IGNORED

Joe Jordan

alexukhc

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I've been watching the videos from that era that have been posted on here....didn't realise why you all rated Shelton.  I didn't see many of those games, but boy, he was a good player.

IMG_0272.JPG

Shelton , for me , was right up there competing with any midfielder I've seen in a City shirt Dave, not as awesome as Gow but right up there for me (And we didn't have him at his peak)

Was my idea of almost the perfect box to box dynamic midfielder - could tackle, great engine, could create, good passer, scored goals - what more could you want (Also one of the nicest guys I've ever / you could ever , meet)

Wonderful leader and skipper to , did so by being an example and talking , talking , encouraging , advising - as important in that side IMHO as SuperBob in a lot of ways

Boy we could do with him right now

Another name that suddenly popped in my head was Andy May - Personally I liked him - Think opinions on him were more mixed , but I thought he had a touch of class

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Shelton , for me , was right up there competing with any midfielder I've seen in a City shirt Dave, not as awesome as Gow but right up there for me

Was my idea of almost the perfect box to box dynamic midfielder - could tackle, great engine, could create, good passer, scored goals - what more could you want (Also one of the nicest guys you could ever meet)

Another name that suddenly popped in my head was Andy May - Personally I liked him - Think opinions on him were more mixed , but I thought he had a touch of class

never wasted  the ball did may and usually made something happen...did well after leaving city at millwall

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I've been watching the videos from that era that have been posted on here....didn't realise why you all rated Shelton.  I didn't see many of those games, but boy, he was a good player.

IMG_0272.JPG

What I'd give for a Gary Shelton in the team now (and no that's not Cockney rhyming slang). He was quite old when he came to us (beyond his peak) & wasn't one of those signings that got you excited but Christ, what a signing he turned out to be, I just wish we'd got him a few years earlier.

2 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

What I'd give for a Gary Shelton in the team now (and no that's not Cockney rhyming slang). He was quite old when he came to us (beyond his peak) & wasn't one of those signings that got you excited but Christ, what a signing he turned out to be, I just wish we'd got him a few years earlier.

Shelton, Gow & AN Other in a midfield three !!!

Yes please !!!

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Shelton , for me , was right up there competing with any midfielder I've seen in a City shirt Dave, not as awesome as Gow but right up there for me (And we didn't have him at his peak)

Was my idea of almost the perfect box to box dynamic midfielder - could tackle, great engine, could create, good passer, scored goals - what more could you want (Also one of the nicest guys I've ever / you could ever , meet)

Wonderful leader and skipper to , did so by being an example and talking , talking , encouraging , advising - as important in that side IMHO as SuperBob in a lot of ways

Boy we could do with him right now

Even to this day we've never replaced Gary Shelton. Class act

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

How about another one from that era 

A homegrown player that could have been up,towards there with Shelton and Gow if he had made the most of his outstanding talent

Quite a few in here will have know / know him

(For the young ones think Ross Berkeley but hard as nails)

IMG_0766.JPG

Micky Tanner!! Bit of loon (in the nicest of ways).

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

How about another one from that era 

A homegrown player that could have been up,towards there with Shelton and Gow if he had made the most of his outstanding talent

Quite a few in here will have know / know him

(For the young ones think Ross Berkeley but hard as nails)

IMG_0766.JPG

Was only chatting to Mickey the other day. He's got some stories that would make your hair curl!!

We had some very good players that played for the team, and there was good balance. Shelt's was good but Andy May was right up there. 
Always been convinced we would have challenged if he stayed, Lumsden was a nice bloke who actually said he didn't want the job but took it anyway. Good finish first year but lost momentum. Middlesboro away (only game I missed that year free beer all weekend in Ilfracombe) Ref stitched us up, should have had a pen then they went up and scored. Lost at Oldham (thrown out of Bernard Mannings club :blink:) , lost at home to Millwall and at Sheff Wed (where the announcer asked us to leave as our singing was ruining their party, think they clinched promotion) . Missed out by 3 points.

1. OLDHAM ATHLETIC          46  17  5  1  55  21   8  8  7  28  32   88

2. WEST HAM UNITED          46  15  6  2  41  18   9  9  5  19  16   87

3. SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY      46  12 10  1  43  23  10  6  7  37  28   82

4. NOTTS COUNTY             46  14  4  5  45  28   9  7  7  31  27   80

5. Millwall                 46  11  6  6  43  28   9  7  7  27  23   73

6. Brighton & Hove Albion   46  12  4  7  37  31   9  3 11  26  38   70

7. Middlesbrough            46  12  4  7  36  17   8  5 10  30  30   69

8. Barnsley                 46  13  7  3  39  16   6  5 12  24  32   69

9. Bristol City             46  14  5  4  44  28   6  2 15  24  43   67

6 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Was only chatting to Mickey the other day. He's got some stories that would make your hair curl!!

I bet we all know at least a few of them !!! :laughcont:

Joe really tried to get him to take it seriously , thought he could be a top top player - He had unbelievable natural ability didn't he and no doubt could have made it in Div One IMHO 

Possibly the most unfulfilled potential , alongside Dwayne Plummer , that I can remember (Homegrown) at the club

Shaun Penny too possibly

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Been trying to get the perfect third to add to compliment Gow & Shelton in a midfield three ....

Cormack ?

Any good suggestions ?

In modern times I agree with Peter Cormack.

But from olden times, it has to be Tommy Burden. Superb midfielder and almost up there with Sit Gerry. 

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Been trying to get the perfect third to add to compliment Gow & Shelton in a midfield three ....

Cormack ?

Any good suggestions ?

Newman. For height, presence, passing and long range shooting. 

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Loved him as a player and as a manager. Last I heard he was living in Clifton. Not that long ago

He did miss a sitter up at Walsall in the 2nd leg after we had clawed it back. I know because I was sat right behind the shot and couldn't believe it went wide. joking aside, he was quality and defo a City legend.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Still haven't seen a midfielder who is fit to lace his boots. 

Simply outstanding player 

Archived