IGNORED

Is there a future for Lee Johnson? (Merged, again and again)

longyears

11 minutes ago, Engvall's Splinter said:

A game plan is for just a half? Maybe that's where we're going wrong then? I was under the impression a game was 90+ minutes. A perfect, well executed game plan would've been a 3 nil victory or 3 points. 

The point is, no one said we executed our game plan perfectly for the full game. In fact he specifically stated the contrary - that we only did it for 45 minutes and that was the problem.

You've deliberately partially quoted someone to fit your agenda. There's plenty of actual stuff to whinge about if you don't like Lee Johnson - you don't have to make stuff up :nono:

22 minutes ago, Engvall's Splinter said:

A game plan is for just a half? Maybe that's where we're going wrong then? I was under the impression a game was 90+ minutes. A perfect, well executed game plan would've been a 3 nil victory or 3 points. 

Of course, but the game plan changes. And as I've said elsewhere, the second half game plan was spot on, and would have been perfect, had we not missed a complete sitter from 1 yard. 

People like this make me laugh, sort of person that had he brought 2 defensive midfielders on and gone one up front would have moaned and said why change the formation. If you don't like LJ and you think SL is inept. Don't bother coming anymore, we will stay up and we will progress. Embarrassing thread, even more embarrassing that you felt you had nothing better to do than post this. Hilarious

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The point is, no one said we executed our game plan perfectly for the full game. In fact he specifically stated the contrary - that we only did it for 45 minutes and that was the problem.

You've deliberately partially quoted someone to fit your agenda. There's plenty of actual stuff to whinge about if you don't like Lee Johnson - you don't have to make stuff up :nono:

The use of the shout 'agenda' cracks me up on here. You've been reading Johnson's dictionary  it would seem. 

Should we refer to it as half a plan then? Rather than a game plan. Or a full game plan of a half? Or discuss the reason our game plan wasn't amended in the second period to counter the Derby managers?

Ive no "agenda" as you mention. I was astounded yet overjoyed on Saturday at half time. Maybe that doesn't suit yours..? That many (not all fans) still want us to do well yet don't have any expectations owing to the shower that's been dressed up for months. 

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So you are disputing the account of @Olé and many others that said we played exceptionally well in the first half?

I was there and first half we were absolutely brilliant... we tore them apart and scored the third goal after Derby had changed their tactics and players. Our movement and passing were sublime and better than at any point in the season. We had total dominance and the front two were menacing. Taylor was different class and they could not contain us. Just shows how badly we have been set up in the first part of the season by LJ.  I thought we looked a top 6 side, not one flirting with relegation. 

Second half we bottled it and allowed them on to us. We gave the ball away and are game management was atrocious. All the goals we conceded were poor and the first two came from giving the ball away. Bryan's lack of cover for the second goal was shambolic.  Having said that when we got the ball down and played with composure we created 2 guilt edged chances at 3-1 that would have but the game to bed. Taylor misses a sitter and Bryan puts it inches wide when clean through.

It was a good point in the grand scheme of things and I am optimistic that with a settled first 11 we can build on it. More of the same at Leeds - it has convinced me to go (provided it is pay on the day)!. COYR   

53 minutes ago, Engvall's Splinter said:

The use of the shout 'agenda' cracks me up on here. You've been reading Johnson's dictionary  it would seem. 

Should we refer to it as half a plan then? Rather than a game plan. Or a full game plan of a half? Or discuss the reason our game plan wasn't amended in the second period to counter the Derby managers?

Ive no "agenda" as you mention. I was astounded yet overjoyed on Saturday at half time. Maybe that doesn't suit yours..? That many (not all fans) still want us to do well yet don't have any expectations owing to the shower that's been dressed up for months. 

I'd say deliberately misquoting someone in order to make their comment mean something else entirely constitutes 'having an agenda'. 

1 hour ago, MarkRed! said:

I was there and first half we were absolutely brilliant... we tore them apart and scored the third goal after Derby had changed their tactics and players. Our movement and passing were sublime and better than at any point in the season. We had total dominance and the front two were menacing. Taylor was different class and they could not contain us. Just shows how badly we have been set up in the first part of the season by LJ.  I thought we looked a top 6 side, not one flirting with relegation. 

Second half we bottled it and allowed them on to us. We gave the ball away and are game management was atrocious. All the goals we conceded were poor and the first two came from giving the ball away. Bryan's lack of cover for the second goal was shambolic.  Having said that when we got the ball down and played with composure we created 2 guilt edged chances at 3-1 that would have but the game to bed. Taylor misses a sitter and Bryan puts it inches wide when clean through.

It was a good point in the grand scheme of things and I am optimistic that with a settled first 11 we can build on it. More of the same at Leeds - it has convinced me to go (provided it is pay on the day)!. COYR   

Glad to hear this.  I wasn't at the game but I certainly didn't get the impression from everything I've read that it was mainly due to "McClaren's mismanagement".

I remain to be convinced that LJ is the right man to take us forward.  But it is utterly ridiculous to blame him entirely for the second half without giving any credit at all for the first!

I also wonder whether, had a new manager be in charge for this game, whether people might be saying something along the lines of "this shows what we're capable of".  I would love to see him turn it around.

2 hours ago, Engvall's Splinter said:

1 hour ago, Engvall's Splinter said:

There was a game plan for the full 90 minutes that they executed successfully for the first 45.  That's clearly what Johnson was saying.  Why is that so hard to understand?

You have attempted to discredit Johnson by not giving the context of his statements - and it's backfired on you.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

There was a game plan for the full 90 minutes that they executed successfully for the first 45.  That's clearly what Johnson was saying.  Why is that so hard to understand?

You have attempted to discredit Johnson by not giving the context of his statements - and it's backfired on you.

Backfired? You're too sensitive Chips. 

I'm unsure how it's backfired and how that relates to my comment. Johnson had stated we were fantastic in the first half. The game plan was executed to perfection. 
I'm assuming the projector ran out of power during his presentation. A game plan surely refers to the whole game. I may be misinterpreting though. 

Appreciate you ant compensate for a couple of missed chances. Yet it's the comment of a game plan being executed to perfection (45-60 mins only). 

Its no secret I'm not keen on Johnson. The OP refers to Johnson as a clown. Not my words. A clown is often entertaining. Something only seen in sprinkles during this season and certainly not over the last 3/4 months. 

As I've written elsewhere though, I'm happy to be proved wrong. Therefore for me this "agenda" and "backfiring" talk is humorous. Yet I'm sure it will still be levied the way of fans who show concern and remain anxious over the next couple of months, stating so over a forum. 

Just to put MRR straight and as the OP I am 73 years old not 75 and yes I now live in Yorkshire but until I was 69 I lived in Saltford and had a season ticket for 47 years - my son had one with me for 23 years.

When you have followed Bristol City for as long as me come back and post another lecture although I will be long dead by then.

You will learn sunshine that BCFC is a half empty glass team and club to follow - apart from the wonderful achievement of getting promoted from Div 3 to Div 2 every now and then only to go back to Div 3 quite quickly we have consistently failed to realise our potential - no one expects us to compare with Arsenal or Man U or Spurs but we should be in the same ball park as Hull, Burnley, Swansea and Bournemouth and we are not.

When you  get to be a long term supporter you will learn sadly !

13 minutes ago, longyears said:

Just to put MRR straight and as the OP I am 73 years old not 75 and yes I now live in Yorkshire but until I was 69 I lived in Saltford and had a season ticket for 47 years - my son had one with me for 23 years.

When you have followed Bristol City for as long as me come back and post another lecture although I will be long dead by then.

You will learn sunshine that BCFC is a half empty glass team and club to follow - apart from the wonderful achievement of getting promoted from Div 3 to Div 2 every now and then only to go back to Div 3 quite quickly we have consistently failed to realise our potential - no one expects us to compare with Arsenal or Man U or Spurs but we should be in the same ball park as Hull, Burnley, Swansea and Bournemouth and we are not.

When you  get to be a long term supporter you will learn sadly !

Too right mate apart from the Alan Dicks days Cotterell served us up the best years football ive ever witnessed being a City fan i only wish he was given the funds this bloke has had the Dwight gayle Andre Grey deals although ambitious would have been the right direction  but unfortunately cotts was moving a bit too quick for steve lansdown have been watching myself for fifty seven years like you said we are only a league one odd season flirting in the championship team yes a glass half full 

10 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

I dont like LJ, far from it. But he is the manager and he is not going anywhere for now. I agree with your views as it was gutting to lose a three goal lead.... but we have a habit of letting in soft goals and I think the side fell back into bad habits as soon as the pressure mounted. However, the performance was good for 60 minutes. It is always possible to lose even a three goal lead because of pressure and momentum the other side gets when they score - in this case City just stopped playing in the second half and got very sloppy - the first goal was well taken but we should have stopped the cross and Flint and Little should have done better with Bent. The second goal, Jo Bryan does not track his man and a free ball into the box is powered home. Again, where was Flint. I dont want to criticise but I think Flint gets far too much slack and I think his positional play is shocking for both the two goals. The penalty was soft indeed.

These things happen because we have not put out a settled side and thus we are always going to be "fragile". I also think LJ did not use his subs well and thus tactically we got the second half wrong...Brownhill was knackered, Joe Bryan was too far forward leaving Goldbourne exposed for the second goal. I would also ask - Why is Magnusson not in the squad, he should be in every time for me. Personally think Callum O'Dowda is a better player than Bryan and is defensively better. Pack should have come on for Brownhill when Derby scored the first. Thus, this is where LJ is culpable but ultimately the players have to man up and take responsibility. 

All in all, I would have taken a point from the game. It is a good point as we would have lost that game a month ago. All I am saying is that the team looked better and upfront we looked lethal... we tore a good Derby team apart and If Taylor and Bryan score their chances we win the game, thus fine margins indeed.  

I hope that we now have the framework for a settled first 11 so that we can pick up points and build confidence to rid us of this defensive fragility. Let's see what we can do at Leeds. COYR

4 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

You write a lot of sensible stuff.

I think a more settled side over the next series of games will allow players to get to know their roles without the ball or when we lose it in bad positions.  There have been too many wholesale changes, some mid-game!

i was also interested to read that we lost the ball for their first two goals.  I couldn't understand why the highlight clips started with us looking exposed.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/johnson-happy-to-endure-selection-headache-3573272.aspx

Well, this tactic Lee, is all well and good, when and IF the team are actually performing. however the run we've had suggests that the team picks (and tactics) you have made are in fact flawed, so you either have a simple inability to pick the team in the first place, or/and you have an inability to be able to remedy the problems that the vast majority of fans are witnessing week in, week out. And that the table illustrates through the simple facts of our league position.

I realise we are living in some post modern age when facts become alternative facts (lies) and the current vogue is to flatly deny, Canute stylee, that in fact there is a problem. but i'm getting too old for this shit.

43 minutes ago, Antman said:

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/johnson-happy-to-endure-selection-headache-3573272.aspx

Well, this tactic Lee, is all well and good, when and IF the team are actually performing. however the run we've had suggests that the team picks (and tactics) you have made are in fact flawed, so you either have a simple inability to pick the team in the first place, or/and you have an inability to be able to remedy the problems that the vast majority of fans are witnessing week in, week out. And that the table illustrates through the simple facts of our league position.

I realise we are living in some post modern age when facts become alternative facts (lies) and the current vogue is to flatly deny, Canute stylee, that in fact there is a problem. but i'm getting too old for this shit.

And the prize for making something out of nothing goes to ..,

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

whats the problem here?

I want him gone, but pick fault with anything and everything he does when there is no problem is just pathetic and makes you come across as having a agenda 

This is exactly what I struggle with. There's surely enough to go at LJ with - if you're that way inclined - without getting on his case about articles on the club website.

It's this sort of thing that almost makes me feel even more supportive of the head coach - by all means call for his head because we lost nine in a row, but getting hung up over every word he says, battering him because you didn't like him as a player or pinning individual defensive errors on him? That's when fan opinion credibility goes out of the window.

13 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

This is exactly what I struggle with. There's surely enough to go at LJ with - if you're that way inclined - without getting on his case about articles on the club website.

It's this sort of thing that almost makes me feel even more supportive of the head coach - by all means call for his head because we lost nine in a row, but getting hung up over every word he says, battering him because you didn't like him as a player or pinning individual defensive errors on him? That's when fan opinion credibility goes out of the window.

I think we are in a position now where lines have been drawn in the sand regarding LJ. Many posters are now so vehemently opposed to him that every and any possible reason to have a go, will be taken.

What I find so sad about this kind of thing is that it helps nobody. That is not supporting your club. SL has backed his manager and regardless of people saying LJ has 'failed', he is still here managing the team, who BTW OP are playing tonight.

The last four months have been awful, granted, but the last three games have seen the glimpses of a turn around. At least the more sensible anti-LJ posters have the decency to tone down their rhetoric after 5 points from three games.

But the constant negativity from some does nothing but drive us backwards. Thankfully everyone inside the club is working hard to drive us forward. 

It's so refreshing to see sensible, level headed responses to such a pathetic OP. 

Whether you would rather he'd gone or are happy that he's still here, now is the time that "supporters" need to support, not pick at any and every little thing (often at nothing!)

Pick a game apart after the final whistle, by all means. Being a whining little cry baby, trying to make something out of nothing, helps nobody and just makes you look ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Antman said:

What would you have changed about line up v Derby?

Archived