IGNORED

The cheek of Flint...

EmersonsRed

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Have you just blown his cover as part of the Hörður horde?!

Ha maybe.

LJ is LJ but back to Flint.

There is a fundamental point that seems to have been missed here. If it's really all about money with Flint, why would we need to lose him. So why?

Bristol City unable to afford to pay the same as Birmingham? I don't think so.

Birmingham a "bigger" club? History  and current evidence suggests that is marginal if at all, and in any case according to LJ we will soon be in the Premiership, so I don't think that's it.

LJ doesn't rate Flint and so happy to see him go?  LJ has started Flint in every game since he came here, ahead of other centre backs including LJ's own signings, so can't be that.

If Flint is leaving, it's because Flint wants to leave, now I wonder why that might be, if it doesn't need to be about money.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Flint is a player - end of. Charismatic for sure but imv an overrated and one dimensional CB. He, like other before him are head it and kick merchants with little or no ability to bring the ball out of defence.

When he goes then fair play to him for earning as much dosh as possible with his limited footballing ability. If City get £5 or 6m for him then I'd laugh all the way to the bank.

I'd hope we get more than £5 !!!

:facepalm:

1 minute ago, NickJ said:

Ha maybe.

There is a fundamental point that seems to have been missed here. If it's really all about money with Flint, why would we need to lose him. So why?

Birmingham a "bigger" club? History  and current evidence suggests that is marginal if at all, and in any case according to LJ we will soon be in the Premiership, so I don't think that's it.

LJ doesn't rate Flint and so happy to see him go?  LJ has started Flint in every game since he came here, ahead of other centre backs including LJ's own signings, so can't be that.

If Flint is leaving, it's because Flint wants to leave, now I wonder why that might be, if it doesn't need to be about money.

Perhaps he's too chummy with Cotts…? Who knows! 

Too much cloak and dagger, smoke and mirrors…so many scenarios. Too quick to draw a conclusion, I've got no idea.

Whatever happens to Flinty, I wish him all the best. 

15 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Too much cloak and dagger, smoke and mirrors…so many scenarios. Too quick to draw a conclusion, I've got no idea.

Couldn't agree more.

With many of the posters on here, it all depends on their agenda.

At the end of the day Flint is 28. Has given us 4 years of good service for 200k. Great value. Thus, if we can get anything north of 4 million for him then, I am sorry, that is good business. We have replacements in the wings who are younger and in my view better. Thanks for everything Flinty but we benefit and you benefit from making more money. No brainer.  I really dont get the "love in" that some fans have towards him. At times he has been a liability and save for his ariel prowess he is not a top level championship defender, which probably illustrates why we have nearly been relegated twice in the past 2 seasons. That said, will always be welcome back at City and should always be highly regarding for putting his body on the line for the club. Let him go.

This may also be controversial, but I would try and get the same deal for Bryan. The most over hyped played I have watched. "Best left back in the league".... well I am not sure I have been watching the same player. For the past 2 seasons he has been abject with some occasional glimpses. In fact, was he not dropped by Cotterill for Williams because he was so bad..... LJ rejuvenated him but he is also replaceable. Lloyd Kelly is apparently a very good prospect and physically is more imposing than Joe , so now is the time to find out.  We should then be using the funds from these player sales to upgrade the playing staff. It looks to me that we are doing just that so MA and LJ plainly know what they are doing. I for one am quite optimistic with what the club is trying to do and I have not always been...

45 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree 86

Im totally confused if I'm honest

On one hand you have some gossip and the Club saying that his agent has been at work and now Adens 'head has been turned', and the Club have clearly made plans to go on without him

On the other , you have people being quite clear that Flint hasn't asked for a move and in fact doesn't want to move and suggestions that he doesn't fit what LJ wants

You are correct that the 'loves the club' thing can be over hyped but my feeling is Flint would like to push forward with City

Remember his quote (And accept that it's 'words' )about Bristol City being like a family when he signed his contract in December

All very bizarre

I have no personal knowledge or even second hand info on this one 

I know you may , and others will , castigate me but in all honesty I take a lot of what the Club say with a pinch of salt in current times

So many examples of smoke and 'white lies' in last 12 / 18 months - not sure I've ever known the Club to behave so on a regular basis 

Like wise , and I agree with you , it's hard to gauge the validity of posts from posters , especially with limited detail or how they know

Rightly or wrongly I take interest in @Kid in the Riot s posts as , for me his track has generally been pretty close / accurate on matters

(When I have heard bits and pieces I , more than not I don't post , but I don't think it's ever contradicted what KITR has to say

No castigation here. I'm not naive enough to think that everything that comes out of the club is true. Same for all clubs, not an exclusive thing to ours as some like to make out though. We just seem to collectively love having a stick to beat managers and other staff with.

Football is a multi billion dollar industry and a lot of that wealth is created through smoke and mirrors tactics off the pitch. 

I also keep a keen eye on KITR's posts, I just wish for once instead of the 'haha you don't know what really goes on' mentality, people would just post what they know or don't bother mentioning it. Every time I've asked @Benni to elaborate he ignores it but seems to love playing 'I know something you don't know'. 

39 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Ha maybe.

That's my point entirely. He's played every game for the last two years basically but LJ doesnt want him? If that was the case why has he played pretty much every game under him?

Sounds - to the casual observer who isn't ITK - that the agent was very quick to try and get more money for himself/Aden/both and the club took umbrage to it, and are now looking to cash in rather than be held to ransom?

Has Flint been very badly advised/managed by his agent and is now potentially facing a move he doesn't really want? Sounds like the agent may have shown his hand a bit early? 

26 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

It doesn't matter why players move on but virtually every time is all about money. Flint is no different and if Brum pay him a bigger wedge then fair play. None of us would be any different if we were offered better money elsewhere doing the same job.

Transfers between clubs are frequently secretive so it's no big surprise that we don't know how much Brums opening bid was. If they want Flint badly enough they be back with a better offer and that'll get rejected as well and so on........eventually he'll go when both clubs have agreed on his value.

20 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

No castigation here. I'm not naive enough to think that everything that comes out of the club is true. Same for all clubs, not an exclusive thing to ours as some like to make out though. We just seem to collectively love having a stick to beat managers and other staff with.

Football is a multi billion dollar industry and a lot of that wealth is created through smoke and mirrors tactics off the pitch. 

I also keep a keen eye on KITR's posts, I just wish for once instead of the 'haha you don't know what really goes on' mentality, people would just post what they know or don't bother mentioning it. Every time I've asked @Benni to elaborate he ignores it but seems to love playing 'I know something you don't know'. 

Indeed. Generally my experience of people who make a big show of having insider info they "cannot share" is that the reason they "cannot share" it is:

1) they know they are insignificant enough in the chain of information that they will just be bypassed next time if they are seen shooting their mouth off.

AND

2) revealing their information will also reveal how little they know and how small a fragment of the overall picture they have been given access to.

In short, people who feel the need to self-aggrandise about their inside info and act all publicly surreptitious about it boast about knowing a little because they know they are not important enough to know a lot. People used to dealing with in-depth insider information tend to get to that position because they can  be trusted to neither blabber or play children's games about how they have a secret.

It is pretty clear @Benni has a contact at the club with an axe to grind and a willingness to grind it. But ultimately that is an opinion rather than objective insider info.

All we are learning from this thread, as with all we learn from other threads of this ilk, is there are people in the club who dislike LJ. Which is fine but not all that useful - there are people who dislike any manager in any career you care to mention. You want a manager to carry people with them as far as possible but being a manager is not the same thing as entering a popularity contest. The jury is still very much out on LJ but the fact some people dislike him tells us nothing of value and people with a strong view one way or another may have their own valid personal views of LJ but are not necessarily useful sources about what is happening on a wider scale.

21 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

That's my point entirely. He's played every game for the last two years basically but LJ doesnt want him? If that was the case why has he played pretty much every game under him?

Sounds - to the casual observer who isn't ITK - that the agent was very quick to try and get more money for himself/Aden/both and the club took umbrage to it, and are now looking to cash in rather than be held to ransom?

Has Flint been very badly advised/managed by his agent and is now potentially facing a move he doesn't really want? Sounds like the agent may have shown his hand a bit early? 

Pretty much my reading of the situation, based on the various snippets that are in the public domain...

• Admin
1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Interesting that he joined the forum 4 days after Hörður joins the club

:whistle:

The plot thickens !

Someone else with my investigation skills :laugh: 

As for Flint, it may just be a case of weighing up what we can get for players in areas with cover in order to improve areas of the team we are weaker in. It's what I'd do back in the day on Football Manager :shifty:

13 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed. Generally my experience of people who make a big show of having insider info they "cannot share" is that the reason they "cannot share" it is:

1) they know they are insignificant enough in the chain of information that they will just be bypassed next time if they are seen shooting their mouth off.

AND

2) revealing their information will also reveal how little they know and how small a fragment of the overall picture they have been given access to.

In short, people who feel the need to self-aggrandise about their inside info and act all publicly surreptitious about it boast about knowing a little because they know they are not important enough to know a lot. People used to dealing with in-depth insider information tend to get to that position because they can  be trusted to neither blabber or play children's games about how they have a secret.

It is pretty clear @Benni has a contact at the club with an axe to grind and a willingness to grind it. But ultimately that is an opinion rather than objective insider info.

All we are learning from this thread, as with all we learn from other threads of this ilk, is there are people in the club who dislike LJ. Which is fine but not all that useful - there are people who dislike any manager in any career you care to mention. You want a manager to carry people with them as far as possible but being a manager is not the same thing as entering a popularity contest. The jury is still very much out on LJ but the fact some people dislike him tells us nothing of value and people with a strong view one way or another may have their own valid personal views of LJ but are not necessarily useful sources about what is happening on a wider scale.

Good post as normal LB

Agree with your last para too but pulling myself aside from any single incident / rumour or anything else , it's the number of these things re players, and their regularity , that concerns me

Add to that some other events , Pelling , Burt , Taylor , Pembo , Wilbs ....

The ship never seems so steady as we are led to believe (IMHO)

14 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

I think LJ was spot on . Birminghams offer was shit . Not attack on the player. Surely common sense 

Quite right-laughable offer-wouldnt take less than £8/9 mil for the pair(plus sell ons)...but Flint has to go now,so somthing needs to be thrashed out.thanks for the memories,it's time you left big fella.

41 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

AND

You don't need to be(or will you be)liked universally-but you have to be 99% respected to bring people to you,and to follow your lead..

I believe Lee hasn't achieved that.Indeed,make enough enemy's 'n ultimately your doomed.

Harry's a wily old fox, that bid was just to stir things up and it's succeeded (eg this thread). He knows if he can unsettle the players to the point where they want out then he can get them cheaper. Additionally, Flint must be wondering whether he'll get in the team now  Baker's here and Bailey Wright is probably always going to play now he's captain. Redknapp is probably aiming to get Flint for around £3M and he may succeed if the player's unhappy enough.

15 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

So whats the problem? Its a short career and hes trying to make as much money as possible for the good of his family.

Oh give over. It grates when people say stuff like that. Even moderately paid Championship players can earn £500,000 in one year – it would take me 20 years to earn that. So cry me a river, you overpaid primadonnas

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

Ha maybe.

When John Terry was moving to Villa it was clear that one of their defenders was going to move on. Now perhaps Baker instigated trying to come back here, maybe he was offered to us... but your analysis misses one key option:

LJ asked would he like £2m in the bank and replace Flint with Baker. Not aimed at you because I think you would be consistent, but there are a number of posters I am giggling at thinking hmmm I wonder if Villa bid £2m plus Baker for Flint and LJ turned it down just how similarly they'd be criticising him.

If Flint really, really was all that, all I want to add is his agent (for whatever cause) has clearly been touting him to clubs. And the ones that bite are clubs that are run as a shambles off the field and both relics of what they once were, one of which finished below us with lesser average attendances and we even had a chance to relegate them. Sorry, but to me that speaks absolute volumes. I personally think Flint is incredibly overrated here.

15 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

"He's a good lad, Aden - he's definitely had his head turned, there's no question of a doubt about that,"

A quote from LJ. Surely a ******* joke? I'm no fan of his as I've made very clear over the past 4 years, but having your head turned by Birmingham? They've 12 months until they are in turmoil again after Harry sacks it realising he can't get promoted by spending money easily...

Bye Flint, cheers for your goals in league one... I'll drop you there if needed.

Your assuming his head was turned by Birmingham.

Just because they are the only club that we know has made an offer does not prove this to be the case.

Just now, downendcity said:

Your assuming his head was turned by Birmingham.

Just because they are the only club that we know has made an offer does not prove this to be the case.

It'd be a nice outcome for our club and conversations with individuals if his head was turned by a stunner and he ended up with a dog. A lesson learned in life.

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

Ha maybe.

It seems there was quite a bit of discontent during the middle of the season, whether that was caused by the terrible run or caused it I guess nobody really knows.  Relationships between LJ and a handful of players seem to have come out of that damaged, again if there's any blame or where that might lie we don't know.  I suspect a bit of both, I don't think LJ handles players well.  Irrespective it's clear the club (SL) are backing LJ over anyone else.

Flint signed a new deal near the start of that bad run, and did play with full commitment all the way through it.  If he's subsequently become aware of interest from bigger clubs and he's not 100% happy then it's usual to want to explore that.  He's not conducted himself anything less than professionally so fair enough.  We're not about to offer another contract so soon after the last one, that would send an odd message to the other players.

From the club's point of view if they can get a great price for Flint at his peak, and replace him with a slightly younger player with some substantial cash in the bank to boot, that's sensible business.  I think Flint is a good player at this level, sometimes very good but does have limitations.  I think Baker can be as good perhaps better.  If we get £6m upwards I'll be happy enough.  Baker and Wright will be a good pairing.

Some on here are talking about not accepting less than £8-9 million for Flint and Bryan, which might seem reasonable in this day and age. However, would those same people or any others, BUY Flint and Bryan for £8-9 million?

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

One answer to this question might be Johnson's failure to recruit anyone better, or even as good as Flint. His two defensive incomings last summer - Magnússon and Matthews - were not a success. Bailey Wright looks more like it, although with the ball at his feet, he didn't look any more comfortable than Flint, to me.

Just now, jayjay said:

Some on here are talking about not accepting less than £8-9 million for Flint and Bryan, which might seem reasonable in this day and age. However, would those same people or any others, BUY Flint and Bryan for £8-9 million?

Your price to sell should always be much higher than your price to buy surely?  We've already got good enough cover for Flint and IMO won't sell Bryan nor should we. 

3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

You don't know if that's true though; and that club on a downward spiral...........same one that beat us at home in front of a near full house wasn't it?

Be careful we could be the ones on a "downward spiral" by xmas, smashing non league teams doesn't make us promotion certs.

There is no smoke without fire, Flint only signed a new contract last year and being 28 this is his last chance of a reasonable pay day. 

With regards to Brum their chairman has promised them the earth and delivered naff all, if you read their forum Brum fans aren't exactly optimistic about this season and with regards to ourselves last season we had a big turn around of players who this season will be a lot wiser about the championship especially the younger and foreign players but maybe that's me being optimistic! 

I'm not going into full debate here, as it will turn out into an argument.

I've heard rumours from both sides, and what @RedM was told by Flint may actually be the truth.

Think about it, two players had bids from Birmingham? How come only one player apparently has had their head turned but not the other?

Was Baker signed to prepare for Flints departure? Or was he signed to try to push Flint out?

As I said, I've heard two different stories regarding the Flint saga.

Archived