IGNORED

20Man / Mark Ashton (Merged)

RT's Vaseline Tub

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Simply not true.  In old first division twice, FA Cup Finalists, plus Wedlock and Atyeo. 

Can't wait for BS to Go away

Just want to make sure I have this right. Your response to the suggestion that we have a mediocre history is to point out one cup final three years before the Titanic sank?

And for that reason we should all fear what Bristol Sport is going to do to our glorious heritage?

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Just want to make sure I have this right. Your response to the suggestion that we have a mediocre history is to point out one cup final three years before the Titanic sank?

And for that reason we should all fear what Bristol Sport is going to do to our glorious heritage?

You edited that quickly! :thumbsup:

This is why MA on Radio Bristol tonight would be pointless - I hope Geoff asked tough enough questions?

GT: Mark Ashton, thanks for joining us this evening.

MA: My pleasure Geoff, good to be here.

GT: So Mark, it's fair to say things have not gone to plan this season at Ashton Gate, how do you reflect on things at the moment?

MA: Look, Geoff, let me start by saying, I, along with the board and management team did not plan to be in a relegation fight this season. It's tough to take right now, but it is the position we are in and we are doing everything we can behind the scenes to get us up the table. We are a club with big ambitions, but at the same time are fully aware that there are no givens in football. We know it will take hard work and time to establish ourselves in this extremely competitive Championship division.

GT: But come on Mark, you've been a dismal run, a club record loss of defeats and form suggests you are in huge danger of relegation, that would be a disaster surely?

MA: It was a record none us of wanted, that is for sure Geoff. It was tough watching. But we worked extremely hard in January to fill some of the gaps in our squad with players with the right dynamics for the team to help give us a boost. Bailey Wright and David Cotterill are now firmly established in the team, Matty Taylor was shrewd business and along with Milan Djuric, both have chipped in with some goals. Our two Germans, Giefer und Hegeler, have also played a their part. 

GT: Talking of transfers, how do you reflect on the last two transfer windows?

MA: Well the reality is we are not one of the 'big fish' when it comes to transfers in this division. This season we have spent around £12 million of the near £300 million total spent this year in this league. With more clubs backed by premier league parachute payments, we cannot compete with some of the big boys on wages and fees. So in the summer we've looked for sustainability through players we can add value to. Much like with Jonathan Kodjia, who was good business for the club. Players like Josh, Callum, Taylor Moore and Hordor join some of the home-grown players like Bryan, Bobby and Zac as players who we hope will mature and be the back bone of this squad over the seasons to come.

GT: Another young signing was Gustav Engvall, I see he is heading off on loan to Sweden, what's the situation with him? You spent, what, £2 million, did you expect a better return for your money?

MA: Gustav is very much a player for the future. The Championship is a very demanding league for the younger players and the step up can be a huge learning curve for some. Gus had the chance to go to league one on loan, as Zac and Taylor have done, but he felt it wasn't the right move for him. He is keen to be in the Sweden U21's come the summer and felt playing back in Sweden would put in the shop window. We look forward to having him back next season with more experience under his belt.

GT: Given the performance of the squad this season, would you say you invested in too many players "for the future" last summer? 

MA: Perhaps we did. But the signings of Gary O'Neil, Lee Tomlin and Adam Matthews we felt brought good experience to the squad.

GT: Well, of those three players, none have had the impact you might have hoped, I think it's fair to say, why is that Mark?

MA: It's difficult to comment on personal circumstances, but all three have struggled with fitness and form at times this season.

GT: Could one of the reasons for a lack of form be disagreements with the manager? 

MA: Look Geoff, a top level football changing room is a high pressured, testosterone filled environment. There are big personalities in there, and from time to time, as you expect, these personalities come out. But it's clear from my day to day dealings with team, and the commitment of the players shown on the pitch over the last few games, that as a squad we are pulling in the right direction and the players are still working for Lee Johnson.

GT: Ah yes, Lee Johnson. A swear word for some City fans right now. After his record as City boss this season, many say he is very lucky to be in a job?

MA: (Laugh) Yes. Let's make no bones about this Geoff, we are in a relegation scrap. But we feel as a club, unity and hard work is the way forwards. Lee shares the ethos of the club's attempts to build for the future and I assure you he is working as hard as anyone to change the form of the team. The board wanted continuity and they've stuck by Lee because they believe he has the attributes to turn this around, as he has done before at Barnsley. 

GT: What if he does't turn it around and you are relegated, that would be a disaster wouldn't it?

MA: I can assure that everyone involved in Bristol City right now is doing everything they can to stop that becoming a reality. We have 9 games left and it is in our hands. We have the quality in the squad and with continued hard-work and unity, we believe we can stay up.

GT: Will Lee Johnson still be Bristol City manager if you are relegated?

MA: I'm not really prepared to comment on that right now, it's not appropriate at this time. But what I can say is Lee was brought in for the long term but obviously in football, plans can very quickly change, but we won't be making any snap decisions.

GT: Many of the City fans are disillusioned with the clubs decision to stick by Lee Johnson and feel the club are not respecting their opinions?

MA: I can completely understand the fans frustrations Geoff, we feel those frustrations too. But they have been fantastic this season in getting behind the team, especially at many of our away games. We are lucky to have such tremendous support and ask that they continue to get behind the team on the run in, we need them. When Ashton Gate is rocking like at the end of the Norwich game recently, they really are the 12th man we need.

GT: You've not really answered my question there Mark, the majority of City fans feel Lee should have been sacked already, what do say to them?

MA: Well, football will always be a game of opinions, every opinion is valid. As i've said the majority of City fans have been fantastic and behind the team at games this year. We hear their frustrations, we feel the way forward for the club is unity and we need the fans to join us with that attitude for the rest of the season.

GT: What about John Pemberton Mark? Popular figure, left under a bit of a cloud, did the right man get the sack?

MA: I'd like to reiterate our thanks to John, he was a hugely popular figure at the club and was fully committed the cause. As I've already said, we were looking with Lee at re-structuring the coaching set-up with next season in mind and given recent results, felt it would be beneficial to fast track those changes to mix things up on from a coaching point of view. I know there was also a lot of social media speculation about the situation, but for legal and contractual reasons we couldn't speak out about it until the time was right. We are delighted to have Jamie McAllister step up, another passionate and talented coach who knows the club inside out.

GT: Finally Mark, I know you have a game of squash to get to, but what about Steve Lansdown? Is the project still on course?

MA: Steve is as committed as ever to BCFC. We've worked hard to put things in place off the field to support progress on it. Most of the fans won't have seen all the new facilitates and advances we've made. Many of these benefits may take a few years to come to fruition and there are lot's of strands going on at once right now to progress the club. The premiership is the ultimate goal but right now our only thought is survival, and progression in the championship, building a club that can operate within it's means financially. 

GT: Thanks so much for coming in to speak to us tonight Mark.

MA: Pleasure, as always Geoff.

Do I get the new City spin doctor job? Watch out Adam Baker, i'm coming after you mate. :thumbsup:

18 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

This is why MA on Radio Bristol tonight would be pointless - I hope Geoff asked tough enough questions?

GT: So Mark, it's fair to say things have not gone to plan this season at Ashton Gate, how do you reflect on things at the moment?

MA: Look, Geoff, let me start by saying, I, along with the board and management team did not plan to be in a relegation fight this season. It's tough to take right now, but it is the position we are in and we are doing everything we can behind the scenes to get us up the table. We are a club with big ambitions, but at the same time are fully aware that there are no givens in football. We know it will take hard work and time to establish ourselves in this extremely competitive Championship division.

GT: But come on Mark, you've been a dismal run, a club record loss of defeats and form suggests you are in huge danger of relegation, that would be a disaster surely?

MA: It was a record none us of wanted, that is for sure Geoff. It was tough watching. But we worked extremely hard in January to fill some of the gaps in our squad with players with the right dynamics for the team to help give us a boost. Bailey Wright and David Cotterill are now firmly established in the team, Matty Taylor was shrewd business and along with Milan Djuric, both have chipped in with some goals. Our two Germans, Giefer und Hegeler, have also played a their part. 

MA: Well the reality is we are not one of the 'big fish' when it comes to transfers in this division. This season we have spent around £12 million of the near £300 million total spent this year in this league. With more clubs backed by premier league parachute payments, we cannot compete with some of the big boys on wages and fees. So in the summer we've looked for sustainability through players we can add value to. Much like with Jonathan Kodjia, who was good business for the club. Players like Josh, Callum, Taylor Moore and Hordor join some of the home-grown players like Bryan, Bobby and Zac as players who we hope will mature and be the back bone of this squad over the seasons to come.

GT: Another young signing was Gustav Engvall, I see he is heading off on loan to Sweden, what's the situation with him? You spent, what, £2 million, did you expect a better return for your money?

MA: Gustav is very much a player for the future. The Championship is a very demanding league for the younger players and the step up can be a huge learning curve for some. Gus had the chance to go to league one on loan, as Zac and Taylor have done, but he felt it wasn't the right move for him. He is keen to be in the Sweden U21's come the summer and felt playing back in Sweden would put in the shop window. We look forward to having him back next season with more experience under his belt.

GT: Given the performance of the squad this season, would you say you invested in too many players "for the future" last summer? 

MA: Perhaps we did. But the signings of Gary O'Neil, Lee Tomlin and Adam Matthews we felt brought good experience to the squad.

GT: Well, of those three players, none have had the impact you might have hoped, I think it's fair to say, why is that Mark?

MA: It's difficult to comment on personal circumstances, but all three have struggled with fitness and form at times this season.

GT: Could one of the reasons for a lack of form be disagreements with the manager? 

MA: Look Geoff, a top level football changing room is a high pressured, testosterone filled environment. There are big personalities in there, and from time to time, as you expect, these personalities come out. But it's clear from my day to day dealings with team, and the commitment of the players shown on the pitch over the last few games, that as a squad we are pulling in the right direction and the players are still working for Lee Johnson.

GT: Ah yes, Lee Johnson. A swear word for some City fans right now. After his record as City boss this season, many say he is very lucky to be in a job?

MA: (Laugh) Yes. Let's make no bones about this Geoff, we are in a relegation scrap. But we feel as a club, unity and hard work is the way forwards. Lee shares the ethos of the club's attempts to build for the future and I assure you he is working as hard as anyone to change the form of the team. The board wanted continuity and they've stuck by Lee because they believe he has the attributes to turn this around, as he has done before at Barnsley. 

GT: What if he does't turn it around and you are relegated, that would be a disaster wouldn't it?

MA: I can assure that everyone involved in Bristol City right now is doing everything they can to stop that becoming a reality. We have 9 games left and it is in our hands. We have the quality in the squad and with continued hard-work and unity, we believe we can stay up.

MA: I'm not really prepared to comment on that right now, it's not appropriate at this time. But what I can say is Lee was brought in for the long term but obviously in football, plans can very quickly change, but we won't be making any snap decisions.

GT: Many of the City fans are disillusioned with the clubs decision to stick by Lee Johnson and feel the club are not respecting their opinions?

MA: I can completely understand the fans frustrations Geoff, we feel those frustrations too. But they have been fantastic this season in getting behind the team, especially at many of our away games. We are lucky to have such tremendous support and ask that they continue to get behind the team on the run in, we need them. When Ashton Gate is rocking like at the end of the Norwich game recently, they really are the 12th man we need.

GT: You've not really answered my question there Mark, the majority of City fans feel Lee should have been sacked already, what do say to them?

MA: Well, football will always be a game of opinions, every opinion is valid. As i've said the majority of City fans have been fantastic and behind the team at games this year. We hear their frustrations, we feel the way forward for the club is unity and we need the fans to join us with that attitude for the rest of the season.

GT: What about John Pemberton Mark? Popular figure, left under a bit of a cloud, did the right man get the sack?

MA: I'd like to reiterate our thanks to John, he was a hugely popular figure at the club and was fully committed the cause. As I've already said, we were looking with Lee at re-structuring the coaching set-up with next season in mind and given recent results, felt it would be beneficial to fast track those changes to mix things up on from a coaching point of view. I know there was also a lot of social media speculation about the situation, but for legal and contractual reasons we couldn't speak out about it until the time was right. We are delighted to have Jamie McAllister step up, another passionate and talented coach who knows the club inside out.

GT: Finally Mark, I know you have a game of squash to get to, but what about Steve Lansdown? Is the project still on course?

MA: Steve is as committed as ever to BCFC. We've worked hard to put things in place off the field to support progress on it. Most of the fans won't have seen all the new facilitates and advances we've made. Many of these benefits may take a few years to come to fruition and there are lot's of strands going on at once right now to progress the club. The premiership is the ultimate goal but right now our only thought is survival, and progression in the championship, building a club that can operate within it's means financially. 

Do I get the new City spin doctor job? Watch out Adam Baker, i'm coming after you mate. :thumbsup:

That is incredible! Are you Mark Ashton?

Lots of words but no content at all. You ARE Mark Ashton!  ;)

20 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Pepper that with a few Malcolm Tuckerisms and you're on! 

10 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This whole "we've lost our identity under Bristol Sport" is just such a lazy criticism which wouldn't even get a mention if we weren't fighting relegation.

I'll post my list again if I have to!

I agree I don't understand the criticism of Bristol Sport, it's a very modern and sensible way of bringing sports together which are all under one roof / regime, possibly right slightly less identity but I don't think we get any less, football is a business as well as a sport rightly or wrongly.

7 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I found myself reading this hearing his voice.

Bravo!

Too much time on your hands!  But very good nonetheless!

1 hour ago, xerox6060 said:

I agree I don't understand the criticism of Bristol Sport, it's a very modern and sensible way of bringing sports together which are all under one roof / regime, possibly right slightly less identity but I don't think we get any less, football is a business as well as a sport rightly or wrongly.

As Bill Shankly might have said, football is more than a business it's a community's life itself

Thank you Mark.

Now Vincent, over to you!!!

9 hours ago, Kibs said:

I wasn't that enamoured with MA's chatter when he arrived to be honest (still not) but surely he is the least culpable of everyone?

He's helped to provide Lee Johnson with all the tools he could possibly want. It's not his fault that LJ is still working out the best way to use them. 

You're giving him far too much credit! The tools are still in their boxes! He's still trying to remove those annoying security wires!!

12 hours ago, cityboy said:

Or, you know, radio Bristol didn't give enough notice? I don't know many CEOs that don't have full diaries 'quite' far in advance.

Rubbish, I'd say: pre-recorded interview would be available at his convenience via phone (he could even ask to be notified of the Qs in advance, as if he couldn't guess them); he could take the interview live on his phone; he could release a statement. Nonsense to suggest he's too busy. Too many options available for that to be convincing.

11 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Simply not true.  In old first division twice, FA Cup Finalists, plus Wedlock and Atyeo. 

Can't wait for BS to Go away

In the last 60 years, we've won one league trophy. It was since Bristol Sport came along.

Hurry up and leave BS so we can go another six decades without a title.

That's "logic".

15 minutes ago, Huntstile Red said:

Rubbish, I'd say: pre-recorded interview would be available at his convenience via phone (he could even ask to be notified of the Qs in advance, as if he couldn't guess them); he could take the interview live on his phone; he could release a statement. Nonsense to suggest he's too busy. Too many options available for that to be convincing.

why does he need too?, he release something last week via our youtube channel 

9 hours ago, Warwickshire Red said:

I actually think SL is 100% responsible for appointing LJ.

LJ can't help his own incompetence. He can't do any better than his best which just isn't good enough I'm afraid.

If SL had appointed Warnock or other manager was some nouse and experience of the Championship, it's much less likely we'd be in this position.

"If SL had appointed Warnock or other manager was some nouse and experience of the Championship, it's much less likely we'd be in this position." 

Oh yes, I remember the fans clamouring for Warnock's appointment last year when we were in trouble!!  Funny how a bit of hindsight is useful when it comes to posting a meaningless soundbite.  You might suggest that had we stuck with Pulis we'd be in a better position than we are now, but I don't hear many people arguing that one.  Hang on though, didn't LJ keep us up last year?

Football is what it is, it turns on the smallest things.  Had Tomlin not missed two crucial penalties this season, and had Matty Taylor not missed an open goal against Derby, then we wouldn't be in the position we are in now.

36 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

In the last 60 years, we've won one league trophy. It was since Bristol Sport came along.

That's "logic".

No it is not logical

My two statements were not connected in the way you imply

My objections to BS have been explained numerous times on otib.

In short, my fear is that in the end Bristol Sport will destroy the spirit of .City and in worst case scenario could see club go under.  Nothing todo with trophies but after over a decade of SL mismanagement cannot see us reaching Premier League let alone Europe either

47 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

That's "logic".

And what evidence would you give to suggest that our title success was specifically down to Bristol Sport or what was it about Bristol Sport that made all the difference?

Surely it was all about the right manager, with the right players doing all the right things on the pitch?

15 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

No it is not logical

My two statements were not connected in the way you imply

My objections to BS have been explained numerous times on otib.

In short, my fear is that in the end Bristol Sport will destroy the spirit of .City and in worst case scenario could see club go under.  Nothing todo with trophies but after over a decade of SL mismanagement cannot see us reaching Premier League let alone Europe either

I pointed out in another thread how Bristol Sport have nothing to do with the day-to-day running of our club and you somehow missed it, which is odd since the post quoted you.

In short the only explanation for bashing BS you've put forward here is Steve Lansdown's mismanagement. Now I could be wrong, but I always thought Lansdown was born prior to 2013, unlike Bristol Sport.

@Midlands Robin my sarcasm gun isn't firing well today.

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

As Bill Shankly might have said, football is more than a business it's a community's life itself

I don't necessarily disagree from a personal standpoint.

The problem is that it is a business or becoming so- from about Upper end Championship upwards, it IS about business, big money, astronomical wages, transfer fees and big agents cuts thank you very much. It is basically a business or rather a clutch of businesses, 'brands' competing to be the best. Bristol Sport in time may well help with this financially, cross selling of tickets, cross growth of fanbase. If it fulfils its potential it's certainly a viable proposition! Whether it's a good thing is a different debate but football in the last 20, has moved in this direction- this country in particular.

Have you, or people on here generally ever read fcbusiness.co.uk ? Is an accurate if not terribly happy indicator of where the game is heading.

24 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

I pointed out in another thread how Bristol Sport have nothing to do with the day-to-day running of our club and you somehow missed it, which is odd since the post quoted you.

In short the only explanation for bashing BS you've put forward here is Steve Lansdown's mismanagement. Now I could be wrong, but I always thought Lansdown was born prior to 2013, unlike Bristol Sport.

@Midlands Robin my sarcasm gun isn't firing well today.

Don't worry your sarcasm mode is working well !

SL andBS are one and the same. He is the Controller of all (e.g. Our silent Board)

If SL concentrated on City the club would have had more money to spend, assuming he needed the same tax advantages

City have become a mere cog in a much larger business corporate enterprise

When the Lansdown family get fed up or their money runs out (e.g. A Government chasing tax exiles) who would purchase BS? More likely it would be split up and asset stripped (e.g. The stadium), and where would that leave City?

BS business model is self evidently not predicated on City being in Championship let alone Premiership

I dislike, as others do, the family feudal nature of the BS vanity Project.

I dislike, as others do, the Victorian management model

Sorry have to stop off to work where ironically I shall be speaking about the failures of Victorian Management

http://www.fcbusiness.co.uk/home

'Football Supporters and The Commercialisation of Football: Comparative responses across Europe' is a book.

Worth a look at how it's all gone./And this title is especially pertinent for us- 

From Passive to Active: the changing relationship between football clubs and supporters- Jamie A. Cleland One theme is two way diaglogue increasing between club and fan and so on.

Abstract

The changing relationship between football clubs and supporters has been the subject of recent debate but has received relatively limited empirical analysis based on case study research. This article draws on interviews and a questionnaire fan survey to assess the extent to which four football clubs had developed mechanisms to include ‘active’ supporters in club‐related decisions. The article then examines the strategies put in place by each club to encourage supporter involvement and whether they have been successful in their actions. The results indicated that supporters of clubs which encouraged an inclusive relationship through the opportunity of two‐way dialogue expressed greater satisfaction than supporters of clubs which maintained one‐way dialogue. The article concludes by suggesting that those clubs which are seen to exclude ‘active’ supporters could face long‐term financial consequences if they continue to operate in this way.

9 hours ago, Alessandro said:

You have got the vapid, tangential and side stepping bullshit down to a tee. Well done old son!

34 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Don't worry your sarcasm mode is working well !

SL andBS are one and the same. He is the Controller of all (e.g. Our silent Board)

If SL concentrated on City the club would have had more money to spend, assuming he needed the same tax advantages

City have become a mere cog in a much larger business corporate enterprise

When the Lansdown family get fed up or their money runs out (e.g. A Government chasing tax exiles) who would purchase BS? More likely it would be split up and asset stripped (e.g. The stadium), and where would that leave City?

BS business model is self evidently not predicated on City being in Championship let alone Premiership

I dislike, as others do, the family feudal nature of the BS vanity Project.

I dislike, as others do, the Victorian management model

Sorry have to stop off to work where ironically I shall be speaking about the failures of Victorian Management

So you don't like SL or Bristol Sport? I don't think you've quite been clear with your overall agenda here.

Why would City have more money to spend? Our outlay has been an absolute wedge, and what have you got to back up SL holding back any sort of funds to invest in other parts of Bristol Sport?

Lansdown is a billionaire, we haven't even scratched the surface of his fortune. He's not going to "run out of money" unless we decide to enter the Chinese Super League. But I'll keep an eye out for him at Bedminster Foodbank next time I'm driving past.

You don't like the family system. That's cool, maybe you'd prefer a fan-owned club, which I doubt would have been able to invest £45 million in a new stadium or sustain Premier League football, or a rich foreign owner, who sees City as his play thing. The choice is yours.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

"If SL had appointed Warnock or other manager was some nouse and experience of the Championship, it's much less likely we'd be in this position." 

Oh yes, I remember the fans clamouring for Warnock's appointment last year when we were in trouble!!  Funny how a bit of hindsight is useful when it comes to posting a meaningless soundbite.  You might suggest that had we stuck with Pulis we'd be in a better position than we are now, but I don't hear many people arguing that one.  Hang on though, didn't LJ keep us up last year?

Football is what it is, it turns on the smallest things.  Had Tomlin not missed two crucial penalties this season, and had Matty Taylor not missed an open goal against Derby, then we wouldn't be in the position we are in now.

You can insert whichever name you like provided he has proven experience of some success at this level which was my point. Warnock was just an example and I do think he's proved that over the years anyway to deserve respect. Even Pulis has done well keeping teams in the PL and got promotion out of the Championship.

LJ was always a risk as he had neither Championship experience nor even success at L1 level. It was clear SL appointed him based on their personal relationship and we've seen this approach before ending in failure. SL does not seem to learn on his appointments.

Of course some different results might have seen us up the table a little but there's always the "what if" question and we are where we are. He did ok last season but has been found wanting this.

Ultimately the manager/coach is usually judged on results ... we're just going to have to ride it out and see where we end up.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

We'd be breathing in the stench of relegation but not actually treading in the $hite!

Archived