IGNORED

That new keeper.

GrahamC

8 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Yes I did, and I'd still say it is an overreaction. First goal really wasn't down to him. Came off his line more than I've seen Frankie do in his whole city career.

First goal was poor defending. The ball over the top ended up in that corridor of uncertainty for a goalkeeper. You either commit yourself to charging out or you stay on your line. He left his line then decided he wasn't going to get there and retreated to his line. I'll give him the benefit of doubt with the ball skidding through on a greasy surface.

Yes he did look dodgy, but im going to stick my neck out here, and whilst i love the guy for what he's done but........maybe its time to realise flint isnt the hero we think he may be? 4 keepers and 2 seasons of a silly amount of goals conceded and mistakes made with only one stalwart throughout that time........ would like to see a pairing of magnusson and wright for a little while if im being honest. Still think Flint has a lot to offer but would be interesting to see how we do with him given a little break.

16 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Yes I did, and I'd still say it is an overreaction. First goal really wasn't down to him. Came off his line more than I've seen Frankie do in his whole city career.

For me the points of note were

- not in that first goal incident where he was blameless;

- lackadaisical in distribution. Under little pressure he hit a daisy cutter which required BW to hook.  Not  long after he kicked against an attacking forward - such a rare phenomenon it's always a mistake. Also a couple of kicks straight in to touch

- injury time parry; sorry, greasy surface etc.. never acceptable for me. Put it very wide or concede a corner. The ball's first bounce should NEVER be in the 18 yard box. I still think  not catching it was a weakness.. he's not a basement keeper, he was courted as a Neuer understudy, taking that shot should have been within him. 

- positives, a couple of good takes. But, the takes were always bad crosses aimed 'at' him rather than requiring him to show quick feet. 

He could be absolutely mint. Hope he is. I've seen him for only 90m. Far too little to form an opinion on his quality. But, it's enough to give him a rating based upon tonight though, and I struggle to see why he deserved over 5/10. 

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Correct. Utterly feeble. We're too easy to score against, needs sorting. This, for me, is why I don't think the LJ experiment will work.

Tbf I'm not sure LJ can be blamed for the first goal, basic defending cock up.

Bannan not pressed (could say LJ has some responsibility for this), but most importantly midfield runner just went straight across the two CBs and neither of them tracked him (I'd say more Wright's fuck up than Flint's). 

Seemed to me that he isn't comfortable kicking left-footed. The one that was charged down by the SW player was played back to his left. That is basic defending that the coaches should have sorted with them. If you know he needs it on his right DON'T pass it to his left side for christ's sake! Professionally coached teams know and communicate that to their defenders. Watch the prem - you see them taking care to angle a back pass to the correct side of the keeper.

Hopefully the defenders will sort this out - if not what the heck are our coaching staff being paid for? Rant over. Good night and thank goodness the horrendous run of Ls has been broken.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I now know what Rob F meant after his report on Saturday.

Christ on a bike, he was just awful tonight, considering his height he had no presence at all, he nearly got caught out once when he messed up with the ball at his feet and what on earth was that punch late on to a 5mph daisy cutter that he saw all the way?

Simply dreadful, having watched Lucic v Preston who was almost as bad you do have to wonder who is watching these keepers..

He has a right foot that he can kick with , he has a left foot he can stand on , don't be thick play it to his right foot or kick into row Z or the upper lansdown

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Seemed to me that he isn't comfortable kicking left-footed. The one that was charged down by the SW player was played back to his left. That is basic defending that the coaches should have sorted with them. If you know he needs it on his right DON'T pass it to his left side for christ's sake! Professionally coached teams know and communicate that to their defenders. Watch the prem - you see them taking care to angle a back pass to the correct side of the keeper.

Hopefully the defenders will sort this out - if not what the heck are our coaching staff being paid for? Rant over. Good night and thank goodness the horrendous run of Ls has been broken.

so more eloquent post than mine

46 minutes ago, stogursey red said:

He has the making of a good keeper his shot stopping is good just needs to get the confidence to come out and command is area more, as he gets settled into the team hopefully that will come,

He made two poor mistakes tonight but not going to write him off just yet

Think you're right. Needs to get on the weights and have a better physical presence, he should be knocking forwards over for fun.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

New league, new team and second language. I'll give the benefit of the doubt that he'll get better but fair enough wasn't a great first impression. I'll tell you what though, first half ball went out of play and I caught it. Proper slick it gets so I'll have that new appreciation when judging when a keeper comes to catch or punch! 

We don't have time to let a new keeper bed in.  He needs to get himself sorted....quickly.

Joe - have you seen or used any pro keeper gloves.  I've got Frankie's at home (Gift from Frank to Joe), and I know it was greasy tonight, but they stick to the ball to some extent.  Having said that, they have some re-inforcement, to stop your fingers getting bent back, which means you don't Cup your hands round the ball like you would've done with the Peter Bonetti PBs back in the day.  Google them if you're too young!

Trust me though, they definitely Assist the keeper.

I think Lucic will be number one next season, with Max battling it out with either Frank (if we keep him) or a new keeper.  @GrahamC - you may disagree.

25 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I do agree but with a simple caveat. Greasy pitch. Pass to his strong foot only if that is away from the goal. Otherwise pass to his left where  necessary  

He's a goalkeeper. Taking a kick with his weak foot should be a significant enough part of his training regime to obtain some competence. 

I alwahs prefers back pass to be going for a corner if keeper misses it. For that reason, if it is necessary - and in light of weak foot work - we should pass to weak foot. 

Ironic people calling for Fielding to return. Guess people forget what he did in his first home game.

Edit - And that's not a dig at Frankie btw. Just pointing out how it takes time for a keeper to settle, especially coming midway through the season from a foreign country.

I'm looking forward to the Matt Smith-Raquel "we were wrong, he saved our season, sign Giefer, he's a god amongst men, I shall give him my first-born as a sacrifice to his brilliance" threads come May

MARK. MY. WORDS

(probably. I wasn't there last night, this is just how these things tend to go)

9 hours ago, italian dave said:

Haven't seen the first goal, but LJ said that, having seen the replay, he would not have got it if he'd come for the ball. And the second half 'punch' - wet surface, greasy ball, low and skidding off the ground - he got enough distance on it for me to make it safe. That said, I agree he didn't inspire confidence.

LJ, as usual, talking a pile of steaming hot crap.

8 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

First goal was totally down to him. He should have come out and claimed it before a cross ever came in, end of discussion.

4 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

No - remember the 5mph grass cutter he let in against Reading. Give him a chance.

Agree DS - was having a chuckle in my post as we've used four keepers this season and havnt found one who can go two games without error !!!

A worrying issue - Let's hope Gieffer settles !

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Yes mate. I'd put it as the worst keeping performance I've seen by any keeper for a long time. Excluding Bravo. 

I'd have to agree that he didn't look great but for me he didn't stand out so much for the wrong reasons either.

Experience tells me that you can't always make an accurate player assessment even after 4 matches.:yes:

Archived