IGNORED

Joe Bryan

Whale Eye Beef Hooked

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I  have qualifications in psychology (football) and also football which allowed me to visit Manchester Citys training facility. Its sci fi stuff what can be done with technology x football and its metrics. 

The psychology of this is fascinating because you are often confronted with facts that confirm you are entirely wrong in your own thinking - There is a conviction on here that Joe Bryan crossing/final ball is poor. That conviction can instantly be discredited by A/ Knowing what normal successful crossing ratios are (spectacularly low) and B/ What Joe Bryans are. A/ You will find in moneyball and everything you know about football is wrong ... 

Totally agree. Stats vitally important. 

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Once more agree to disagree.

We are BCFC we do not spend 2.2 mil on a back up player, that is clubs with parachute payments, if we have money to spend on Magnússon, Engvall, O'Dowda all into their 2nd season of back up/potential, then I believe for that money we could actually have something close to a fit for purpose midfield, an area that once more looks like being ignored and just to add to that and bring the conversation back on track, a fit for purpose midfield that might have not contributed to the drop in form that Bryan suffered last season.

I think you have it wrong about Joe Bryan but right there. if City are going all out towards this high tempo football and they are players should fit it. Tomlin was never going to. Magnússon looks to be a costly mistake amongst others. buy players to fit high tempo players first and foremost.

22 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well I think we would lose money, none of them have improved and none are regulars. Of course we could always say that we received 2.9mil each for them, that might work?.

And of course I forgot the 2 journeymen ONeil and Tomlin signed under the present, no journeymen only potential regime.

Spud I can see a lot of progress in many areas of our club and I am truly glad for that, however I look at our transfer policy and it has to be said that it is hit or miss at best, we pay 2.2 mil for a CB who has been described as too lightweight for the English game and LJ obviously does not rate at all and Brum pay 2 mil for a proven championship CB and there is only 2 years difference in age.

But let me offer another topic that has been spoken about before and even by ex players, is the real problem that LJ cannot handle the bigger profile players?.

I think they have improved EMB. The difference being...improved for the Championship, or improved as a player? It's horses for courses so to speak.

You have to have some older heads and experience in the squad. Hence the likes of Tomlin, Oneil, Wilbs, Goldbourne.

No transfer policy is perfect mate. Look at so many clubs in this division that have been doing the same thing over and over again for years. Take Ipswich as an example...or Forest.

The Championship has been littered with clubs doing the same thing, bobbing about between relegation and Promotion places.

I think LJ rates all the players...Like I said before, some players are squad players and required when needed. You can't play them all.

We also have a policy now, of finding players that fit in with our ethos. Tomlin was a gamble....he didn't fit in with that ethos. You want them all singing off the same hymn sheet. Of course some will get frustrated...but that happens at all football clubs. You can't please every player when they aren't playing regular football...but you still need them in your squad.

What is a 'bigger profile player'....someone like Tomlin who thinks he's better than what he is, or someone like Tammy, who's on far more wages, has a level head, more mature, and actually has the talent to back up his 'profile'?

Some of these 'Bigger profile players' which I think you are alluding too, are stealing a living in this division, and offer nothing apart from promises and mediocre performances once they have signed their new lucrative contract.

Better off having young hungry players, that want to improve and give their all....even if their incentive is to move on to bigger things.

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Frank Fielding said that he is the most talented player we have at the club on Monday night, as did Marlon Pack in the BBC Radio Bristol Forum.

Joe is a seriously good player and could definitely play in the premiership, there aren't many other left backs who can run at defenders, cross the ball with both feet, and also defend. Add to the fact he's still young and English and I can see why premiership clubs are looking at him

I really think players agents should be barred from this site

Back to stats.

Of course complied stats are useful, however they are all based on what should be the positive side of performance.

Where does that leave actual performance in a game, does it count for instance, half hearted challenges/rash challenges, not getting close enough to his man, being out of position, not getting an adequate block in, losing a runner or ducking out of a header?.

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Back to stats.

Of course complied stats are useful, however they are all based on what should be the positive side of performance.

Where does that leave actual performance in a game, does it count for instance, half hearted challenges/rash challenges, not getting close enough to his man, being out of position, not getting an adequate block in, losing a runner oor ducking out of a header?.

Statistics are not all based on the positive side of performances. It is quite normal for players to receive varying forms of performance review. The models are endless. What can be reviewed is endless.

Where does that leave actual performance in a game, does it count for instance, half hearted challenges/rash challenges, not getting close enough to his man, being out of position, not getting an adequate block in, losing a runner or ducking out of a header?.

Absolutely if that is the intent of the analysis. The above as data or clips can be downloaded straight to an individuals players I pad, tablet or as a dvd which the player will watch alongside coaching staff. It is not unusual and occurs from academy level upwards at some clubs.

21 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Back to stats.

many of the companies clubs use and in the in club facilities have stats on every action in a match (1200???) from multi camera views. every touch and challenge and can be broken down using those cameras for everything a player like Joe Bryan does.

this might be why Lee Johnson mentioned drones once.

5 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

many of the companies clubs use and in the in club facilities have stats on every action in a match (1200???) from multi camera views. every touch and challenge and can be broken down using those cameras for everything a player like Joe Bryan does.

this might be why Lee Johnson mentioned drones once.

OMG LJ and drones, perish the thought.

Archived