IGNORED

SL's awful record of choosing managers

Alessandro

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

This league is a nightmare mate...only 3 can go up. Look at the other teams in this league with far better pedigree and experience. Some have been in it for years. This is only our second season, with lots of new recruits throughout the Club. Unfortunately it could take years of yo yoing between top and bottom of this division.

I don't expect or even hope for top 3/promotion, spud. I hoped this season would be largely uneventful, with us not troubling either end of the table, and Lee Tomlin providing a few moments of excitement - and maybe a cup run. 

23 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I don't expect or even hope for top 3/promotion, spud. I hoped this season would be largely uneventful, with us not troubling either end of the table, and Lee Tomlin providing a few moments of excitement - and maybe a cup run. 

So was I...but I'm realistic to realise there are numerous reasons why it's not happened. Which have been done to death on here.

30 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I am pretty sure that SL and LJ will beg to differ on that one, unless of course they have bullshitting about their aspirations set out in the summer.

Which is part of the overall problem IMO, SL and LJ saying what they said.

They have to sell tickets...they are hardly going to say 'we have no aspirations'...most realise the realities in this league.

17 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

IMO It's preposterous for rose tinters to glibly say we only need 3 wins to be mid-table.

Really, well the reality is that we will need over 3 months to get those on our form.

No one is glibly saying anything...it's a fact. I'm sure the likes of Norwich and Aston Villa are happy as well.

Honestly mate...you're definitely closer to that long nosed monkey than me ;-) Perhaps you need their four stomachs to digest it all ;-)

58 minutes ago, spudski said:

This league is a nightmare mate...only 3 can go up. Look at the other teams in this league with far better pedigree and experience. Some have been in it for years. This is only our second season, with lots of new recruits throughout the Club. Unfortunately it could take years of yo yoing between top and bottom of this division.

More likely at the moment is yo-young between Championship and League One!

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

They have to sell tickets...they are hardly going to say 'we have no aspirations'...most realise the realities in this league.

Great what BS will they come up with now you've let the cat out of the bag?.

No one is glibly saying anything...it's a fact. I'm sure the likes of Norwich and Aston Villa are happy as well.

Honestly mate...you're definitely closer to that long nosed monkey than me ;-) Perhaps you need their four stomachs to digest it all ;-)

i'm sorry Spud that was rude and ignorant and totally unnecessary, he has a point, 3 wins now may propel us to mid table if the mid table teams don't win but in a months time 3 wins might just keep our head above the bottom 3.

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

It was a play on the word 'Preposterous'...no harm intended, just a bit of fun. They have four stomachs...hence easier to digest what's happening.

Never mind...can see where this is going AGAIN. I'm off. Enjoy...maybe you'll have your moment of gloating come the end. I get the feeling you'd actually enjoy being right, than us doing better.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

It was a play on the word 'Preposterous'...no harm intended, just a bit of fun. They have four stomachs...hence easier to digest what's happening.

Never mind...can see where this is going AGAIN. I'm off. Enjoy...maybe you'll have your moment of gloating come the end. I get the feeling you'd actually enjoy being right, than us doing better.

And I get the feeling that is probably the most stupid thing that you have ever said on this forum and something that I would never say about you even though you still indulge in it over SC, I wouldn't say it because you are BCFC fan, you don't know me, my weekend is ****** right every time we lose and if lose midweek thats my week ****** up and that is a lot of weekends and weeks. over the past nearly 45 years many a time I have pissed my missus off by saying "do you know what, i'm really not in the mood to go out tonight" because of BCFC losing.

And also if you had bothered to check, I was an LJ convert who stuck with him until the Cardiff game but still said the Forest game would be the kicker for me, so even if you were correct (which you are not) my joy would have only started on Monday because my weekend had already been ****** up.

You always act like a spoiled kid when people aren't blowing smoke up your arse.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Whoever said anything about going up?

I'd be happy with a season not fretting that we'll be down among the dead men, because of the clueless wonder we have in charge.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

We are 3 wins off being mid table with Villa...3 wins difference. Yes we are on a bad run, and failing to get points this part of the season, but lets see where we are with 5 games to shall we, or something along those lines. If we end up mid to lower in the table, then most would see that as progress and not failure.

So having purchased 17 players, if we had won almost 40% more games than we actually have won, we would be 13th.

13th!!!!!

But we haven't.

And so it isn't.

@billywedlock technically  Danny Wilson fits the criteria of your first para but didn't succeed at City

Otherwise I agree with the sentiments of your post. McCarthy would be a good shout for us. I was speaking to a Ipswich fan yday who lives locally and it sounds like he'll get the boot soon enough. Give him the resources (which he hasn't really had at Ipswich) and he would stabilise us at this level I believe.

18 hours ago, Griffin said:

Didn't they sack him when he was hovering over the drop zone? Successful until then, which is why they kept him, then sacked on a bad run?

Adkins would be a good appointment for us. He started the Southampton revival  took them from L1 to Prem. Didn't work out for him at Sheff U but had little money. 

I think the figures only point a partial picture. One area to look at is how many of our ex-managers have fared after they've left Ashton Gate. 

Keith Millen has had some success as an assistant at a higher level than us, and was well-liked by Crystal Palace fans. McInnes has a fantastic win percentage at Aberdeen (albeit, in a weak one-team league), SOD has struggled outside of an assistant role, and Cotterill has yet to take another job, probably because he's still getting paid by us.

Outside of maybe SOD, who to be fair did work with the FA for a bit, our previous managers have found success outside of the club. If we sack LJ, it wouldn't surprise me to succeed in his next role.

For me, the telling part is that the only person to achieve success with us outside of Gary Johnson was Cotterill, the only two people in the last ten years to not be hired as head coaches. This indicates to me that it's not the people we're hiring, it's the management of these head coaches by the board.

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

I think the figures only point a partial picture. One area to look at is how many of our ex-managers have fared after they've left Ashton Gate. 

Keith Millen has had some success as an assistant at a higher level than us, and was well-liked by Crystal Palace fans. McInnes has a fantastic win percentage at Aberdeen (albeit, in a weak one-team league), SOD has struggled outside of an assistant role, and Cotterill has yet to take another job, probably because he's still getting paid by us.

Outside of maybe SOD, who to be fair did work with the FA for a bit, our previous managers have found success outside of the club. If we sack LJ, it wouldn't surprise me to succeed in his next role.

For me, the telling part is that the only person to achieve success with us outside of Gary Johnson was Cotterill, the only two people in the last ten years to not be hired as head coaches. This indicates to me that it's not the people we're hiring, it's the management of these head coaches by the board.

Good thought provoking post :thumbsup:

There is no definitive right or wrong way.

The issue we face is that Lansdown wants an operating model where the only responsibilities of the manager are to pick the team. They aren't supposed to be involved in any other aspect. I believe this is the real reason we didn't manage to recruit an established name last time round as they want to be hands on with everything, particularly transfers.

1 minute ago, Ray White said:

The issue we face is that Lansdown wants an operating model where the only responsibilities of the manager are to pick the team. They aren't supposed to be involved in any other aspect. I believe this is the real reason we didn't manage to recruit an established name last time round as they want to be hands on with everything, particularly transfers.

Possibly but in the modern game it is becoming impossible to manage like that,so they either adapt or go and manage Cardiff .

56 minutes ago, Ray White said:

Probably why Coppell did a runner 

Archived