IGNORED

Taylor - a Gas view

Former Pirate

56 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Did SL see it as a legitimate way of stopping the progress of the noisy neighbours, who are creeping closer, and could end up being a big embarrasment to him, given the money he's invested? Will Mr Taylor end up being nothing but a glorified bench warmer?

Interesting times ahead on both sides of the river.

Don't flatter yourselves sweet cheeks.

3 hours ago, In the Net said:

Did SL see it as a legitimate way of stopping the progress of the noisy neighbours, who are creeping closer, and could end up being a big embarrasment to him, given the money he's invested? 

Ridiculously paranoid, whether that's your personal view or you're just repeating the theory spouted by Gasheads all over social media? I dunno....I think you've got more brains than that 'In the Net'.

The fact is that Taylor has already proved he can score goals in league 1, he's obviously a good striker (wasn't he the leagues highest scorer last season?). He may or may not be good enough for the Championship, we'll find that out over the next couple of months. We are in a relegation battle and signing a goalscorer for peanuts seems like a decent, low risk bit of business from BCFC and a massive fuck up from BRFC who allowed this situation in the first place by agreeing to the release clause (however low it was). 

Also, whilst I don't really want to think about it, IF the worst was to happen and we end up relegated, Id rather have Taylor scoring goals for us than against us.

Instead of your fellow Gas concerning themselves with our owners and making up silly theories about SL panicking because we might end up in the same division, they should be asking questions of your own owners. 'Evolution not Revolution' seems to be code for 'we don't want to spend any real money'. The way I see it, SL has his sights set firmly on progression of BCFC and he's willing to put his money where his mouth is. I think it's deluded beyond belief to think for one second that we signed Taylor JUST to spite the Gas...no matter how amusing we as fans have found it. I'm afraid our owners have got much bigger fish to fry.

No offence to you ITN. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, In the Net said:

Was this signing to deflect the heat from LJ?  Did SL see it as a legitimate way of stopping the progress of the noisy neighbours, who are creeping closer, and could end up being a big embarrasment to him, given the money he's invested? Will Mr Taylor end up being nothing but a glorified bench warmer?

That was supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek - a sort of "tune in next week to see what happens" ending to my post, given the drama that played out yesterday afternoon.

It's been a stressful 24 hours! :wacko:

I think the thing to remember above the Rovers connections, is that he is a proven goalscorer at every level so far. If it turns out that he isn't up to Championship standard, at the price we've paid for him, you could easily offload him to a league 1 team for the same price if not more. It's a no brainer. That's providing we don't go down of course....

For what it's worth, I think he will do very well at this level, and I don't think we'll go down. We still need fullbacks, at least on the right side, and maybe an upgrade on Flint (tin hat on). With Cotterill on board along with Taylor I think we have the markings of a team that can push up the table with a few wins.

22 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Tbf, there are a few gasheads on here that aren't tools. @In the Net @bert tann as well as yourself Mr Pirate. 

Thanks for showing your acquaintances how they will be treated on OTIB if they didn't start with the stupidity.

Only wish some of us can have healthy debate/friendly banter over on gaschat.

When will you all learn that @bert tann is not Gas!  C'mon, purrlease!! ;)

I must ask FP/ ITN or any other of our 'visitors' (good post by the way FP), would MT have even signed the contract last summer without the 'release clause' being that figure? I wonder if he was hankering for a move but didn't want to be priced out of one while protecting your club so that you would, at least, get something?

I appreciate it's us, which rankles, but he seems to have done little wrong apart from moving across the city. If it was any other Championship club etc etc?

4 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

It's for the best Bert,you might get death threats.

Sadly that's true.  And regretfully all clubs have some total melts that take things too far.  Not unlike Steve Phillips who had death threats and bricks through windows when he joined the Gas, and to this day he hasn't gone out for a drink again in the City Centre for fear of reprisals (apparently he's on Points West later too to talk about it).

So it's very sad and a terribly sorry state of affairs when football fans go to such extremes over someone just doing their job but this isn't an area where City fans can claim the moral high ground I'm afraid, all clubs City included have their fair share of morons!

2 minutes ago, DancinDannyD said:

Sadly that's true.  And regretfully all clubs have some total melts that take things too far.  Not unlike Steve Phillips who had death threats and bricks through windows when he joined the Gas, and to this day he hasn't gone out for a drink again in the City Centre for fear of reprisals (apparently he's on Points West later too to talk about it).

So it's very sad and a terribly sorry state of affairs when football fans go to such extremes over someone just doing their job but this isn't an area where City fans can claim the moral high ground I'm afraid, all clubs City included have their fair share of morons!

A reasonable point DDD, though I have to say Flapper's not missing anything by giving the city centre boozers a wide berth. ;)

20 minutes ago, DancinDannyD said:

The ridiculous thing is Phillips moved on because we weren't offering him first team football didn't he?  I mean I can understand the anger - although it does not excuse violence, intimidation or threats of violence or intimidation - if a player playing regular football moves to his rivals because he perceives them a bigger club but I had no issue at all with Phillips joining Rovers and nor would I with any other player who was surplus to requirements...

11 minutes ago, Im_over_ere said:

Something that surprises me is that no other Championship club were willing to take a risk at a mere $300,000.

We dont definately know if it was 300k despite being put on several rumour sites. According to rovers hes on anywhere from 10k - 20k and he cost between 3 and 8 million.

11 hours ago, In the Net said:

An accurate summary from FB. You'll need to be patient with Mr T, as he does miss a fair few chances and will need to adjust to the faster pace of the Championship. Giving him a few pointers regarding the offside rule might be useful - or the linesmen could end up with RSI.

The reality is that for 99% of footballers these days, it is a job, and if Joe Bloggs Utd down the road offer more money, then they're off. It is a short career, he's almost 27, so probably his last chance to go for the big pay packet. Securing a better future for his family is a priority for him, the same as the rest of us. I guess the opportunity to ply his trade in a higher league for three months may have influenced his decision too!

He's not from Bristol, and he's never experienced the heat and passion of a Bristol derby, but, for me, he's lost his "legend" status in our history by moving across town. He was part of our rise from the ashes, and for that I thank him, and I am not one of those who could wish any ill will upon a player.  DC obviously saw something in him, and stuck with him when it looked like he couldn't hit a barn door - 'tis going to be a hard pill to swallow if you lot end up reaping the benefits of this!

Was this signing to deflect the heat from LJ?  Did SL see it as a legitimate way of stopping the progress of the noisy neighbours, who are creeping closer, and could end up being a big embarrasment to him, given the money he's invested? Will Mr Taylor end up being nothing but a glorified bench warmer?

Prior to this window we had two strikers on our books permanently, Wilbs who will soon be collecting his pension and Engvall who despite looking promising hasn't for some reason managed to get into the first team.

So you may comfort yourselves with the thought that we've only signed him to halt your progress but the truth is we needed a striker and thats what we have got. Nothing more to it.

You may be creeping closer position wise but trust me you are still a billion light years away from us off of the pitch.

Matty Taylor looked like all his Christmas's and birthdays came at once when he was looking around AG. 

12 hours ago, In the Net said:

Seriously, have a word with yourself. 

1 hour ago, DancinDannyD said:

That's more of a reflection on flapper and his inflated opinion of himself than our fans. No one gives a shit!

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

We dont definately know if it was 300k despite being put on several rumour sites. According to rovers hes on anywhere from 10k - 20k and he cost between 3 and 8 million.

Rumour was that Cardiff were interested - maybe they couldn't match the wages on offer at AG, or maybe he preferred not to up sticks and move? Not sure we'll ever know what money changed hands, this morning's favourite seems to be £300k and paying up the rest of his contract - still a no brainer to buy him anyway.  A fair number of Rovers fans thought that he wouldn't be up to making the grade from Conference to League Two, and similarly to League One, but he did, and you could see his game improving as he progressed. No particular reason to assume that he can't do so again, so will be watching with interest (not literally watching, of course!)

Some out of order stuff on social media yesterday, hopefully all talk and no action, as per usual for such morons.

Archived