IGNORED

The cheek of Flint...

EmersonsRed

Just now, Benni said:

I agree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with selling players for a good price and getting others in instead. I think most posters on here are missing my point. The thing is that Lee's comment today where he said that Flint has had his head turned is pathetic because he has not had his head turned and is 100% committed to the club. Flint did not ask for a move and Lee made the decision a long time ago to sell Flint. 

Flint, himself, does not need to ask for a move for a transfer to take place.  All it takes is for another club to be the pro-active one, agree with City an acceptable amount and then talk to the player....if they haven't already done this through or not through his agent! :whistle:

I don't see that either Flint or the club have done much (if anything) wrong here.  This is modern day football.  In fact it's not.  Flint hasn't thrown his toys out of the pram and refused to play.  Johnson hadn't got him training with the kids.  

SL is right that we shouldn't get too attached to our players....not whilst we are a developing / hopefully progressive club and a relative tiddler in the ocean.

2 minutes ago, Leaning To One Side said:

And fair play to him I'd say, Lee is doing what is best for the club imo.

Flint is probably at optimal value given age etc so cash in now as he's already had the foresight to bring in a more than adequate replacement in Baker.

Am I right in saying that SL recently said that the fanbase shouldn't get too attached to a player and that one of our objectives is to be financially savvy?

You are right, SL did say that.

You are also right about this being the optimal time to cash in on Flint. As long as we don't let him go for an under value fee just because, 'he's had his head turned.' If we quote a £6m fee for Flint and get it then he'll go with the blessing of the majority of fans I should think and why not? He's been immense for the four years he's been here, 100% committed every time he walks onto the pitch.

I've enjoyed his time here as a City player, he's been one of the good 'uns but the world turns and things change. If he is off, then providing we get the right deal, I'll be happy for the big fella.

As for LJ doing what's best for the club? First and foremost LJ is doing what's best for LJ. That's ok, he lives and dies by the decisions he makes. If come Christmas we're deep in the relegation zone then I wouldn't expect SL to remain inert.

Not really sure what the issue is, a player gets the chance to move to a more high profile club managed by a highly successful manager. He's at the age where he will be keen to take the opportunity. We have already signed his replacement. Let's just thank him for his enormous contribution, and let's be honest, he's been much more than 'just another player', and wish him well for the future. And if he does stay, LJ has a very difficult decision about who to play at CB next season.

Dear Attention Seekers, 

I am actually quite pleased if he goes for a decent fee. A good solid centre back, but not quite as good as some think. Certainly not one for the future, and a more than able replacement has already been found. 

If he goes, I hope that you will be able to deal with your grief. Perhaps this could manifest in you becoming even more Anti-LJ, if that is in fact possible. If so I hope this helps you to fight your demons. However you decide to deal with this whole sorry saga, please remember some of us on here don't really care. As we've seen and heard it all before.

Just surprised that nobody has threatened to rip up they're season ticket yet if Flint goes! 

Rgds - JFHL

Perhaps (yes, perhaps), LJ is a manager who involves himself heavily in the statistical side of the game (a more regular thing for many young managers these days). 

Perhaps those stats suggested that Flint were directly responsible for a significant proportion of the goals conceded last season, and that LJ has looked at the stats, realised he has a player who, whilst he has a good market value, may be easily replaced. 

LJ may then put Flints name out to the market as he perhaps doesn't fit with the style of play he wants, considers him the weaker of the central defensive options based on the seasonal statistical analysis and is encouraged by the club policy to cash in as best he can on what is currently viewed as a big asset but can very easily lose that value in the coming season.

Oh, and if he could sign a better replacement for half the fee you could sell Flint for then 'perhaps' that becomes a no brainer.  

All just 'perhaps', you'll understand! 

Flint is a player - end of. Charismatic for sure but imv an overrated and one dimensional CB. He, like other before him are head it and kick merchants with little or no ability to bring the ball out of defence.

When he goes then fair play to him for earning as much dosh as possible with his limited footballing ability. If City get £5 or 6m for him then I'd laugh all the way to the bank.

5 hours ago, Benni said:

It is amazing how Lee Johnson has managed to get supporters against Aden Flint. LJ's quote today is simply pathetic and an attack on a player who has always given 100% for the club. 

Going to start with not a massive LJ fan:

However you're calling him pathetic for something that you perceive to be an attack (Flint might not) 

Let alone the fact he's clearly highlighting some truth about the contract offer, and he actually praised the player as well.  

Could also be argued it's amazing how some fans manage to twist everything against LJ to make him look bad??

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Perhaps (yes, perhaps), LJ is a manager who involves himself heavily in the statistical side of the game (a more regular thing for many young managers these days). 

Perhaps those stats suggested that Flint were directly responsible for a significant proportion of the goals conceded last season, and that LJ has looked at the stats, realised he has a player who, whilst he has a good market value, may be easily replaced. 

LJ may then put Flints name out to the market as he perhaps doesn't fit with the style of play he wants, considers him the weaker of the central defensive options based on the seasonal statistical analysis and is encouraged by the club policy to cash in as best he can on what is currently viewed as a big asset but can very easily lose that value in the coming season.

Oh, and if he could sign a better replacement for half the fee you could sell Flint for then 'perhaps' that becomes a no brainer.  

Or it's nothing to do with stats and he thinks a center back pairing of Wright and Baker is so what we need perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I would hope that stats do show the value of Flint to the club not just the supporters, who can get hung up on a rose tinted view of a players contribution. Otherwise they're using the wrong metrics.

If the hierarchy at BCFC have come to the conclusion that we can let Flint go without diminishing the defensive side of the team and indeed, improve upon it, then so be it. If LJ has determined that Flint doesn't fit into the plans he has for the team then he'd be a fool to accommodate Flint just because he's a fans favourite.

It all hinges on the amount someone else is willing to pay and we hold the necessary cards regarding that. If selling Flint, with Baker already onboard, gives us the money to sign say, Ripley and the Swedish winger/midfielder then I'd say (again only guessing) the majority of fans would go along with that.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Benni said:

Understandably. I was very much in the "Johnson In" camp at the beginning of the season, but after getting to know him better and seeing that almost whatever he says is a ****in lie I turned against him. I'm not the only one and I'm not talking about posters on here...

You are a relative of Hörður and I claim my £5 :yes:

7 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I don't think he meant specifically by Brum. It's clear the agent has been laying it on thick about how much he can earn elsewhere. 

One thing that's very evident from following Flint on social media is that money is everything. Hilarious that people think he has some 'love' for BCFC. 

That's a some  claim -/ criticism / label 86 - Where's that ?

i,follow him on Instagram and it's virtually all football related on there - anything but money or materialistic 

His last 12 posts -

IMG_1530.PNG

Problem is with some of these guys who've come right up from the non league is that they work themselves up to Championship level with a club and are still on relatively small contracts and haven't actually made that much money out of football, yet.

At 28, Flint may just want a very big contract with Brum or Derby or whoever else wants him and then he's made for years with cash.

Same is happening with Hugill now at Preston. One decent season and his agent wants to move him, with Sunderland and Birmingham circling. He hasn't made much money out of football yet having gone from non league to Port Vale to PNE and may just want to completely secure his future with a big move.

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

LJ can come out and say what he thinks, if a player does the same he gets fined. How do you know what Flint or any player thinks of the club. How do you know that money is everything ? Has Flint asked for a move ? Have you asked him ? When you last sat down and talked with him, what did he say to you about these things ? You don't know, I don't know, but based on nothing you hang the player out to dry. The only thing that is hilarious is how gullible some people are. Attach him to a polygraph and ask the right questions. 

Flint need say nothing since his agent can simply feed stories to the media quoting 'sources close to the player.' They do it all the time, just as they plant stories about interest in their clients from other clubs, whether true or not.

I may not be angry with him for wanting to cash in but nor do I feel the need to feel sorry for him.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

i,follow him on Instagram and it's virtually all football related on there - anything but money or materialistic 

His last 12 posts -

IMG_1530.PNG

Did you get the double meanings? It's powerful stuff...

4 hours ago, pnefcok said:

Problem is with some of these guys who've come right up from the non league is that they work themselves up to Championship level with a club and are still on relatively small contracts and haven't actually made that much money out of football, yet.

At 28, Flint may just want a very big contract with Brum or Derby or whoever else wants him and then he's made for years with cash.

Same is happening with Hugill now at Preston. One decent season and his agent wants to move him, with Sunderland and Birmingham circling. He hasn't made much money out of football yet having gone from non league to Port Vale to PNE and may just want to completely secure his future with a big move.

I'm with you on your general point, though Flint is certainly not on a low wage. He could probably double it by moving though, so who can blame him?

And of course his agent will get a fat fee, these days probably from the player and the buying club. In an under regulated business that is legit too.

Given we cannot compete on wages and as long as we get an acceptable fee I don't see any point in worrying about things you can't control.

We've just signed a lad nearly two full years younger, and with experience of playing at both a higher level and in this division under his belt.

Add to that we've just appointed another central defender our captain, have another international for that position in the squad, and I think it's pretty clear losing Flint had been planned for.

I'm disappointed, as think he's always put in a shift, and have excellent memories of his performances for us (never will forget his role in the double winning team), but it's rare for a player to stick around at any club a long time, so this isn't a surprise.

He'll go with my best wishes; if he wants to see what out there, he's entitled to do so, just as long as we get what we want for him.

Bryan; different matter.  He's one I think we need to look to retain, even if I'm unconvinced he will be quite as good as some think.

Regardless; has the attributes to be a top player at this level, and we certainly don't have cover for him were he to be sold (unless Johnson heel-turns on using Mags at left back, which is unlikely).

Eithet way; in the current market, £4 million was a tester, and Harry will have intended it as such - imagine now LJ and Ashton will be in a position judge if either of the two want out, though sounds like Flint had broken cover on that already.

Think we'll lose Aden, and don't really blame anyone in this situation - if even Naymar can choose to leave Barca, how can we expect all our players to want to stay at City?

4 hours ago, billywedlock said:

LJ can come out and say what he thinks, if a player does the same he gets fined. How do you know what Flint or any player thinks of the club. How do you know that money is everything ? Has Flint asked for a move ? Have you asked him ? When you last sat down and talked with him, what did he say to you about these things ? You don't know, I don't know, but based on nothing you hang the player out to dry. The only thing that is hilarious is how gullible some people are. Attach him to a polygraph and ask the right questions. 

How am I hanging him out to dry? Several people who are ITK to some degree said a long time ago that his agent made it known he wanted to explore other options. That's now been backed up by Johnson in the presser. 

It is equally irritating that without any knowledge you castigate and insult a player . As a mere mortal, with no information how about giving the benefit of any doubt. The club will always have the upper hand in communication because the players will never be able to comment. When LJ made that comment, where is the interview with Flint ? When he could give his version ? Maybe he would agree, maybe he would say he wants to leave, maybe he would say he wants to stay, maybe he would say  he has been  pushed out unfairly and been treated terribly. Who knows. 

I note that @Benni likes this yet continues to ignore any requests for further info to actually clear up the situation. 

And to be fair I'm not insulting anyone. Simply discussing the situation as it appears to us mere plebs who aren't part of the 'inner circle'. 

If we weren't allowed to discuss these things without being ITK there'd be about three people here. 

It amazes me how some people seem to blame Lee Johnson for this, He rightly said Flint had his head turned,  wouldn't you if for instance you had seen a job you do paying say 20% more than already get add to that his agent gently nudging him towards a move so he also  cashes in? 

Johnson has done all he could by getting adequate cover in and try to get the best possible price for Flint, I personally think that it will be a sh*t move to a club that are on a Downward spiral but if Flint wants to go and the price is right, let him. 

5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

His last 12 posts -

IMG_1530.PNG

I was referring to bits and pieces I saw on Twitter over the last year or so Bob, I'm not a big Instagram user. 

From following him on twitter it's clear that he idolises Conor McGregor - who's vulgarity regarding his own wealth is pretty disgusting. Perhaps I've had my opinion coloured a bit by that. 

I feel I should point out at this point that I'm actually a big Aden Flint fan and it would make me sad to see him leave. I just don't think our entire existence is conditional on him being here in the way some do. I think the whole 'cult hero' thing makes people think he's some kind of messiah.

In no way was my comment meant to be an insult. I can't begrudge any footballer jumping at a chance to get their salary doubled.

Whether it's the non leaguer going from £250 to £500 a week or Neymar going from £300k to £600k a week or whatever. It's a short career and who doesn't want to maximise their value. Flint will know that a poor season with us could significantly damage his hopes of a move up the food chain. He'd go with my best wishes if so, as does any player who puts in 100% in the shirt whilst they are here (compare and contrast, Mr Tomlin!)

I just think the whole 'Flint loves Bristol City' thing is a bit overblown - we kid ourselves when we say a player loves our club like we do. It's a job, isn't it? If he could do the same job in Birmingham or Leeds or Middlesbrough and double his earnings I think he probably would  

Unless the ITKs actually post something informative other than 'haha you don't know what's going on' I guess all we can do is speculate. 

It is equally irritating that without any knowledge you castigate and insult a player . As a mere mortal, with no information how about giving the benefit of any doubt. The club will always have the upper hand in communication because the players will never be able to comment. When LJ made that comment, where is the interview with Flint ? When he could give his version ? Maybe he would agree, maybe he would say he wants to leave, maybe he would say he wants to stay, maybe he would say  he has been  pushed out unfairly and been treated terribly. Who knows. 

Agree with this we only get the clubs side of things and always have done, the players ala Basso, Tomlin, etc are hero`s one minute and devils the next......it will always be difficult to speak out against your employers.

7 hours ago, Benni said:

I agree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with selling players for a good price and getting others in instead. I think most posters on here are missing my point. The thing is that Lee's comment today where he said that Flint has had his head turned is pathetic because he has not had his head turned and is 100% committed to the club. Flint did not ask for a move and Lee made the decision a long time ago to sell Flint. 

So the agent didn't tell the club in the summer that they wanted to explore other options? That was a lie? Help us out. 

4 minutes ago, j1974 said:

It amazes me how some people seem to blame Lee Johnson for this, He rightly said Flint had his head turned,  wouldn't you if for instance you had seen a job you do paying say 20% more than already get add to that his agent gently nudging him towards a move so he also  cashes in? 

Johnson has done all he could by getting adequate cover in and try to get the best possible price for Flint, I personally think that it will be a sh*t move to a club that are on a Downward spiral but if Flint wants to go and the price is right, let him. 

You don't know if that's true though; and that club on a downward spiral...........same one that beat us at home in front of a near full house wasn't it?

Be careful we could be the ones on a "downward spiral" by xmas, smashing non league teams doesn't make us promotion certs.

8 hours ago, Benni said:

Understandably. I was very much in the "Johnson In" camp at the beginning of the season, but after getting to know him better and seeing that almost whatever he says is a ****in lie I turned against him. I'm not the only one and I'm not talking about posters on here...

We had some disagreements about LJ when you first joined the forum, but glad you have  now seen the light.

Now that it's clear you are not a Johnson pretending to be Icelandic, I suspect I know who you are, and if I were being cynical, I'd say that your turning against LJ isn't so  much  a case of recognizing him for what he is, but more so anger at how your "friend" has been treated.

So got to the right conclusion for the wrong reason maybe?

5 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

You don't know if that's true though; and that club on a downward spiral...........same one that beat us at home in front of a near full house wasn't it?

Be careful we could be the ones on a "downward spiral" by xmas, smashing non league teams doesn't make us promotion certs.

We finished last season higher then the previous one. 

We finished the season before that higher than the previous one. 

We finished the season before THAT higher than the previous one. 

Downward spiral? :blink:

I'd hate to see this place if we actually were. 

2 minutes ago, NickJ said:

We had some disagreements about LJ when you first joined the forum, but glad you have  now seen the light.

Now that it's clear you are not a Johnson pretending to be Icelandic, I suspect I know who you are, and if I were being cynical, I'd say that your turning against LJ isn't so  much  a case of recognizing him for what he is, but more so anger at how your "friend" has been treated.

So got to the right conclusion for the wrong reason maybe?

Have you just blown his cover as part of the Hörður horde?!

33 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I was referring to bits and pieces I saw on Twitter over the last year or so Bob, I'm not a big Instagram user. 

From following him on twitter it's clear that he idolises Conor McGregor - who's vulgarity regarding his own wealth is pretty disgusting. Perhaps I've had my opinion coloured a bit by that. 

I feel I should point out at this point that I'm actually a big Aden Flint fan and it would make me sad to see him leave. I just don't think our entire existence is conditional on him being here in the way some do. I think the whole 'cult hero' thing makes people think he's some kind of messiah.

In no way was my comment meant to be an insult. I can't begrudge any footballer jumping at a chance to get their salary doubled.

Whether it's the non leaguer going from £250 to £500 a week or Neymar going from £300k to £600k a week or whatever. It's a short career and who doesn't want to maximise their value. Flint will know that a poor season with us could significantly damage his hopes of a move up the food chain. He'd go with my best wishes if so, as does any player who puts in 100% in the shirt whilst they are here (compare and contrast, Mr Tomlin!)

I just think the whole 'Flint loves Bristol City' thing is a bit overblown - we kid ourselves when we say a player loves our club like we do. It's a job, isn't it? If he could do the same job in Birmingham or Leeds or Middlesbrough and double his earnings I think he probably would  

Unless the ITKs actually post something informative other than 'haha you don't know what's going on' I guess all we can do is speculate. 

Agree 86

Im totally confused if I'm honest

On one hand you have some gossip and the Club saying that his agent has been at work and now Adens 'head has been turned', and the Club have clearly made plans to go on without him

On the other , you have people being quite clear that Flint hasn't asked for a move and in fact doesn't want to move and suggestions that he doesn't fit what LJ wants

You are correct that the 'loves the club' thing can be over hyped but my feeling is Flint would like to push forward with City

Remember his quote (And accept that it's 'words' )about Bristol City being like a family when he signed his contract in December

All very bizarre

I have no personal knowledge or even second hand info on this one 

I know you may , and others will , castigate me but in all honesty I take a lot of what the Club say with a pinch of salt in current times

So many examples of smoke and 'white lies' in last 12 / 18 months - not sure I've ever known the Club to behave so on a regular basis 

Like wise , and I agree with you , it's hard to gauge the validity of posts from posters , especially with limited detail or how they know

Rightly or wrongly I take interest in @Kid in the Riot s posts as , for me his track has generally been pretty close / accurate on matters

(When I have heard bits and pieces I , more than not I don't post , but I don't think it's ever contradicted what KITR has to say

Archived