IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think the schedules should prioritise getting a result from test matches rather than letting the weather win!

But the draw has been part of cricket for 150 years.

As i say, extending test cricket is absolutely the last thing those in charge are about to do.

Lets celebrate the fact we've still git 5 day cricket...... for now 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

Well lets not let the forecast get in the way of the fact we've just scored 592 in an Ashes match. Brilliant. 

There seems to be a number of traditionalists that want to see Bazball miserably fail so that we can go back to test cricket's halcyon days of watching 80 scoring shots in 90 overs and 186 runs scored in a day.............

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don’t accept “rain is a part of cricket”. It’s an inconvenience for cricket. But it’s likely this series is going to be decided by the weather, and that is enormously unsatisfactory for such a high profile sporting event when there’s no good reason why couldn’t add a spare day.

Imagine if Wimbledon ended in a draw in the final because they couldn’t finish it.

Ridiculous comparison as there is no precedent for that at Wimbledon. Whereas in cricket, even in one day tournaments, there can be a shared trophy if the final can’t be played. Rain has been part of cricket for many decades 

Edited by And Its Smith

Incredible total from us and ******* great to see Aussies ground into the dirt, but have we got enough time?

52 overs today - if we bowl our full overs and the weather plays ball - tomorrow looks a washout and Sunday is in the lap of the weather gods. 

I’d love it if Jimmy signs off with a five-for and a win in his last Ashes Test at his home ground. 

Edited by tin

23 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don’t accept “rain is a part of cricket”. It’s an inconvenience for cricket. But it’s likely this series is going to be decided by the weather, and that is enormously unsatisfactory for such a high profile sporting event when there’s no good reason why couldn’t add a spare day.

Imagine if Wimbledon ended in a draw in the final because they couldn’t finish it.

This series will be decided by some of the batting and the declaration we saw in the first and 2nd test. It’s England, it rains, a lot!!!

Edited by Rob k
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Draws are part of cricket tho. You can't draw a tennis match

16 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

But the draw has been part of cricket for 150 years.

As i say, extending test cricket is absolutely the last thing those in charge are about to do.

Lets celebrate the fact we've still git 5 day cricket...... for now 

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Ridiculous comparison as there is no precedent for that at Wimbledon. Whereas in cricket, even in one day tournaments, there can be a shared trophy if ten final can’t be played. Rain has been part of cricket for many decades 

I’m not arguing against draws though. Draws can be hard fought and fairly won. If you had a 6th reserve day, you could still get a draw. And that would be fine.

Draws are a part of football but if we were 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go and the rest of the game was rained off, would you be happy to accept a draw?

I want my sport to be decided by merit as far as possible, not luck. It’s likely this entire series will be determined by the weather in the next few days, my proposal would reduce the chance of that happening.

I would say a one day final should be played another day rather than shared!

Lots of things in sport have happened “for many decades” and then been changed for the better - pass back rule in football, DRS in cricket for example. That’s not a reason not to make a change for the better.

23 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

They certainly shouldn't be adding extra days when teams can't be bothered to bowl their overs quickly enough.

A different issue, and I agree. Although it might stop teams bowling deliberately slowly deliberately in order to secure a draw, which isn’t a fair way to earn a draw, so it could work both ways.

9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’m not arguing against draws though. Draws can be hard fought and fairly won. If you had a 6th reserve day, you could still get a draw. And that would be fine.

Draws are a part of football but if we were 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go and the rest of the game was rained off, would you be happy to accept a draw?

I want my sport to be decided by merit as far as possible, not luck. It’s likely this entire series will be determined by the weather in the next few days, my proposal would reduce the chance of that happening.

I would say a one day final should be played another day rather than shared!

Lots of things in sport have happened “for many decades” and then been changed for the better - pass back rule in football, DRS in cricket for example. That’s not a reason not to make a change for the better.

If we lose this series it will be because of underperforming in first two tests. There are much fewer draws nowadays than there used to be which shows it’s not a problem. 17% in recent times. Less than 1 in 5 tests, which is fine.  Your change would make cricket worse 

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If we lose this series it will be because of underperforming in first two tests. There are much fewer draws nowadays than there used to be which shows it’s not a problem. 17% in recent times. Less than 1 in 5 tests, which is fine.  Your change would make cricket worse 

If only 17% of games end in draws then that tells me the reserve day wouldn’t be needed very often, but when it was used, would increase the chance of a result - win, lose or draw - based on merit rather than the weather. I fail to see how that would “make cricket worse”.

Are people honestly saying they’d rather this game ended after today without another ball being bowled, rather than everyone coming back on Monday for a big finish?

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If only 17% of games end in draws then that tells me the reserve day wouldn’t be needed very often, but when it was used, would increase the chance of a result - win, lose or draw - based on merit rather than the weather. I fail to see how that would “make cricket worse”.

Are people honestly saying they’d rather this game ended after today without another ball being bowled, rather than everyone coming back on Monday for a big finish?

I wouldn’t want to see much fewer than 17% of tests ending in draws. I explained the merit of having a draw as a possible outcome a few posts back. If it was to go down to say 10%, that would make cricket worse in my opinion.  Test matches where you know the result after 2 days are boring. Your theory would increase that.  You’re trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist 

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I wouldn’t want to see much fewer than 17% of tests ending in draws. I explained the merit of having a draw as a possible outcome a few posts back. If it was to go down to say 10%, that would make cricket worse in my opinion.  Test matches where you know the result after 2 days are boring. Your theory would increase that.  You’re trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist 

A sporting outcome decided by weather rather than by merit is a problem that does exist. If the whole point of (for example), an Ashes series is to determine the best team, then it’s sub-optimal.

And, for the last time, I’m not arguing against the draw as an outcome.

My theory overall wouldn’t increase occasions where you know the result after 2 days, because the impact of almost-certain weather delay can have the same effect. In many cases it would open up all three outcomes when a drawn match would otherwise be inevitable.

Watching the Aussies jump around the crease at 90+ MPH bowling, it's a real shame Archer can't get fit. 
Wood and Archer in tandem would be like the English equivalent of the Windies Marshall and Holding.

Just seen your post @ralphindevon

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That's out for me.

Not for me. There was one angle where I thought it hit the turf but none of the replays were crystal clear and therefore the 3rd umpire made the only decision he could make and gave him not out. Root's reaction also suggested he wasn't convinced he'd caught it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Not for me. There was one angle where I thought it hit the turf but none of the replays were crystal clear and therefore the 3rd umpire made the only decision he could make and gave him not out. Root's reaction also suggested he wasn't convinced he'd caught it. 

I agree with @Dolman_Stand , Root should claim it and I think he has a case.

I get those are hard to tell , even for the catcher. But if that's them I think they all go up. 

Understandable for the 3rd Ump not to give it if he's not 100%, but it still looks like his fingers are under the ball to me. And the main point being, it's Smith so it should be given ?

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

A sporting outcome decided by weather rather than by merit is a problem that does exist. If the whole point of (for example), an Ashes series is to determine the best team, then it’s sub-optimal.

And, for the last time, I’m not arguing against the draw as an outcome.

My theory overall wouldn’t increase occasions where you know the result after 2 days, because the impact of almost-certain weather delay can have the same effect. In many cases it would open up all three outcomes when a drawn match would otherwise be inevitable.

If it’s a problem it only seems to be with you !