IGNORED

Joe Jordan

alexukhc

19 hours ago, glynriley said:

Built a really good side in his first spell. John Bailey was a shrewd signing,experienced old head. Newman and Humphries at the back were a good pairing, psycho hard as nails and biff more cultured, could play a bit could biff and anywhere in the team. 

Similar in midfield where shelts was all action and chipped in with goals and Rennie was a good passer and read the game well. 

Up front turner and God, not much more can be said about that pair that hasn't already.

Forget the second spell, inherited a poor side and couldn't halt the slide. 

The memories of that first spell should not be tainted by the second. Top man is Joe and I'm sure anyone who followed us then have nothing but respect and affection for the man and the players. 

I can't read this thread without getting all teary eyed. God, that team was so good it really did have it all. Pace, power, goals, bit of niggle, endurance, anything you want to add. It all went wrong near the end when Super Bob done his hammy, and the G*s came through and nicked it from us (the bastards!). As I remember they were in and around us all season, but had an unbelievable run near the end, just as we dipped off. I miss that team

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I've been watching the videos from that era that have been posted on here....didn't realise why you all rated Shelton.  I didn't see many of those games, but boy, he was a good player.

IMG_0272.JPG

Shelton was such a good player. One of the oldest cliches in the book, but he really did cover every blade of grass, every game. Was completely underwhelmed when we signed him (wasn't it as part of a swap deal that saw Steve Maclaren go to Oxford?), but he won me over after about 10 mins

I'm off for a cry now :sad26:

2 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Mental away match, that. Going home and away, expecting to win! Brilliant season. Great manager.

1 minute ago, B block said:

Hard to top that away game, remember it like it was yesterday 

Terry Yoraths first game as Manager and a masses bank of City fans roaring 

'And now you gotta believe us ...... The Welsh are F******* S****'

As the goals rattled in 

:laughcont:

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Terry Yoraths first game as Manager and a masses bank of City fans roaring 

'And now you gotta believe us ...... The Welsh are F******* S****'

As the goals rattled in 

:laughcont:

A middle aged woman in front of us was pouring out some tea from a flask, when we scored. Mayhem ensued, and her tea went everywhere. She did exactly the same, and we scored again....******* hilarious!

We were flying first time around under Joe Jordan. 

As others said I believe had he stayed and carried on building the momentum first time around we might possibly have been knocking on the door of the promised land a little sooner than 2008.

You have only got to watch that FA Cup tie against Chelsea to realise just how potent we were going forward. 

We played some real entertaining football under Joe and it was only tainted by the Sags stealing the Championship from under our noses (because we froze after leading the pack for almost the entire season) and then rubbing our noses in it for years (which incidentally is why I still detest the Gas to this day).

17 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Chris Honor was spookily the guest on Radio Bristol with Twentyman tonight on 'Sound Of The City

Good listen if anyone wants a listen on catch up

Chris was on my Level 2 coaching course up at the City many years ago, very nice and down to earth chap. Was running a garage at the time. Have since played in the same team as him in a Citys legends game (I was an 11th to make up the numbers !) I Was paired with Rob Edwards in CM with Gary Owers on my right and I played a through ball for Gerry Harrison to score.

No automatic alt text available.

I find 'where are they now' features interesting.

Obviously a lot of ex players stayed in the game as coaches, and being a pub landlord was common.

Frannie Lee broke the mould by becoming a bog roll mogul, and eventually chairing Man City. In fact a mate of mine visited his company, and I think he met the shithouse svengali.

Even lower division players amass such a lot of money (in the main), it's harder to imagine this happening as much these days. They are too busy snorting charlie from a groupie's arsehole.

Archived