IGNORED

Scottish football (Merged)

Robbored

Despite buying every Portuguese player that wasn't nailed down this summer they go one better than Celtic last year and not only lose but go out of Europe to part timers.

It is hard to defend Scottish football when twice in two years their biggest teams struggle or fail to bypass sides who can't even field full time professionals.

Celtic's domestic dominance just underlined how weak the general standard is in their leagues, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Rangers currently 2-0 down (2-1 agg) to a team from Luxembourg in the Europa League qualifiers with 12 minutes to go.

Just been sent a link to the Beeb match report by a Celtic supporting friend (I had no idea the game was on). Even by the stellar standards of the Scottish Pub League, this is fantastic.

38 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I hate to take sides in any argument between these two vile hate filled institutions but surely Celtics defeat to Lincoln Red Imps of Gibraltar was equally as bad if not worse?

Let's be fair about it, Celtic beat Lincoln Red Imps over the two legs and went onto reach the Champions League group stages and draw with Manchester City. A team that have ten times Celtic's budget. Rangers have actually been knocked out by part timers who finished fourth in their tiny league.

3 hours ago, Malago said:

Well they were losing to Alloa only a few years ago, so it's hardly surprising they can't beat the team that finished 4th in the Luxembourg league last season.

Yeah but when they are spunking crazy wages on players "better" than the alloa game a few years ago its bad. But hilarious.  Caixinha is a horrible man and has made far too many changes this summer and for a squad to gel in that time frame its always going to be bloody hard. 

City did a good thing eventually not going for waghorn. The amount of chances and one on ones he missed last season was unreal. Would have took wee barrie mckay though especially at 500k. 

3 hours ago, Malago said:

Wednesday 3rd Dec 2014, Scottish Challenge Cup Semi Final

Alloa Athletic 3 - Rangers 2

Sincere apologies, you are correct.

I should have made my post more clear. Rangers have never lost a league game, Scottish FA Cup tie or Scottish League Cup tie to Alloa in 12 meetings. Didn't think about the Challenge Cup. Thanks for putting me straight...

8 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Celtic qualified by winning the next leg.

Ah did they? Excuse me, I just remember the first leg result.

Anyway, I am nothing to do with this squabble. Both clubs and their hate filled throwback to the English Civil War fans would do football the world of good by disappearing off the face of the earth. :) 

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 07:05, Wanderingred said:

Ah did they? Excuse me, I just remember the first leg result.

Anyway, I am nothing to do with this squabble. Both clubs and their hate filled throwback to the English Civil War fans would do football the world of good by disappearing off the face of the earth. :) 

I can't speak for Rangers fans obviously, but I can promise you if you go to a Celtic match you will find packed pubs full of people talking about football and not politics.

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 22:55, Robbored said:

Why are most  posters are surprised? 

This result just reinforces  how shite the SPL is........

When Celtic beat English Premier teams does that show how shite English football is? When Sutton beat Leeds does that show how shite the Championship is?

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I can't speak for Rangers fans obviously, but I can promise you if you go to a Celtic match you will find packed pubs full of people talking about football and not politics.

Not true, I've been in pubs full of Celtic fans chanting pro-IRA songs and banging out anti-British songs and anti-British Army songs.....that's not football....

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 21:25, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not true, I've been in pubs full of Celtic fans chanting pro-IRA songs and banging out anti-British songs and anti-British Army songs.....that's not football....

I suspect I have been to a lot more Celtic matches than you.

17 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

But I didn't say that.

You said 'if you go to a Celtic match you will find pubs full of fans talking about football and not politics.'

In my experience that's not entirely true, on many occasions I've been in pubs full of Celtic fans chanting pro-IRA songs and other anti-British stuff non-stop - is that not political?

And you must be aware that UEFA fined Celtic NINE times in FIVE seasons for their fans' political behaviour:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-hit-8615-fine-uefa-8932341

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2523313/Celtic-fined-42-000-Green-Brigade-fans-political-banners-AC-Milan-clash.html

...and this doesn't sound like non-political football fans...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You said 'if you go to a Celtic match you will find pubs full of fans talking about football and not politics.'

In my experience that's not entirely true, on many occasions I've been in pubs full of Celtic fans chanting pro-IRA songs and other anti-British stuff non-stop - is that not political?

And you must be aware that UEFA fined Celtic NINE times in FIVE seasons for their fans' political behaviour:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-hit-8615-fine-uefa-8932341

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2523313/Celtic-fined-42-000-Green-Brigade-fans-political-banners-AC-Milan-clash.html

...and this doesn't sound like non-political football fans...

Well done, you found a clip on you tube. Unfortunately videos of people chatting in pubs dont tend to make it onto social media for obvious reasons. If you like I can go and find plenty of clips of City fans behaving like *****, or Rovers fans, or West Ham fans, or Derby fans ad infinitum.

Bs4 on tour seems like a nice enough guy, but I'm sure any discussion on Celtic leads him down this same route, he must have that video saved in his favourites. (Apologies if I'm getting you confused with someone else).

This discussion is so often difficult to have as you either get the absolute melons on each end of the spectrum that make any discourse impossible, or you get those that make a few reasonable points but are so obviously clouded in their bias that the conversation will always ultimately veer in the same direction. Their own experiences and memories will be twisted and misremembered and confused and regurgitated until it just so happens to match the opinion they had already formed long ago.

In all honesty, I have been to many Celtic games, and for a long period I attended every game they played in England, and I've been witness to both sides of the coin. Yes I've seen  and heard the IRA chanting, the political and ill-judged singing and conversation, the fans so drunk that they are nothing but a nuisance to the local population. I also know that year by year the number of those participating appears to decrease (well, maybe not the drunkenness!). I also know that 95% of all the Celtic fans I've encountered are there for nothing more than to go and passionately support the football club they love, like each one of you do every time you go to a City match. 

Potentially the most interesting observation I could make after years of going to these games, is that in actual fact I have witnessed just as much (probably more) abuse of a sectarian nature dished out towards Celtic players and fans than I've seen given in the other direction. I certainly feel like even the smallest mention of Celtic brings out the worst in some people who have a very extreme and ignorant viewpoint.

Both Rangers and Celtic are fantastically supported, massive clubs, with a small but vocal toxic element. Trying to distinguish one as good and one as bad does nothing but immediately show your ingrained bias.

59 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Bs4 on tour seems like a nice enough guy, but I'm sure any discussion on Celtic leads him down this same route, he must have that video saved in his favourites. (Apologies if I'm getting you confused with someone else).

This discussion is so often difficult to have as you either get the absolute melons on each end of the spectrum that make any discourse impossible, or you get those that make a few reasonable points but are so obviously clouded in their bias that the conversation will always ultimately veer in the same direction. Their own experiences and memories will be twisted and misremembered and confused and regurgitated until it just so happens to match the opinion they had already formed long ago.

In all honesty, I have been to many Celtic games, and for a long period I attended every game they played in England, and I've been witness to both sides of the coin. Yes I've seen  and heard the IRA chanting, the political and ill-judged singing and conversation, the fans so drunk that they are nothing but a nuisance to the local population. I also know that year by year the number of those participating appears to decrease (well, maybe not the drunkenness!). I also know that 95% of all the Celtic fans I've encountered are there for nothing more than to go and passionately support the football club they love, like each one of you do every time you go to a City match. 

Potentially the most interesting observation I could make after years of going to these games, is that in actual fact I have witnessed just as much (probably more) abuse of a sectarian nature dished out towards Celtic players and fans than I've seen given in the other direction. I certainly feel like even the smallest mention of Celtic brings out the worst in some people who have a very extreme and ignorant viewpoint.

Both Rangers and Celtic are fantastically supported, massive clubs, with a small but vocal toxic element. Trying to distinguish one as good and one as bad does nothing but immediately show your ingrained bias.

You have explained what I was trying to but far more eloquently. Thank you!

Archived