IGNORED

SL on talksport at 1215 today....

'Orns

He was careful not to talk about City getting to Prem until pushed on it. When pushed he said he did want it to happen. But wouldn't 'chase the dream' with reckless spending etc. Also alluded to fan power, expressing opinions forcefully etc. Get the sense he might be a little wounded by the dark days of this season. Luck or otherwise he's entitled to credit for his decision to stick. All in all spoke well. 

2 minutes ago, The Chaplain said:

He sounds like someone I'd like to work for, in the fickle world of football, that must count for a lot in the long term

It's a good point. Whatever our views on LJ and whether he should've gone or not you cannot doubt that SL has a track record of sticking by his man and that will undoubtedly help attract managers in the future.  

6 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I have this very strange feeling he might.

You have the same strange feeling with Dolly though:shocking:

Usual pr speak in my opinion.  Said nothing he hasn't said a hundred times before.  Poor interviewing : no reference to BS, no questioning on poor Rugby season after a lot of money spent, no questioning on wider use of Ashton Gate as a stadium, no challenge on why he failed to stand by SC,GJ etc., no challenge on keeping it all in the family JL, LJ and other 'friends', no challenge on why Head Scout left mid season, and SL's odd reference to living in Bristol (he left to avoid paying British taxes surely).  Wish he could be interviewed by someone like Paxo, but then of course he wouldn't agree to an interview.  Poor substitution to facing us fans prior to Brighton game

Seem to get a lot of respect from JW and TC . Couple of good comments on twitter about him . From fans of other teams. Outsiders looking in seem to be very envious of our owner. But I would say a majority of city fans take him for granted . It's been a stressful season for everyone and it's time to move on IMO . We are lucky to have him . Look at Leyton orient for example. 

Just now, Ivorguy said:

Usual pr speak in my opinion.  Said nothing he hasn't said a hundred times before.  Poor interviewing : no reference to BS, no questioning on poor Rugby season after a lot of money spent, no questioning on wider use of Ashton Gate as a stadium, no challenge on why he failed to stand by SC,GJ etc., no challenge on keeping it all in the family JL, LJ and other 'friends', no challenge on why Head Scout left mid season, and SL's odd reference to living in Bristol (he left to avoid paying British taxes surely).  Wish he could be interviewed by someone like Paxo, but then of course he wouldn't agree to an interview.  Poor substitution to facing us fans prior to Brighton game

GT did a much better job.

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Seem to get a lot of respect from JW and TC . Couple of good comments on twitter about him . From fans of other teams. Outsiders looking in seem to be very envious of our owner. But I would say a majority of city fans take him for granted . It's been a stressful season for everyone and it's time to move on IMO . We are lucky to have him . Look at Leyton orient for example. 

it's quite easy as an outsider looking in though isn't it?  All this about not chopping and changing managers etc etc sounds great, but this is the first time he's done it and I think he's backed the wrong horse.  Not convinced by the 'excellent' summer recruitment comments either (I was excited at the time but it's looking more like an expensive debacle as time goes on).  

All sounded great though didn't it? I'd have bought it if I supported another team and that interview was all I knew about BCFC.

I think that SL should be praised for his indecision .

He was completely lost and had an immense stroke of luck that things fell in to place whilst he floundered . 

I like SL and am glad for him and us but make no mistake he has been very lucky as he gambled with the club's status .

Firstly , in employing a rookie coach at this level , then not bringing in an experienced coach to help or replace him when all could see that LJ hadn't got a clue  what he was doing .

I hope lessons have been learnt and that we can forget about this hugely disappointing season as we build for the next .

9 minutes ago, RumRed said:

it's quite easy as an outsider looking in though isn't it?  All this about not chopping and changing managers etc etc sounds great, but this is the first time he's done it and I think he's backed the wrong horse.  Not convinced by the 'excellent' summer recruitment comments either (I was excited at the time but it's looking more like an expensive debacle as time goes on).  

All sounded great though didn't it? I'd have bought it if I supported another team and that interview was all I knew about BCFC.

Agree on the manager. But I thought it was a decent transfer window. We got some good young players relatively cheap. Who in a couple of seasons time could be worth a lot more. Brownhill COD Magners. All have a lot of potential. I agree with you on the mistakes he has made no doubt. SL has pissed me off this season more so than ever. But he stuck to his guns . Rightly or wrongly. But I would rather have an owner like SL . Than some foreigner who doesn't give a shit about the club . 

38 minutes ago, lenred said:

IL has a track record of sticking by his man and that will undoubtedly help attract managers in the future.  

That's not true though is it.

Before (Lee) Johnson, SL has sacked every single manager as soon as results have gone badly.

52 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not really.

With the position we were in, and the awful results, it was an incredibly risky gamble to take with City's Championship status.

The upturn since PNE has been astonishing, near miraculous, and could not have been foreseen by anyone, and that includes SL.

What if there hadn't been the phenomenal run of results to pull City clear?

Would he have shown the same obstinacy and taken the same gamble on any other City manager not called Lee Johnson?

How could he possibly have explained his decision to stick with LJ today if City had been relegated, because the faith he will no doubt say he had in LJ was shared by almost no one, and but for Fielding's early save against Wolves things could so easily have gone the other way.

Stay or sack; either decision would have been a gamble.  We don't even know who was willing to come here to replace LJ.  What if a new man had come in and hadn't had the same phemonenal run of results to pull City clear?  Our form has been so good recently, it's entirely possible that another coach would have come in, done worse than LJ has over the last 15 games, and we'd have been relegated.

I am not pretending that I didn't want LJ sacked; I did.  But let's not pretend that a nameless alternative would have guaranteed our survival.  We have seen our relegation rivals make a managerial change and go down anyway, or at least still be under threat.

SL always does well on radio (though not a natural) and gets all the credit he deserves for facing fans and media whether times are tough or going well.Many owners wouldn't even if they could speak English.

Whatever he said wouldn't satisfy Merrickmarvel nor Ivor but the good news is no one on this planet cares what they say. Around 20,000 people care SL continues to do a great job for BCFC

Just now, Hampshire Red said:

SL always does well on radio (though not a natural) and gets all the credit he deserves for facing fans and media whether times are tough or going well.Many owners wouldn't even if they could speak English.

Whatever he said wouldn't satisfy Merrickmarvel nor Ivor but the good news is no one on this planet cares what they say. Around 20,000 people care SL continues to do a great job for BCFC

Words are cheap, and forgettable.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

No but this one appears to have come with a 100% bullet proof guarantee against dismissal no matter how incompetent you are.

Depends what you class as incompetent though - if the season finished today we would be 17th - would you say that is incompetent considering what we as a club are up against with the abundance of ex-prem teams and their bigger budgets for wages?

I'd say that it has been a reasonable season, disappointing in some ways considering the start we had and the obviously hugely desperate run that we were on after some promising activity in the transfer market, but another season where we have consolidated our position in this tough league that will hopefully stand us in better stead for next season.

I think SL has done well to stick with LJ despite a huge clamour for him to get rid and our head coach, and let's not forget that is his role first and foremost, should as an inexperienced coach, learn from this and improve next year.  The players seem in the most to respond to him and barring a few low performances has done ok in that sense.

29 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Words are cheap, and forgettable.

Did you actually listen to what SL had so say? 

He reiterated what he'd said in the local media. You know.....having a strategy and long term plan? and that the management structure was apart of said plan.

Yet to you it's cheap talk and forgettable............:facepalm:

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Is anyone actually under the illusion that Tammy is coming back here next season? 

If Chelsea want to loan him out again then we will be in with a chance,

all be it a small one but a chance never the less

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Did you actually listen to what SL had so say? 

He reiterated what he'd said in the local media. You know.....having a strategy and long term plan? and that the management structure was apart of said plan.

Yet to you it's cheap talk and forgettable............:facepalm:

I listened thanks, same stuff we've heard since pre SOD.

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

I listened thanks, same stuff we've heard since pre SOD.

And what does that tell you?

It tells me that being City fans we've heard it before in the local media and that Talk Sport is a national platform......and also SLs message is a consistent message........but still cheap words and easily forgettable according to you.........:facepalm:

Archived