IGNORED

The O'Driscoll Banner

GrahamC

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

If you look at our managers win rate in the Championship...

SoD  23%

Cotts  15%

LJ  38%

In fact LJ's win rate in the Championship is even better than his old mans.

Not saying he's perfect...but he's still got a better record than GJ and Cotts who both gave us good seasons in league 1....and under GJ one good season in the Championship.

Exactly.

And no manager is perfect. Even world class managers get things wrong. (Before one of the professional spin doctors come along, I am not saying LJ is world class or comparing him to one.)

The fact LJ is still learning on the job means he will make the mistakes a bit more frequently for the time being, some of us can live with that and look at the long term, others it seems can't.

I'm happy to stick with LJ unless he will take us down, next year though he must do far better than where we currently are.

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I have to say that comes as quite a shock- our position with that win ratio makes little sense. That's a midtable win ratio,

That's last season masking this season, over a brief, 1 year period in charge. 

He won't maintain that ratio. 

5 hours ago, SARJ said:

As a midget Jew with a Bristolian accent, you can imagine the verbal abuse I get off my mates, colleagues and people I play sport against. But guess what? It's banter which I take on the chin and dish back. 

Other people I know would go crying cap in hand to the HR department if they were called such things. Men need to be men and crack on with life. Too many people easily offended these days, can't say nothing.

Do you buy your clothes in Mothercare?

5 hours ago, SARJ said:

As a midget Jew with a Bristolian accent, you can imagine the verbal abuse I get off my mates, colleagues and people I play sport against. But guess what? It's banter which I take on the chin and dish back. 

Other people I know would go crying cap in hand to the HR department if they were called such things. Men need to be men and crack on with life. Too many people easily offended these days, can't say nothing.

There are,  rightly so, lines in law and general acceptability. They exist to protect people from various backgrounds etc, as well as those who might be particularly vulnerable. 

LJ -  some comments are unfair, but in the main he should have a thick enough skin. 

Suggesting "men should be men"  cannot apply to everyone as it becomes an abusers charter. 

To think my disabled son can have his self confidence dessimated or his self-worth eroded in the name of a few neanderthals "having a laugh" has to sit outside your definition. 

I hope it does.

I thought this was about banners.  So far I have found most of them amusing and fully within the law of ethics (except personal insult) .  The SOD banner was very dark humour and I did chuckle.  If people feel their voice isn't being heard in these trying times a banner may be what they think is their only option.  No problem with that, they are the paying supporter trying to express their feelings

12 hours ago, paulcityfan said:

I thought this was about banners.  So far I have found most of them amusing and fully within the law of ethics (except personal insult) .  The SOD banner was very dark humour and I did chuckle.  If people feel their voice isn't being heard in these trying times a banner may be what they think is their only option.  No problem with that, they are the paying supporter trying to express their feelings

Agreed. Some football clubs would have dozens, if not hundreds, of banners in our predicament. And it would be organised. 

On 07/02/2017 at 00:23, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

After several years of reading your posts, in total bemusement, I can only conclude that you wouldn't recognise a joke, if it half volleyed you up the rusty sheriff badge.

Thanks.

I think all of your posts read like poetry.

I will immediately forward your post No.4000 for the nobel commission for their serious consideration.

Have a pleasant afternoon.

tfj

11 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

People should check with the crowd  if a banner is ' hilarious ' before draping it out in the open for all the world to see .

:disapointed2se:

I was more embarrassed for the belter who decided that it was a valid statement.  I've seen some knuckle dragging morons at AG through the years, but the curtain banner tops the lot. What a *****.

23 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

People should check with the crowd  if a banner is ' hilarious ' before draping it out in the open for all the world to see .

:disapointed2se:

Ah, but then we would all need to have the same sense of humour?

Humour is subjective, as we have learnt from this thread.

"Every day is a school day"!!

:yes:

tfj

On 07/02/2017 at 13:06, CotswoldRed said:

Agreed. Some football clubs would have dozens, if not hundreds, of banners in our predicament. And it would be organised. 

Perhaps Bristolians don't have the confidonce to spel banerrs corecctly?

fjt

On 2/6/2017 at 23:11, CotswoldRed said:

There are,  rightly so, lines in law and general acceptability. They exist to protect people from various backgrounds etc, as well as those who might be particularly vulnerable. 

LJ -  some comments are unfair, but in the main he should have a thick enough skin. 

Suggesting "men should be men"  cannot apply to everyone as it becomes an abusers charter. 

To think my disabled son can have his self confidence dessimated or his self-worth eroded in the name of a few neanderthals "having a laugh" has to sit outside your definition. 

I hope it does.

It does. Obviously there are some exceptions to 'men will be men' and rightly so i.e. people who mock the disabled.

I'm reffering to your run of the mill every day blokes. If I can take racist abuse on the chin without crying and complaining to HR (like everyone should in my opinion) Johnson should be able to man up and take being called a 'midget' by some. I do agree, no need to bring personal insults into it, but come on, he shouldn't be crying himself to sleep over it like some people on this forum.

7 hours ago, SARJ said:

It does. Obviously there are some exceptions to 'men will be men' and rightly so i.e. people who mock the disabled.

I'm reffering to your run of the mill every day blokes. If I can take racist abuse on the chin without crying and complaining to HR (like everyone should in my opinion) Johnson should be able to man up and take being called a 'midget' by some. I do agree, no need to bring personal insults into it, but come on, he shouldn't be crying himself to sleep over it like some people on this forum.

I can see your point.

However - whatever anyone's opinion - racist abuse is a criminal offence. Not everyone should have to take it on the chin, even though much of it is considered light hearted.  

I can handle anyone calling me an English whatever. But if I I'm not happy about it then the law is there to protect. It's pretty clear. 

Someone calling Johnson a midget isn't criminal so he'll just have to put up with it as part of the job, sadly. 

On 2/4/2017 at 18:51, GrahamC said:

Humour is subjective (some people like Mrs. Brown's Boys FFS) and it didn't make any personal comment about LJ.

Funnier than Ha, Ha Rovers, anyway 

I have tried to watch it on several occasions, but have never lasted more than a few minutes (Please, no sarcastic comments).

I don't recall such similar drivel for many a year. 

15 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have tried to watch it on several occasions, but have never lasted more than a few minutes (Please, no sarcastic comments).

I don't recall such similar drivel for many a year. 

It's become quite fashionable to dislike it. 

10 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Presumably not that fashionable as I believe it won an award recently.

I am sure I am in the minority, but I just cannot see any humour in it.

Nope you`re not in a minority if the people I know are anything to go by. I don`t think I`ve ever seen a more cringeworthy load of drivel on what is supposed to be prime time TV. Talk about lowest common denominator television.

On 06/02/2017 at 10:18, robin_unreliant said:

So - not sure if it is just me but I am not clear what point this banner was making.

1) think yourselves lucky guys, we could still have SOD here so LJ isn't so bad

2) Come back SOD even you were better than this clown

To me it could mean either. So if you're gonna hang up a banner to make a point, please could you make it bit clearer what the **** you're on about next time Gestapo?

Number 2, I thought its pretty obvious really. 

Archived