IGNORED

Nathan Baker - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Son of Nob

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It means they're selling Gibson, probably to WBA, but not before getting his replacement in. Just lile we're not selling Flint until we get his replacement in...

All depends on whether Stockhausen is correctly, of course.

But how we've we got to the point where everyone's believing Stockhausen is beyond me. 

since he's left the post, he's about 200% more reliable and about 1000% better at his job, going Freelance is doing him wonders

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

How does that equate to 'done little to encourage him' ? 

I imagine there's been numerous discussions between club and player with regards his situation. We could have offered him double his current wages to stay for all we know. 

You're correct nobody, apart from Flinty and the Club, knows what's gone on. All just pure speculation. 

The Club strategy appears to be to sell players at their (perceived) peak for the best money. Add that to LJs football philosophy of nippy ball playing footballers and it seems to me, at least, we want to cash in.

Odd that (I think) LJ mentioned his name -and no others - as a potential 'loss' during this window.

I conclude - rightly or wrongly - that I don't think that LJ/Club have done every last thing to get Flinty to stay. 

They may well be right to take the money - Flinty certainly ain't flawless -  and have  a 'punt' on a different centre back. I genuinely hope the Club's strategy will deliver us the success, or at least the stability, we all crave.

In the meantime, assuming Flinty goes, I will try and adjust my deeply embedded 'leaders & winners' DNA to one more aligned with LJs. 

Just now, Moor2Sea said:

You're correct nobody, apart from Flinty and the Club, knows what's gone on. All just pure speculation. 

The Club strategy appears to be to sell players at their (perceived) peak for the best money. Add that to LJs football philosophy of nippy ball playing footballers and it seems to me, at least, we want to cash in.

Odd that (I think) LJ mentioned his name -and no others - as a potential 'loss' during this window.

I conclude - rightly or wrongly - that I don't think that LJ/Club have done every last thing to get Flinty to stay. 

They may well be right to take the money - Flinty certainly ain't flawless -  and have  a 'punt' on a different centre back. I genuinely hope the Club's strategy will deliver us the success, or at least the stability, we all crave.

In the meantime, assuming Flinty goes, I will try and adjust my deeply embedded 'leaders & winners' DNA to one more aligned with LJs. 

unfortunately thats where we are as a club at the moment, but frankly it's something we've needed to do, before MA go here, the sort of deals for Kodja and the rumoured deal for flint wouldn't happen,

We would of sold kodja for 3 million and probably let flint run down his contract,

Losing players doesn't always sit right and in the short term it upsets the fans, but in the long run we will be doing the correct thing, and if selling flint means we can bring in 3 players to strengthen positions we seem to be weaker in then its the correct thing to do for the team

• Admin

If Baker hasn't asked for a transfer it's quite possible Villa will be keen to get him off the wage bill and do some deal in this regard. This would then enable Baker to accept a lower contract with us with more pitchtime whilst not being "out of pocket". 

47 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

So a Flint/Baker comparison:-

Best Goals Scored   - Flint

Best Disciplinary Record - Flint 

Best Injury Record - Flint 

Best Heading Defending - Flint

Best Ground Defending - Baker

Best Leadership -Flint

Best Red&White Blood - Flint

Lets just hope the transfer management committee know what they're doing and it all part of the 'grand plan'.

Leadership - Baker 

Organisation of a back 4 - Baker (although Flint has improved)

33 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

I get that. Disappointed if that were so, but he's earned it and we, seemingly, have done little to encourage him to stay. 

What we should be doing is looking at an upgrade. Don't think we will achieve that. Baker is injury prone and is a booking waiting to happen. Maybe the plan is to bring on Maggs or Taylor Moore, knowing that Baker will have no where near Flint's appearances. 

Step backwards in my view, which is worrying given we have no idea if the new left back or centre forward foreign imports will match or exceed Little or Tammy.  So given the 'spine' at the start of last season, Flinty, Tomlin, Kodjia/Tammy - none are left. 

Suppose it all comes down now to trust in LJ/MA. I genuinely hope they've got it right, really do. 

Booking waiting to happen - I get that, but imho Flint is too nice.  Would like to have seen him go through his marker more often.  Imagine he'd have made a strong challenge on Che Adams early doors?  Flint could've been more imposing than he was.

25 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Heard the fee is around £2m

Decent....2 years left on contract.

12 minutes ago, Olé said:

Presumably this deal will net off against whatever is still owed from Kodjia or some add ons will be cancelled?

Mmmm, wondered this too.  Was Baker allegedly on £40k of at Villa?

Not sure why everyone presumes Baker is on massive wages.

He came up through the youth system so won't have had the wage boost that comes with a big money move. Micah Richards and Lescott had those moves to Villa and are/were reportedly on around £45k each. 

Baker will not be in that bracket, especially when you look over his premier league appearances. He signed his last deal in 2015 under Sherwood when Villa were cutting their cloth massively wage wise, having made 11 or so prem appearances the season before. Then he was still back up to Richards and Clarke.

I imagine his wages are not quite as high as people imagine.

26 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

A quick point about Mags: too many people seem to have warmed to him based solely on his endless "I love this club" tweets.

Not saying he's not a decent defender (he improved, and I'd like to see him given an extended run in the team), but I honestly couldn't care less how much players tweet this guff.

My opinion of a player is based solely on how they perform on the pitch and not what they say on Twitter. We all know about Tomlin and his Twitter escapades.

Do you think it was right for him to be dropped?

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

unfortunately thats where we are as a club at the moment, but frankly it's something we've needed to do, before MA go here, the sort of deals for Kodja and the rumoured deal for flint wouldn't happen,

We would of sold kodja for 3 million and probably let flint run down his contract,

Losing players doesn't always sit right and in the short term it upsets the fans, but in the long run we will be doing the correct thing, and if selling flint means we can bring in 3 players to strengthen positions we seem to be weaker in then its the correct thing to do for the team

Spot on post Monkeh.

To all those who are "concerned" about Flint's possible departure. Don't worry as players come and go for lots of reasons, The Tomlins because while being talented, aren't consistent enough as team players.

Flint will move on one day, maybe for more money, it's a very short career, maybe to try a higher level, to avoid thinking "if only" later in life. We will miss him, but replacements will take over, with different strengths and weaknesses. 

A football club/team that never changes it's personnel will stagnate and ultimately will descend league by league.

So a "Good friend" moves on and a new boy comes in. That's life.

28 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

I think you'll find that Gaz O'Neill has relinquished shirt number 6, and this season will wear number 30. Therefore shirt number 6 is very much available. If we sign Baker, I expect him to be wearing it.

That's changed since it went up earlier, O'Neill was definitely on that list as number 6 when I saw it - right before I posted the original comment.

Baker at 6 it is then. Definitely a different list to earlier.

4 minutes ago, Saunders87 said:

Do you think it was right for him to be dropped?

I think he seemed unsure of himself to begin with. But, to be fair to him, Johnson's constant chopping and changing wouldn't have helped. Plus, having liabilities in goal (all 3 of them) put extra pressure on him.

The first two things any new player from abroad will notice in this league: it's quick and it's physically demanding. Mags seemed a little lightweight. As I said, so many players were dropped and then reinstated and then dropped again, it's hard to make a firm judgement. Mags and Baker would seem to be a good combination though. I don't like two brutes at the back, and nothing I've seen from Wright suggests he's any better or worse than Mags. Plus, Mags can score. 

In short, no one really deserved not to be dropped last season. 

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Scrap the £2m earlier. Fee is £3m. Likely to be in squad tonight. 

Still a good fee as long as we don't wipe out the Kodjia add ons.

Maybe Villa will pay a % of his wages for a higher fee? Even 5 or 7.5k per week being paid by them is relative peanuts.

LJ commenting on the potential for Flint leaving is probably based on the fact that he was scouted numerous times last season by several clubs including the likes of Swansea and Sunderland. The fella has been a great servant and if he does go because he is offered the opportunity to join a bigger club, and the club gets a decent fee, so be it. I'm a bit ambivalent about LJ as gaffer, but seeing conspiracies and weaknesses in every situation is getting a tad ridiculous now!!!

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Still a good fee as long as we don't wipe out the Kodjia add ons.

Maybe Villa will pay a % of his wages for a higher fee? Even 5 or 7.5k per week being paid by them is relative peanuts.

I think Baker's wages at Villa are in the mid £20k pw. Clark is on £30k a week and Baker wouldn't have been that high.

A signing on fee over 4 years would make up the difference and he would be within our wage structure.

33 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

I think you'll find that Gaz O'Neill has relinquished shirt number 6, and this season will wear number 30. Therefore shirt number 6 is very much available. If we sign Baker, I expect him to be wearing it.

The number 6 is the best shirt to have. My favourite when I played.

We've had a few good 'uns .......... Merrick, Hunter, Carey (not always a 2).

Over to you Nath!  

Just now, Alessandro said:

I think Baker's wages at Villa are in the mid £20k pw. Clark is on £30k a week and Baker wouldn't have been that high.

A signing on fee over 4 years would make up the difference and he would be within our wage structure.

Plus we have Tomlins wages available and Flints by the looks of it, if he is on his way to Boro

Just now, JonDolman said:

What about flint's number?

not that squad numbers mean anything these days

SQUAD NUMBERS 2017/18

1 Frank Fielding
2 Eros Pisano
3 Joe Bryan
4 Aden Flint
5 Bailey Wright
7 Korey Smith
8 Josh Brownhill
9 Famara Diédhiou