IGNORED

Nathan Baker - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Son of Nob

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

apart from give him a new contract in december 2016

And played him in every minute of every game. Flint needs this, can another team offer him guaranteed football #clutchingAt Straws #StillFeelingSick #MakingFansGutted

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Seems to me you're determined to find a reason to 'blame' someone (probably LJ) for Flint leaving.

If he goes, he goes. If he does go, I'm sure we'll get a good price for him. Granted, it's going to be difficult to replace him but he's not the first player to leave the club.

I do believe we would get a good fee yes, if Mark Ashton has done anything since his time here it's his ability to sell for a good high end price.

A quick point about Mags: too many people seem to have warmed to him based solely on his endless "I love this club" tweets.

Not saying he's not a decent defender (he improved, and I'd like to see him given an extended run in the team), but I honestly couldn't care less how much players tweet this guff.

My opinion of a player is based solely on how they perform on the pitch and not what they say on Twitter. We all know about Tomlin and his Twitter escapades.

Just now, RUSSEL85 said:

For Baker? bargain!! Any idea how long is left on his contract?

So why don't Villa want him, he was with us as returning from injury wasn't he, not unwanted as such. Although I guess it's a while ago and have better now?

I'd rather have Flint than Baker but I think the club is doing a fine job of managing the situation.

Too often in the past they've failed to sell players at the top of their market value because they've never wanted to be seen as a selling club. Just imagine the profit they could have made if they'd sold the likes of Aaron Brown, Marvin Elliot and Liam Fontaine at their peaks. Instead they never made a penny.

As far as I can tell they're preparing to sell Flint at exactly the point where his value is likely to peak. It's possible that he goes on to improve and fair play to him if he does, but if he stays at City I'd say his value is at least as likely to decline over the coming years as it is to go up. In Wright and now Baker they're bringing in the right players to ensure he's adequately replaced whilst they're clearly not prepared to let him go cheaply.

It looks like the club will end up getting good value for the player and having an adequate replacement where in the past they'd have either kept him and watched his value decline, or let him go without a replacement in place. If that's the case then they have to be applauded.

18 minutes ago, Taz said:

Also interesting that the squad numbers have been announced - Flint is still 4, and all the other single numbers are taken.

15 is available though - 1+5=6 - Baker?

Gary O'Neil number 30 .... I remember when Ayling went from number 5 to 20 and was sold a month or so later.....

Just now, RedM said:

So why don't Villa want him, he was with us as returning from injury wasn't he, not unwanted as such. Although I guess it's a while ago and have better now?

Villa have about half a dozen centre backs now don't they? Apparently he made 35 appearances last year so his situation seems to have changed over the summer.

18 minutes ago, Taz said:

Also interesting that the squad numbers have been announced - Flint is still 4, and all the other single numbers are taken.

15 is available though - 1+5=6 - Baker?

I think you'll find that Gaz O'Neill has relinquished shirt number 6, and this season will wear number 30. Therefore shirt number 6 is very much available. If we sign Baker, I expect him to be wearing it.

Completely this.

Brought in Terry & Samba this summer, Chester was first choice last season.

They would probably prefer to move Micah Richards on but can't find any takers.

With Elphick there too, Baker is unlikely to play. Don't forget this works two ways, they are obliged to settle his contract (I've heard £20k a week) and after a lot of spending they need players out.

37 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If Flint was to go to Boro, what does that mean for Daniel Ayala? He is a better CB than Flint. 

It means they're selling Gibson, probably to WBA, but not before getting his replacement in. Just lile we're not selling Flint until we get his replacement in...

All depends on whether Stockhausen is correctly, of course.

But how we've we got to the point where everyone's believing Stockhausen is beyond me. 

8 minutes ago, RedM said:

Having just signed Terry presumably he's been told he won't be a regular starter and he wants first team football?

35 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

So a Flint/Baker comparison:-

Best Goals Scored   - Flint

Best Disciplinary Record - Flint 

Best Injury Record - Flint 

Best Heading Defending - Flint

Best Ground Defending - Baker

Best Leadership -Flint

Best Red&White Blood - Flint

Lets just hope the transfer management committee know what they're doing and it all part of the 'grand plan'.

Could not have put it better. Agree 100%.

13 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

A quick point about Mags: too many people seem to have warmed to him based solely on his endless "I love this club" tweets.

Not saying he's not a decent defender (he improved, and I'd like to see him given an extended run in the team), but I honestly couldn't care less how much players tweet this guff.

My opinion of a player is based solely on how they perform on the pitch and not what they say on Twitter. We all know about Tomlin and his Twitter escapades.

I think he is a good defender who is good with the ball at his feet, I don't take much notice of twitter to be honest

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

I seem to be in the minority here but I guess thats what a forum is for. I think hes a liability and always looks like hes going to get sent off. Not doubting his heart but certainly doubting lots about his overall game.

You  are not alone . Not only was he an accident waiting to happen but equally he was often injured , If memory serves .

He is however a big unit and a character. 

Time will tell.

Thank you for all the replies, I didn't realise they had signed 2 new CB's, yes someone will want a move then. But perhaps he could partner Flint not replace him, can BW move across to LB in a 4? Mags as back up

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm not surprised by that. It's the wages that will be astronomical. Dread to think what we're paying him as he must have been on very good money at Villa.

im thinking he will take a small cut, but then again we have Tomlins wages to offset against Bakers.

Archived