IGNORED

The Official Leeds United v Bristol City Match Day Thread (Merged)

ploppy

although the give lee more time threads are becoming less and less, there are still amazingly people who say we are playing great football and he will turn it around, I'm sorry but the most we will do is avoid relegation, I just cannot fathom some peoples cheery optimism. 

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Just had a flick through a few threads and if this forum ran the club we'd be without an owner, without a manager, without a keeper, without a DoF....

Tonight was the first time in a while where I've come out of a match feeling positive, we played good football, had more possession and more shots yet lost to a foul and a massive deflection.

I know I'm on my own here but Lee is turning this around and I think the club should stick with him, we play some good football, some of the best I've seen since i started watching us and bar our defence we look good throughout the team.

Onwards and upwards to Fulham now, COYR

You're not on your own.

Onwards and upwards.

2 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

The ref had his back to the ball, talking to a Leeds player,when it was rolled forward to Wood without the ref's say-so. The whistle was still in his mouth. Didn't have the guts to disallow it in front of 22,000. Our defence were unfairly unsighted.

Testicles

Whenever Tommy Doc tried to take a free kick quickly the ********************** ref always called play back.

Can't blame Flinty for the second, got his foot to it and it took a nasty one into the net.

2 pieces of 1. ***************************** referring and 2. bad luck.

Thank god we've got Cotterill, brilliant signing. Gives me some hope

The referee doesn't have to blow his whistle for a free kick to be taken. It's up to the defending team to be alert, that's why players stand over the ball to stop free kicks being taken quickly.

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Been watching for 11 years, and I'm not counting against league one teams in that

I promised myself that I wouldn't... but I'll bite.

You have been watching for eleven years. So you will have witnessed us romp to our first title since the Fifties and win the JPT two years ago playing scintillating, entertaining football.

But this is better?

Is the reason that you have been watching for eleven years because you are Gary Johnson?

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

@Olé what game were you watching? I saw us play far better in December and January than I did tonight.

Ok we had a few chances

And we had little or no chances in some of the games during our 8 game run. So there you go, big difference, today we actually used some width and created some chances. At times over New Year we were so compact and insistent on passing backwards and hoofing that we may as well not have turned up.

If you saw better football during that god awful run, good luck to you, it would be consistent with the nonsense you were saying at the time about everything being fine. In fact, didn't you brag on Saturday that we are now seeing the quality which you had long since recognised in the manager and players?

Given up already on the self-congratulatory tone? Or are you suddenly concerned about performances and trying to get away with one almighty role reversal? My views are relative, one match to the next, I've been consistent in my concern for months, but pulled out some positives today for some balance.

You on the other hand appear to have gone 180 from LJ cheerleader during an 8 game collapse to challenging why I'm giving credit now. If Leeds counter attacks were the scariest thing you've seen all season then don't worry about what game I've been watching, worry more about your own sense of proportion.

Regarding views of Hegeler, he does the simple things well, does not make mistakes, and is strong enough to hold and move the ball while holding off others. That kind of quality/consistency is in short supply in the team. OF COURSE @Up the City thinks he is "very poor", being wrong about everything is a habit. 

11 minutes ago, 8MenWith1Dream said:

How can you be positive? Same as Reading away, they went two up and shut up shop. 

Good teams can do that and make it work; we can't, we collapse like a shoddily built ikea wardrobe, as shown against Wednesday, Reading, Cardiff et al.

To be fair to IKEA, they can at least build the wardrobe...

27 minutes ago, Olé said:

And we had little or no chances in some of the games during our 8 game run. So there you go, big difference, today we actually used some width and created some chances. At times over New Year we were so compact and insistent on passing backwards and hoofing that we may as well not have turned up.

If you saw better football during that god awful run, good luck to you, it would be consistent with the nonsense you were saying at the time about everything being fine. In fact, didn't you brag on Saturday that we are now seeing the quality which you had long since recognised in the manager and players?

Given up already on the self-congratulatory tone? Or are you suddenly concerned about performances and trying to get away with one almighty role reversal? My views are relative, one match to the next, I've been consistent in my concern for months, but pulled out some positives today for some balance.

You on the other hand appear to have gone 180 from LJ cheerleader during an 8 game collapse to challenging why I'm giving credit now. If Leeds counter attacks were the scariest thing you've seen all season then don't worry about what game I've been watching, worry more about your own sense of proportion.

Regarding views of Hegeler, he does the simple things well, does not make mistakes, and is strong enough to hold and move the ball while holding off others. That kind of quality/consistency is in short supply in the team. OF COURSE @Up the City thinks he is "very poor", being wrong about everything is a habit. 

I honestly do not understand why you contribute to a forum when all you do is try to run a poster into thr ground if they don't hold the same thoughts as you? Describing people's views and posts as nonsense, ridiculous etc shows you up for who you are. No matter what difference of opinions you have there isn't really a need to dismiss their views is there? Despite you trying to lay into me on every occasion I shall remain respectful to you and of your posts (which I generally do enjoy) it's a shame you can't give others the same courtesy. 

I started to doubt myself about how I viewed the games we played during that run(See that's how clever you are) bit just went back through the fixture list and I stand by my words. If I wasn't on my phone I would list each game individually but as I'm not on the laptop right now I'll give a quick summary of my thoughts, In many of those games we had massive chances that were not converted, some misses were so terrible you could only laugh or cry. We also had some huge decisions go against us which were also laughable (like Leeds opening goal tonight) 

The problem I see is we are far too inconsistent, at times we can play some really nice stuff, but it's only short lived and we revert back to a pedestrian safe game. I'd like to know your thoughts on why we only see these spells in short bursts? Fitness? Confidence?

Why we played so well on Saturday but not so good tonight baffles me. I can only speculate that tiredness and confidence must have played a part?

The question about Width is an interesting one, as I said on another post Joe Bryan can do some amazing things and then he follows that up with something that wouldn't be out of place on the downs. His crossing and passing let us down badly this evening.

You will also find I'm very consistent with how I see a game, I always try to take the positives out of a game. Today I'm struggling to find many positives, there wasn't that many times of excitement (very few in fact) there wasn't really a period either where we got on top. In most of those defeats I could say Tammy should have buried that, should have had a penalty, played well in second half etc etc. Tonight tho I'm struggling to think of anything more than half chances.

Your first paragraph of this quoted post is how I would describe today's game apart from the width.

JH today was poor, unusually poor may I add but I'm not going to let previous performances cover up a poor performance tonight as you appear to be doing. He does not make mistakes? He certainly made some tonight that's for sure. Him making a dodgy long pass that almost led to a Leeds go wasn't a mistake then?

My very poor comment is relative to his usual high performances. He just didn't produce what we normally see from him so compared to usual he was very poor.

Of course tho you think being right about everything is a God given right of yours don't you? 

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

The referee doesn't have to blow his whistle for a free kick to be taken. It's up to the defending team to be alert, that's why players stand over the ball to stop free kicks being taken quickly.

It's something you learn in school, put your foot on the ball, stand over it, roll it away a few yards etc.

4 hours ago, ontariored said:

Taking the stats off of BBC football (copied below) , BCFC had 55% of the possession, Leeds 45%  and 9 shots on target versus Leeds 4 shots on target. 

Obviously I wasn't at the game but the stats look respectable. No, I am not related to LJ or anyone else at the club and I am not GAS; but that is telling me that Leeds shots were either better quality than ours or there is a difference in quality of goalkeeping or a bit of both. Any thoughts?

City have now won just two of their last 17 Championship matches and remain 20th, while Leeds are fifth, six points clear of seventh-placed Norwich City.

Home TeamLeedsAway TeamBristol City
Possession
Home45%
Away55%
Shots
Home15
Away19
Shots on Target
Home4
Away9
Corners
Home4
Away5
Fouls
Home12
Away9

And I'm guessing that the fifteen games that we haven't won would show similar stats.

It's bullshit.

29 minutes ago, Superjack said:

And I'm guessing that the fifteen games that we haven't won would show similar stats.

It's bullshit.

First half we had one shot on target. We obviously pushed more in the 2nd half, and when we were 2 down hence the better stats, but by all accounts Leeds were pretty comfortable most of the game, they had no need to come at us, push, waste energy, they just had to see out the game and not lose, whilst we throw the kitchen sink at them.

1 minute ago, Fiale said:

First half we had one shot on target. We obviously pushed more in the 2nd half, and when we were 2 down hence the better stats, but by all accounts Leeds were pretty comfortable most of the game, they had no need to come at us, push, waste energy, they just had to see out the game and not lose, whilst we throw the kitchen sink at them.

Exactly.

5 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

A streetwise team kicks the ball away, places a man in front of it, anything that'll keep the ****** out of the penalty area.

Bingo.  Stand over the ball, Kick it away, kill the game, take a yellow.  Stop the momentum and get organized.  We are incredibly naïve.

5 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

A streetwise team kicks the ball away, places a man in front of it, anything that'll keep the ****** out of the penalty area.

Absolutely right, it's what every team does against us yet we as a team are mentally so far off the pace, quick free-kick, shove in the defenders back while the officials are sleeping and back of the net, it's something we are certainly incapable of doing or preventing

7 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Was down at the beam back, just watched the 1st goal again on sky highlights, the refs turned around chatting to someone as wood pushes wright out the way, what a joke.

not read all the match thread, but thought we played ok, except tomlin who i normally like but was a waste of space

Then he needs to man up..would get Wright out of there pronto.waste of money.

8 hours ago, Cov 77 said:

Yes looks brilliant , Wigan and Burton  both play twice before we play again , reasonable chance could be in the bottom three by then, still nothing to fear there are loads of teams worse than us , they could never win one game in twelve !

There is a reasonable chance they won't win those games and a reasonable chance we will as well

Archived