IGNORED

Is there a future for Lee Johnson? (Merged, again and again)

longyears

I think LJ has until the end of february. If we lose our next 3 or only get 1 point out of a possible 9 i think thats it. 

But if LJ can get 4 points from the next 3 his job is safe. SL has only recently backed him and everyone looking at our fixtures in feb were not optimistic of picking up any points. So for people to immediately call for his head with countless new threads after a narrow defeat to leeds is not going to change a thing. SL will give him the chance to get results against our next 3 opponents. I think if we fail to get 4 points from those games then LJ will be out. 

One of the main reasons i believe he is still here is because of the contract extension he signed. Secondly i dont think he is yet to lose the dressing room. Im hoping he can turn it around not because im an LJ backer but because i would much rather see the club safe than continue to lose so that someone can lose their job. 

Ill back the boys come every game. But i do understand that given our run of results LJ is the luckiest manager to still have a job here. 

I hope he survives and goes on to be a great manager of Bcfc but i have my doubts. His constant choping and changing of personnel and formation is his biggest achilies heal. Football is a simple game that he seems to over complicate. A settled side and formation between now and the end of the season should see us over the line but i cant see LJ doing this. SC was labled as stubborn. LJ I suggest is eaqualy as stubborn, this will be his downfall.

• Admin
52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I'm intrigued why they still support him.  If it's because they think SL ain't gonna sack him, then I can understand why.  But if it's anything to do with results, tactics, decisions etc, the. I'm at a loss.

Agree, they see something I clearly don't

1 hour ago, Flint says No said:

How many Johnson forums does there have to be? He has  improved recently.

Seriously ??? 
Well we did get a win Vs Rotherham , it was shit and they're bottom but 3 points. True we did hold SW and we held Derby (or they ran out of time) after being 3-0 up.  We've gone from garbage to bang average , an improvement it's true. But we lost every game for weeks before so just NOT losing is improvement.

You are definitely a glass half full kinda guy eh?

26 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I'm not so sure its that they are behind Lee as such. I think its more like they are behind the team despite Lee.

We are all behind the team, that's what being a supporter means. Are we behind the manager? Now that's a different question!

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I don't agree with them, but there still does appear to be a large number of people behind Lee

Not much evidence on here, in fact even most of LJ's most entrenched supporters seem to have turned from what I can see.

What is evident is a very small number of posters posting like crazy men on numerous threads countering almost any negative comment towards LJ. The same 4 or 5 posters over and over again.

The sad thing about these few posters is they're starting to make themselves look ridiculous with the increasing desperation of their replies, though thankfully even one of the most ingrained and prolific pro LJ posters seems to have finally seen the light last night and will hopefully spare us a frenzy of outraged posts for a few days.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not much evidence on here, in fact even most of LJ's most entrenched supporters seem to have turned from what I can see.

What is evident is a very small number of posters posting like crazy men on numerous threads countering almost any negative comment towards LJ. The same 4 or 5 posters over and over again.

The sad thing about these few posters is they're starting to make themselves look ridiculous with the increasing desperation of their replies, though thankfully even one of the most ingrained and prolific pro LJ posters seems to have finally seen the light last night and will hopefully spare us a frenzy of outraged posts for a few days.

got to disagree with that line, its not about seeing the light, its about supporting the team, who ever in charge doesn't come in to it, 

53 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I'm not so sure its that they are behind Lee as such. I think its more like they are behind the team despite Lee.

You make a very good point as that's where I'd say I am right now. 

Any time I try and point towards any positives I'm labelled an 'LJ supporter / rose tinted / head in the sand' etc. etc. 

First things first, I'm not an LJ supporter.

I'm a Bristol City supporter and I will be a Bristol City supporter long after Lee Johnson, John Pemberton, Steve Lansdown, Mark Ashton or anyone else in a currently high profile 'management' role are no longer anything to do with the club. 

I've supported every manager and every player who's ever walked that pitch and tried to do what's best for Bristol City. 

Few have succeeded (let's be brutally honest, few EVER succeed where football management is concerned - almost everyone ultimately gets sacked) but I've supported anyone trying to bring success to Bristol City. 

What I do find ironic is that the anti-Johnson sentiment appears to have reached its highest level following our best run in several months! The majority of the crowd were still on side prior to the Sheffield Wednesday game and since then we've taken 5 points from 12. Based on form since the losing run stopped - if we can maintain it - we will survive on 50ish points and that's the time to reassess Johnson's position in my view.

When Steve stuck with him following the worst run in club history it was clear that he was not to be swayed in his desire to implement some managerial stability.

There's a lot to be respected there and frankly unless anyone else is prepared to stump up the cash to take over the reigns, I think he's earned the right to back himself. Give me stubborn Steve Lansdown over a mentalist like Tan or Allam any day of the week. 

In the immediate short term - the remainder of the season - strong anti managerial sentiment displayed vocally/visually at games is only going to make matters worse on the pitch. The only thing that's important between now and the season end is amassing enough points to survive. 

All else can wait. 

What I do find inexcusable is the constant personal insults from certain posters who can't make an argument without attacking people.

I wonder if the same people would refer to Johnson as a 'runt', a 'midget' or a 'dwarf' if they happened upon them on the streets of Bristol. Of course they wouldn't because there's no keyboard to hide behind.  

21 minutes ago, marmite said:

We are all behind the team, that's what being a supporter means. Are we behind the manager? Now that's a different question!

I totally agree with you. Its hard to articulate on here but what I meant by the post below is, I think we as in the fans have kept our negative feelings towards LJ largely under wraps. This isn't because we give a sh!te about his feelings but we don't want negative waves (Donald Sutherland, Kelly's Heroes) to affect the team.

49 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

The sad thing about the few others is they're starting to make themselves look ridiculous with the increasing desperation of their replies, though thankfully even one of the most ingrained and prolific pro LJ posters seems to have finally seen the light last night and will hopefully spare us a frenzy of outraged posts for a few days.

Exactly this, they range from 'I have a feeling', 'of course I never expected anything other than defeat against them', 'our form over the last 3 games has been good' and getting more and more desperate, when the evidence is the manager last night made 1 personnel change but then bizarrely changed back to a failing system, let's be honest we struggled to beat Rotherham our only win in 18 league games and that is evidence of how piss poor we actually are, he has got to go.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

got to disagree with that line, its not about seeing the light, its about supporting the team, who ever in charge doesn't come in to it, 

Not sure I understand that Monk, I'm saying they've finally seen the light about LJ, nothing to do with the team or club.

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Spot on

Nail on head

Every Word

IMO

:clap:

As regards the suggestion that SL is keeping LJ because he thinks the supporters are still behind him

All those backing & frantically defending LJ come hell or high water and clapping themselves on the back for being the very best loyal supporters might take a moment, if LJ takes us down ,  to consider , whether their 'hell or high water' support despite the  ever growing evidence of LJs ability (Or lack of) to sort this out , has actually played a part in our demise

I'm not talking about supporting the team for 90 mins , but to continue to desperately try and find things to defend him on I find quite bizarre

3 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Sorry but it's clear this is the case. SL clearly believes the fans are behind him. 

It's not clear this is the case at all.  SL has given LJ longer than most of us would but that does not necessarily mean he will continue to back him indefinitely.  Indeed his recent statement stopped short of unequivocal support for the manager.

Rather than trying to be categorical about something you can't be, why not be honest and acknowledge we can't be certain what Lansdown's intentions are?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I'm intrigued why they still support him.  If it's because they think SL ain't gonna sack him, then I can understand why.  But if it's anything to do with results, tactics, decisions etc, the. I'm at a loss.

I wouldn't say I support LJ but I support BCFC. LJ is our manager and until his is sacked or quits I will continue to do what I think I can to help the team on the pitch and IMO that's show support to the players and staff.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It's not clear this is the case at all.  SL has given LJ longer than most of us would but that does not necessarily mean he will continue to back him indefinitely.  Indeed his recent statement stopped short of unequivocal support for the manager.

Rather than trying to be categorical about something you can't be, why not be honest and acknowledge we can't be certain what Lansdown's intentions are?

he's prob sounding out new managers as we speak

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

he's prob sounding out new managers as we speak

That could well be the case - indeed for all we know, the likes of Rowett could already have been contacted and turned us down - which may explain why LJ has lasted longer than he perhaps should have done.  But the point is, it's all speculation and we don't really know.

I think the reality is that LJ is backed by enough fans and those who count, MA and SL. My own view is that I cannot understand why... There is nothing about LJ that justifies this leap of faith... if he had come to us as a title winning and trophy winning manager then I would have said back him all the way... Fact is he is not... Barnsley seem to have done better without him and progressed despite selling their best players. He was not all that liked there mind and fans had called for his head during another losing run.... 

Reality is that MA and SL have staked their reputations on LJ and I can see this ending painfully. At the moment we have our head above the waves. We are not in the relegation zone. I think, this would change the mentality of those higher up as it is clear to see, we cannot afford to fall into League One. It would be a travesty given the resources available and i am shaking my head just thinking about it.  However, the board have gambled on LJ being able to get some results quickly. In my view he has not done this and the win over Rotherham cannot gloss over some truly dire form. 45 minutes at Derby had me dreaming that LJ had brought a reversal in fortunes - but 135 minutes later it is plain to see that it is same old LJ. HIs tinkering is starting to wind me up and he is actually inept as a coach. We played 3 formations last night yet did not seek to change it when we were 3-0 up at Derby. WTF is going on in his mind.... he could do with a few seasons on Football Manager. His analysis of the games just defies belief... you make your own luck in football and he is just full of excuses..

Let's face it, do we have any faith that even if LJ is sacked that we would get a good replacement. SL's appointments have largely been unsuccessful. In fact,  we dispensed ruthlessly with a double winning manager (who was not backed) in 6 months of this success. Are we better now,.... no. Are we worse - probably, because we have better players than SC did.

I have been to all of these games on this woeful run and I have to say for the first time my motivation to go is falling.... I am not sure I can take anymore and having passed up a date last night I am in a state of despair as to what followed at Leeds. That does not mean I am a glory hunter and expect us to win every match. BUT under SC I could see what he was trying to do...Under LJ i cannot....

It's just so sad. I want him gone. 

I wish LJ could get it right, but he doesn't seem able to. Despite that, I still think we will survive (JUST), and he will keep his job. I'd rather roll the dice and play a bit safer with a new man until the end of the season, but then come August, we are back at square one again, and who is to say the new man will be any better. Can we survive and go forward over the summer, I'd not like to be SL right now. 

I support the Catholic Church, but I'm not too keen on the Priests, if you catch my drift. 

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

That could well be the case - indeed for all we know, the likes of Rowett could already have been contacted and turned us down - which may explain why LJ has lasted longer than he perhaps should have done.  But the point is, it's all speculation and we don't really know.

From a distanced source ( to me) it's been suggested to me that this might have happened to some degree

Archived