IGNORED

Scottish football (Merged)

Robbored

11 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Slightly off topic but why does Robbored get so much shit off of everyone? His posts aren't that different from many i see on here? 

Or is it just Banta?

I often wonder the same. I find the continual goading from other posters a tad tedious

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

It's  just banter............sometimes.......

The shite I get stems back to when GJ was manager and I would regularly slag him and his style of football off.

That criticism upset loads of his disciples who saw him as the greatest thing since sliced bread............:crying:

you can get bread sliced these days ?

I've just looked at the qualifiers for the Champions League and Europa League next season.

Ulster - 12 teams in their Premiership, bottom 2 relegated, top team into Champions league, the next five in the Europa League.

Wales - 12 teams in their Premiership bottom 2 relegated, top team into Champions league, the next six in the Europa League.

Scotland -  bottom 1 relegated, next team up into a playoff with a Championship team. Top team into Champions league, the next three in the Europa League.

NI & Wales each have more clubs in Europe next season than Holland or Italy. 

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aberdeen-heading-europa-league-qualifying-10291076

Scotland have slumped to 25th in the UEFA Rankings and all three Europa League qualifiers were due to play in the first qualifying round, alongside the dregs of European minnows. It's a huge comedown for Scotland as eight years ago, they were ranked 10th and had six teams in Europe with Rangers directly qualifying for the Champions League group phase.

15 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

5. Some of the people who slag off scottish football  have never bothered to tune in. Next season watch a Glasgow, Edinburgh or Dundee (if they are drawn in the Cup) Derby and I trust you will get entertainment (as long as you enjoy traditional British fare of tough tackles, direct play and full bloodied commitment as opposed to tip tap, roll over every time you are touched European footy).

On this point, I got some stick from some mates for watching the Hamilton vs Dundee Utd relegation play off games recently. The football wasn't the best, but neither has much of the fare from the Championship over the last couple of years that I've seen (live and tv), but Jesus, that was two committed teams, playing their hearts out for their teams. Full blooded challenges, not too much rolling around, and the tie was won with a great goal from a local lad who has been at the club since he was 8 (or something similar)

Really enjoyed it, cracking atmospheres at both games too, considering there was less than 20,000 (I would think?) at both games. Certainly better than at Wembley on Monday

14 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I think a lot of people go with the 'its shite' argument because they think if everyone is saying it, it must be true . I shall be calling for a banning order on this thread against anyone who has never travelled north of Hadrians Wall for a game (Which should sort out all the ***** who support Berwick because they're English :)

Jesus, come on here and call me a**** for supporting City, but leave the Mighty Berwick Rangers out of this one. Gas **** :ph34r:

18 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Slightly off topic but why does Robbored get so much shit off of everyone? His posts aren't that different from many i see on here? 

Or is it just Banta?

Drove a van load of Gas Heads to Wembley for the final. But how he wants to spend his weekends with the Blue half of Bristol is up to him I guess.

8 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Drove a van load of Gas Heads to Wembley for the final. But how he wants to spend his weekends with the Blue half of Bristol is up to him I guess.

Sadly one of my best mates - a gasheads passed away almost a year ago. It was he and two of his sons that asked me to drive them to Wembley. They all wanted to go on the piss during their day out and paid for my ticket and the hire and fuel of the mini bus.

The redevelopment of Wembley had only just been completed and it seemed a cheap way to see it so I was happy to help out a good friend.

3 hours ago, SARJ said:

How many of us on here don't have friends or family who are Gasheads ?

My guess is very few.

On 31 May 2017 at 12:58, Woodsy said:

On this point, I got some stick from some mates for watching the Hamilton vs Dundee Utd relegation play off games recently. The football wasn't the best, but neither has much of the fare from the Championship over the last couple of years that I've seen (live and tv), but Jesus, that was two committed teams, playing their hearts out for their teams. Full blooded challenges, not too much rolling around, and the tie was won with a great goal from a local lad who has been at the club since he was 8 (or something similar)

Really enjoyed it, cracking atmospheres at both games too, considering there was less than 20,000 (I would think?) at both games. Certainly better than at Wembley on Monday

Jesus, come on here and call me a**** for supporting City, but leave the Mighty Berwick Rangers out of this one. Gas **** :ph34r:

You are right about the crowds, 10,000 at Tannadice for the first leg and 6,000 at Hamilton for the second leg. At Hamilton, United had more supporters than the home team. Hamilton have a really small support and have done amazingly well to preserve top flight status for 4 seasons consecutively for the first time ever.

On 31 May 2017 at 08:37, Robbored said:

I'm talking about the standard in Scottish football being pretty shite, not the population.........

Surely you understand that small population = smaller crowds and smaller tv deal. This in turns means the clubs can't buy or even hold onto their highest quality players. 

52 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Not silly enough Robbo . I'm working on a top ten footballing farts but haven't got past Holloway . 

:gasmask:

Dean Windyass surely?

On 5/30/2017 at 21:13, sglosbcfc said:

Slagging off Scottish football, OK as usual I'll bite -

1. Scotland is the best supported league in Europe. Despite having a tiny population they have Celtic and Rangers averaging 50,000 +, Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts averaging over 12,000 and Dundee and Dundee United averaging over 6,000. That is despite the fact that in the past 5 years all of the biggest teams in Scotland with the exception of Celtic and Aberdeen have spent time outside the top flight.

2. Teams in the fourth tier attract gates of 1,000 + for derbies and big matches, unheard of for similar size countries.

3. Again for such a small country the record of clubs in Europe is excellent. Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United have all reached semi finals or won major Europen cup competitions.

4. Tv money is tiny compared to the English game. This means that League two clubs can often pay better wages than SPL clubs. This is a problem facing smaller countries all over Europe.

5. Some of the people who slag off scottish football  have never bothered to tune in. Next season watch a Glasgow, Edinburgh or Dundee (if they are drawn in the Cup) Derby and I trust you will get entertainment (as long as you enjoy traditional British fare of tough tackles, direct play and full bloodied commitment as opposed to tip tap, roll over every time you are touched European footy).

6. Finally, Scotland like many smaller countries will go through cycles, in the past twenty years they have struggled to unearth great talents. But just like Wales have enjoyed glory in the past 2 years so will Scotland in the not too distant future.

p.s I'm not Scottish. 

Nicola Sturgeon has just been online asking how she contact sglosbcfc as she could well have a job for him/her.

On 5/30/2017 at 21:11, Kodjias Wrist said:

Slightly off topic but why does Robbored get so much shit off of everyone?

It's in his job description.

On 5/30/2017 at 16:45, Robbored said:

With the Scotland v England game coming up I get the same feeling about the Scottish game every time we play them -that its pretty shite and of poor quality.

Yet again Celitic with the league and both the cups. Sure the treble is unusual but for one club to dominate has to be a negative effect in their game. There's no serious competition with Rangers still recovering and only Aberdeen can mount any kind of challenge.

Celtic go into the Champions League and struggle and recently got stuffed 8-0 by Barca. 

Personaly I think the Scottish league is laughable but then I've always thought that.

I agree with you, the prospect of signing players from Scotland for decent money is frightening. 

We can all laugh at how Barcelona beat Celtic 8-0, but Arsenal got pumped by Bayern over two legs, so it's not a real indicator of success.

For me, Scottish football is on the decline because there is no money. I don't even think it's a cyclical problem any more when you've got teams like Real Madrid spending 40m euros on a teenager that has never played a professional game, and Arsenal happy to pay 100m euros to sign an eighteen year old with less than 50 games under his belt. Compare that with Celtic and it's actually incredible that they're still capable of playing in the group stages.

The Scottish League Cup first round is in a league format with several groups of four or five clubs playing one another. The draw as now been made of rthe first round of the 17-18 season's cup. The four teams playing in Europe are exempt until the quarter finals. This year for the group stage, East Kilbride (lowland league winners) and Buckie Thistle (Highland League winners) are included.

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Sorry Nic I'm a Labour man!

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Sorry Nic I'm a Labour man!

Sounds like Nic is happy to del with Labour people!!

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 21:13, sglosbcfc said:

Slagging off Scottish football, OK as usual I'll bite -

1. Scotland is the best supported league in Europe. Despite having a tiny population they have Celtic and Rangers averaging 50,000 +, Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts averaging over 12,000 and Dundee and Dundee United averaging over 6,000. That is despite the fact that in the past 5 years all of the biggest teams in Scotland with the exception of Celtic and Aberdeen have spent time outside the top flight.

2. Teams in the fourth tier attract gates of 1,000 + for derbies and big matches, unheard of for similar size countries.

3. Again for such a small country the record of clubs in Europe is excellent. Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United have all reached semi finals or won major Europen cup competitions.

4. Tv money is tiny compared to the English game. This means that League two clubs can often pay better wages than SPL clubs. This is a problem facing smaller countries all over Europe.

6. Finally, Scotland like many smaller countries will go through cycles, in the past twenty years they have struggled to unearth great talents. But just like Wales have enjoyed glory in the past 2 years so will Scotland in the not too distant future.

p.s I'm not Scottish. 

7. The SPL is Scottish. The Majority of its players are Scottish and the owners of its clubs are generally Scottish. In contrast English players in the "English" premier league are in the minority, and so are owners.

8. The SPL Rangers included carries less debt than many European Leagues. The EPL has more debt than anybody.

9. The representatives of this small country will not win a major tournament in the near future, neither will England.

10. The majority of its clubs will win jack, just like BCFC.  

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

7. The SPL is Scottish. The Majority of its players are Scottish and the owners of its clubs are generally Scottish. In contrast English players in the "English" premier league are in the minority, and so are owners.

8. The SPL Rangers included carries less debt than many European Leagues. The EPL has more debt than anybody.

9. The representatives of this small country will not win a major tournament in the near future, neither will England.

10. The majority of its clubs will win jack, just like BCFC.  

11. The standard is still shite.

On 2017-5-30 at 20:08, 22A said:

On 2017-5-30 at 20:08, 22A said:

t was innovative this season to permit some Welsh,Ulster and Irish Republic teams to enter the Scottish Challenge .

Hi 22A. Great name by the way.

It was an interesting post but Ulster is not a country!

Just in case you're not fully aware, Ulster is in fact the generic name for 9 counties within this island. It would be similar to the counties that make up Wessex. However the Wessex analogy has a major flaw as it is in one country. Ulster is spread over 2 countries! 6 of the Ulster counties are in Northern Ireland whilst 3 are south of the border. 

In an age when people will take offence at the slightest thing, using the word Ulster, however, can still suggest a political motivation unless in the right context.

When it comes to football it's not called the Ulster League but the Northern Ireland Football League. Yet the governing body is called the IFA (Irish Football League) but it only represents teams north of the border! It's all to do with the partition of Ireland. The name of IFA made complete sense prior to 1921. What happened next is another story. 

Sloppy journalism from the past has meant that Ulster has been the alternative name for Northern Ireland.

It's a word that is used every day in Northern Ireland for business, buildings, media etc but as soon as you put Ulster into a political party's name that's where you have the problem. All of a sudden the political party means it's unionist ie part of the UK.

And there you have it. A bluffer's guide to the word Ulster!  

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Robbo I think you forgot the words complete and utter

I think it comes down to what rocks your boat, I personally would prefer to watch Dundee v Dundee United going hammer and tongs with full bloodied challenges, end to end action etc than sit down and watch Barcelona score 6 against a hopelessly outclassed Spanish rival or watch two Italian Giants play out a goalless draw whilst passing one another to death. Of course the better players would be on the pitch in the Spanish or Italian game but that is not to say that people can't enjoy the Scottish matches.

33 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I think it comes down to what rocks your boat, I personally would prefer to watch Dundee v Dundee United going hammer and tongs with full bloodied challenges, end to end action etc than sit down and watch Barcelona score 6 against a hopelessly outclassed Spanish rival or watch two Italian Giants play out a goalless draw whilst passing one another to death. Of course the better players would be on the pitch in the Spanish or Italian game but that is not to say that people can't enjoy the Scottish matches.

What's the difference with watching Celtic batter some hopelessly outclassed Scottish rival ? Apart from Celtic most other Scottish clubs would be lucky to make it in our non league divisions. How boring is it the one club wins the league every year by 20 odd points. I'll predict it now that Celtic will win it again next year and I doubt too many on here would bet against it. Personally I would rather watch Weymouth against Dorchester going hammer and tongs than the crap served up north of the border.

4 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

And there you have it. A bluffer's guide to the word Ulster!  

Many thanks for that. Now, going off topic, can anyone explain why we refer to Holland as the Netherlands when the expression should also include Belgium? (Both being low lying countries). Then why are those who live there referred to as  Dutch?

Archived