IGNORED

Commuting Into Bristol

SARJ

Interesting story on the Post today about a woman moving house because she hates the commute into Bristol from Portishead: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/portishead-woman-says-journey-work-642597

Anybody on the forum commute in from outside the City? What's your experiences?

Before anyone begins to slag off this woman, as somebody who previously lived in Pill (on the same bus route as Portishead) I can completely back up her accounts of the bus service being beyond shocking. Waiting over an hour for a bus was a regular occurence and it was the most unreliable service ever. As a result I saved and purchased in BS3 and now love my 20min walk to work each morning with no hassle whatsoever!

11 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Interesting story on the Post today about a woman moving house because she hates the commute into Bristol from Portishead: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/portishead-woman-says-journey-work-642597

Before anyone begins to slag off this woman, as somebody who previously lived in Pill (on the same bus route as Portishead) I can completely back up her accounts of the bus service being beyond shocking. Waiting over an hour for a bus was a regular occurence and it was the most unreliable service ever. As a result I saved and purchased in BS3 and now love my 20min walk to work each morning with no hassle whatsoever!

Me,

she could walk 5 minutes down the road and both the x3 and x4 pass the bus stop at sheepway,

as a regular user of the bus I can say she is full of shit, normally 5 minutes late but not an hour,

Coming home again however, thats completely different, 

But some questions for said women, if she was an hour late every day, why not just catch an earlier bus?

I commute from Portishead to BS3 when working in office. I’d agree the A369 is a clusterf*** these day and for that reason I always endeavour to leave home by 7:20 in morning and always go Naish Hill/Failand/Clarkencombe route. I can sympathise because if I leave at 7:20 I’ll be in by 8 but leave at 7:30-7:45 and it can easily be an hour 

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

That X4 Bus! Makes my blood boil. 

My advice to anyone like this is buy a scooter. Cheap to run and you don't sit in as much traffic.

When I actually drove to work, I had to leave Headley Park by 7:30 to get to Easton by 8. If I left even 10 minutes later it would take me an hour to get to work. 

I now regularly have to commute from my house to Clevedon during rush hour, and that takes about 45 minutes. 

Plus if I go to the blokes house out Yate way, and need to get home any time close to rush hour, the traffic by Bromley Heath and then temple meads is so ridiculous cos of the roadworks, I end up driving a very long winded route of M32/M4/M5/get off at Portishead and then back into Bristol to get home, just so I don’t have to sit in traffic. 

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Me,

she could walk 5 minutes down the road and both the x3 and x4 pass the bus stop at sheepway,

as a regular user of the bus I can say she is full of shit, normally 5 minutes late but not an hour,

Coming home again however, thats completely different, 

But some questions for said women, if she was an hour late every day, why not just catch an earlier bus?

Things must have changed! When I lived in Pill years ago the Portishead busses were the 359, 358 & X3. These were constantly late and unreliable and I do believe what the lady says about them being an hour late as I regularly experienced this. Sometimes the bus just didn't show up at all.

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

That X4 Bus! Makes my blood boil. 

My advice to anyone like this is buy a scooter. Cheap to run and you don't sit in as much traffic.

See! This guy knows hahahaha, so glad I don't have the commute anymore.

19 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

My car commute from Oldland Common is pretty hassle free other than Crews Hole Rd which is a PITA, but I don't go all the way to the centre (only as far as near Temple Meads) 

Is Crews Hole one way these days? or was that just for a short while whilst they were doing some work? One of the worst roads in Bristol.

12 minutes ago, Super said:

Is Crews Hole one way these days? or was that just for a short while whilst they were doing some work? One of the worst roads in Bristol.

It's not, almost went into someone at around midnight the other night going down it as they were doing 30 in the opposite direction at that corner where you can't really judge who's there

I commute from Weston to work in Portishead, although that's at 4/4:30am its clear sailing.

Its going home after work thats the problem for me, I finish around 8:30/9am and sometimes even earlier. Its when I finish early around half 8am the Queue goes from J19 all the way down the A369 taking me at least 20/25 minutes just to reach the Motorway. I have on occasion taken the back road to Clevedon but found that just as bad coming up to the mini roundabout and then up Northern Way road to the Motorway.

My office was based in Clifton Village and I used to drive in from Nailsea up Beimont Hill and along Beggar Bush Lane and then over the Suspension Bridge.  

I used to leave at 8am and hit the traffic along Beggar Bush, often tailed back to Clifton Golf Club. Sometimes I didn't get it untill after 9.15am.

Then....one morning I overslept and didn't leave until 8.40am. Having a 9.30am appointment I was stressed that I'd be late. Much to my surprise I met no tailbacks and reached the lights without a delay. Over the bridge and in by 9.10am.

From then on I left around the same time every time I was in the office.

19 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

When I actually drove to work, I had to leave Headley Park by 7:30 to get to Easton by 8. If I left even 10 minutes later it would take me an hour to get to work. 

I now regularly have to commute from my house to Clevedon during rush hour, and that takes about 45 minutes. 

Plus if I go to the blokes house out Yate way, and need to get home any time close to rush hour, the traffic by Bromley Heath and then temple meads is so ridiculous cos of the roadworks, I end up driving a very long winded route of M32/M4/M5/get off at Portishead and then back into Bristol to get home, just so I don’t have to sit in traffic. 

Not really any of my business, but, Umm, is @BigTone aware of this :whistle: ?

Commuting is one of those things I hope I never have to deal with for the rest of my life: After 8 or 9 years of working from home, I finally now have office space that is less than a mile up the road from my house. I have never had to deal with Bristol traffic, but when in London my journey was 1-1.5 hours each way on a good day, 2+ if there were strikes, bomb scares etc.

Your various stories simply reinforce my intention to stay in this bubble.

• Admin

Bristol deals with its traffic issues like every other - incompetently.  I have to have a wry smile to myself when seeing the signs preceding yet more ******* roadworks;  ‘Apologies for any delay to your journey whilst we make improvements’.  Knowing that whatever ‘lmprovements’ they are making will inevitably reduce traffic flow, by road narrowing, adding pointless cycle lanes to dual carriageways and reducing them to single carriage ways, bus lanes that aren’t 24 hour, but 95% of numpties driving don’t realise you can use bus lanes outside of the restricted hours.

The road that leads to my road has had its width at the junction with the main road narrowed, now if you are sat there waiting to turn right, a bus coming along to turn left can’t get round - more traffic congestion, more pollution and certainly no safer than the junction was when it was nice and wide.  I can’t believe that there is an office full of moronic cretins actually getting paid to design and implement this shit.

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 15:31, Dollymarie said:

Plus if *I go to the blokes house out Yate way, and need to get home any time close to rush hour, the traffic by Bromley Heath and then temple meads is so ridiculous cos of the roadworks, I end up driving a very long winded route of M32/M4/M5/get off at Portishead and then back into Bristol to get home, just so I don’t have to sit in traffic. 

*I go to the blokes house out Yate way, .... :shocking:

Wait til @BigTone see's this!!

** EDIT.... oops I'm too late :facepalm:,  ... looks like the schits already hit the fan - DM you floozy!

Live in Gloucester and work in Thornbury, only a 20-30 minute drive when the M5 is open :grr:

Even down the A38 it takes about 30-40 mins. 

People at work live in Bradley Stoke/Stoke Gifford and it takes close to an hour despite being 10 miles closer. 

Bristol must be the only City where it isn’t just the City centre that’s at standstill in Rushour it’s the whole fu**ing City. 

Archived