IGNORED

That new keeper.

GrahamC

I now know what Rob F meant after his report on Saturday.

Christ on a bike, he was just awful tonight, considering his height he had no presence at all, he nearly got caught out once when he messed up with the ball at his feet and what on earth was that punch late on to a 5mph daisy cutter that he saw all the way?

Simply dreadful, having watched Lucic v Preston who was almost as bad you do have to wonder who is watching these keepers..

I think it's a tricky one because particularly for Keepers they need to be in sync with the defence and all new keepers need a bedding in period with their defence. Whilst his English is very good it still will take him longer to achieve total cohesion given the second language. 

Think he needs to be given the benefit of a few games to make a proper judgement - then again we can't really afford to give him that. 

Lucic has got plenty of time to improve and I think potential is there to be a good keeper based on what little I've seen. I was right behind the goal in the south stand for the Preston game and bar that error I thought he wasn't that bad really.

Haven't seen the first goal, but LJ said that, having seen the replay, he would not have got it if he'd come for the ball. And the second half 'punch' - wet surface, greasy ball, low and skidding off the ground - he got enough distance on it for me to make it safe. That said, I agree he didn't inspire confidence.

Ok I'm gonna put my tin hat on and await incoming bombing BUT we can't keep blaming the keeper. 

I kept seeing people on here when FF was in goal saying that he doesn't instil confidence in the defence, which makes them nervous and therefore perform worse. Are we seriously going to say the same with FG and IL?

We've used 4 GK's this season and had the same net outcome with each - we're leakier than a pensioner's bladder. This to me tells me that the problem simply cannot be entirely down to the GK unsettling the defence. 

It's a bit of a chicken and egg argument but for me, a GK draws his confidence from the back 4/5/3 in front of him. ESPECIALLY the centre halves. 

There's one player who's been a stalwart in our back line this season, perhaps we should be looking there, instead of constantly blaming the keeper for having poor confidence. How's the keeper supposed to have confidence when the back line is unstable?

15 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Ok I'm gonna put my tin hat on and await incoming bombing BUT we can't keep blaming the keeper. 

I kept seeing people on here when FF was in goal saying that he doesn't instil confidence in the defence, which makes them nervous and therefore perform worse. Are we seriously going to say the same with FG and IL?

We've used 4 GK's this season and had the same net outcome with each - we're leakier than a pensioner's bladder. This to me tells me that the problem simply cannot be entirely down to the GK unsettling the defence. 

It's a bit of a chicken and egg argument but for me, a GK draws his confidence from the back 4/5/3 in front of him. ESPECIALLY the centre halves. 

There's one player who's been a stalwart in our back line this season, perhaps we should be looking there, instead of constantly blaming the keeper for having poor confidence. How's the keeper supposed to have confidence when the back line is unstable?

I don't think anyone is blaming him.  People are just saying he looked rubbish, and I'm afraid he did.

When did a Bristol City keeper last make a save of any description?  Can anyone remember?  I can't.

25 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Haven't seen the first goal, but LJ said that, having seen the replay, he would not have got it if he'd come for the ball. And the second half 'punch' - wet surface, greasy ball, low and skidding off the ground - he got enough distance on it for me to make it safe. That said, I agree he didn't inspire confidence.

Re the pushed save near the end, that ball moved a fair bit from my angle so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I will say he didn't fill me with much confidence at all. Benefit of the doubt for now though...

New league, new team and second language. I'll give the benefit of the doubt that he'll get better but fair enough wasn't a great first impression. I'll tell you what though, first half ball went out of play and I caught it. Proper slick it gets so I'll have that new appreciation when judging when a keeper comes to catch or punch! 

56 minutes ago, ploppy said:

He said he would "destroy the mistakes" though... :whistle:

Notable quote wasn't it. The sort of arrogance you want in a keeper as long as he can back it up on the pitch.

He certainly talks a good game, something that would resonate with our coach I'm sure.

Hopefully tonight's jitters were a one off, the last thing we wanted was a nervous keeper in need of time to settle.

Just now, Fordy62 said:

Did you see him tonight? If you had you wouldn't say it was an overreaction. 

Yes I did, and I'd still say it is an overreaction. First goal really wasn't down to him. Came off his line more than I've seen Frankie do in his whole city career.

Archived