IGNORED

"But where are the goals gonna come from?"

Ian M

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

Engvall I could believe was optimistic but the only others I projected to score significant numbers I put forward reasoned arguments for. Diedhiou scored 8 in 28 in the top division in France, if this exact ratio was repeated here it would be 13 goals in 46 games, worse than Kodjia who scored his goals for Angers at a weaker level. I projected Bobby to score 2 more than his rate last season due to playing further forward. Paterson I put at his same rate as this season, virtually everyone else were similar to their 2016/17 scoring levels and I even failed to mention writing off O'Neil ;) 

When Diedhiou played in Ligue 2 he scored 21 in 36(source football manager and it's quite good for that). So 13 could be a low guess as Angers I don't think create too many chances. So even if you're optimistic on some, I think you're pessimistic on others so it's not a bad shout. I think I'll post mine while I'm here not that anyone cares 

Diedhiou 16 goals

Reid 7 goals

Engvall 5 goals

Taylor 6 goals

Đuric 5 goals

Paterson 9 goals

Pack 3 goals

Smith 0

Brownhill 5 goals

O'Dowda 3 goals

Flint 5 goals

Wright 0 goals

Magnússon 1 goal

Pisano 1 goal 

Bryan 2 goals

Total 69 goals

• Admin
7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

When Diedhiou played in Ligue 2 he scored 21 in 36(source football manager and it's quite good for that). So 13 could be a low guess as Angers I don't think create too many chances. So even if you're optimistic on some, I think you're pessimistic on others so it's not a bad shout. I think I'll post mine while I'm here not that anyone cares 

Diedhiou 16 goals

Reid 7 goals

Engvall 5 goals

Taylor 6 goals

Đuric 5 goals

Paterson 9 goals

Pack 3 goals

Smith 0

Brownhill 5 goals

O'Dowda 3 goals

Flint 5 goals

Wright 0 goals

Magnússon 1 goal

Pisano 1 goal 

Bryan 2 goals

Total 69 goals

Small point, Diedhiou played for Clermont in Ligue 2 who scored 56 goals & finished 7th in the season he was with them so he was playing in a slightly more attacking but essentially worse team than Kodjia did when he scored 15 of Angers' 47 goals. Not sure what conclusion to draw from this though. 

...I'm also confident Bailey Wright will score goals for us this term. He got 2 for us (and a perfectly good goal ruled out at home to Burton, LJ has the apology letter from the ref to prove it) in half a season. That's one, on reflection, I think I underestimated ;) 

8 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Mangani took the last pen for Angers. Diedhiou was playing.

Took (and scored) 1 v Lorient last season, so maybe he missed another afterwards?

Thought I remembered seeing him taking penalties on his YouTube highlights.

7 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Small point, Diedhiou played for Clermont in Ligue 2 who scored 56 goals & finished 7th in the season he was with them so he was playing in a slightly more attacking but essentially worse team than Kodjia did when he scored 15 of Angers' 47 goals. Not sure what conclusion to draw from this though. 

...I'm also confident Bailey Wright will score goals for us this term. He got 2 for us (and a perfectly good goal ruled out at home to Burton, LJ has the apology letter from the ref to prove it) in half a season. That's one, on reflection, I think I underestimated ;) 

Quite sure that was Wilbs with Burton. Think Wright hadn't scored for years before his one with us. Can't remember two

Penalty taker? We are missing a trick here. Kevin Pressman, the keeper, used to love taking penalties for the owls, used to say he just treated it like taking a goal kick from a few yards out. Could Fielding do this? Lucic is massive, I imagine he could get some power behind it. No keeper could stop this.

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

As I navigate my way around the football forum & the transfer forum this seems to be the concern of many posters, somewhat understandably, given the loss of Tammy & our record signing up front still unlikely to match the 23 league goals our erstwhile Chelsea loanee bagged for us.

As it seems the obvious place to start, let us start with the forwards. Understandably there is some concern that Diedhiou is not an out-and-out goalscorer and may take some time to acclimatise to the new league and surroundings. The good news is he has pedigree. He arrives from the same club we got Kodjia from, SCO Angers, though wasn't at the club at the same time or indeed play in the same league. Prior to his arrival here, Kodjia scored 15 goals as Angers secured promotion from Ligue 2 to Ligue 1. Diedhiou meanwhile scored 23 goals a season on loan at Clermont in the same division and 9 goals in 29 starts when playing for Angers in Ligue 1. Kodjia went on to score 19 goals in his sole season with us in the Championship. What can we learn from this? Well, all players are different but the early indication is that he should be able to score at a similar rate in England. I'd say an estimate of 13 goals would be a conservative estimate in this example.

Next up, rather surprisingly is Bobby Reid, Johnson's supposed replacement for Tomlin in the support striker role. Bobby scored 3 goals in 18 starts in the Championship last season playing a number of roles, but mainly in midfield. During this pre-season Bobby has been on-fire playing in a more advanced role scoring 8 goals in 6 appearances (many where he was on the field for just half a game). If he just scored at his former rate he'd be on for 8 goals over a full season but starting further forward, he should be afforded more chances to score. For now I'm going to try an err on the side of conservatism again, Bobby Reid will go down as 10 goals.

The next selection may be a little controversial, Gustav Engvall. I believe this is a big season for Gustav, he had his struggles with health and fitness on arrival last season and he didn't ever really get going for us except for a decent performance with no end product against Hull & an assist for Paterson against Fleetwood in the cup. With the Euro's coming up for the U21 sides, Gustav went back to Sweden on loan and performed better than he had ever before in his young career scoring 7 goals in 13 games. Following his return to the Tenerife training camp & perhaps thanks to the injuries our other strikers are suffering from he appears to have been welcomed back into the fold and scored 2 goals in his first game back on English soil. I believe he will feature quite heavily through August as Johnson beds Famara in and will get reasonable minutes from the bench and starting roles in the Cups. He seems to have decent movement and knows where the goal he is. If he takes this chance I can see him going on to act as a rotation option/understudy to Famara. Engvall to score 8 goals :fear:

The rest: Much has been said of the effect of the Snake, Matty Taylor, on our survival fight last season. During his run in the side he "only" scored 2 goals. I suspect if LJ favours FD & BR as the main partnership this season Taylor will have to make do with sub appearances & just the occasional start. However, this may benefit him as his lack of pace wont be so noticeable against tired defenders. Matty Taylor 4 goals. Milan Đuric has suffered from recurring injuries last season & this has carried over into this. In his brief appearances he showed hints of being able to play at this level. He scored 1 goal in 3 starts & 8 sub appearances last season. If he can sort his fitness issues out I can see him scoring 5 goals for us. Aaron Wilbraham is probably in his last season as a player with us and will probably not get a lot of playing time. With that in mind I am not predicting him to score any goals. A wildcard here may be Freddie Hinds who is enjoying pre-season with the first team but we have not seen enough of him to know if this is his breakthrough year for us.

Into midfield and the main threat appears to be Jamie Paterson who finished last season on fire after some time on the sidelines when it was rumoured he didn't get on with our larger playmaker who has since left for pastures more Welsh. Despite this he managed to score 6 goals in 27 appearances for us last term. Over a full season this would have equated to 10 goals & even with him having a more consistent/important role in the side, I will stick with this 10 goals projection. The remainder of the midfield doesn't have a lot in it but Calum O'Dowda was getting closer to getting his first Championship goal last season & I am backing him to break this duck this season (and score 1 more), Josh Brownhill did break his duck to score his first goal for us, I back him to get 2 next season. Marlon Pack & Korey Smith got 2 between them last season (Pack with both) and I'm saying they'll match it again this season.

In defence I have pretty much gone with last season's tallies, however the introduction of Eros Pisano should add more goals as he has some form here and has bagged a couple in pre-season. I'm marking him down for 3 goals.

In total this all adds up to 69 goals, 9 more than we got in 16/17. You may disagree with my numbers, maybe you think Gustav will get zero (but then I'd expect some more from one of the others as it'd mean they feature more), but in my mind there is goals throughout this team. You never know, we might still sign someone who will add to our tally too? This coupled with our improved defensive performance in the final 10 games last term gives me the optimism that we can get a comfortable mid-table finish this season.

Tl;dr we will score goals, breakdown below:

Diedhiou 13 goals

Reid 10 goals

Engvall 8 goals

Taylor 4 goals

Đuric 5 goals

Paterson 10 goals

Pack 1 goal

Smith 1 goal

Brownhill 2 goals

O'Dowda 2 goals

Flint 6 goals

Wright 2 goals

Magnússon 1 goal

Pisano 3 goals

Bryan 1 goal

Total 69 goals

Bobby Reid could and quite possibly score more than 10, with the way that we play especially, I believe Engvall IF HE GETS GAME TIME, could be our leading scorer, not much to go on apart from last night, has a real strikers instinct.Overall I think you have underestimated our goals for, I would bet you that we will be at least in the 70's. A lot of goal scoring potential in the squad. Just need to be tight at the back.

Just now, Super said:

If we had a decent defence then one goal may be good enough to win a number of games. 

I can think of two games in quick succession where 2 goals wasn't enough(Reading and Cardiff at home). That is 6 points and add that to our total and we look Moreno respectable. Need to concede probably a good third less than last season(so about 1 a game) which isn't to hard I don't think. Brighton only conceded something like 14 last season I think I saw? Not asking for that just a bit more solid would be nice and should see us to about 60 points 

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

...and if it happens that will make you sad?

What a pathetic reply. The problem with far too many people on the forum, is that they assume others who have a different opinion and criticise the situation, want City to lose. It seems that anyone who states an opinion,  that all is not perfect  at the club is just being negative, and those who state that all is well are the only real City fans. I would love City to finished mid table but I don't beleive it will happen if we have to reply on Bobby Reid to be our second highest goal scorer. 

Various people have said your post is well thought out, and they are entitled to their opinion, but I don't think it's well thought out at all. As @GrahamC said, Reid has only scored 7 goal in 88 appearances for City. Even allowing for the fact that many would be substitute appearances, assuming he will score 10 this season is optimistic.

The other major flaw is that all the forwards / attacking players can't all play in the team at the same time. In addition to Reid and Diedhiou you've assumed that Engvall, Taylor, Đurić and Patterson will score 27 goals between them. For Reid and Diedhiou to score 10 and 13 goals respectively, they would have to play in the majority of matches. If they are playing, the others can't also be playing unles LJ decides to dispense with a defence. If they are not playing in many games they won't  score 27 goals 

For what it's worth, I hope the Diedhiou will score close to 20 goals in partnership with Đurić or Engvall who could score 25 between them, if the former is fit and the latter is with the club. If not Taylor must be a better bet than Reid as he has a better scoring record at lower league level 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

What a pathetic reply. The problem with far too many people on the forum, is that they assume others who have a different opinion and criticise the situation, want City to lose. It seems that anyone who states an opinion,  that all is not perfect  at the club is just being negative, and those who state that all is well are the only real City fans. I would love City to finished mid table but I don't beleive it will happen if we have to reply on Bobby Reid to be our second highest goal scorer. 

Various people have said your post is well thought out, and they are entitled to their opinion, but I don't think it's well thought out at all. As @GrahamC said, Reid has only scored 7 goal in 88 appearances for City. Even allowing for the fact that many would be substitute appearances, assuming he will score 10 this season is optimistic.

The other major flaw is that all the forwards / attacking players can't all play in the team at the same time. In addition to Reid and Diedhiou you've assumed that Engvall, Taylor, Đurić and Patterson will score 27 goals between them. For Reid and Diedhiou to score 10 and 13 goals respectively, they would have to play in the majority of matches. If they are playing, the others can't also be playing unles LJ decides to dispense with a defence. If they are not playing in many games they won't  score 27 goals 

For what it's worth, I hope the Diedhiou will score close to 20 goals in partnership with Đurić or Engvall who could score 25 between them, if the former is fit and the latter is with the club. If not Taylor must be a better bet than Reid as he has a better scoring record at lower league level 

Woah there, pathetic reply? You reacted "sad" to my opening post so I was asking if that was why as that's the part you drew attention to with a later reply, no offence meant :) 

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Diedhiou.

Marlon possibly?

@Ian M - nice post.  Agree with lots on here.  Think Bobby will be rotated too much to get 10, but if you take 92 games up front between Diedhiou (lions share of 46, say 38) for his 13 (1 in 3), that leaves 54 starts between Bobby, Gustav, Matty and Milan.  I think Matty is the make-weight in all of this.  I said a few weeks ago that I could see him leaving in January (if not next summer), but the emergence of firstly Bobby and now Gustav (yes, one two goal game doesn't do it, but I thought he was good enough since Hull) means I can't see him getting many starts at all.

Back to those 54 starts, say another 14 (1 in 4) shared between them, might not reach the heights you've set, but I think our jewel in the crown will be Paterson.  Can see him getting 10.

So that's 37 so far, and you can probably add another 6 from the bench at some point through the season from the strikers/forwards from the games they don't start.  That's 43.

Add in Flint 5 (48), Bryan and Pisano 3 each (54), and you're best part of the way to a decent(ish) total.

I do think a solid midfield 2 of Pack / Smith (with the rotation of Brownhill) will mean few goals from centre of the park, but will allow the full-backs and wide-men to contribute to a few goals and more assists.

Reasons to be positive(ish).

• Admin
7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I can think of two games in quick succession where 2 goals wasn't enough(Reading and Cardiff at home). That is 6 points and add that to our total and we look Moreno respectable. Need to concede probably a good third less than last season(so about 1 a game) which isn't to hard I don't think. Brighton only conceded something like 14 last season I think I saw? Not asking for that just a bit more solid would be nice and should see us to about 60 points 

If we improved the defence to concede a third less goals that would have made it the 3rd best in the league, we don't need to improve that much as I don't think anyone is targeting automatic promotion this season, other than LJ of course to keep up his Europa League timeline :shutup:

I think you must have misheard Brighton's defensive record as they (& Newcastle) conceded 40.

15 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

OP is a reasoned well thought post BUT it is in hope, the fact remains however our top 3/4 goalscoring hopes have little to no play time exp in the championship and will be up against some very tough defences.

I really hope they live up to the OP`s dreams but cant see it myself and you must know already I think we will struggle, ..........and yes PONGO 88 they cant all play at once.

You think you got problems I have the all seeing all knowing Graham on my case,we have a very young mobile team that is bursting with energy, OK we might not be anywhere the complete team, but it does look like a better outfit than we have had for a number of seasons....I know some want us to fail...just to prove that they were right all along about Lee, that is sad.

11 minutes ago, Ian M said:

If we improved the defence to concede a third less goals that would have made it the 3rd best in the league, we don't need to improve that much as I don't think anyone is targeting automatic promotion this season, other than LJ of course to keep up his Europa League timeline :shutup:

I think you must have misheard Brighton's defensive record as they (& Newcastle) conceded 40.

Much more realistic maybe I saw their GD:grr: anyway it'd be nice to keep it between 45-50 but I'd be happy with 50-55. 

11 hours ago, Ian M said:

As I navigate my way around the football forum & the transfer forum this seems to be the concern of many posters, somewhat understandably, given the loss of Tammy & our record signing up front still unlikely to match the 23 league goals our erstwhile Chelsea loanee bagged for us.

As it seems the obvious place to start, let us start with the forwards. Understandably there is some concern that Diedhiou is not an out-and-out goalscorer and may take some time to acclimatise to the new league and surroundings. The good news is he has pedigree. He arrives from the same club we got Kodjia from, SCO Angers, though wasn't at the club at the same time or indeed play in the same league. Prior to his arrival here, Kodjia scored 15 goals as Angers secured promotion from Ligue 2 to Ligue 1. Diedhiou meanwhile scored 23 goals a season on loan at Clermont in the same division and 9 goals in 29 starts when playing for Angers in Ligue 1. Kodjia went on to score 19 goals in his sole season with us in the Championship. What can we learn from this? Well, all players are different but the early indication is that he should be able to score at a similar rate in England. I'd say an estimate of 13 goals would be a conservative estimate in this example.

Next up, rather surprisingly is Bobby Reid, Johnson's supposed replacement for Tomlin in the support striker role. Bobby scored 3 goals in 18 starts in the Championship last season playing a number of roles, but mainly in midfield. During this pre-season Bobby has been on-fire playing in a more advanced role scoring 8 goals in 6 appearances (many where he was on the field for just half a game). If he just scored at his former rate he'd be on for 8 goals over a full season but starting further forward, he should be afforded more chances to score. For now I'm going to try an err on the side of conservatism again, Bobby Reid will go down as 10 goals.

The next selection may be a little controversial, Gustav Engvall. I believe this is a big season for Gustav, he had his struggles with health and fitness on arrival last season and he didn't ever really get going for us except for a decent performance with no end product against Hull & an assist for Paterson against Fleetwood in the cup. With the Euro's coming up for the U21 sides, Gustav went back to Sweden on loan and performed better than he had ever before in his young career scoring 7 goals in 13 games. Following his return to the Tenerife training camp & perhaps thanks to the injuries our other strikers are suffering from he appears to have been welcomed back into the fold and scored 2 goals in his first game back on English soil. I believe he will feature quite heavily through August as Johnson beds Famara in and will get reasonable minutes from the bench and starting roles in the Cups. He seems to have decent movement and knows where the goal he is. If he takes this chance I can see him going on to act as a rotation option/understudy to Famara. Engvall to score 8 goals :fear:

The rest: Much has been said of the effect of the Snake, Matty Taylor, on our survival fight last season. During his run in the side he "only" scored 2 goals. I suspect if LJ favours FD & BR as the main partnership this season Taylor will have to make do with sub appearances & just the occasional start. However, this may benefit him as his lack of pace wont be so noticeable against tired defenders. Matty Taylor 4 goals. Milan Đuric has suffered from recurring injuries last season & this has carried over into this. In his brief appearances he showed hints of being able to play at this level. He scored 1 goal in 3 starts & 8 sub appearances last season. If he can sort his fitness issues out I can see him scoring 5 goals for us. Aaron Wilbraham is probably in his last season as a player with us and will probably not get a lot of playing time. With that in mind I am not predicting him to score any goals. A wildcard here may be Freddie Hinds who is enjoying pre-season with the first team but we have not seen enough of him to know if this is his breakthrough year for us.

Into midfield and the main threat appears to be Jamie Paterson who finished last season on fire after some time on the sidelines when it was rumoured he didn't get on with our larger playmaker who has since left for pastures more Welsh. Despite this he managed to score 6 goals in 27 appearances for us last term. Over a full season this would have equated to 10 goals & even with him having a more consistent/important role in the side, I will stick with this 10 goals projection. The remainder of the midfield doesn't have a lot in it but Calum O'Dowda was getting closer to getting his first Championship goal last season & I am backing him to break this duck this season (and score 1 more), Josh Brownhill did break his duck to score his first goal for us, I back him to get 2 next season. Marlon Pack & Korey Smith got 2 between them last season (Pack with both) and I'm saying they'll match it again this season.

In defence I have pretty much gone with last season's tallies, however the introduction of Eros Pisano should add more goals as he has some form here and has bagged a couple in pre-season. I'm marking him down for 3 goals.

In total this all adds up to 69 goals, 9 more than we got in 16/17. You may disagree with my numbers, maybe you think Gustav will get zero (but then I'd expect some more from one of the others as it'd mean they feature more), but in my mind there is goals throughout this team. You never know, we might still sign someone who will add to our tally too? This coupled with our improved defensive performance in the final 10 games last term gives me the optimism that we can get a comfortable mid-table finish this season.

Tl;dr we will score goals, breakdown below:

Diedhiou 13 goals

Reid 10 goals

Engvall 8 goals

Taylor 4 goals

Đuric 5 goals

Paterson 10 goals

Pack 1 goal

Smith 1 goal

Brownhill 2 goals

O'Dowda 2 goals

Flint 6 goals

Wright 2 goals

Magnússon 1 goal

Pisano 3 goals

Bryan 1 goal

Total 69 goals

Bobby,ten goals??

There ain't no 'Manor Farm in our league........

Regrettably I feel we are in for a real struggle this season unless we bring in a couple more "quality" signings. In saying that I have this feeling that Engvall is going to show his true worth and do really well for us. That is of course providing he gets a decent run in the team. Anyway I hope he does as he comes across as a nice lad with some ambition to do well.

9 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

You think you got problems I have the all seeing all knowing Graham on my case,we have a very young mobile team that is bursting with energy, OK we might not be anywhere the complete team, but it does look like a better outfit than we have had for a number of seasons....I know some want us to fail...just to prove that they were right all along about Lee, that is sad.

Two thoughts...Graham is one of the better informed posters on here, one of those whose opinions are always worth reading, so it's not a bad thing if he's reading your posts...

...and if we "might not be anywhere the complete team" then SL, MA and LJ have a lot of questions to answer...we certainly looked like a "complete team" when we got promoted a couple of years ago, it's not as though Bristol City lacks experience in putting such a side together, but then, we've completely changed the management team since then, for a group that has no such experience.

As to the OP...what I'd say was needed was a team that creates chances, the goals can be spread around. The first few league matches will tell us whether we have such a team.

That's a damn good post Ian; although I reckon Diedhou may score a few more, and Reid and Pato possibly a few less.  I'd also shave a few off of Đurić's tally.

Still concerned that Flint's tally might disappear altogether.

And you've forgotten the goal scoring prowess of the O.G!  And I fancy either FF or Lucic for a wind-assisted goal some time in January.

Edit - What about McCoulsky?  Will he get any time in the first team this season, or just another season of loan football?

• Admin
30 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

That's a damn good post Ian; although I reckon Diedhou may score a few more, and Reid and Pato possibly a few less.  I'd also shave a few off of Đurić's tally.

Still concerned that Flint's tally might disappear altogether.

And you've forgotten the goal scoring prowess of the O.G!  And I fancy either FF or Lucic for a wind-assisted goal some time in January.

Edit - What about McCoulsky?  Will he get any time in the first team this season, or just another season of loan football?

Playing time will effect tallies a bit as well. Not-to-mention any more signings. Good point about the own goals! McCoulsky has not scored above Conference South level yet so I doubt we will see much of him in the first XI.

Pato scoring less seems to be a theme in this thread. He got 5 goals in 17 starts for us last season as a player who was in and out of the team.

Just now, Ian M said:

Sorry that was me clicking the wrong "x" to close the pop up window. Feel free to give me it back ;) 

This is abuse of mod powers, I demand justice! :protest:

In seriousness, it's a good post, as said yesterday, time for a proper rating rather than one for a dumb joke.

Great post @Ian M. I think the goals will be much more shared about this year compared to the Tammy One Man Show. I think players will be encouraged much more to shoot and attack where possible, i.e. dont just give up pocession for the sake of it, make sure there is a shot on. 

What about Penalties, Pack? Got to put his tally up a bit?  I know we don't get many but every goal scored is one less we have to keep out

• Admin
Just now, JamesBCFC said:

This is abuse of mod powers, I demand justice! :protest:

In seriousness, it's a good post, as said yesterday, time for a proper rating rather than one for a dumb joke.

Don't worry, I'm building up a pretty nice collection of snakes in other places. :yawn:

14 minutes ago, RedM said:

Great post @Ian M. I think the goals will be much more shared about this year compared to the Tammy One Man Show. I think players will be encouraged much more to shoot and attack where possible, i.e. dont just give up pocession for the sake of it, make sure there is a shot on. 

What about Penalties, Pack? Got to put his tally up a bit?  I know we don't get many but every goal scored is one less we have to keep out

Joe always seems to hit a mean pen,

Looking at some of the build up play in the friendlies I don't think scoring will be an issue, 

Archived