IGNORED

Is there a future for Lee Johnson? (Merged, again and again)

longyears

so let me get this straight, its NOT ok to have an opinion on here.

aah well, there was I thinking that this was an open forum.

I haven't whinged about LJ particularly, certainly not more than a lot of folk on here that article just got on my nerves.

and some of the posters above who have reacted so theatrically (above) have certainly contributed some right old horse shit in their time,  i never realized there were so many snowflakes on here (! - thats a joke BTW, for the hard of thinking)

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I think we are in a position now where lines have been drawn in the sand regarding LJ. Many posters are now so vehemently opposed to him that every and any possible reason to have a go, will be taken.

What I find so sad about this kind of thing is that it helps nobody. That is not supporting your club. SL has backed his manager and regardless of people saying LJ has 'failed', he is still here managing the team, who BTW OP are playing tonight.

The last four months have been awful, granted, but the last three games have seen the glimpses of a turn around. At least the more sensible anti-LJ posters have the decency to tone down their rhetoric after 5 points from three games.

But the constant negativity from some does nothing but drive us backwards. Thankfully everyone inside the club is working hard to drive us forward. 

OK, fair point well made, and without abuse

I'm not sure where this argument leads though. for me, (and we are still allowed opinions I think)

i've seen many managers here, and something about LJ has me worried. happy to debate it, but clearly some folk seem upset at such discussions.

10 minutes ago, Antman said:

OK, fair point well made, and without abuse

I'm not sure where this argument leads though. for me, (and we are still allowed opinions I think)

i've seen many managers here, and something about LJ has me worried. happy to debate it, but clearly some folk seem upset at such discussions.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion, but you've twisted an absolute non-story into something to slag off LJ about.

There's enough things to debate or criticise that LJ has done or not done without having to invent one for the sake of it.

16 minutes ago, Antman said:

I haven't whinged about LJ particularly, certainly not more than a lot of folk on here that article just got on my nerves.

and some of the posters above who have reacted so theatrically (above) have certainly contributed some right old horse shit in their time,  i never realized there were so many snowflakes on here (! - thats a joke BTW, for the hard of thinking)

Good reposte and I think your original point has an element of truth which is being missed.

On Saturday LJ left out literally a whole team of players who he has purchased since coming here.

We seem to be back to the bad days of a bloated squad of average players.

2 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Good reposte and I think your original point has an element of truth which is being missed.

On Saturday LJ left out literally a whole team of players who he has purchased since coming here.

Erm, no.

The article itself lists 7 players- less than a whole team- and 3 of those were here since before he was appointed, a fourth player was Matthews who hasn't been purchased.

So he has left out 3 players that he has purchased. Hardly an unreasonable number.

5 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Or maybe he picked a team that was right for the game - or at least the first half.

Ok so it went tits up - again - in the second half but go back and read the comments for the first half on the match thread.

Was that not an improvement? 5 points out of 3 games. Is that not an improvement?

Christ it's been piss poor in recent months but I see this as being a massive improvement - albeit with work still needed.

4 hours ago, The Journalist said:

This is exactly what I struggle with. There's surely enough to go at LJ with - if you're that way inclined - without getting on his case about articles on the club website.

It's this sort of thing that almost makes me feel even more supportive of the head coach - by all means call for his head because we lost nine in a row, but getting hung up over every word he says, battering him because you didn't like him as a player or pinning individual defensive errors on him? That's when fan opinion credibility goes out of the window.

I think you said the other day you don't see many games these days - perhaps you'd be a little less supportive of LJ if you did!

Why might criticism of LJ, even if you see it as a bit OTT, make you 'even more supportive' of him - do you have an emotional attachment to him as an individual that outweighs the facts of his abysmal run and our perilous league position? :dunno:

23 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Erm, no.

The article itself lists 7 players- less than a whole team- and 3 of those were here since before he was appointed, a fourth player was Matthews who hasn't been purchased.

So he has left out 3 players that he has purchased. Hardly an unreasonable number.

Good reply. 

Yes, 'literally a whole team' is a vast exaggeration. The truth is only 1 regular player bought in LJ's time didn't make the squad: Hordor - rightly IMO rested. The other 2: Matthews (loan player) - still struggling with fitness and form and Engvall who has not been good enough for the squad yet this season. So another non-story i'm afraid.

Squad size has been debated before. We have a reasonable size squad - as I posted on a another thread, we actually have something like the 18th smallest squad out of the 24 championship teams. 

Regardless, for the life of me I cannot understand why now we finally, after almost two years of struggling in certain positions, have some competition for places, which is only a good thing, people would complain? Those same people would certainly complain if we had a few injuries and players were played out of position as cover.

“I’m pleased that we got our mojo back for 60 or 70 minutes against Derby – particularly with our football and the way we played."

LJ misses the point completely.    The problem is he doesn't know how to prepare a team that can keep its mojo for more than 70 minutes.

Someone tell him games last for 90+++ minutes   :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think you said the other day you don't see many games these days - perhaps you'd be a little less supportive of LJ if you did!

Why might criticism of LJ, even if you see it as a bit OTT, make you 'even more supportive' of him - do you have an emotional attachment to him as an individual that outweighs the facts of his abysmal run and our perilous league position? :dunno:

Perhaps that was a poor choice of wording because, as I've said before and as you allude to, I don't see enough of us to feel like I can too strongly lean one way or another (not that that stops many others, of course!).

I guess my point was that some people just aren't being fair and reasonable and that pisses me off a bit, as I like to think of us as a fair-minded and reasonable set of supporters. I actually think we are, on the whole.

I totally get fans wanting him out because we've been rubbish for a while - again, I don't watch us often enough to pretend my opinion is better qualified on that score. That's fine and I respect fans who've lost patience with our performances and results.

It's just all the other nonsense like, in my view, the original post. It's having a go just for the sake of it.

I know football is an emotional game and we're all different, I just want to see a bit more of the sort of balance and consistency of judgment that posters like Ole, cynic, yourself etc. manage.

Make sense?

13 minutes ago, Daniro said:
“I’m pleased that we got our mojo back for 60 or 70 minutes against Derby – particularly with our football and the way we played."

LJ misses the point completely.    The problem is he doesn't know how to prepare a team that can keep its mojo for more than 70 minutes.

Someone tell him games last for 90+++ minutes   :facepalm:

I'm sure he knows.... 

3 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Perhaps that was a poor choice of wording because, as I've said before and as you allude to, I don't see enough of us to feel like I can too strongly lean one way or another (not that that stops many others, of course!).

I guess my point was that some people just aren't being fair and reasonable and that pisses me off a bit, as I like to think of us as a fair-minded and reasonable set of supporters. I actually think we are, on the whole.

I totally get fans wanting him out because we've been rubbish for a while - again, I don't watch us often enough to pretend my opinion is better qualified on that score. That's fine and I respect fans who've lost patience with our performances and results.

It's just all the other nonsense like, in my view, the original post. It's having a go just for the sake of it.

I know football is an emotional game and we're all different, I just want to see a bit more of the sort of balance and consistency of judgment that posters like Ole, cynic, yourself etc. manage.

Make sense?

Yep, fair enough. It's just I do get the impression some posters are arguing in LJ's favour out of some misplaced sympathy for the individual rather than coldly assessing what's best for the club in order to avoid the potential impending disaster, and I really can't understand that.

BTW, if your absence from AG isn't self imposed due to waning interest I hope you'll be in a position to attend regularly again soon. You've always come over as a very keen and committed long term fan, in which case you must be missing your regular seat in the Dolman.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, fair enough. It's just I do get the impression some posters are arguing in LJ's favour out of some misplaced sympathy for the individual rather than coldly assessing what's best for the club in order to avoid the potential impending disaster, and I really can't understand that.

BTW, if your absence from AG isn't self imposed due to waning interest I hope you'll be in a position to attend regularly again soon. You've always come over as a very keen and committed long term fan, in which case you must be missing your regular seat in the Dolman.

I think the use of impending disaster is somewhat an exaggeration. It's certainly an opinion. We've yet to be in the relegation zone, despite a very poor run and that rot has been stopped.

I'm not sure how many posters who argue in LJ's favour have an emotional attachment to him, be interesting to know who does? Do you think SL, MA and the board have not coldly assessed the situation and thought what is best for the club? Or do they all have a misplaced sympathy for LJ?

Actually I've wondered myself to counter your opinion Nogbad, how many people on here are thinking purely with emotion, fear in fact, frustration and more and that is why they're so adamant he must go? Certainly, now as many have made their opinions clear, their emotions won't let them change their mind on LJ.

I think some would argue that, taking emotion aside, there is a cold assessment that supports not sacking LJ. 

24 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I didn't realise that our job as supporters of City was to "coldly assess what's best for the club"? 

Blimey, football is a sport filled with opinions and emotion I thought? That's part of the reason we love it. To suggest we should all become emotionless dummies is just plain daft.

As an aside, should you really be preaching about "misplaced sympathy" for managers when you and others still seem to be pining over Cotterill to this day?

10 hours ago, Antman said:

Of course you're allowed an opinion, I personally just couldn't really understand why you sounded so angry about a pretty stock reply about having a strong squad. I notice you didn't actually respond to people who disagreed with you, just wrote this post whinging about people picking you up on your OP.

Irony is lost on you if you think the replies to your post are the "theatrical" part of this thread.

My question is two-fold, will LJ survive at City?  And if so, is he going to improve as a consequence of this terrible season?

I don't want to comment on whether this is the right approach, but it seems LJ has got the job for the rest of the season, otherwise he would've already been dismissed.  If we stay up this season, which I still believe to be the case - but by the skin of our teeth - will LJ be a better manager next season?

Clearly, there are a vast number of fans disillusioned and pi**ed off with LJ's tenure, so to those fans, if we do stay up and show signs of improvement, will LJ be able to win your confidence?

And yes, this is another Lee Johnson thread,  but let's be honest - he is the main talking point of the club at present.

Archived