IGNORED

SL on talksport at 1215 today....

'Orns

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not really.

With the position we were in, and the awful results, it was an incredibly risky gamble to take with City's Championship status.

The upturn since PNE has been astonishing, near miraculous, and could not have been foreseen by anyone, and that includes SL.

Not really. We were unbeaten the whole of the previous month. Not having a go at you specifically Nogbad, but this just happens to be the latest In a long line of posts I've read this weekend that focus on Preston. It just seems to epitomise the 'glass half empty' negativity. We've gone all of March unbeaten. In April we've won 4 and drawn 1 of 7, lost to Brentford, who are beating everyone, and yet all I hear is Preston!

And sticking with LJ can have been no more risky than bringing in a new man.

Most decisions in football are a bit of a gamble, this one has proved the right one. Well done to SL for calling it.

Just now, Robbored said:

And what does that tell you?

It tells me that being City fans we've heard it before in the local media and that Talk Sport is a national platform......and also SLs message is a consistent message........but still cheap words and easily forgettable according to you.........:facepalm:

The message is consistent, how about the actions? Apart from finally sticking with a manager what else has happened that has been said?

I don't get why anyone should be anti SL, sure he's made some decisions I disagree with particularly sticking with LJ but in a the bigger picture I am very thankful for him, can anyone actually come up with a better scenario than what we have now than our owner? You only have to look across the Avon to our North Bristol friends and across the Severn into South Wales to see how bad things can really be 

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

That's not true though is it.

Before (Lee) Johnson, SL has sacked every single manager as soon as results have gone badly.

Now now, Nick. You know that's not true. SL gave SO'D plenty long enough, and he gave Cotts longer than he wanted to (because LJ was in the thick of 9 defeats in 10 in Oct/Nov 2015 and he had to wait until he came out of that losing run and started winning a few games before he could bring him here, because otherwise people would've struggled to understand wtf Steve was doing, I mean, why Steve was employing a novice getting dog's abuse from his fans, struggling at the foot of the division below, and in the thick of a dreadful losing run, and this forum would've gone into meltdown, with fans smelling a rat/ questioning SL's ability to ever get on top of this recruiting a head coach lark) so it is not accurate to say what you said there.

Quick summary, mostly paraphrasing:

"We put in place a formula, a recruitment plan of developing players and the management team itself in place two years ago and the last thing we wanted to do was stray away from that and now I'm sitting here with a big smile on my face because it's worked"

SL admitted new contract for LJ / incentivizing people at the club "backfired at the time". "Not the kind of person to change my mind after 6 months just because things aren't going well"

"I've known Lee an awful long time and I know the person and know what he's trying to achieve" "Have belief in him etc"

"There are no real secrets in football, it's so open due to media, agents or through supporters who know somebody the truth always gets out there somehow" Interesting!

"If you keep changing manager you have to put new building blocks in all the time" references Fergie and Wenger.

"I think we had a very good transfer window last summer and felt confident right formula was in place"

"Whether it's me or somebody else I want to see Bristol City in the Premier League but won't jeorpardise club, has got to be sustainable"

"Made decision a few years ago (when SOD appointed) that I wasn't going to go down route of throwing money at it to chase the dream and would instead build the club"

22 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Quick summary, mostly paraphrasing:

"We put in place a formula, a recruitment plan of developing players and the management team itself in place two years ago and the last thing we wanted to do was stray away from that and now I'm sitting here with a big smile on my face because it's worked"

SL admitted new contract for LJ / incentivizing people at the club "backfired at the time". "Not the kind of person to change my mind after 6 months just because things aren't going well"

"I've known Lee an awful long time and I know the person and know what he's trying to achieve" "Have belief in him etc"

"There are no real secrets in football, it's so open due to media, agents or through supporters who know somebody the truth always gets out there somehow" Interesting! ****???????*******

"If you keep changing manager you have to put new building blocks in all the time" references Fergie and Wenger.

"I think we had a very good transfer window last summer and felt confident right formula was in place"

"Whether it's me or somebody else I want to see Bristol City in the Premier League but won't jeorpardise club, has got to be sustainable"

"Made decision a few years ago (when SOD appointed) that I wasn't going to go down route of throwing money at it to chase the dream and would instead build the club"

******??????********

Interesting? That is the polar opposite of what he said to 20man on the day of the Wolves game, when he insisted supporters cannot make an "informed decision" about Bristol City because, unlike him, we do not know what happens "inside" the club.

So, which is it?

We were onto something this season (Tomlin disruptive?) or we are clueless?

8 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

******??????********

Interesting? That is the polar opposite of what he said to 20man on the day of the Wolves game, when he insisted supporters cannot make an "informed decision" about Bristol City because, unlike him, we do not know what happens "inside" the club.

So, which is it?

I know which one my money is on. Take the context of when he implied the fans don't have a scooby ie massively under pressure and on the defensive versus today ie sun is shining in Guernsey, City have survived and Steve has a big smile on his face. Today he sounded more at ease and his interview wasn't full of contradictions and was basically easy-going. No GT peppering him with awkward questions and astute observations.

10 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

******??????********

So, which is it?

None of us know what goes on inside the club so we are not well informed are we? 

SL leaves the actual football side of the club to the managerial structure and curently LJ s the main man. How he goes about his job is of little interest to SL so rumours about Tomlin being disruptive is not an issue for SL. 

Just now, Robbored said:

None of us know what goes on inside the club so we are not well informed are we? 

SL leaves the actual football side of the club to the managerial structure and curently LJ s the main man. How he goes about his job is of little interest to SL so rumours about Tomlin being disruptive is not an issue for SL. 

Oh that is just fundamentally bollocks.

sorry RR.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Fair enough...................:facepalm:

Do you seriously think that LJ has full control and SL leaves the football side alone?  Didn't even SL say they had post match debriefings this season?

It 'seems' to be that SL is very 'hands on' and that's where some of us see the issue.

David James?  Cotts transfer window etc etc etc

14 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Do you seriously think that LJ has full control and SL leaves the football side alone?  Didn't even SL say they had post match debriefings this season?

It 'seems' to be that SL is very 'hands on' and that's where some of us see the issue.

Perhaps SL has learned his lesson with that one. (Hope so anyway):grr:

7 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Clearly you don't grasp how it works do you? I'll explain.....

SL employs MA to run the club on a day to day basis and employs LJ to run the football. That said, no major decisions are made without SLs approval.

If LJ wants to sign a player he's goes through MA and then SL. They may all meet up together to discuss such things for all we know.

For SL to say to LJ that he'd heard Tomlin is disruptive is simply ludicrous. That is LJs area of expertise and SL allows him to get on with it. Quite right to. 

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

Now now, Nick. You know that's not true. SL gave SO'D plenty long enough, and he gave Cotts longer than he wanted to (because LJ was in the thick of 9 defeats in 10 in Oct/Nov 2015 and he had to wait until he came out of that losing run and started winning a few games before he could bring him here, because otherwise people would've struggled to understand wtf Steve was doing, I mean, why Steve was employing a novice getting dog's abuse from his fans, struggling at the foot of the division below, and in the thick of a dreadful losing run, and this forum would've gone into meltdown, with fans smelling a rat/ questioning SL's ability to ever get on top of this recruiting a head coach lark) so it is not accurate to say what you said there.

It's the same negative 10 posters over and over again, constant negativity. But no agendas on this forum, mind you!

Sorry LJ doing so well recently has clearly upset you and others so much. No credit for the run, it's obviously that he's fortunate because Frankie made some saves at the start of the game against Wolves! Hahaha unreal. That's why we've won 6 of our last 10, of course. Keepers never make saves in football, you know. Sorry you and others continually opt to focus on the negatives and won't let a bad run of form which we've recovered from go, always just to suit your argument. LJ won 8 of his last 9 games before he was appointed our manager but just 'winning a few games', eh? Nothing like understating the positives whilst over-exaggerating everything negative. Such a rare occurrence on this forum. I'm sure there was some massive conspiracy where SL was waiting for the perfect moment to replace SC with LJ in your deluded world.

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

According to SL, today, we are, "there are no real secrets in football" due to the media and people knowing people in football "the truth always gets out there somehow." That's SL's opinion (this week). So, I am inclined to say you are wrong there, old chap (if SL is to be believed. Not me).

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Clearly you don't grasp how it works do you? I'll explain.....

SL employs MA to run the club on a day to day basis and employs LJ to run the football. That said, no major decisions are made without SLs approval.

If LJ wants to sign a player he's goes through MA and then SL. They may all meet up together to discuss such things for all we know.

For SL to say to LJ that he'd heard Tomlin is disruptive is simply ludicrous. That is LJs area of expertise and SL allows him to get on with it. Quite right to. 

I think we maybe talking at cross purposes.

I do understand the structure that SL is setting up, it's how it should be done; however it 'appears' he isn't letting his staff make the decisions.

Just now, JHAGa said:

It's the same 10 posters over and over again. But no agendas on this forum, mind you!

Sorry LJ doing so well recently has clearly upset you and others so much. No credit for the run, it's obviously that he's fortunate because Frankie made some saves at the start of the game against Wolves! Keepers never make saves in football, you know. Sorry you and others continually opt to focus on the negatives and won't let a bad run of form which we've recovered from go, always just to suit your argument. LJ won 8 of his last 9 games before he was appointed our manager but just 'winning a few games', eh? Nothing like understating the positives whilst over-exaggerating everything negative. Such a rare occurrence on this forum. I'm sure there was some massive conspiracy where SL was waiting for the perfect moment to replace SC with LJ in your deluded world.

Now now jHag, just because I caught you out on one or two inaccuracies of yours, and your misunderstanding of who "let" Kodj go. Let's not fall out over that.

I have praised LJ, but you don't read every post I post so you wouldn't know that. What "upsets me" is Bristol City being sh1te, which we were for too long this season. That we stayed up, I am absolutely delighted. And looking forward to Sunday.

So, well done Lee Johnson for keeping us in the Championship over 46 games! 

Well done Lee, you kept us up in the end! Ok? Don't forget, I have praised, as well as criticised.

Oh, and we are all "deluded" bud. Fact! That's something - along with wanting City to do well - that we both have in common. We all have in common, on here, and at AG.

3 hours ago, RumRed said:

it's quite easy as an outsider looking in though isn't it?  All this about not chopping and changing managers etc etc sounds great, but this is the first time he's done it and I think he's backed the wrong horse.  Not convinced by the 'excellent' summer recruitment comments either (I was excited at the time but it's looking more like an expensive debacle as time goes on).  

All sounded great though didn't it? I'd have bought it if I supported another team and that interview was all I knew about BCFC.

and you know everything about BCFC!!

Archived