IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

I don't think you can add time to days or start early because of forecast rain but I think the cut off time should be reviewed so you get 90 overs in the day. I may be wrong but I thought this rule was bought in because TV companies weren't happy about not knowing what time a days play would finished and it played havoc with their schedules. However these days with dedicated sports channels its surely less of a problem?

12 minutes ago, Big C said:

I don't think you can add time to days or start early because of forecast rain but I think the cut off time should be reviewed so you get 90 overs in the day. I may be wrong but I thought this rule was bought in because TV companies weren't happy about not knowing what time a days play would finished and it played havoc with their schedules. However these days with dedicated sports channels its surely less of a problem?

Fans pay for a full days cricket and very rarely get the full 90 overs. Nothing ever gets done about a slow over rate England bowled 49 overs in 2 sessions which is pathetic. Start banning captains for a few games if that's what it takes.

8 hours ago, Super said:

Fans pay for a full days cricket and very rarely get the full 90 overs. Nothing ever gets done about a slow over rate England bowled 49 overs in 2 sessions which is pathetic. Start banning captains for a few games if that's what it takes.

I think the only way would be to penalise runs scored. Not in the laws but could be added to the playing conditions.

Yeah, they're at the point where they need to decide how to sort it. Either make them bowl the full 90 if the condtions are good enough, or if they don't want to go down that route then start handing down proper punishments, such as bans for captains and/or penalty runs etc. Penalty runs being added would pretty much solve the issue overnight.

However they do have to take into consideration the fact that it isn't just the fielding side who are guilty, batsmen are more than capable of slowing it down by calling for drinks, gloves, physio etc as we've seen this week.

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

I agree with 99% of the above, but let's all be honest we wouldn't have been discussing this if the roles had been reversed 

Out of interest did it get announced how much the sides were fined? 

BBC:

"Both teams were ruled to be two overs short of their targets after time allowances were factored in.

All 22 players were docked 40% of their match fees - a fine of around £6,000 each for England's players...."

• Thanks 1

• Admin
46 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

A goodbye for Jimmy maybe. Can hardly begrudge him that 

My cricketing heart says yes in agreement with you, but my cricketing mind questions if potentially losing this Ashes series because of that is worth the sentiment? 

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

My cricketing heart says yes in agreement with you, but my cricketing mind questions if potentially losing this Ashes series because of that is worth the sentiment? 

I think he deserves another chance to see if he’s still good enough. Ranked 3 in the world still and prior to this series was as good as ever 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I think he deserves another chance to see if he’s still good enough. Ranked 3 in the world still and prior to this series was as good as ever 

I think, given that we can no longer win The Ashes, it is a magnanimous decision to give him a decent send off, in what I suspect may well be his last appearance - almost certainly his last Ashes appearance.

As @phantom says above, however, that is my sentimental, cricket heart speaking, as I don’t think I would have picked him had we won at Old Trafford and The Ashes were on the line - unless, of course, he had mopped up those last Australian wickets for nothing, possibly including a hat trick ?.

On 23/07/2023 at 19:03, Kid in the Riot said:

Only got ourselves to blame tbf. I feel like the majority of luck in the series went England's way, but we didn't capitalise on it. 

I bet the Aussies can't quite believe they've retained the Ashes with a Test to spare based on how they've played. 

Spot on, mate. We’ve won every toss and had the best of the conditions in the first four Tests. 

The declaration in the first Test was insane, the drops behind the wicket were sloppy, and the batting at Lord’s when 180-1 was reckless. That’s were we lost those first two Tests. I also thought Stokes should’ve declared in the last Test with a lead of 200. That would’ve given us another two hours to bowl at them that might have been enough to get the win we deserved. 

10 hours ago, OutstandingMixer said:

I don't think Jimmy will retire until he gets that magic 700th Test wicket tbh.

Agreed. If we could’ve won the Ashes at The Oval, I think he’d have called it a day but he’ll be aiming for 700 now. 

While he’s not been a threat in this series, he’s still as miserly as usual. At the very least, that builds pressure. And it’s not like there’s a queue of quality bowlers knocking on the door to replace him either. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Another good start. The Aussies look clueless in the field. It's so weird, since the third Test, they've looked a beaten side to me. 

We've rode our luck a bit. Could easily be 2 or 3 down.

• Confused 1