IGNORED

Hordur

Charlie BCFC

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Hordur is a top , top player but he lacks the ' devilment' to ' boss ' the opposition.

He is all about positioning, game reading and distribution. Bailey Wright is a hard as nails , niggly defender who gets in the forward's  faces. 

We need a bit of that at the moment as we have been too nice as a team . It's ok to be a pleasing on the eye but not acceptable to be bullied out of a match .

Like many of our young players he needs the experience of physical competition to learn the ' dark arts ' 

Agree with this, apart from Hordur being a "top, top defender", "average Championship defender" closer to the mark.

10 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Agree with this, apart from Hordur being a "top, top defender", "average Championship defender" closer to the mark.

First ever time in England, young, wasn't planned to play anywhere near as much, I think he's doing well to be fair.

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

How Metrosexual of you, how long have you been getting these feelings? :) 

Since @Rudolf Hucker had him!

All @Matty Taylor [BCFC] Is doing is repeating LJ.

If we look back, Ekstrand had been training with us for a while, and you wonder that if it wasn't going to happen, LJ would've gone into the loan market.

We had Flint, Hordur, Ekstrand / Loan and Moore.  You would've expected the loan to be a player to start his fair share, had Joel not signed.  I know it's speculation, but the 4 we ended up with or what we could've ended up with was a good quartet.  Unfortunately Ekstrand never worked out.

I think Hordur has made a very tidy start to his City career.  Would like to see him at LB.  I don't want us to go to a back 3 just to accommodate him, because we don't have the wing backs.  Cotterill is not a RWB, and Joe has proved to be too inconsistent.  He's finally played a couple on the trot at LM, let him stat there, he's starting to gradually improve.

Sorry for hijacking the Hordur love in (literally), but I've seen a lot of posts here and elsewhere already declaring our future central defensive pairing should be Hordur and Bailey Wright. Can someone fill me in on what exactly it is Bailey Wright has already done to convince everyone? Not saying he isn't any good and I'm certainly not writing him off, but have I missed something in his few games that have made your minds up so quickly? Or is it simply anyone but Flint?

46 minutes ago, Olé said:

Sorry for hijacking the Hordur love in (literally), but I've seen a lot of posts here and elsewhere already declaring our future central defensive pairing should be Hordur and Bailey Wright. Can someone fill me in on what exactly it is Bailey Wright has already done to convince everyone? Not saying he isn't any good and I'm certainly not writing him off, but have I missed something in his few games that have made your minds up so quickly? Or is it simply anyone but Flint?

He likes defending.

Seriously, actually I was!  But additionally, he positions himself well for headers for balls coming across the box.  Watch Saturday's game.  Very effective.

He is physucal with his striker, using his body.  Too often I've seen our CBs, just put a hand on their marker, Bailey is getting some serious skin on his opponent, who certainly knows he's there.  Must've practised man-marking with sheep back home (Mrs Fevs is an Aussie - I think I can get away with it! :P).

He ain't afraid to take ball and a bit of the man. The tackle on Saturday on the half way Line was great, especially for a ex-centre half like me.

On the flip side, he is t very quick.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He likes defending.

Seriously, actually I was!  But additionally, he positions himself well for headers for balls coming across the box.  Watch Saturday's game.  Very effective.

He is physucal with his striker, using his body.  Too often I've seen our CBs, just put a hand on their marker, Bailey is getting some serious skin on his opponent, who certainly knows he's there.  Must've practised man-marking with sheep back home (Mrs Fevs is an Aussie - I think I can get away with it! :P).

He ain't afraid to take ball and a bit of the man. The tackle on Saturday on the half way Line was great, especially for a ex-centre half like me.

On the flip side, he is t very quick.

Yep all this. Bailey is tough as nails and gets into players not allowing them free movement. He doesn't let someone receive them all cleanly to turn or lay it off to someone. He gets into them and pushes or kicks them a bit. He's not nice. On top of that I think he's a young vocal leader that we've been missing. One to lead by example and organises things at the back. He's a decent athlete and decent on the ball as well. He's a mix of Flint and Hordor a bit. Got good traits that we wish both the other possessed. He's the full package at centre half. If he was 6'1 I don't think he'd be here. 

6 hours ago, Olé said:

Personally as I've said on here before I wouldn't be dropping Flint, and I think Wright and Magnusson as a pairing would get bullied by a big striker (though having said that, Wright played alongside Tom Clarke at PNE and he's hardly a giant) but Wright is proven at this level and is at an age where he can improve.

It's a fantastic signing, he is proven at this level and I was absolutely ecstatic at the time. £500k is an absolute steal mate, take it from someone who's watched a lot of him at Preston.

So the question should perhaps be why did we sign someone who is apparently not up to the physical side of the English game? He is no Flint of course but no weed either. At 23 you don't need a rest as he's a grown man. I rate him but if he is seen as back up you don't need to spend £2m for that.

21 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

So the question should perhaps be why did we sign someone who is apparently not up to the physical side of the English game? He is no Flint of course but no weed either. At 23 you don't need a rest as he's a grown man. I rate him but if he is seen as back up you don't need to spend £2m for that.

Mate with respect...why do you think he's not up to the physicality's of the English game? Why have you said that? No one thinks that... Because he doesn't look like Flint and doesn't just hoofs it when under pressure, and because he can actually pass a football?

Because he doesn't look like an a CB from 1970?

He plays International football for Iceland, against the best players in the world...but apparently according to you, he isn't up for playing against Championship standard strikers?

As for £2m for back up...how wrong can you be. You need to wake up and smell the coffee. Look at the squads in this league. To compete, there are many players valued over £2m on the bench or out of the squad. Time to get realistic fella.

The lad has been brought up playing football in Italy. Some of the best defenders in the world come from Italy. None of em look like some 1970's clog wearing desperate dan traditional English CB. They use their brain as well as their body. Plus if you've ever watched Serie B or A...it's not a bunch of fairies in the box. It's physical...pulling, spitting, gouging, stamping, elbows, etc,etc.

Times have moved on...Good CB's are footballers not just thugs these days.

Even GK's have to be able to play football.

If you want City to do well...then you're going to have to get used to this type of footballer.

If you don't like it...then perhaps the Conference is more suited to your tastes ;-)

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Mate with respect...why do you think he's not up to the physicality's of the English game? Why have you said that? No one thinks that... Because he doesn't look like Flint and doesn't just hoofs it when under pressure, and because he can actually pass a football?

Because he doesn't look like an a CB from 1970?

He plays International football for Iceland, against the best players in the world...but apparently according to you, he isn't up for playing against Championship standard strikers?

As for £2m for back up...how wrong can you be. You need to wake up and smell the coffee. Look at the squads in this league. To compete, there are many players valued over £2m on the bench or out of the squad. Time to get realistic fella.

The lad has been brought up playing football in Italy. Some of the best defenders in the world come from Italy. None of em look like some 1970's clog wearing desperate dan traditional English CB. They use their brain as well as their body. Plus if you've ever watched Serie B or A...it's not a bunch of fairies in the box. It's physical...pulling, spitting, gouging, stamping, elbows, etc,etc.

Times have moved on...Good CB's are footballers not just thugs these days.

Even GK's have to be able to play football.

If you want City to do well...then you're going to have to get used to this type of footballer.

If you don't like it...then perhaps the Conference is more suited to your tastes ;-)

Hold up ! Take a deep breath, read through this f ucking thread and hopefully you will see where i'm coming from. I

Some people are saying he's not up to it and is prone to being bullied - not me. I really rate the lad and was impressed from the off.

I am well aware of Serie A

My question is why Bristol City has paid £2m for back up.I don't give a f uck what other squads have on their benches. We need to be prudent with our spend because if not why has Mr Lansdown stated his strategy is to develop young talent either home grown or acquired on the cheap?

Suggest you smell the coffee - open chequebook, relatively expensive players on the bench or not even in the squad and we are sliding down the league.

Incidentally, there are plenty of excellent footballers in the conference and if you were as itk as  you claim you'd know that.

6 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Hold up ! Take a deep breath, read through this f ucking thread and hopefully you will see where i'm coming from. I

Some people are saying he's not up to it and is prone to being bullied - not me. I really rate the lad and was impressed from the off.

I am well aware of Serie A

My question is why Bristol City has paid £2m for back up.I don't give a f uck what other squads have on their benches. We need to be prudent with our spend because if not why has Mr Lansdown stated his strategy is to develop young talent either home grown or acquired on the cheap?

Suggest you smell the coffee - open chequebook, relatively expensive players on the bench or not even in the squad and we are sliding down the league.

Incidentally, there are plenty of excellent footballers in the conference and if you were as itk as  you claim you'd know that.

Erm...£2m is cheap in this league. Hence why we have been buying from abroad, as you get better value for your £. That's why I said, 'wake up and smell the coffee'.

As for the conference...yes I watch it most weeks. Haven't seen a CB yet that could walk into a Championship first 11.

When you post...'So the question should perhaps be why did we sign someone who is apparently not up to the physical side of the English game?' Perhaps you should have taken a deep breath and thought before posting, as you are questioning the Icelandic national side, Juventus and Cesena...and now Bristol City....I'm sure all those know far better, than a few people on a football forum. Just saying... ;-)

Plus your thinking of 'What is cheap'....is way out of kilter. The prices we paid for Moore, Hordur, Engval, Odowda, Brownhill...is considered 'cheap' in this division.

You need to reset your thinking fella. ;-)

9 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

It's not £2m for a backup. It's £2m for future potential.

Backup this season. First team next season (or the one after). Top rated and massively coveted player after that.

If we don't stuff it up then our £2m defender is worth £5-10m or more in a few years. That's why it's prudent.

What's not prudent is signing an experienced English player on an apparently cheap or free transfer but paying him £X millions over the duration of his contract that the club will never see again.

SL made his money through managing other people's. He understands how to invest. He's now trying to apply that to football.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Erm...£2m is cheap in this league. Hence why we have been buying from abroad, as you get better value for your £. That's why I said, 'wake up and smell the coffee'.

As for the conference...yes I watch it most weeks. Haven't seen a CB yet that could walk into a Championship first 11.

When you post...'So the question should perhaps be why did we sign someone who is apparently not up to the physical side of the English game?' Perhaps you should have taken a deep breath and thought before posting, as you are questioning the Icelandic national side, Juventus and Cesena...and now Bristol City....I'm sure all those know far better, than a few people on a football forum. Just saying... ;-)

Plus your thinking of 'What is cheap'....is way out of kilter. The prices we paid for Moore, Hordur, Engval, Odowda, Brownhill...is considered 'cheap' in this division.

You need to reset your thinking fella. ;-)

You don't understand what I'm saying so I wont waste any more time on you.

1 hour ago, BCFC_Dan said:

It's not £2m for a backup. It's £2m for future potential.

Backup this season. First team next season (or the one after). Top rated and massively coveted player after that.

If we don't stuff it up then our £2m defender is worth £5-10m or more in a few years. That's why it's prudent.

What's not prudent is signing an experienced English player on an apparently cheap or free transfer but paying him £X millions over the duration of his contract that the club will never see again.

SL made his money through managing other people's. He understands how to invest. He's now trying to apply that to football.

I must have written my post wrong as people arent getting my point.

My post was in response to people saying he's not up to it and consequently 3rd or 4th choice. I think that he should be playing personally and we are not an attractive proposition for an international player if he's on the bench.

Equally we are not an established club in this division and whilst some say £2m is peanuts I believe we should spend that on the here and now.

1 minute ago, Loon plage said:

I must have written my post wrong as people arent getting my point.

My post was in response to people saying he's not up to it and consequently 3rd or 4th choice. I think that he should be playing personally and we are not an attractive proposition for an international player if he's on the bench.

Equally we are not an established club in this division and whilst some say £2m is peanuts I believe we should spend that on the here and now.

I'm still having a little difficulty following your argument.

Are you saying he is good enough to play every week in the Championship? If he is then he's worth £2m of anyone's money.

Or are you saying he must be good enough because he's an international (even though he doesn't really play in international matches)?

Or are you saying he must be good enough because he cost £2m?

Or are you saying he's not good enough to play every week and we should have spent £2m on someone who could?

6 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

You don't understand what I'm saying so I wont waste any more time on you.

I do understand what your saying...I've read your posts on here, and there is a common theme. You don't fully understand the concept of the club, and how it's being run...which is what clouds your expectations and perceived ideas of how things are going.

Maybe we have crossed wires regarding hordur... but when you say Quote..' Equally we are not an established club in this division and whilst some say £2m is peanuts I believe we should spend that on the here and now.' .... it just goes to prove your lack of understanding to how this club is now operating.

And because of that, your expectations and understanding are not correct, and that shows very often in your posts .

What you think they should do...is very different to what they are doing. So to judge them on your philosophy, will always look negative in your eyes, because you've not seen or refuse to see, or don't agree with the clubs philosophy.

Archived