IGNORED

Is Johnson improving?

GJS

6 hours ago, GJS said:

Results have improved greatly from  our horrific run earlier in the season.

my question is does anyone think LJ has learned from his mistakes?

My personal opinion is he definitely has. Keeping the same back four has paid off in the recent weeks.

It looks like he will be in charge next season. Will be do better next season if he learns from this season?

Not really difficult to improve after an abject 5 nil dicking at Preston, was it?

The very rare decent results usually get followed by a horror show in the next match, so don't get too carried away about the achievements of your sprog Gary, as his successes have been very few and far between so far.

On the evidence so far, he appears to be a very slow learner, so the jury hasn't even got into the chamber yet, let alone made a decision on the clueless muppet!

6 hours ago, GJS said:

My personal opinion is he definitely has. Keeping the same back four has paid off in the recent weeks.

It looks like he will be in charge next season. Will be do better next season if he learns from this season?

no hes still a *****

3 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

The biggest problem I have with him is he picks out individuals for criticism and today his "I had to pick players I can trust" if you were a player not picked today then plain and simple the manager doesn't trust you. How would that make you feel as can player?. He simply had no need to make that comment.

exactly the only one not to trust is that snot gobler

2 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Not really difficult to improve after an abject 5 nil dicking at Preston, was it?

The very rare decent results usually get followed by a horror show in the next match, so don't get too carried away about the achievements of your sprog Gary, as his successes have been very few and far between so far.

On the evidence so far, he appears to be a very slow learner, so the jury hasn't even got into the chamber yet, let alone made a decision on the clueless muppet!

Following the defeat alot was made about LJs comments about how the riot act was read etc, and he knows which players he couldn't trust. To get a 3-1 win on the back of that defeat you have to give LJ some serious credit because whatever he done between Tuesday and now has worked. 

When you have a young team, with lots of new players it's kind of inevitable that you will get inconsistent results until one day it suddenly all clicks. I think Brighton are a good example of this.

Last seven games we only lost 2, two draw and 3 wins. Think that is well done when we are in the relegation batle. LJ have made misstakes think he will learn of that. This is his first season on this level. If we can avoid relegation its ok. Money is no garanti for sucsess, look at Villa. He and the team have showed strenght the last games, dont mean Preston, he he. Shit happens, ask Reading. Think he had improved, coyr

10 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

LJ addressed the issue of "knowing his best team" in his post match radio interview.  I believe he is getting better and so will the team.  SL likes him because his project work is very good - he even gave him a star!

He gave him 19 stars hardly any are playing on a regular basis for our first team.

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Following the defeat alot was made about LJs comments about how the riot act was read etc, and he knows which players he couldn't trust. To get a 3-1 win on the back of that defeat you have to give LJ some serious credit because whatever he done between Tuesday and now has worked. 

When you have a young team, with lots of new players it's kind of inevitable that you will get inconsistent results until one day it suddenly all clicks. I think Brighton are a good example of this.

Especially as these young players are in and out of the team and not sure which position they're being asked to play in .

Improving at what?

Management qualities? 

Or are we just talking recent results.

Being selective, and taking the most recent run of games which put Johnson in the best possible light, which happens to be the last 7 games, its 3 wins 2 draws 2 defeats. However 4 of those 7 were at home, so to take a balanced set of results you would have to take the previous game as well, which was the defeat at Villa. 

So its 3 wins 2 draws 3 defeats - mid table form.

But then analyse those games, which as a critic of Johnson, because I think we will always under achieve with him here (see the end of this post), I will from the negative aspects - LJ supporters will have alternative views no doubt.

Home to Burton, I was not there, but understand that they missed a open goal from 2 yards, although apparently we had a mad goalmouth scramble at the end so I am guessing a draw was fair.

Home to Norwich, they pissed all over us for the first 30 minutes and could have been out of sight had they made more of some very good chances.

Home to Huddersfield, I believe they had one of their main centre halves out before the game, and lost the other one after 8 minutes. Burton beat them the following week, so something suggests not all is as good as it was at Huddersfield.

Home to Wolves, I don't know much about them, but understand their main man Costa was out. According to the stats on the main website, we had 3 shots on target all game, so just as well we scored from all of them.

Away to Wigan, one of the few I have traveled to this season, was a poor game between two poor teams and Frankie made a couple of excellent saves whereas their keeper had nothing to do before our late winner.

As for the losses, it is universally agreed we were pathetic at both Brentford and Preston, and most reports indicated Villa deserved the win against us.

So, far as I can see, over the past 8 games, we have gained the absolute maximum number of points possible, given luck, injuries, and our performance.

Maybe we will see continued improvement in results. After yesterday I believe we will avoid relegation; we only have to avoid defeat at Blackburn and win one more home game to be almost certain of that.

But should Johnson be here next season? No way. He has not shown any leadership qualities or man management skills, and for that reason with him here we will under achieve relative to the money which Lansdown chucks at it, no matter what league we are in.

3 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Home to Burton, I was not there, but understand that they missed a open goal from 2 yards, although apparently we had a mad goalmouth scramble at the end so I am guessing a draw was fair.

Aaron Wilbraham had a goal disallowed for no rational reason.

4 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Home to Huddersfield, I believe they had one of their main centre halves out before the game, and lost the other one after 8 minutes.

Jonathan Hogg isn't a centre half. 

Just now, View from the Dolman said:

Aaron Wilbraham had a goal disallowed for no rational reason.

Jonathan Hogg isn't a centre half. 

As I said, LJ supporters will have their own views, and slant on incidents, and corrections on whether a key opposition player is a centre half or a midfielder.

But, the key part of my view that Johnson should not be our manager is this.

He has not, IMO, shown any leadership qualities or man management skills.

1 minute ago, NickJ said:

As I said, LJ supporters will have their own views, and slant on incidents, and corrections on whether a key opposition player is a centre half or a midfielder.

But, the key part of my view that Johnson should not be our manager is this.

He has not, IMO, shown any leadership qualities or man management skills.

If believing that mistruths have little place in any debate makes me an "LJ supporter", so be it.

19 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Since when under LJs management have we been rock bottom??

Oh I don't know, how about worst run of consecutive defeats in our history, chucking away two and three goal leads, unfathomable team selections, battling against relegation when we should be comfortably between 8th and 14th, spending zillions on players and then just not playing them, criticising players in public and making it obvious that he doesn't 'trust' them, refusing to take the blame for anything, getting Pembo sacked so his mate could step up and act like Phil Neal did when assistant to Graham Taylor in the England set up, goading our own fans when scraping a late winner against already doomed Rotherham, continually coming out with tired old cliches in interviews as though we're thick and finally admitting he didn't know what he was doing and was going 'back to the drawing board' in April.....that's pretty 'rock bottom' to me, and the odd victory here and there throughout a miserable campaign does not paper over any cracks.....

Any chance of a proven championship manager who knows what he's doing to set us back on the right track? Seemingly not...

12 hours ago, Up The City! said:

He actually said he knows which players he could trust after the Brentford game, we lost 5-0 two days later.

He's said the same thing several times this season, he actually said it not long before the game when he started with 8 of SC's signings and 3 of his own. Bizarre when he has made 19 signings himself!

Regards OP - last 7 games, 3 wins, 2 draws & 2 defeats = 11 points. If applied over a season then would give us a top half finish comfortably so perhaps he has learnt lessons. Would like to think we wouldn't have a horrific loosing run like this season again

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Oh I don't know, how about worst run of consecutive defeats in our history, chucking away two and three goal leads, unfathomable team selections, battling against relegation when we should be comfortably between 8th and 14th, spending zillions on players and then just not playing them, criticising players in public and making it obvious that he doesn't 'trust' them, refusing to take the blame for anything, getting Pembo sacked so his mate could step up and act like Phil Neal did when assistant to Graham Taylor in the England set up, goading our own fans when scraping a late winner against already doomed Rotherham, continually coming out with tired old cliches in interviews as though we're thick and finally admitting he didn't know what he was doing and was going 'back to the drawing board' in April.....that's pretty 'rock bottom' to me, and the odd victory here and there throughout a miserable campaign does not paper over any cracks.....

Any chance of a proven championship manager who knows what he's doing to set us back on the right track? Seemingly not...

Thank God we never did hit rock bottom or I could see you having a breakdown. 

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What colour is the sky from the planet on which you reside?

To clarify, rock bottom is like last season with Cotts in charge, or when SOD was in charge.

This season we have only very briefly been in the relegation zone, never been cut off, and never been rock bottom. We have started to turn things around at just the right time.

Are you a Rotherham fan and found your way onto the wrong forum? It's them who are rock bottom.

21 hours ago, GJS said:

Are you having a laugh ?  We got stuffed 5 - 0 at Preston only a few days ago. Earlier in the season we were in the top half of the table so surely that answers your question.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

To clarify, rock bottom is like last season with Cotts in charge, or when SOD was in charge.

This season we have only very briefly been in the relegation zone, never been cut off, and never been rock bottom. We have started to turn things around at just the right time.

Are you a Rotherham fan and found your way onto the wrong forum? It's them who are rock bottom.

Yes I'm a Rotherham fan because 'BS4' is obviously a Rotherham postcode...perhaps I'm just able to realise that the poster who originally said we were at 'rock bottom' under LJ didn't mean it literally and wasn't referring to our position in the table...you jumped in to tell that poster we had 'never been rock bottom under LJ' so I just supported that poster with many facts which backed up a 'rock bottom' description - and your two intellectual responses were to say I was in danger of 'having a breakdown' and then asking me if I was 'a Rotherham fan on the wrong forum' - you don't like people disagreeing with you do you?

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

We are in the Sky Bet Championship aren't we?   SBC.......much easier.

Well if 'Championship' is too long a word for you, then regardless of how ridiculous you make yourself look, I guess you better carry on advertising Murdoch's ventures.

I heard that he could do with the money...

6 hours ago, NickJ said:

Improving at what?

Management qualities?

Or are we just talking recent results. - Both. They come hand in hand, surely? The experience of this season will no doubt have taught LJ a lot.

Being selective, and taking the most recent run of games which put Johnson in the best possible light, which happens to be the last 7 games, its 3 wins 2 draws 2 defeats. However 4 of those 7 were at home, so to take a balanced set of results you would have to take the previous game as well, which was the defeat at Villa. - Pointing out someone's being selective and then writing out the rest of this post is absolutely hilarious. We have improved recently, that cannot be argued. Nobody is claiming we have done well over recent months but we have picked up again recently, hence LJ's nomination for Manager of the Month.

So its 3 wins 2 draws 3 defeats - mid table form.

But then analyse those games, which as a critic of Johnson, because I think we will always under achieve with him here (see the end of this post), I will from the negative aspects - LJ supporters will have alternative views no doubt.

Home to Burton, I was not there, but understand that they missed a open goal from 2 yards, although apparently we had a mad goalmouth scramble at the end so I am guessing a draw was fair. - Well we had a goal wrongfully disallowed and missed a penalty so I wouldn't say a draw was a fair result. Burton have also been playing very well recently, look at their results.

Home to Norwich, they pissed all over us for the first 30 minutes and could have been out of sight had they made more of some very good chances. - We've missed numerous good chances throughout the season, didn't get us any extra points unfortunately. For a team low on confidence it was a very good result.

Home to Huddersfield, I believe they had one of their main centre halves out before the game, and lost the other one after 8 minutes. Burton beat them the following week, so something suggests not all is as good as it was at Huddersfield. - Huddersfield had players out (like teams do every week) so you're going to focus on that instead of giving any credit for a 4-0 win against the form team in the division? This forum never fails to amaze me. Maybe they lost to Burton a week later because we knocked them off their stride, they lost confidence from getting deservedly hammered by us and Burton also had a man advantage at the time of the goal? Which I imagine as it was the 90th minute, were chucking everyone forward despite having a man less, as they needed the win to have any hope of catching Brighton or Newcastle.

Home to Wolves, I don't know much about them, but understand their main man Costa was out. According to the stats on the main website, we had 3 shots on target all game, so just as well we scored from all of them. - Costa being out definitely helped us, I won't argue against that. But again, injuries happen, you didn't focus on Abraham being out for us above. Wolves still have a very respectable squad, a good manager and had won 5 in a row. It was a very, very good result and shows significant character from the management and players to respond in that way to the 5-0 defeat a few days earlier.

Away to Wigan, one of the few I have traveled to this season, was a poor game between two poor teams and Frankie made a couple of excellent saves whereas their keeper had nothing to do before our late winner. - A relegation six-pointer where both teams were fighting for their lives. Again, tremendous character and spirit from us to win that game. It showed how much they are all fighting for the cause. A massive win and for you to downplay it, is quite frankly, ridiculous.

Just now, BigTone said:

Obviously the Brentford and Preston games weren't broadcast on the planet you live on

They were, and the team and management rightfully received criticism for those games. Wasn't a bad response to those results yesterday though, eh? Those two games don't hide the fact that we've shown great improvements recently. Which shows character from all involved when we were at such a low point. Not easy to get out of, but we've been doing a good job of it up til now.

6 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

They were, and the team and management rightfully received criticism for those games. Wasn't a bad response to those results yesterday though, eh? Those two games don't hide the fact that we've shown great improvements recently. Which shows character from all involved when we were at such a low point. Not easy to get out of, but we've been doing a good job of it up til now.

Sorry mate, but you really are on the wind up surely. Yesterday was great but look at the rest of our season because it really has been a complete piss take. Have we fielded the same team more than twice ? The excuses week in and week out are beyond belief considering what SL has spent on the squad . Genuinely I feel sorry for the man especially the shite he is getting from fans now. Really I am beyond words with this one.  Is Johnson improving ?  FFS come on and be real !!

Just now, BigTone said:

Sorry mate, but you really are on the wind up surely. Yesterday was great but look at the rest of our season because it really has been a complete piss take. Have we fielded the same team more than twice ? The excuses week in and week out are beyond belief considering what SL has spent on the squad . Genuinely I feel sorry for the man especially the shite he is getting from fans now. Really I am beyond words with this one.

I've not defended our performance over the season. It's been a poor season for all involved but the important thing is we stay up, and we've improved recently and look to have recovered from the horrendous run of form we were on from October to March. You feel sorry for the man but he'd share similar sentiments to myself so not sure what your point is, hence why he's remained loyal to LJ when 99% of owners would have pulled the trigger.

Archived