IGNORED

Matt Taylor

Bristol Rob

6 hours ago, bpexile said:

I'm thinking that Matty, like a few others need a lot more playing time to truly settle into a game plan (if LJ has one) because selection has been such a dogs breakfast. I think he definately gives us something, like others have said by creating space for Tammy, the jury is still out for me but am quietly confident he will prove effective.:fingerscrossed:

Does a dog's breakfast include eggs ?

I have to say I was impressed with his performance. His work rate was excellent - he hustled and harried the whole time he was on. His touch was poor on a few occasions and him and Tammy needed to be closer; he looked like someone who had only played bits and pieces over the last month. However, he did well enough for me to earn a little run in the team.

If anything he tried too hard and it affected his natural game as he seemed to spend a lot of the time out wide or coming short instead of getting in the channels and being in and around the box but again think that would improve with a run of games.

It sounds to me that all this making runs, putting in a shift, dragging defenders away etc you could be describing Kieron Agard who I thought was poor and was glad when we shifted him off to MK. However our squad gets re-shaped in the summer (the fabled 3rd window) will be interesting, whatever division we're in, and what sort of place in the squad he gets. If he could become a 10 goal championship striker alongside and creating room for a 25 goal striker (á la Tammy) that's great. 

That's what I meant CyderInACan when I said trying too hard. Almost too much running. He's a natural goalscorers going on his previous record so needs to get the balance between working hard and chasing down with being in the box to be in the right place at the right time. Too often on Saturday he wasn't.

I'm confident he will come good and prove his worth IF he ever gets a run of games.

Look at his previous seasons and you'll see it's taken him a while to adjust to a new club or new division, but once he does and most importantly gets his confidence, there's no stopping him.

He's not just a poacher, that's a complete misconception. He has good technique and will create and score goals for himself.

I think he's trying hard, but he needs to believe in himself that he belongs at this level. 

• Admin
5 hours ago, citywest30 said:

I have to say I was impressed with his performance. His work rate was excellent - he hustled and harried the whole time he was on. His touch was poor on a few occasions and him and Tammy needed to be closer; he looked like someone who had only played bits and pieces over the last month. However, he did well enough for me to earn a little run in the team.

If anything he tried too hard and it affected his natural game as he seemed to spend a lot of the time out wide or coming short instead of getting in the channels and being in and around the box but again think that would improve with a run of games.

Agree completely with the above - give him a full pre-season in the summer and believe we will see him improve his game even more

3 hours ago, tinman85 said:

I thought he did ok. For 300K it doesn't really matter. Djuric is the man we want fit. 

I would now happily go along with this, from tinman. "I think he did ok." Which is probably what you would expect, for 300k. Our £3m maestro/waster sat on the bench wants to be doing something about being behind an "ok" £300k forward in the pecking order.

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

Face palm represents my view on what I consider to be a very poor judgement on a player we've seen very little of thus far.

You call it instinct, I call it premature.......

premature adjudication ?

3 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

Not all players can come up from league 1 and be prolific in fact have we ever had a forward that's come up from a lower league and scored hatfulls of goals. Taylor will adapt to the league and we could see the best of him next season

Vardy?

22 hours ago, hertsexile said:

Thought he had a good game and was involved in patersons goal. Chased every lost course. Wolves defenders were rushed when he was on the park.when he went off wolves had more time on the ball. So felt he put in a good shift 

Seemed deserted at times.

3rd course :)

He has done well so far for us, on Saturday he did all the hard work up front which made the space for Tammy to have a good game, he may not have much pace put he seamed smart in his position play and he made the defence work really hard,

I see him as a second striker the guy who will help the number 1 striker shine, I think he will he a 8-10 goal a season player at this level which is very good for the money payed

47 minutes ago, stogursey red said:

He has done well so far for us, on Saturday he did all the hard work up front which made the space for Tammy to have a good game, he may not have much pace put he seamed smart in his position play and he made the defence work really hard,

I see him as a second striker the guy who will help the number 1 striker shine, I think he will he a 8-10 goal a season player at this level which is very good for the money payed

Pitman never had pace, but he could certainly finish, but we never adapted our tactics for him - we may need to do the same for Taylor and actually play to his strengths?

Can you imagine changing the size of the hole to fit the player - unheard of at Ashton Gate - see Tomlin for further evidence.

I think he's still adjusting and settling in. It must be quite strange moving clubs in the January window, you are moving to a club that probably needs a bit of strengthening, for some reason, and expected to just slot in and have everything click with players who gave been playing together for months. 

Taylor hasn't has to move cities but has moved house. He's also take a step up in quality and speed and gone from fierce rivals and hat to deal with all that involves. He played regularly for the Gas I believe and universally loved ( until the move!), now he's playing less and probably doesn't feel the love from us yet. He had a great ovation on Saturday, I'm sure that will have given him a confidence boost. He knows he's been accepted and can now get on with his job.

Archived