IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

One of the all time great test matches. Highest scoring 5 day test match and a win in the last half an hour 

Judging by the light, it was more like a win in the last five minutes, the last five minutes of an absolutely enthralling five day Test Match.

I must admit, when Pakistan were batting with 500 runs on the board, I envisaged a rather mundane finale, but I forgot to take in to account Ben Stokes’ new style of captaincy.

Long may it continue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Atherton making some great points about the magnitude of the win and the performance to do so

Fair play to Stokes , not just talking the talk , but walking the walk , or more like running the walk !

Will be interesting to see how commentators react when it goes wrong in a test which it inevitably will at some point 

• Like 1

Athers nailed it

Former England captain Michael Atherton on Sky Sports: “It has to be one of England’s finest ever Test match wins. I couldn’t think of another England team that would have won the game on this pitch.

"Even if the result had gone against England today I don’t think you would have had anyone criticise it. It gave us a fantastic last day. The crowd was brilliant and enthralled. What is the point of sport if it isn’t about that?”

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I wasn’t expecting the pitch to deteriorate as much, nor did I expect Pakistan to collapse in the way they did.

So the quite brilliant reverse swing of Robinson and Anderson had nothing to do with it? Mastery captaincy as well

You've had a 'mare here mate. Its been a fantastic test match from the first ball to the last one

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

So the quite brilliant reverse swing of Robinson and Anderson had nothing to do with it? Mastery captaincy as well

You've had a 'mare here mate. Its been a fantastic test match from the first ball to the last one

I’m as delighted at the win as any cricket fan. It was very unexpected given the docile wicket. Good captaincy, excellent swing bowling that only began to happen pretty much on the last day.

45 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yes it did deteriorate. The ball began  to swing and there was nothing happening during the first 3.5 days. 

If you look carefully, you should be able to note that, as is usually the case, the ball actually starts swinging before it even touches the pitch.

That is the point of swing bowling.

Sometimes the ball moves when it touches the pitch, due to the revolutions the bowler puts in to the ball.

This is commonly known as spin bowling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The movement was through the air not off the pitch 

The commentary guys were saying that the during the first three day the pitch was “gun barrel” straight. Then the ball began move just a fraction off the pitch as it deteriorated - enough to make a difference to the batsman.

Add to that the ball becoming worn on one side which enabled the likes of Anderson to get some swing. However swing became available fairly late in the match. There was no swing in either of the first innings despite both sides working on the ball - explain that……….……..:cool2:

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I wasn’t expecting the pitch to deteriorate as much, nor did I expect Pakistan to collapse in the way they did.

Uhmmmm 

The pitch didn’t deteriorate....

Have another go

Apologies @Globe Trotterhas already pointed this out to you , amazing that someone had to really

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The commentary guys were saying that the during the first three day the pitch was “gun barrel” straight. Then the ball began move just a fraction off the pitch as it deteriorated - enough to make a difference to the batsman.

Add to that the ball becoming worn on one side which enabled the likes of Anderson to get some swing. However swing became available fairly late in the match. There was no swing in either of the first innings despite both sides working on the ball - explain that……….……..:cool2:

England fired in bouncer after bouncer which helped wear the ball and enable reverse swing later in the innings.  The pitch did not deteriorate at all. Maybe look up what that word means!

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

England fired in bouncer after bouncer which helped wear the ball and enable reverse swing later in the innings.  The pitch did not deteriorate at all. Maybe look up what that word means!

So comments from Atherton, Hussain, Gower don’t know what they’re talking about then?

• Confused 3