IGNORED

Matt Taylor

Bristol Rob

I've not seen enough of Taylor yet to comment in depth on him but the fact seems to be we won on Saturday with him in the team. And, whilst he is a very different player, what I've heard from him sounds like he might sound like he could help resolve one particular problem this season which is this:

Believe it or not, I think we've really missed Agard this season.

I know that sounds a bit ridiculous because Agard didn't "do much" but what he did do was spend 90 minutes running off the ball, distracting defenders and creating space for everyone else.  Without even touching the ball, he massively increased the goalscoring ability of the team and was a key part of our promotion and an important cameo player last season. I think there are several points this season (Forest away being the low point of the games I have made it to) where we've struggled to find space and create chances and I think a player who can put himself about and be a nuisance, even if less capable than other strikers, is something we desperately need. As I say, I've seen loads of Taylor but I do wonder if he could be that player...

There is a lot on here about life after Tanmy. I think its just possible that in Matty Taylor they already have a replacement. Unless the club are prepared to pay £10m they are unlikely to buy a player proven at this level so it'll be a young loanee or someone from a lower league. Well they already have the latter at a bargain price, and one with a very good track record. And he can take a penalty.

24 minutes ago, 1953 said:

There is a lot on here about life after Tanmy. I think its just possible that in Matty Taylor they already have a replacement. Unless the club are prepared to pay £10m they are unlikely to buy a player proven at this level so it'll be a young loanee or someone from a lower league. Well they already have the latter at a bargain price, and one with a very good track record. And he can take a penalty.

Indeed.

Taylor is a natural finisher as Tammy is and with a full pre season as a City player it's possible he could make the step up. Lets hope so.

Maybe signing Taylor was behind the fact that Tammy won't be with City next season.

Just watched the highlights, he gets an assist for the first goal and played a major part in the third by winning the ball back and passing it to Korey to make the cross. I think his movement off the ball is surprisingly good, I thought we were getting a "goal hanger" but he has more to his game than that. 

If not everything he does works, I would suggest the OP remembers that we are talking about someone who has had only two years of league experience in his career and has moved up three levels of football in as many years, that's one hell of a learning curve. 

Tailor had a poor game, he did play a nice 1-2 with Patterson for the first, but he seemed short on pace, gave up chasing down balls and had a lousy first touch. To be fair the strep up in level has hit a few, Luke Freeman, Mark Little and Bobby Reid all struggled in their first season up, in Freeman's case it took a year and a bit, it would appear that Hollowhead chose wisely. Not convinced Matty T is the real deal, but willing to give him time to adjust and get his confidence. Let's see how he does next season!

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

Indeed.

Taylor is a natural finisher as Tammy is and with a full pre season as a City player it's possible he could make the step up. Lets hope so.

Maybe signing Taylor was behind the fact that Tammy won't be with City next season.

Let's be fair he's missed a couple of sitter for us - so not a natural finisher, though he obviously has goals in him.

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Just watched the highlights, he gets an assist for the first goal and played a major part in the third by winning the ball back and passing it to Korey to make the cross. I think his movement off the ball is surprisingly good, I thought we were getting a "goal hanger" but he has more to his game than that. 

If not everything he does works, I would suggest the OP remembers that we are talking about someone who has had only two years of league experience in his career and has moved up three levels of football in as many years, that's one hell of a learning curve. 

Paterson really made that goal himself, yeah Taylor passed to him but it was just a pass and not something that created a goal scoring op for Paterson. It was actually nice to see Paterson create that space and shoot - so few of our players take those chances and shoot outside the box, it's really sad to see at times.

29 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Let's be fair he's missed a couple of sitter for us - so not a natural finisher, though he obviously has goals in him.

Paterson really made that goal himself, yeah Taylor passed to him but it was just a pass and not something that created a goal scoring op for Paterson. It was actually nice to see Paterson create that space and shoot - so few of our players take those chances and shoot outside the box, it's really sad to see at times.

Taylor passed it to Paterson who scored  .

Paterson wouldn't have scored without the ball so logically Taylor has an assist , No ? 

Also  it could be argued that Taylor made the space for Pato as the  defender tracked his run .

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Taylor passed it up Paterson who scored  .

Paterson wouldn't have scored without the ball so logically Taylor has an assist , No ? 

Also  it could be argued that Taylor made the space for Pato as the  defender tracked his run .

As I said it was a assists in that he was the last person to pass the ball to him, but

Paterson really made that goal himself

ScreenShot_20170411143339.png

6 minutes ago, Fiale said:

As I said it was a assists in that he was the last person to pass the ball to him, but

What we can see here is red shirts ahead of the ball, and in the box, as Paterson shoots. Very attacking. Remember, Johnson has been criticised for slow and quite turgid football at home - one up front, and two defensive midfielders - so here is some evidence of intent and being on the front foot.

We are a bit open and vulnerable to counter there, but many have said they would at least like us to go down fighting. I thought we had Wolves at, at least, fives and sixes - if not quite sixes and sevens - in their box more than once Saturday. They were scrambling the ball away a few times, and under pressure. Good stuff.

Maybe the plan was - with Costa missing - to go at them, and try and make things happen? Bodies in the box helps to create a bit of fluster in the opponent's defence.

1 minute ago, Fiale said:

We're going round in circles here .

What is the definition of an ' assist' ? 

Keeper rolls ball out to Ivan Sproule who runs the full length of the pitch and scores , does the keeper get the assist ? 

If he had have given to another player , Sproule doesn't score so it's the Keeper's initiative that set up a sublime individual goal , isn't it ? 

Logically , taking nothing away from Pato's brilliance, Taylor passed to him and moved the defence away as they tracked him so it is an ' assist ' .

O'Neil shoots from 25 yards out , hits Pack on the arse and deflects to Tammy on the line who tucks it away ( an arsist ).

On 09/04/2017 at 23:31, Robbored said:

What do you base that comment on?

He's made a huge step up in standard and has hardly started or played 90mins in a City shirt yet you claim he's not good enough................:facepalm:

Agreed. Plus he's playing for LJ who's track record in making decent players look shit is growing. 

On 10/04/2017 at 07:00, CyderInACan said:

It sounds to me that all this making runs, putting in a shift, dragging defenders away etc you could be describing Kieron Agard who I thought was poor and was glad when we shifted him off to MK. However our squad gets re-shaped in the summer (the fabled 3rd window) will be interesting, whatever division we're in, and what sort of place in the squad he gets. If he could become a 10 goal championship striker alongside and creating room for a 25 goal striker (á la Tammy) that's great. 

But Matty Taylor hasn't shown an ability to shin, scuff and generally mis-hit his shots though. Until then, comparisons with Kaggsy are premature. 

On 10/04/2017 at 07:00, CyderInACan said:

It sounds to me that all this making runs, putting in a shift, dragging defenders away etc you could be describing Kieron Agard who I thought was poor and was glad when we shifted him off to MK. However our squad gets re-shaped in the summer (the fabled 3rd window) will be interesting, whatever division we're in, and what sort of place in the squad he gets. If he could become a 10 goal championship striker alongside and creating room for a 25 goal striker (á la Tammy) that's great. 

But Matty Taylor hasn't shown an ability to shin, scuff and generally mis-hit his shots though. Until then, comparisons with Kaggsy are premature.

Let's get it right, Matty Taylor was primarily signed to spite R*vers.

I'm in the middle camp re Steve L but everything was notched up a level in my estimation due to the purchase of their best player. In that manner.  For that price. 

"Steve Lansdown doesn't identify with the fans".   Ha Ha Ha !!  I doth my cap to Steve Lansdown for that act alone.  

Whatever else is said, that's spot on and funny as xxxx. 

12 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

Don't recall his open goal miss at Derby or the horrendous one at Brentford, then?

Have to disagree. I thought he played very well in a role just behind Tammy. Yes he's slow but I was surprised by his strength in holding up the ball with his back to goal and he played plenty of neat triangles creating space for Tammy. Had a hand in both goals from open play too.

I want Matty Taylor to do well just to piss of the gasheads ('for every 20 he scores, he misses 40' :facepalm:)

Please, just give me a little me time, so that I can look a little smug.

He's busy and his movements good , but I've been surprised at his pace . For someone who looks like he plays on the shoulder he doesn't seem to have any. Bit harsh maybe but the one thing we really lack is some genuine pace. I said before , to see if he can step up he needs games. So if I were him , I'd start praying to the patron saint of Tombolas. In my eyes though, he won't score enough in the Championship.

18 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

He's busy and his movements good , but I've been surprised at his pace . For someone who looks like he plays on the shoulder he doesn't seem to have any. Bit harsh maybe but the one thing we really lack is some genuine pace. I said before , to see if he can step up he needs games. So if I were him , I'd start praying to the patron saint of Tombolas. In my eyes though, he won't score enough in the Championship.

As long as he scores a winning goal, I'll be happy.

Just now, bpexile said:

As long as he scores a winning goal, I'll be happy.

You and me both, and I would love that goal to be the one that guarantees our place in the Championship for next year. Just to wind the squatters up a little :cool:

Archived