IGNORED

That new keeper.

GrahamC

He looks a stereotypical bad continental goalkeeper. Couldnt see the excitement about this bloke in the first place. Played 99% of his career at a struggling Bundesliga 2 side.

No better if not worse than Frank Fielding

In the meantime as I mentioned weeks ago before the deal was done a certain former Glasgow Rangers and Scotland goalkeeper Allan McGregor was available and has now gone to Cardiff.

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

I'm looking forward to the Matt Smith-Raquel "we were wrong, he saved our season, sign Giefer, he's a god amongst men, I shall give him my first-born as a sacrifice to his brilliance" threads come May

MARK. MY. WORDS

(probably. I wasn't there last night, this is just how these things tend to go)

as they say you had to be there!

11 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I don't think anyone is blaming him.  People are just saying he looked rubbish, and I'm afraid he did.

When did a Bristol City keeper last make a save of any description?  Can anyone remember?  I can't.

Heaton pulled off a blinder many times & probably pulled off the best save I've ever seen.

Only giving him a 1 year contract was one of our biggest mistakes ever when we hand out longer ones to pure dross over the years.

4 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

I think our other keepers may not have even saved the last shot!. Reading game anyone!

I thought the same.

That said, he looked very shaky at times. Some poor kicks and glued to his line too much.

But he's not played much, is used to a continental system where they just roll the ball out to the nearest defender and never catch if they can punch.

I'm not writing the guy off yet. He's work in progress. Certainly has the physical attributes to do the job.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

First goal was totally down to him. He should have come out and claimed it before a cross ever came in, end of discussion.

I think the three defenders who allowed the cross to be made might share some responsibility to be honest....

He didn't instill much confidence but I think people are being a little harsh. 

Dodgy moments:

1) He had no business coming out for the first goal, Flint and Little were flat footed there.

2) The shot he parried, as already said, the rain was coming down hard at this point and IIRC it swerved and bounced in front of him and skidded up off the surface. The punch got it far enough away though. 

3) First dodgy kick was put on his weak left foot. They then went and put it again on his left foot meaning it had to try and take a touch and almost got kippered. Not good though I admit. 

4) Flapped at a corner but the foul was given.

Thought he looked solid enough rest of the game, still new and still getting used to the team and environment.

I am also in the camp of believing it's the defence and I will probably get shot down for this but I really believe we need to cash in on Flint in the summer and build a back 4 around Wright and Magnusson. As much as I love the bloke, I think as a defender he is limited and isn't good enough at tracking his man or organising the defence despite him being a 'leader' type figure.

Personally I would like to see something like this next season (assuming we stay up):

Lucic / New GK

Vyner-----Wright-----Magnusson-----Bryan

I've got a gut feeling that Vyner will turn out to be a really good defender. He looks athletic which will allow him to play the all round full back role very well.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We don't have time to let a new keeper bed in.  He needs to get himself sorted....quickly.

Joe - have you seen or used any pro keeper gloves.  I've got Frankie's at home (Gift from Frank to Joe), and I know it was greasy tonight, but they stick to the ball to some extent.  Having said that, they have some re-inforcement, to stop your fingers getting bent back, which means you don't Cup your hands round the ball like you would've done with the Peter Bonetti PBs back in the day.  Google them if you're too young!

Trust me though, they definitely Assist the keeper.

I think Lucic will be number one next season, with Max battling it out with either Frank (if we keep him) or a new keeper.  @GrahamC - you may disagree.

Never used keeper gloves tbf. And don't get me wrong we don't have much time to get results but I think(hope) he'll be like Matt Smith was. Just quite rusty and needing to get back up to speed for a few games. Hasn't played many games in a few years and that has to be hard as a keeper. He's got the pedigree of a top championship keeper though so we have to hope. I don't think he cost us last night but he definitely wasn't as cool as I expected him to be. 

2 hours ago, joeyb said:

I am also in the camp of believing it's the defence and I will probably get shot down for this but I really believe we need to cash in on Flint in the summer and build a back 4 around Wright and Magnusson. As much as I love the bloke, I think as a defender he is limited and isn't good enough at tracking his man or organising the defence despite him being a 'leader' type figure.

Personally I would like to see something like this next season (assuming we stay up):

Lucic / New GK

Vyner-----Wright-----Magnusson-----Bryan

I've got a gut feeling that Vyner will turn out to be a really good defender. He looks athletic which will allow him to play the all round full back role very well.

Good back 4 & yes Vyner's filled out a lot and looks the part as more experienced now after Chris Hughton taught him a harsh lesson last season by targeting him in his tactics by one of the best full backs the game has seen; but hopefully that's done him the world of good.

14 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Ok I'm gonna put my tin hat on and await incoming bombing BUT we can't keep blaming the keeper. 

I kept seeing people on here when FF was in goal saying that he doesn't instil confidence in the defence, which makes them nervous and therefore perform worse. Are we seriously going to say the same with FG and IL?

We've used 4 GK's this season and had the same net outcome with each - we're leakier than a pensioner's bladder. This to me tells me that the problem simply cannot be entirely down to the GK unsettling the defence. 

It's a bit of a chicken and egg argument but for me, a GK draws his confidence from the back 4/5/3 in front of him. ESPECIALLY the centre halves. 

There's one player who's been a stalwart in our back line this season, perhaps we should be looking there, instead of constantly blaming the keeper for having poor confidence. How's the keeper supposed to have confidence when the back line is unstable?

Hey, please leave my bladder out of this.........  :gasmask:

Can't comment on his overall performance, but he wasn't really at fault for the 1st goal. If he'd come out to try and collect the ball I doubt he'd have got it and he'd have been castigated on here for a rash decision. Hopefully a bit of understanding between keeper and defence will be develop soon. As for the punch out, it wasn't ideal but the ball bounced right in front of him, it was wet and he actually pushed it out towards several city players. Ideal? No. Disasterous? Not really

2 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Can't comment on his overall performance, but he wasn't really at fault for the 1st goal. If he'd come out to try and collect the ball I doubt he'd have got it and he'd have been castigated on here for a rash decision. Hopefully a bit of understanding between keeper and defence will be develop soon. As for the punch out, it wasn't ideal but the ball bounced right in front of him, it was wet and he actually pushed it out towards several city players. Ideal? No. Disasterous? Not really

So you're saying he had a good game?

6 minutes ago, ontariored said:

Who is our goalkeeping coach? and how are the coaches able to coach and mentor him   .... or is it the blind leading the blind!!!

Answering my own question, from the BCFC website i can now see its David Coles who has coached at West Ham and coached David Green. However, his playing days was mainly at non-league Aldershot. Hopefully he is a good mentor and is assessing the keepers on a regular basis and has the respect of the keepers....

3 minutes ago, swanker said:

So you're saying he had a good game?

Nope, wasn't there. I'm specifically addressing the criticism of the his role in the first goal (which was unfair) and the save he made where the ball spilled out into the box (partly justified, still a little unfair)

Archived