IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

5 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

And Broad too now they are reporting ?

Archer and Stone still injured. Very brave / odd call. I hope Mahmood gets the nod at least 

Is it just a case of saving them for the summer tests at home? 

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Is it just a case of saving them for the summer tests at home? 

Yeah I considered that but I’m sure I heard an interview on TMS following the Ashes debacle  someone say England would now take each series as it comes and focus on one at a time rather than looking too far in the future. 

In which case if fit surely Broad and Anderson feature and we assess them again during the English summer.

I might be wrong though, may have been an opinion from Aggers or someone. Anderson has certainly been on record saying he wants to go to the WI. 

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Both Strauss and Collingwood weren’t in their jobs a few days ago so they’ve thought this squad through for a matter of hours. Doesn’t bode well 

Agreed. BBC Sport said those three picked the squad anyway. I’m happy with the inclusions of Foakes, Mahmood and Parkinson, but can’t fathom how Lees or Fisher and to lesser extent Lawrence get in.

I also don’t see how Pope gets in after averaging 11 in six Ashes innings when Malan hit a couple of 80s, and Hameed’s for more likely to fare much better on the low slow pitches of the Caribbean against an inferior bowling attack. 

I think we’re on a hiding to nothing here. The Windies always raise their game when we visit, we lost our last Test series there and I expect the same again.

Edited by tin

I understand that Anderson and Broad cant go on forever and England need to learn to cope without them. Better overseas than in England too where Anderson particularly is more effective. Its the comments of Strauss though that I don't understand. To blame England's recent failures on the lack of quality batting but then leave out our best bowlers that could aid the batsmen gain confidence by setting up wins just seems bizarre. The reality is you don't win matches by scoring 1000 runs in a match but by taking 20 wickets. 

8 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Would expect this team for the first test.  Question marks over who bats at 3.  Either Bairstow or Root.  Maybe Mahmood over Woakes. 

1. Crawley

2. Lees

3. Bairstow

4. Root

5. Stokes

6. Pope

7. Foakes

8. Woakes

9. Robinson

10. Wood

11. Leach

Root is batting at 3 which I think is the right call and yea I’d go for Mahmood over Woakes 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

England have named a 12 to face a CWI President's XI in a 4-day match from tomorrow in Antigua. 

No Ollie Pope, with Dan Lawrence preferred at No4. DL in line to play 1st Test.

Crawley, Lees, Root, Lawrence, Stokes, Bairstow, Foakes (wk), Woakes, Overton, Wood, Robinson, Leach

Lees got scores of 2 and 1 opening for England Lions in the one-off match versus Australia A a few months ago. Lawrence has no technique and Overton runs in hard but does little to warrant inclusion. 

Ridiculous to think Bracey got a ton in that Lions game, against an attack containing Neser and Boland, and Norwell took a five-fer yet neither get a look-in against a poor Windies team who will raise their game to beat us IMO. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tin said:

Lees got scores of 2 and 1 opening for England Lions in the one-off match versus Australia A a few months ago. Lawrence has no technique and Overton runs in hard but does little to warrant inclusion. 

Ridiculous to think Bracey got a ton in that Lions game, against an attack containing Neser and Boland, and Norwell took a five-fer yet neither get a look-in against a poor Windies team who will raise their game to beat us IMO. 

Not sure what singling out two innings from Lees proves.  Every batsman who’s ever lived as had a match like that.   Bracey will get another chance for sure but on his debut he looked like a bag of nerves which wouldn’t have helped. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Not sure what singling out two innings from Lees proves.  Every batsman who’s ever lived as had a match like that.   Bracey will get another chance for sure but on his debut he looked like a bag of nerves which wouldn’t have helped. 

Agree to an extent but Lees shouldn’t be in the squad IMO, let alone the XI. Of the openers on the county circuit, I could understand looking at Libby, Yates or Haines or sticking with Hameed on pitches that will suit him.

Robson, Lyth, Stoneman, Duckett, Hameed, Bracey and Yates all scored more runs than Lees last summer, who averaged 39 with one century. I hope he goes well, but I’m not holding my breath. 

2 minutes ago, tin said:

Agree to an extent but Lees shouldn’t be in the squad IMO, let alone the XI. Of the openers on the county circuit, I could understand looking at Libby, Yates or Haines or sticking with Hameed on pitches that will suit him.

Robson, Lyth, Stoneman, Duckett, Hameed, Bracey and Yates all scored more runs than Lees last summer, who averaged 39 with one century. I hope he goes well, but I’m not holding my breath. 

I think they are (and should) focus on other areas rather than just the average. We need to identify players with the technique and temperament for test cricket and sometimes that isn’t the highest average scorers from county cricket 

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think they are (and should) focus on other areas rather than just the average. We need to identify players with the technique and temperament for test cricket and sometimes that isn’t the highest average scorers from county cricket 

Yes, I agree. And the point I was making is that if you’re looking for those other qualities, surely Bracey would be one of the next cabs off the rank after what he did in Australia? That century showed technique and temperament in bucket loads.