IGNORED

I can't handle another season in league one / Would you renew your season ticket? (Merged)

formerly known as ivan

People saying we as fans are in it for life I totally agree with. I am with you 100%.

But the present situation, causing many to take a negative view, may well be because of the false dawns promised relentlessly by SL and BS.  

Why can't they be honest and say we are overhyping City, or say sorry we are simply as an owner, Board and BS not up to the job of delivering. OK they will never say either thing because we humble folk don't count in their eyes. We are just sheep to be herded this way and that by the mighty shepherd and his yes dogs.

Seen them in every division, so would get to see as much as I normally can.

Would be really grumpy over the summer, as this relegation would feel so unneccesary, but its a bit like asking would I still love my kids if they did something silly.

I am not angry, I am disappointed.

7 hours ago, Red Exile said:

They're interesting questions Ralph. In the main it's not mattered to me down the years which league we are in...and we've mostly been in Div 3 (or equivalent) in most of the years I've had the free time and money to get to games. But after the best part of 40 years spending wages watching City, sometimes the majority of matches, sometimes very few, I find I really do enjoy watching a decent game of football between talented players...and I don't much enjoy encounters like the one we had against Crawley a few years back. I honestly think I've watched all the lower league dross I can take....Mansfield, Carlisle, York, Colchester, Chesterfield...been to them all and many more besides...Grimsby, Torquay, Bury, Stockport...It was great fun once. But not now. So I'll pick and choose matches if we go down.

I don't think that makes me a glory fan, I don't think City have any divine right to play at a higher level although I happen to think that very few people who saw us walk off the pitch in out last top flight match at the Gate in 1980 would have believed that 37 years later we'd be nowhere near a return. 

I'll be very disappointed if we go down...what a wasted opportunity! City will always be my team but I suspect that for me and many others there'll be something more compelling to do on a matchday than watch us play Rochdale.

I suspect it might be an age thing, the younger fans have been through far less frustration and disappointment, were I have seen all 4 divisions in my time, after a few seasons in the championship it is very hard to go back to lower league football, less atmosphere smaller crowds etc there is only so much disappointment a lot of people can take  

10 hours ago, pillred said:

I suspect it might be an age thing, the younger fans have been through far less frustration and disappointment, were I have seen all 4 divisions in my time, after a few seasons in the championship it is very hard to go back to lower league football, less atmosphere smaller crowds etc there is only so much disappointment a lot of people can take  

I think you have it there mate. I`ve seen us playing in the lower leagues more often (just but if you take out the four `glory` years the difference is more marked) than not (Div 1 - 4, Div 2 - 15, Div 3 - 19, Div 4 - 2) so I think those of us of a certain age are more used to disappointment.

19 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Entitlement, we have a divine right for more and I'll never go again, is pretty much the majority of the thread.

If you go and support the team does it matter what league we are actually in as long as the team are still playing competitive football?

Or is it more a case of people wanting to be dazzled by star names, rather than going for the craic? 

Genuine question

Yes it does. After 67 years of third division and bottom end of the second division, we have a new stadium, spent shedloads, for us, of money and we're still crap because we have a pilot who doesn't know how to fly the bloody thing. So crash landing in League One is imminent.

Sick to death of our constant failures.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 19:29, Jack Dawe said:

Someone please print this lower league, loser-mindset, tinpot rubbish out and pin it up in the AG boardroom as a reminder of what we are about - no matter how deluded or unlikely - and why only one club in Bristol has ever come anywhere near to doing anything remotely creditable and notable in English football, even if for just nine fleeting seasons, and ending in ignominy and humiliation last time. Football is about the glory for me, or at least chasing it, and there aint no glory in League ****ing One. Better to live nine seasons like a tiger (then crash and burn) than 130 odd like Bristol Rovers.

You really think there is no glory in any football below the championship? You're missing out then. If Sutton beat Arsenal next week, won't that be glorious? Wasn't City's climb back from Division 4 (not to me obviously) , I'd even suggest your runaway season under Cotterill will live longer in the memory than most mid table championship finishes you have had.

On 14/02/2017 at 22:11, formerly known as ivan said:

If season ticket renewals were starting tomorrow, how many people would/wouldn't renew?

If not, what's your exact reason?

Not been able to afford a season ticket for few years now but pick about a dozen games a season, mainly away to attend and would far happier watching div 1 than premier any time. 

On 15/02/2017 at 19:04, Miah Dennehy said:

I have never really understood the 'not going' argument based on which division a team is in (and tbf to the OP, he is not saying he will stay away, just that he may not renew his ST) surely your team is your team- not matter what division or league they are in, I would imagine most people who attend football matches are there to support their club, rather than for the quality of football on offer, and even then I would argue that you can see more enjoyable games at lower levels, technical ability isn't the be all and end all.

Is that true, aizoon said u a gas head mush.

On 15 February 2017 at 19:32, Robbored said:

How anyone can not renew their season card because of relegation is beyond me.

I would renew regardless of what league City are in. City are my club - end of and will always have my support.

I don't know why I've quoted your post when many others have said the same, maybe because it was a brief  quote so don't think I am particularly questioning you. But whilst I in essence agree with you and will probably do the same, I don't like to think the club will just assume I will renew as I always have.

No we don't have any devine right as someone else mentions, but when this season has been so messed up through no fault of the fans, who have been exceptionally patient, then I think we should be woo-ed back with some decent incentives. Somehow though I think we will be paying over the odds and taken for granted. 

35 minutes ago, RedM said:

No we don't have any devine right as someone else mentions, but when this season has been so messed up through no fault of the fans, who have been exceptionally patient, then I think we should be woo-ed back with some decent incentives. Somehow though I think we will be paying over the odds and taken for granted. 

The very "incentives" you mention has been tried before.......anyone remember the food voucher fiasco?    :facepalm:

Anyway we're not relegated yet so :fingerscrossed: that we'll avoid the drop.

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The very "incentives" you mention has been tried before.......anyone remember the food voucher fiasco?    :facepalm:

Anyway we're not relegated yet so :fingerscrossed: that we'll avoid the drop.

I meant more realistic pricing. I'm still for the pile it high and sell it cheap.

It's one thing buying a ST early before we know where we are playing next year if we are toying with promotion, but quite another if we are paying Championship prices in League One.

As much as we can cross our fingers and hope and pray it doesn't happen, the club has to be realistic in it's ST pricing if it wants to at least hold on to existing ST holders never mind increase them in my opinion.

No. My father has heart issues, and once the redevelopment started we no longer had in ground parking, this was fine on the face of it as the replacement parking at Ashton Park School had a shuttle bus service, problem is after the game if you don't get out at 100mph (which dad can't) or leave early then we wait for the bus to come back on a second run...and on a couple of occasions it hasn't. Last time we phoned to have a moan we got "well the driver said he came back". 

That treatment, along with the combination of cost, travelling from Wells, not always being able to make games (we've missed about 4 each to date) and the ever repeating cycle of false dawns, we are getting Forever Bristol memberships and will pick and choose our games next year, and probably go for a couple more away games too...massive shame as we have been ST holders for almost 20 years.

• Admin

For me it is more to do with the Manager and style of football

Add to that I've never felt so distant from the club

Sadly when the renewal information comes around no doubt like many others I will renew again - but apart from meeting up with old and new friends it really is a chore at the moment

As long as I have breath in my body and can still climb up to my seat, I will renew.  This year I celebrate 50 years supporting City and I remain optimistic about the future....mind you, I have always been optimistic about the future for City and look how that has turned out :facepalm:

The main obstacles of traffic and parking will be eased if we are relegated - maybe its all part of the SL masterplan?

4 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You really think there is no glory in any football below the championship? You're missing out then. If Sutton beat Arsenal next week, won't that be glorious? Wasn't City's climb back from Division 4 (not to me obviously) , I'd even suggest your runaway season under Cotterill will live longer in the memory than most mid table championship finishes you have had.

Just saying similar to a gas mate of mine. Struggle after struggle, year after year (as Paul Weller once said) yet that season under cotts regardless of division, will live with me forever. Or until the next one!!

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I meant more realistic pricing. I'm still for the pile it high and sell it cheap.

It's one thing buying a ST early before we know where we are playing next year if we are toying with promotion, but quite another if we are paying Championship prices in League One.

As much as we can cross our fingers and hope and pray it doesn't happen, the club has to be realistic in it's ST pricing if it wants to at least hold on to existing ST holders never mind increase them in my opinion.

Should we get relegated the club are not daft enough to ask Championship prices in League 1.

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Should we get relegated the club are not daft enough to ask Championship prices in League 1.

Is that a statement, do you know something differently from what I'm guessing?

I'm thinking logically. In a playoff season the club invites us to renew early, ok last promotion it was a given pretty early compared to waiting for play off etc. So take the 'almost got into the Premiership' season, I'm sure we were invited to renew at Championship prices, take a gamble that we might get see ManU for only £25 a match or whatever it was. So logically what's to stop the club setting prices now selling tickets, take a gamble that we will stay up. 

If we are relegated on the last day, early May are they suddenly going to give us refunds? Are they going to wait until mid May to start selling tickets, very late. I think they will set prices and cross everything that we won't go down, but if we do there will be hell raised if we are paying over the odds for it. I think many people will want to wait, but if you have to renew your seat by a certain date they have you over a barrel, which they obviously know 

Depends on what they sell early for, e.g is it for cashflow or is hedging?

A number of clubs do it to get much needed money into the bank account to pay the summer wages, bills etc.

Other clubs do it to mitigate relegation or incentivise promotion to ensure they get the required amount sold.

I've no idea on the pricing strategy of City though.

I'll be renewing come what may. I love taking my kids, I love bumping into old mates, and I love that feeling you can only get when your team wins a game. Not that we've had much of that lately....

I'm frustrated as hell with what's going on at the moment and I've said many times that we have the wrong man in charge. But I still can't think of any way I'd rather spend my Saturdays than watching the City.

32 minutes ago, RedM said:

Is that a statement, do you know something differently from what I'm guessing?

I'm thinking logically. In a playoff season the club invites us to renew early, ok last promotion it was a given pretty early compared to waiting for play off etc. So take the 'almost got into the Premiership' season, I'm sure we were invited to renew at Championship prices, take a gamble that we might get see ManU for only £25 a match or whatever it was. So logically what's to stop the club setting prices now selling tickets, take a gamble that we will stay up. 

If we are relegated on the last day, early May are they suddenly going to give us refunds? Are they going to wait until mid May to start selling tickets, very late. I think they will set prices and cross everything that we won't go down, but if we do there will be hell raised if we are paying over the odds for it. I think many people will want to wait, but if you have to renew your seat by a certain date they have you over a barrel, which they obviously know 

Nothing will happen until City's destiny is guaranteed including recruiting new players. If it's League 1 that means an exodus of our better players and any recruitment will be far more difficult especially with a new manager essentially starting from scratch.

Its vital that City can achieve safety asap. 

• Admin
31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nothing will happen until City's destiny is guaranteed including recruiting new players. If it's League 1 that means an exodus of our better players and any recruitment will be far more difficult especially with a new manager essentially starting from scratch.

Its vital that City can achieve safety asap. 

Not at all the wheels are probably in motion already behind the scenes

Season tickets will be on sale before this season ends, they always have been

Archived