IGNORED

Wilbraham staying

pride of the west

• Admin
10 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

13 goals in 107 championship appearances and people think he's useful at this level. Absolutely delusional, nothing but sentiment. "Oh but he's a really good guy, he's really good around the dressing room" Get a grip. How many points did that gain us? They're all grown adults. Club talks about progressing and we're playing a 37 year old up top. Laughable

I thought this would have been more positively received than this. I'm absolutely delighted personally. I must be one of the few that see how savvy he is on the field and is a particularly strong option to bring into the game late on from the bench to close games out. If he was gonna be flogged playing 90mins from the start every week like Cotts used him then I'd agree with you but at his age 20-30 mins every week is totally within his ability and the ball sticks up front a lot better when he is fresh.

16 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Love the wilb. Top bloke 

He would have been off like a rocket is there was a better offer on the table, but good pro yes, we had one terrific season out of him, but to offer him another contract. not exactly progress is it? Like I said sentiment over sensible.  

1 minute ago, Ian M said:

I thought this would have been more positively received than this. I'm absolutely delighted personally. I must be one of the few that see how savvy he is on the field and is a particularly strong option to bring into the game late on from the bench to close games out. If he was gonna be flogged playing 90mins from the start every week like Cotts used him then I'd agree with you but at his age 20-30 mins every week is totally within his ability and the ball sticks up front a lot better when he is fresh.

Agreed, put it this way, with 20 minutes left, I'd rather see Wilbs coming on than Djuric at the moment. Hopefully Wilbs can teach him a few tricks of the trade.

17 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

What do you love about 'Caldicot'?

I'll give you the castle - but what else???

:dunno:

tfj

The people

its quiet

the weather

the birds in the garden (feathered steady on @Rudolf Hucker)

the garden

the house

the fact that it is very close too Gods own country

the view

its close to a Rail station

I could go on but you would get bored

:thumbsup:

whoops missed the wife

1 minute ago, reddoh said:

The people

its quiet

the weather

the garden

the house

the view

I can see you are giving it a real try, but you are clutching at straws a bit:-

- did you mention it has oxygen and grass??

NEVER back a losing position.

Admit you are wrong, and I'll stop attacking you.

:hug:

tfj

11 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

I can see you are giving it a real try, but you are clutching at straws a bit:-

- did you mention it has oxygen and grass??

NEVER back a losing position.

Admit you are wrong, and I'll stop attacking you.

:hug:

tfj

are you my wife?

47 minutes ago, Ian M said:

But for me we're paying a bloke 3/4K a week and people are "happy" to accept he's only fit for 20 minutes. 

My point is it's not a step forward, it's an easy option. There are better players out there who can play 90 minutes and do a better job. Just because he's physical doesn't make him a good footballer. 

I think people only see the good in a Wilbs and many other city players imo. His hold up play isn't great and yes he is savvy but I'm sorry if being savvy gets you a contract that's not good enough for me. 

I guess I just want us to move forward and progress and feel seeing Wilbs in a playing shirt again isn't that.

4 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

But for me we're paying a bloke 3/4K a week and people are "happy" to accept he's only fit for 20 minutes. 

My point is it's not a step forward, it's an easy option. There are better players out there who can play 90 minutes and do a better job. Just because he's physical doesn't make him a good footballer. 

I think people only see the good in a Wilbs and many other city players imo. His hold up play isn't great and yes he is savvy but I'm sorry if being savvy gets you a contract that's not good enough for me. 

I guess I just want us to move forward and progress and feel seeing Wilbs in a playing shirt again isn't that.

What about Caldicot? 

Don't you have an opinion at all??

:dunno:

tfj

Think it's okay.

He can pass tricks of the trade onto the strikers, especially Djuric.

His cameos have been of some value so used in a cameo role it could be okay. Mainly keep him for what he can teach the strikers though tbh.

Someone mentioned Carey and his new contracts.. Tbh even an aging Carey was preferable to Fontaine and Nyatanga in the last 2 or 3 Championship seasons but it was no long term solution.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think it's okay.

He can pass tricks of the trade onto the strikers, especially Djuric.

His cameos have been of some value so used in a cameo role it could be okay. Mainly keep him for what he can teach the strikers though tbh.

Someone mentioned Carey and his new contracts.. Tbh even an aging Carey was preferable to Fontaine and Nyatanga in the last 2 or 3 Championship seasons but it was no long term solution.

Are you talking about Caldicot or the depth of our striking options?

23 minutes ago, reddoh said:

The people

its quiet

the weather

the garden

the house

the view

whoops missed the wife

How can we shut this bloke up?

Perhaps Steve can move one of the training pitches to Caldicot - but I am not sure it's going to be enough.

8 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

You are correct . We also have  a lovein for the players that achieved the double. He hasn't done bad for us . Model pro . Never been my type of player . Jobs for the boys 

Just now, reddoh said:

:shutup:

I am pleased, but there is a nagging doubt the gag would have been better used on BigTone over on the Dog Lovers forum.

He is spending an unhealthy amount of time over there - just saying.

tfj

39 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

On what basis are we paying "3/4K a week"?

19 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

He does those things well but he doesn't make defenders feel his strength and body as well as Wilbs. You'll often see him with a hand behind him trying to hold defenders off like that but it's not as effective as Wilbs getting his behind into a defender and using his power to back that defender up to receive the ball. Wilbs occupies defenders whereas I think Djuric let's them off a bit by trying to keep them away 

I think Djuric has maybe held back though

At times there were fouls given against him and the only possible thing it could have been for was breathing.

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think Djuric has maybe held back though

At times there were fouls given against him and the only possible thing it could have been for was breathing.

Yea he will get there. He's probably the most gifted footballing big man I've seen at the Gate other then Andy Carroll. 

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Got reasonable depth up top, maybe could do with one more just to cover all bases.

Caldicot? Never been but it looks quite nice in photos.

What photos are those then?

tfj

24 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

I think he will be 4k upwards .this is why modern football stinks.This is a guy who was about to retire until steve Coutts asked him to join us.

No he wasn't.

Literally just making things up in order to suit your weird agenda against everyone connected with the club.

20 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

No he wasn't.

Literally just making things up in order to suit your weird agenda against everyone connected with the club.

He met him by chance in a hotel in Dubai thank you very much.Chill out a little bit it's only a football forum.

35 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

He met him by chance in a hotel in Dubai thank you very much.Chill out a little bit it's only a football forum.

Yes, and no.

I'm pretty sure they did meet there, and while the story was said that it was a chance meeting, I have heard to the contrary.

Wilbraham also spoke how Cotts kept checking up on him and his fitness.

IMO Cotterill had decided he wanted Wilbs but had some concerns re age and fitness.

There is an interview with one- cant remember whether Wilbs or Cotterill (probably the latter)- where it was said it wasnt really a chance meeting, but that it was a good story.

Archived