thank god I was wrong on SOD). I can't imagine anyone disagrees with your sentiment on stability.

The question with hindsight is have we got the right person to execute the long term strategy?

As you know better than me, the answer appears to be yes in many crucial places - behind the scenes, public PR (no one can deny LJ has until recently been a very media friendly face for the club), and incentive to youth development. Unfortunately, on the pitch it hasn't looked like we have the right person, and I'd go a step further - it's not about avoiding relegation, or losing 8 games on the spin - it's the manner we play the game and deteriorating quality of players.

I know we don't agree on that but I just felt the need to point out that I would and always have supported stability of the managerial position, if it wasn't for the season-long evidence to my eyes (irrespective of results) that the football isn't particularly effective, quite negative, and the players aren't getting any better. It has depressed me precisely because of LJ's potential. Hand on heart, if I had seen positive signs on all those things (which I don't think is asking a lot), then even 8 defeats in a row, I would be with you demanding stability for the manager.

It begs a different question for me - what does "turning it round" mean? We need results is the universal and logical answer, but I'm not ashamed to admit, we could win 5 in a row now, if the football was the same as it has been all season, I honestly wouldn't be persuaded he is the credible long term answer.  What "turning it round" really means to me, is seeing a specific philosophy of football, played consistently for 3 or 4 games, that regardless of results, is watchable, attacking, encourages players to try things, and takes risks. Something LJ can hang his hat on and say, that's my brand of football - take it or leave it. Who knows, we might be gung-ho and lose all 4 games 5-0 and he gets the boot, but I'd be behind him 100% if he just opened up a bit and played "his" game.

48 minutes ago, spudski said:

Fair enough mate...tbh...I don't have 100% faith in LJ's ability, but I have more faith in giving someone a chance than not, as sacking doesn't give success. History with us has proven that. However...I've seen enough to think he could pull it round. I know I'm in the minority on this forum. So he'll get my support, unless he loses the plot.

Seriously....how much of a chance does he need?

1 minute ago, Neo said:

True but :-

1. Lansdown is a big a fan as you or me

2. Lansdown's contribution to "our club" is much bigger than ours will ever be.

Suggesting he is almost an irrelevance as you have in your post asked is quite frankly laughable and certainly disrespectful - but each to their own !!

I bet he wasn't at Crewe in 1982, when we got knobbed 4-1.

3 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

I am pretty light dude, maybe you should take your own advice

Besides not my golden boy, its SL's.

Oh and its your :P

Oh wow!... I'm not usually guilty of that.

I guess I must have had some other response on my mind. ;-)

8 minutes ago, Neo said:

1. Lansdown is a big a fan as you or me

2. Lansdown's contribution to "our club" is much bigger than ours will ever be

and his bank balance, house, etc, etc is bigger so what? he knows **** all about stonework and I`ve probably seen more games than him :chant6ez:

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I'm no happy clapper...and gutted and so frustrated at our recent results. But I'm going to support City, and hope the players and LJ turn round our fortunes.

Changing the manager doesn't guarantee a change in fortune. We've tried that so many times...and it has never worked. I'm glad we are bucking the trend.

The more I read people slagging off the manager, when we know he's trying his hardest for the club, the more my hackles go up.

It makes me even more determined to get behind the lads. I'll support the likes of Mark Little even more, even if he isn't good enough, because he gives 100%.

So easy just to slag people off when it's not going well and say sack the manager, like there is some magic wand.

For all those jumping ship....see ya...jog on...don't come crawling back if he turns it round and rams it down your throat. Oh yeah you'll be back...sing when your winning crowd.

C'mon Lee...C'mon lads...COYR's...

I can try really hard if you like?

23 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I bet he wasn't at Crewe in 1982, when we got knobbed 4-1.

I doubt it too - probably working his nads off to build his fortune that has bank rolled your club for years.

But we will bow to you instead as this is obviously a far bigger commitment than SL has ever made !! :yes:

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I'm no happy clapper...and gutted and so frustrated at our recent results. But I'm going to support City, and hope the players and LJ turn round our fortunes.

Changing the manager doesn't guarantee a change in fortune. We've tried that so many times...and it has never worked. I'm glad we are bucking the trend.

The more I read people slagging off the manager, when we know he's trying his hardest for the club, the more my hackles go up.

It makes me even more determined to get behind the lads. I'll support the likes of Mark Little even more, even if he isn't good enough, because he gives 100%.

So easy just to slag people off when it's not going well and say sack the manager, like there is some magic wand.

* For all those jumping ship....see ya...jog on...don't come crawling back if he turns it round and rams it down your throat. Oh yeah you'll be back...sing when your winning crowd.

C'mon Lee...C'mon lads...COYR's...

Surprised at some of this post if I'm honest Spud

You have slated some of the players in recent weeks yet you purport it's outrageous for people to do so in respect of the head coach

Your paragraph that I've marked * I've got to say doesn't come across well if I'm honest - surprised at you - It's a bit of a  'Superfan'' type rant mate

I can guarantee that at least of some of the most vocal wanting LJ will also be some of the most passionate fans we have.

1 minute ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Christ yes...I went and we were utter dogshit.

Yeah but that was the good times - my best years at the gate was on the terraces in the old 4th division - filled you with pride to stand with only 4000 or so watching us get turned over by some pathetic excuse for teams who were still somehow better.

Great days - on the City Dart with a litre bottle of natch pulling out the red break glass hammer so many times the driver gave up and accepted the fact you were nicking it no matter what !!

Just now, Neo said:

Yeah but that was the good times - my best years at the gate was on the terraces in the old 4th division - filled you with pride to stand with only 4000 or so watching us get turned over by some pathetic excuse for teams who were still somehow better.

Great days - on the City Dart with a litre bottle of natch pulling out the red break glass hammer so many times the driver gave up and accepted the fact you were nicking it no matter what !!

Totally agree! Went to some belting away games in Div 4.....best times that I had watching City.

10 minutes ago, Neo said:

I doubt it too - probably working his nads off to build his fortune that has bank rolled your club for years.

But we will bow to you instead as this is obviously a far bigger commitment than SL has ever made !! :yes:

I love this awestruck idolisation we're supposed to have for people wealthier than we can imagine, who can afford to throw a tiny proportion of it at a hobby, for instance owning a football club. Whole bunch of people on here working their nads off blowing a greater proportion of their wages watching the crap he's serving up for us.

1 minute ago, reddoc said:

I love this awestruck idolisation we're supposed to have for people wealthier than we can imagine, who can afford to throw a tiny proportion of it at a hobby, for instance owning a football club. Whole bunch of people on here working their nads off blowing a greater proportion of their wages watching the crap he's serving up for us.

Every one of us has to value what we are willing to pay towards the BCFC business. When SL responds to an interview in full support, with no expectations for the next couple of games, makes me question my following. Not support, I will always support BCFC, but there is a very wealthy family dictating how our club is run in Bristol which, unfortunately, I cannot agree with. 

7 minutes ago, reddoc said:

No need for awestruck idolisation, just a level of respect for what he has put in to sport in this great part of the world.

I dont subscribe to the hobby bit though - you don't throw away good money for any passing interest no matter how much you got.

And yes our input each season is much more in terms of percentage of wealth but all of our combined input does not keep a football club going so we need a sugar daddy type whether we like it or not.

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

No need for awestruck idolisation, just a level of respect for what he has put in to sport in thugs great part of the world.

I dont subscribe to the hobby bit though - you don't throw away good money for any passing interest no matter how much you got.

And yes our input each season is much more in terms of percentage of wealth but all of our combined input does not keep a football club going so we need a sugar daddy type whether we like it or not.

I absolutely appreciate what he has done, but I wish he ran the club like he ran his business. We should have been in the Prem years ago, if he had been more shrewd and professional.

Archived