IGNORED

Matt Taylor

Bristol Rob

Him and Tammy started together against Derby and we scored 3 goals including Tammy and Taylor scoring one and Taylor setting one up.

Him and Tammy started together against Wolves and we scored 3 goals including Taylor setting one up, having a hand in the 3rd goal and Tammy scoring twice.

Think they compliment each other very well and think Matty had a reasonable game yesterday, but i guess unless hes scoring every game someone will have a bone to pick with him due to his previous employers.

He's not adapted to playing in the SBC yet  He's come from League 1, used to playing against teams with very average defenders and now he's up against far better players. 

It's a big step up for him but he will adapt and be a real goal threat next season.

Lots of differing opinions - but for me, spending £300k on him was worth it for three reasons:

1. It represented a miniscule tiny, irrelevant dent in SL's fortune

2. It caused absolute uproar, disbelief, rage and frustration amongst those north of the river

3. In the midst of absolute misery for City fans, we all laughed for just one day...

So, whatever he does for us from here on in is a bonus for me!

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Needs a run of games. He needs a goal at Ashton gate. Probably trying a bit to hard. As for Saturday thought he played quite well . Seeing how much pressure there was on the result 

Not only has he not played that many minutes he has to keep adapting to playing with different players everytime he plays.

To be honest 300k is an absolute bargain. For that type of striker in this league it would cost you much more than that!

Just now, ZiderEyed said:

Has no pace whatsoever. But for 300k you can't really complain.

He's a goal poacher and whilst pace helps it's not as crucial as movement and being in the right place at the right time.

Compare Taylor to Ricky Lambert. No pace but a top goalscorer who earned England caps.....

1 hour ago, hertsexile said:

Thought he had a good game and was involved in patersons goal. Chased every lost course. Wolves defenders were rushed when he was on the park.when he went off wolves had more time on the ball. So felt he put in a good shift 

1 hour ago, B block said:

He won the ball back for our third whilst everyone else had accepted wolves had it back. When he went off we withdrew 30 feet back and invited the pressure, although that might be our head coaches tactical genius at work 

These two posts sum it up for me. 

I thought he worked hard and kept the pressure on Wolves' back line. No coincidence that we looked under much more pressure ourselves when Taylor went off and we weren't putting pressure on Wolves from the front.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He's a goal poacher and whilst pace helps it's not as crucial as movement and being in the right place at the right time.

Compare Taylor to Ricky Lambert. No pace but a top goalscorer who earned England caps.....

Sad to say it but, Lambert had power, strength, was good in the air, had a strong accurate shot and took good free kicks and penalties, given a bit of pace and he'd have been brilliant. Unfortunately, we have yet to see anything other than movement off the ball from Taylor. For a poacher, he's missed a lot of chances to poach a goal or two.

I thought he had a good game Saturday.

Its a big step up from the third tier but he's learning.

He did a lot runs and work without the ball and the ovation he got when substituted was telling. 

I still think he's carrying an injury and will definately benefit from a good preseason & working with better players and coaches.

He needs to improve his first touch, you can get away with it in the lower leagues but will quickly get found out at this level.

I am expecting a big improvement next season.

Its funny how £10M in reality is only £300k.

4 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

He is not good enough at this level, lots of movement but end product and timing is not championship standard

What do you base that comment on?

He's made a huge step up in standard and has hardly started or played 90mins in a City shirt yet you claim he's not good enough................:facepalm:

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

He certainly hasn't shown championship quality.

I'm thinking that Matty, like a few others need a lot more playing time to truly settle into a game plan (if LJ has one) because selection has been such a dogs breakfast. I think he definately gives us something, like others have said by creating space for Tammy, the jury is still out for me but am quietly confident he will prove effective.:fingerscrossed:

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What do you base that comment on?

He's made a huge step up in standard and has hardly started or played 90mins in a City shirt yet you claim he's not good enough................:facepalm:

Instinct. Experience. And many many years of watching football. Pathetic face pat from you btw. It's an opinion. We'll all see. But I'm sure he wont quite make it at level 2. Great level 3 player. City have had many players over the years who are great players at the level below. 

Only really seen him in new the derby game. I thought his know movement  then was I need another  level, he had their defense all out of shape and all over the place. I would imagine if that's how he always plays most of the time he'd be great to play up top with even if he never touched the ball. 

8 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

Instinct. Experience. And many many years of watching football. Pathetic face pat from you btw. It's an opinion. We'll all see. But I'm sure he wont quite make it at level 2. Great level 3 player. City have had many players over the years who are great players at the level below. 

8 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

Face palm represents my view on what I consider to be a very poor judgement on a player we've seen very little of thus far.

You call it instinct, I call it premature.......

Archived