IGNORED

Is there a future for Lee Johnson? (Merged, again and again)

longyears

7 minutes ago, MRSATAN said:

No offence intended here mate but it seems all the Johnson loving,tree hugging,the world is powered by flower power and we will do a Gloria gaynor, luvvers are happy with a point,yes a point is good at the start of the game against a strong Derby side.

BUT

if we were say 8-0 up at half time but we let 8 in,in the second half is that still a point gained?  Because by Christ at 3-0 with 35ish minutes left on the clock you should not lose or draw,

A decent manager would of won that game from half time,FACT

I dont like LJ, far from it. But he is the manager and he is not going anywhere for now. I agree with your views as it was gutting to lose a three goal lead.... but we have a habit of letting in soft goals and I think the side fell back into bad habits as soon as the pressure mounted. However, the performance was good for 60 minutes. It is always possible to lose even a three goal lead because of pressure and momentum the other side gets when they score - in this case City just stopped playing in the second half and got very sloppy - the first goal was well taken but we should have stopped the cross and Flint and Little should have done better with Bent. The second goal, Jo Bryan does not track his man and a free ball into the box is powered home. Again, where was Flint. I dont want to criticise but I think Flint gets far too much slack and I think his positional play is shocking for both the two goals. The penalty was soft indeed.

These things happen because we have not put out a settled side and thus we are always going to be "fragile". I also think LJ did not use his subs well and thus tactically we got the second half wrong...Brownhill was knackered, Joe Bryan was too far forward leaving Goldbourne exposed for the second goal. I would also ask - Why is Magnusson not in the squad, he should be in every time for me. Personally think Callum O'Dowda is a better player than Bryan and is defensively better. Pack should have come on for Brownhill when Derby scored the first. Thus, this is where LJ is culpable but ultimately the players have to man up and take responsibility. 

All in all, I would have taken a point from the game. It is a good point as we would have lost that game a month ago. All I am saying is that the team looked better and upfront we looked lethal... we tore a good Derby team apart and If Taylor and Bryan score their chances we win the game, thus fine margins indeed.  

I hope that we now have the framework for a settled first 11 so that we can pick up points and build confidence to rid us of this defensive fragility. Let's see what we can do at Leeds. COYR

Message to "Wecando".

At present, we are one of the lesser sides because our defending in the last twenty minutes of each game is questionable to say the least.

So it is not a certainty that we will stay up. In fact unless we start to perform for 95 minutes, we will be relegated.

PS. When did a visiting side at Ashton Gate last score 3 goals and fail to win?

14 hours ago, longyears said:

No question in my mind - probably our most intelligent and mobile ( international ) defender is not even on the bench. The committed but ox like Flint starts every game. We could have put on defensive midfielders yesterday and shut up shop but no - little Lee does something different. Only Bristol City can lose or draw games from 2 or 3 in front on a regular basis. The guy is a clueless and inept head coach who we are stuck with due to SL being a clueless and inept owner - no doubt LJ will be here at season end to usher us into the third division -  enjoy all you optimists cos we are going down the way things are.

I will have £100 with you we won't go down this season 

22 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Message to "Wecando".

At present, we are one of the lesser sides because our defending in the last twenty minutes of each game is questionable to say the least.

So it is not a certainty that we will stay up. In fact unless we start to perform for 95 minutes, we will be relegated.

PS. When did a visiting side at Ashton Gate last score 3 goals and fail to win?

I was intrigued about that so I looked it up. 

February 23, 2013

Bristol City 5-3 Barnsley

56 minutes ago, MRSATAN said:

And if his striker, who otherwise had a great game, hadn't missed an open goal tap in from 1 yard out, he would have won that game. I'm not really sure how a manager who otherwise got things spot on should legislate for that?

1 hour ago, MRSATAN said:

No offence intended here mate but it seems all the Johnson loving,tree hugging,the world is powered by flower power and we will do a Gloria gaynor, luvvers are happy with a point,yes a point is good at the start of the game against a strong Derby side.

BUT

if we were say 8-0 up at half time but we let 8 in,in the second half is that still a point gained?  Because by Christ at 3-0 with 35ish minutes left on the clock you should not lose or draw,

Nope, not fact, your opinion of what another manager might have achieved. Capital letters don't make it a fact.

It was Johnson's management that got us the 3-0 lead in the first place - why does he get no credit for the first half but criticism for the second?

Of course it's disappointing not to win from such a strong position. But ultimately his team achieved a point at a difficult place to visit that most would have taken in advance.

2 hours ago, City Ben said:

Hi Kevster.

Sorry, I was being a bit facetious earlier. I just get frustrated by people misunderstanding the ownership structure of the stadium. It's owned by a different statutory company than the statutory company which owns the players' contracts. Both of those are owned by the same company, in turn owned by SL. That's it. No smoke and mirrors. And I think any perceived "deference" is more gratitude for the amounts he's invested in our club, rather than thinking he can do no wrong simply because he's rich. 

Your other point about potentially having the best stadium in the third tier I obviously completely agree with! 

That Coventry's ground is better-is it still the 'Ricoh??

16 hours ago, longyears said:

No question in my mind - probably our most intelligent and mobile ( international ) defender is not even on the bench. The committed but ox like Flint starts every game. We could have put on defensive midfielders yesterday and shut up shop but no - little Lee does something different. Only Bristol City can lose or draw games from 2 or 3 in front on a regular basis. The guy is a clueless and inept head coach who we are stuck with due to SL being a clueless and inept owner - no doubt LJ will be here at season end to usher us into the third division -  enjoy all you optimists cos we are going down the way things are.

That's the spirit..

12 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

That Coventry's ground is better-is it still the 'Ricoh??

The freehold for the Ricoh is owned by the council, the leasehold by a company called ACL. Coventry City FC leased the stadium from ACL. Then they had a dispute with ACL. It's a completely different situation, isn't it? 

15 hours ago, Big Red Rich said:

Please tell me a club that has continually employed the right manager? Granted we've had a few numpties, but no more than others I reckon. 

It's a good point, Southampton is one that comes to mind, however rather than appoint based on the manager they search for a manager who fits their philosophy and views. 

13 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

Agreed. To draw from such a commanding position was poor but there were positives and I would have taken a point...I also think there is optimism if we can replicate that 1st half...lets not forget we dont actually have a settled side....hopefully this is now it....

Hope so, however I am angry over that pen, it was a dive, and just how the ref can give it I don't know, I said before to get back into the match the ref had to help them with a dodgy pen, and that's what he did. If I was a cynic I would think there were other reasons other than a sporting one that made him do that. You see these terrible decisions made every week, the standard of officials is appalling, too many go in favour of the bigger clubs. If the managers speak out they are jumped on for bringing the game into disrepute,the FA needs to sort it out, but of course they won't.  

26 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Hope so, however I am angry over that pen, it was a dive, and just how the ref can give it I don't know, I said before to get back into the match the ref had to help them with a dodgy pen, and that's what he did. If I was a cynic I would think there were other reasons other than a sporting one that made him do that. You see these terrible decisions made every week, the standard of officials is appalling, too many go in favour of the bigger clubs. If the managers speak out they are jumped on for bringing the game into disrepute,the FA needs to sort it out, but of course they won't.  

It's doubtless unconscious but it does seem that refs favour 'big' clubs. Arsenal v Hull was the latest example with a handball goal allowed and Gibbs not being sent off when a Hull player doing the same almost certainly would have been.

2 hours ago, Engvall's Splinter said:

Executed the game plan perfectly according to his twitter interview. 

FFS. 

Except that's not what he said at all, is it?

He was specifically talking about the first half, but then if you actually apply some context it doesn't fit the agenda, does it?

18 hours ago, longyears said:

yes can see it in the post now back us we can get back up at the first attempt little lee

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Me too. I'm completely confident we will stay up. Any takers from the LJ out camp?

No, I'm in the 'LJ out camp' but that doesn't mean I think we'll definitely go down if he stays. It could go either way, but on balance, and particularly looking at the poor form of our relegation rivals, I think the likelihood is we'll probably scrape clear.

The point is though that to me LJ has proven himself to be a very fragile and uninspiring coach of limited ability who hasn't learnt from mistakes earlier in his managerial career. He seems to over rate himself and is remarkably set in his ways for someone with such limited experience at this level.

I'd have no confidence in him being any more reliable or successful in the future, and imo. more of the same and another season of struggle for City if LJ stays.

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No, I'm in the 'LJ out camp' but that doesn't mean I think we'll definitely go down if he stays. It could go either way, but on balance, and particularly looking at the poor form of our relegation rivals, I think the likelihood is we'll probably scrape clear.

The point is though that to me LJ has proven himself to be a very fragile and uninspiring coach of limited ability who hasn't learnt from mistakes earlier in his managerial career. He seems to over rate himself and is remarkably set in his ways for someone with such limited experience at this level.

I'd have no confidence in him being any more reliable or successful in the future, and imo. more of the same and another season of struggle for City if LJ stays.

All fair points though personally I think there is improvement on the horizon. 

It was more a calling out of those who talk like relegation is a certainty to see just how confident they actually are and how much of it is bluster. 

People make bold claims like 'the clown will take us down' and go strangely quiet when there's cash on the line! 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Except that's not what he said at all, is it?

He was specifically talking about the first half, but then if you actually apply some context it doesn't fit the agenda, does it?

A game plan is for just a half? Maybe that's where we're going wrong then? I was under the impression a game was 90+ minutes. A perfect, well executed game plan would've been a 3 nil victory or 3 points. 

Archived