IGNORED

London Tower Block Fire

WhistleHappy

58 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Pretty much confirmed - Met Police Commander Stuart Cundy said: "It would be wrong and incredibly distressing to give a number [of the missing]".

I hope I'm wrong but I think it's going to be over 100

In an attempt to stop panic here in France ,the news reports that French buildings are ' compartmentalised ' to avoid the spread of smoke and fire in their high rise blocks .

They talk of separate stairwells.

They also noted that the firemen's ladders only reach up to 40 mètres , equivalent to a fourth floor and that the towers are designed to resist for two hours , giving enough time for the inhabitants to be evacuated.

My thoughts are with the victims of this disaster.

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

In an attempt to stop panic here in France ,the news reports that French buildings are ' compartmentalised ' to avoid the spread of smoke and fire in their high rise blocks .

They talk of separate stairwells.

They also noted that the firemen's ladders only reach up to 40 mètres , equivalent to a fourth floor and that the towers are designed to resist for two hours , giving enough time for the inhabitants to be evacuated.

My thoughts are with the victims of this disaster.

The advice people were given here was to stay put and block gaps under doors with wet towels, so I guess authorities believed these flats could resist for much longer than they did too.

Also I think I read people had not been seen since getting into a lift whilst trying to descend. I know it must have been a desperate situation but one of the most basic 'do not's' in the situation is to use the lifts.

8 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Pretty much confirmed - Met Police Commander Stuart Cundy said: "It would be wrong and incredibly distressing to give a number [of the missing]".

100 - 150 being rumoured on the ground. Awful if true.

Theresa May once again demonstrating today that she seems to have some sort of allergy to ordinary people. 

A £9.2 million pound re development of the tower block that didn't  include a sprinkler system that would cost £1,200 per flat. The same price that Sheffield council paid for all of their tower blocks undergoing the same re developments.

I can't imagine the millionaires who live in south Kensington not having a sprinkler system in their blocks?

Serious questions to be answered. 

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age it is possible to renovate an old tower block without it being a requirement to have an integrated fire alarm system, never mind a sprinkler system.

When we built an extension on our house we had to fit another wired smoke detector and we had to make them all interconnected.  But it isnt required in a tower block?   I wouldn't have believed that last week if you suggested it to be true.

The timing would only have been more appropriate if on election night itself.  

The debate should be knocked on the head regarding prioritising the deficit/balancing the economy over actual human life. 

It seems the locals are not going to be fobbed off, like they were with Hillsborough.  

These lives will not be lost in vein.

38 minutes ago, redsfan said:

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age it is possible to renovate an old tower block without it being a requirement to have an integrated fire alarm system, never mind a sprinkler system.

When we built an extension on our house we had to fit another wired smoke detector and we had to make them all interconnected.  But it isnt required in a tower block?   I wouldn't have believed that last week if you suggested it to be true.

Same as always mate, it's one rule for us common folk and another rule for the wealthy and big businesses.

52 minutes ago, bend it like brian said:

its heart breaking really to think that horizontal and vertical fire breaks (not even that expensive0 would have virtually contained this in the area it started ...so sad

Architect on radio five earlier said that actually building regs for towers like this were very strict back in 60-70s and that it was the original design that's the problem but more what's been done since - again going back to the cladding and insulation. 

39 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

There are even suggestions that the final death toll may never be known, as they simply don't know how many people were living in the block at the time so can't account for them all.

I think a rough death toll may well be known if a proper co-ordinated register of 'missing people' likely to have been in the facinity at the time is established.  

How hard can that be?

I caught a bit of the coverage on somebody elses TV (I do not have one) and it is most harrowing.  

It is a totally shameful indictment on our society.  Who needs terrorists!

May should resign now she is head of a heartless party who put money cuts and profit before people's life

its a national disgrace council leaders building management company managers should be facing lengthy prison sentences 

8 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

I think a rough death toll may well be known if a proper co-ordinated register of 'missing people' likely to have been in the facinity at the time is established.  

How hard can that be?

I caught a bit of the coverage on somebody elses TV (I do not have one) and it is most harrowing.  

It is a totally shameful indictment on our society.  Who needs terrorists!

I think they have a rough missing count.. they just don't want to publically state it. Which isn't good, at all :( 

12 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I think they have a rough missing count.. they just don't want to publically state it. Which isn't good, at all :( 

Fear of unrest if the figure is as big as people think it is.

There's a 'rally' in Westminster tonight. Worth keeping an eye on that one. This is already being labelled elsewhere as Theresa May's Hurricane Katrina.

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

May should resign now she is head of a heartless party who put money cuts and profit before people's life

its a national disgrace council leaders building management company managers should be facing lengthy prison sentences 

The lack of empathy she has shown to the people affected by this is truly heartless. Whoever is directing her from a PR petspective she needs to remove, but she should know from human instinct to reach out to the people affected and at least appear to give a shit. 

On a secondary matter did anyone see the interview with Mr Paget-Brown last night, shows all that is wrong with this party 

1 hour ago, daored said:

The lack of empathy she has shown to the people affected by this is truly heartless. Whoever is directing her from a PR petspective she needs to remove, but she should know from human instinct to reach out to the people affected and at least appear to give a shit. 

On a secondary matter did anyone see the interview with Mr Paget-Brown last night, shows all that is wrong with this party 

she's a tory most of them are heartless, thats why they are known as the nasty party, it's a shame as people like her give MP's an even worse name,

I loath David camoron, but he would of been down meeting people he was never scared of the public like this bitch (sorry @Dollymarie ) is

14 hours ago, bend it like brian said:

its heart breaking really to think that horizontal and vertical fire breaks (not even that expensive0 would have virtually contained this in the area it started ...so sad

Both of which are mandatory

If what is being reported is correct in that the rain screen cladding used was not fire retardant then the Contractor who undertook the refurb has much to answer for. The same goes for the Architect and Kensington Council Building Control.

2 hours ago, daored said:

She is what she is, a heartless bitch in a heartless party, she cant just grow decency and empathy

IMO the Contractor who undertook the refurb work (Rydon) should have all of their ongoing projects suspended pending a full investigation. Like wise all previous projects need to be checked as a matter of urgency.If it's happened once then it's likely to have happened elsewhere. If Mrs May wants to show she is serious then this is where she should start as it will soon expose all of the failings in the system. Somehow though I doubt she will.

Archived