IGNORED

The Official Leeds United v Bristol City Match Day Thread (Merged)

ploppy

24 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Just had a flick through a few threads and if this forum ran the club we'd be without an owner, without a manager, without a keeper, without a DoF....

Tonight was the first time in a while where I've come out of a match feeling positive, we played good football, had more possession and more shots yet lost to a foul and a massive deflection.

I know I'm on my own here but Lee is turning this around and I think the club should stick with him, we play some good football, some of the best I've seen since i started watching us and bar our defence we look good throughout the team.

Onwards and upwards to Fulham now, COYR

Maybe he is, I'm really past caring now because we are currently heading to div 3.

My question for you is where do you personally draw the line? Evidence says we aren't going to win many more games, so what, if any, are the points of no return?

Just now, 054123 said:

Maybe he is, I'm really past caring now because we are currently heading to div 3.

My question for you is where do you personally draw the line? Evidence says we aren't going to win many more games, so what, if any, are the points of no return?

I think it's hard with the games coming up being against top teams, but if we are awful against fulham he has to go, a good performance though and I'd give him til villa

27 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Just had a flick through a few threads and if this forum ran the club we'd be without an owner, without a manager, without a keeper, without a DoF....

Tonight was the first time in a while where I've come out of a match feeling positive, we played good football, had more possession and more shots yet lost to a foul and a massive deflection.

I know I'm on my own here but Lee is turning this around and I think the club should stick with him, we play some good football, some of the best I've seen since i started watching us and bar our defence we look good throughout the team.

It really makes me have a feeling of hopelessness when I read posts like this after the season Johnson has put us through.lf I did my job half as incompetently as Johnson I would be fired.He has done nothing to earn the support of the fans but a constant spewing of spin and BS.The fact he is still here just demonstrates how poor SL is at judging managers. 

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why not? Thought they were good players...

I think they are good players. But not an ideal partnership as the two most attacking players against the type of defenders Leeds have. Either pace or height is needed hence why we struggled for a bit when Tammy went off. 

36 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Seriously?

I'm growing tired of hearing how this goal and that goal shouldn't have stood. Every team in the division will be able to point to poor decisions and equally I dare say we have benefitted from them on occasion.

A good team is capable of getting positive results more often than not while allowing for the odd poor decision.

39 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I know I'm on my own here but Lee is turning this around and I think the club should stick with him, we play some good football, some of the best I've seen since i started watching us and BAR OUR DEFENCE we look good throughout the team.

I think thats where your argument might fall down! Defence is quite an important part of the team........

10 minutes ago, Redandy said:

It really makes me have a feeling of hopelessness when I read posts like this after the season Johnson has put us through.lf I did my job half as incompetently as Johnson I would be fired.He has done nothing to earn the support of the fans but a constant spewing of spin and BS.The fact he is still here just demonstrates how poor SL is at judging managers. 

Why a feeling of hopelessness that someone who probably isn't Lee Johnson, Mark Ashton or Stephen Lansdown (and therefore unlikely to be critical to BCFC decision making in the near future) has offered a different opinion? It won't change want happens at BCFC any more than your or my opinion, it's just a perspective that's different to yours?

Halfway through the second half I heard two ten year olds trying to work out our latest formation. Although I had seen the change LJ had made, it was dark humour at its best to hear people still trying to get to grips with the constant changes.

We actually had a decent amount of the ball today and are far better than the shell of a team that stayed compact and went backwards in December and January. Although that in of itself is not saying a lot, there are pub teams that were better than that shambles a month ago.

Today we were better than the worst of LJ but still a team with no identity and no set attacking plan - LJ finds it too easy to adjust shape and/or strategy too frequently for the team to make anything look easy. We make football look very complicated.

We could have quite easily got something from the game but the defence switched off for both goals (actually on the second they didn't switch off,  just sat off, as usual, a feature so common now I cannot believe it is not an instruction.)

We actually started the more brightly and for a fleeting second I thought they were picking up from Derby. Cotterill had a couple of good runs and a great free kick. But there was nothing like the fluidity of Saturday, and when Leeds scored thanks to total switch off in our defence - we as usual lost all semblance of shape or plan.

The main difference with Derby is Tomlin played far too far off Tammy most of the time, and no one knew what he was going to do (he didn't himself for half the game). Then the Abraham injury really did for us, as he had been able to control the ball and bring others in. We bring on Taylor, a player too similar to Tomlin in needing to play off someone, and very quickly we disappeared from the game altogether.

Another victory for the LJ tactical manual.

The introduction of Djuric at half time was as welcome as it was surprising, although it was very hard to tell if we were playing 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 and I'm not sure the players knew either. As it happens with our first attack of the half we got in behind them and Tomlin and then Djuric went agonisingly close to getting a shot in close.

But then they go up the other end and everyone just stands off the attacker outside the box (this has been going on all season now, why do we let people just go at us, game in and game out.) The bloke has time and space to shoot, it deflects off a defender and past Giefler doing his "I wasn't expecting that" statute for the second time in 4 days.

After that we really had no chance but made a decent go of it - Joe Bryan had his best game of the season, he got beyond Ayling repeatedly and put really dangerous crosses in, as well as tacking well when getting back. They blocked or their keeper saved several times on the goalline. Djuric did everything right up front and looked really sharp, unfortunately the ref was so excited to be at Elland Road I think a defender would have needed to remove all of Milan's clothes before he did anything.

Hegeler looked solid and purposeful out of midfield, Brownhill less so, he looked as tired as I expected after Derby. But overall we just didn't have the fluency we had on Saturday, Tomlin did a few clever things but mostly he just tries to do to much and gives it away. He certainly didn't offer anything like the interplay and quick passing that was a feature of Saturday. As such Taylor, apart from making one great chance for himself, found it much harder to get in the game.

Our final change saw Hegeler - who still looks a class above, even at 2-0 down - drop into CB so O'Neil could come on. Duric deserved his goal but before then Leeds had had a decent penalty shout and Giefler became one of several players (but easily the worst) to give the ball straight back to their forwards. So as one person in the away end put it when O'Neil came on: "I think we're playing for 0-2 now".

I don't know how you sum up a game like this. We are halfway competitive so that is a positive relative to our 8 game losing streak. But we also weren't a patch on Saturday which suggests that the green shoots we saw then were more of a temporary high than a developing approach. 

If I hadn't sat through the prior far worse rubbish in December and January I think I'd be less forgiving of today as it was a game we were more than capable of getting something from and yet we surrendered in defence twice and had no real identity (or at least 3 different formations and strategies) going forward.

As it is I'm prepared to accept that you file this one under "LJ isn't quite as abysmal as he was 4 weeks ago" but I'd still replace him in a flash - it seems obvious to me that apart from the stars aligning at Derby, I have no idea what our main line of attack is, we are poorly drilled to create chances and lack understanding going forward, which is compounded by changes in selection and formation. Granted Tammy got injured but a team with a proven way of playing wouldn't have made the number of changes we made today and expected players to adjust continually. I'm beginning to think LJ makes it complicated as he'd be out of excuses if he kept it simple and hadn't produced with one pattern of play.

The failure to incorporate Tomlin effectively is also now chronic. As blessed naturally as he is, I just don't think we can use him effectively, he is a single minded luxury in a side that badly needs teamwork and understanding, which is why the fact he gets drafted in and out of the team just smacks as even more evidence LJ is so out of his depth he is failing to draw any conclusions or settle on any committed patterns of play.

By the way - full backs watch: they weren't too bad today, Golbourne did alright and made a couple of key tackles. But with defensive switch offs for both goals I'm glad our most consistent one is well rested back in Bristol. That'll help.

Giefler 6 - Jury is well and truly out - I dont think the defence trusts him, Flint absolutely balled him out for giving it away second half with a short clearance
Little 5 -  One shocker of a pass but really didn't get a chance
Golbourne 7 - Was very aware of his need to win tackles after Saturday and did so
Wright 5 - Need to see that first goal again, but looked shaky throughout
Flint 6 - Usual throwing himself at everything but lacking quality
Hegeler 7 - Seems to have an extra yard every time, so much more comfortable than everyone else we have
Brownhill 6 - Couple of bits of decent passing but faded badly compared to Saturday
Cotterill 7 - Worked his proverbials off and was the best player in the first half, nailed on Championship quality, shape second half caused him to drop back and less of a threat
Bryan 8 - Best game of the season by far - that settles it, not a full back, a player who when he has confidence can get at a full back and cross
Tomlin 6 - A few nice attempts but in no way part of a team and too often a liability
Abraham 7 - Looked sharp until he got injured

Subs:
Taylor 5 - Apart from one great run found it a lot harder to get into the game
Djuric 8 - Won everything the ref allowed him to and looked sharp and effective in the air and on the ground
O'Neil 5 - Whatever

4 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Villa were in free fall , club in pieces . I had them for a second relegation . If they survive they have done well. That is why SC performance was so impressive with us , turn around a donkey in record time (and I am first to admit he lost his marbles after promotion ) 

Good point, but tbh it didn't need repeating verbatim from 38 minutes ago!

27 minutes ago, allyolly said:

Exactly. The only period of the game we were not in it was from when Tammy went off until Djuric came on which is understandable as Tomlin and Taylor were never going to cause Leeds problems. 

Unlucky not to get a draw on the balance of chances tonight. 

Your not right in the head mate... 

24 minutes ago, allyolly said:

Exactly. The only period of the game we were not in it was from when Tammy went off until Djuric came on which is understandable as Tomlin and Taylor were never going to cause Leeds problems. 

Unlucky not to get a draw on the balance of chances tonight. 

Fair point. We did have chances but didnt convert. Any mistake we make gets punished and any mistake the oppostion make is not capitalised on.

Leeds deserved the win as they were the better team and it was an away game and we caused problems for another top six side! 

Archived