IGNORED

20Man / Mark Ashton (Merged)

RT's Vaseline Tub

11 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I'm rather worried that he doesn't think he's wrong, and there's the rub.

Of course he might not be wrong

But as it stands it is certainly looking like he is

Lets hope Rum that me , you,  and a 'few others' are wrong , and he's right

Bet , like me , you'd be delighted with that ?

I would 

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I would 

I'd be ******* ecstatic!

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I would 

I was an LJ convert from the start, you can check my almost evangelical praise of him when he first came to the club.

Unfortunately he is not the Messiah.

sorry, was meant to quote @Bat Fastard  bloody phones.

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

In what way were you thinking BF ?

Well SL has seen many managers in action and he knows that Lee is young and still learning his trade. Just maybe, Steve thinks he is a great talent in the making and is prepared to accept a bit of a rough ride on the way - just as Manure did with Sir Alex.  That would explain his attitude.  Also, I think that he/they underestimated the right balance of experienced Championship players to promising rookies.  It may be that this was due to pressure from Steve and his much vaunted belief in youth.  He may well be right and we may see the fruits of the strategy next season.  In the meantime, all hands to the pump to stay up!!

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

I think a post like this is the crux of the problem with Mark Ashton.

You write about reasonable concerns, but ruin it with your last two paragraphs (I know you half said it was a joke, but I think the truth is coming through) which reveal the underlying personal resentment some 'working class' fans have towards the corporate types, the 'privileged ones'. 

So many people come across as having a chip on their shoulders and just look for another chance to have a go. 

In my opinion it doesn't help them being taken anymore seriously, though, because everyone will say their judgement is clouded by their emotions.

Good point. Except I'm as middle class as they come and the only thing I resent is his being overpaid for the 'work' he does.

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I would 

I'd love more than anything to be proved wrong and have to eat 20 humble pies with  gert humble cherrys on top. 

10 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Well SL has seen many managers in action and he knows that Lee is young and still learning his trade. Just maybe, Steve thinks he is a great talent in the making and is prepared to accept a bit of a rough ride on the way - just as Manure did with Sir Alex.  

That would explain his attitude.  Also, I think that he/they underestimated the right balance of experienced Championship players to promising rookies.  It may be that this was due to pressure from Steve and his much vaunted belief in youth.  He may well be right and we may see the fruits of the strategy next season.  In the meantime, all hands to the pump to stay up!!

The flaw in that is that his track record for selecting managers is , save one been

well

crap

Pssssst

Sir Alex might have been a relatively young manager but when Man Utd appointed him he'd won honours with St Mirren , Titles and Scottish Cups with Aberdeen..... Ohh and European Cup Winners Cup ........ and managed his country at a World Cup

Keep saying -  it's not much of a comparison is it 

Lets hope that's not one of Mr Lansdowns reasons !!!!

4 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

He has not just chosen a manager in Lee's case....he is building a manager!  

Have a little faith!

Going to give myself a slap on wrist for this one up front but I keep thinking of this quote and the same image keeps coming into my head

Sorry , and childish ,but me laugh

IMG_0834.JPG

Or this

' What's your thoughts Mavis , How about a collar tie , round neck jumper and brogues'

'Yes sounds different, you heard that Stan in carpentry made the legs far too short did you ? '

IMG_0836.JPG

7 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Well SL has seen many managers in action and he knows that Lee is young and still learning his trade. Just maybe, Steve thinks he is a great talent in the making and is prepared to accept a bit of a rough ride on the way - just as Manure did with Sir Alex.  That would explain his attitude.  Also, I think that he/they underestimated the right balance of experienced Championship players to promising rookies.  It may be that this was due to pressure from Steve and his much vaunted belief in youth.  He may well be right and we may see the fruits of the strategy next season.  In the meantime, all hands to the pump to stay up!!

When it comes to what Steve thinks regarding footballing talent or potential, we should assume he is hoping, rather than anything else. 

If Steve thinks LJ is the next messiah, well, forgive me if I doubt it. 

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Going to give myself a slap on wrist for this one up front but I keep thinking of this quote and the same image keeps coming into my head

Sorry , and childish but me laugh

IMG_0834.JPG

Or this

' What's your thoughts Mavis , How about a collar tie , round neck jumper and brogues'

IMG_0836.JPG

Remember a post punk band called Nightmares In Wax......

3 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Not the Alex Ferguson comparison - again. He achieved greater success at Aberdeen than Lee Johnson or the majority of current managers will earn during their careers. You make a number of intelligent and well balanced arguments - many that I disagree with - but the SAF analogy is laughoutloudable. Unless that was said tongue in cheek? Here's hoping.

6 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Not the Alex Ferguson comparison - again. He achieved greater success at Aberdeen than Lee Johnson or the majority of current managers will earn during their careers. You make a number of intelligent and well balanced arguments - many that I disagree with - but the SAF analogy is laughoutloudable. Unless that was said tongue in cheek? Here's hoping.

If he comfortably avoids relegation - then maybe he is "the special one"!

19 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I suppose it's sector specific: my staff are high-skilled and we work in a hi-tech industry. I try to make it a relaxed workplace as that is standard in the sort of agency I run. I probably break a golden rule by being personal friends with a few folk there, but when you work in a small team with someone for a long time, it happens. As long as you are acutely aware of their faults and limitations - and we all have those! - it's fine I think.

This is how NOT to do it in my industry: 

Would be sector specific, tend to agree. I think approach of you and @Ivorguysounds better than the ones I have experienced that's for sure. Sales is brutal- wouldn't recommend it to anyone but there IS potential for good rewards if one is very good at it. Am glad I don't do it anymore.

Archived