IGNORED

Palace on Tuesday

wendyredredrobin

Team will depend on injuries but maybe Luke Steele in goal and Pisano to return. Will Maggers get a start at LB or in the centre? Really missed Baker on Sat, so hope he is fit. Bailey looks like he could do with a rest. Might Vyner or Kelly get a start?

Really missed Patto, but he won't be strong enough to return, Eliason and Leko have no end product, but will have to play one of them with COD onthe other side of Brownhill and Pack. 

Up front, is Milan ready to return? Otherwise, Will Taylor's nose keep him out? Leaves us with achoice of Fam or Woodrow.

What Palace fomation will we have to counter?

Was feeling really confident for this one until Woy took over at Palarce and wehad 2 poor games v Burton and Leeds.

Still looking forward to the game now and predicting a penalty shoot out.

This might seem a contraversial statement but I'm not too bothered about the Palace game. To me it's a game City could do without given the current crop of injuries. The Championship is what really matters and a weeks rest would have helped recovery for enitire squad.

That said, having a game so quickly after the Leeds defeat gives the players another opportunity to prove that yesterday was just a one off under par performance and be determined to put things right.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

This might seem a contraversial statement but I'm not too bothered about the Palace game. To me it's a game City could do without given the current crop of injuries. The Championship is what really matters and a weeks rest would have helped recovery for enitire squad.

That said, having a game so quickly after the Leeds defeat gives the players another opportunity to prove that yesterday was just a one off under par performance and be determined to put things right.

Nice one to win but I won't be committing suicide if we lose either.  Could be good to restore some confidence that's all.

I think that if we had beaten Leeds the Palace game would have had more of an edge to it but still can't understand why people don't care about the cup in general.If we play well and win the game surely that puts a bit of confidence back into the squad that was second best to Leeds all over the pitch yesterday.

Woodrow,Leko not available.
Baker injured , as I guess is Korey.
Taylor will be available in as much as no suspension until hearing, but if his nose is broken I doubt he'll be risked.
Not sure if we picked up any other injuries yesterday , or if Đurić is fit enough of 90 but it narrows options.

Steele
Pisano/Vyner Flint Mags Kelly
Eliasson Pack Oniel/Brownhill Patterson/ODowda
            Đurić/FD       Reid
That's about all our options

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Taylor will be available in as much as no suspension until hearing, but if his nose is broken I doubt he'll be risked.
Not sure if we picked up any other injuries yesterday , or if Đurić is fit enough of 90 but it narrows options.

Steele
            Đurić/FD       Reid

No Wright? O'neill not fit. Đurić not ready?

Just don't understand the ambivalence towards this game. There's a quarter final place at stake. With the teams remaining in the draw there's a high probability of a game against a really big club - or alternatively a highly winnable game with the prospect of a place in the semis.

I'm 34 and can't remember us reaching the latter stages of a cup competition (JPT aside). I'm excited by this game.

I'd guess as the following starting team:

Steele
Vyner Flint Wright Magnússon
O'Dowda Brownhill Pack Eliasson
Reid Diedhiou

Definites for me from that are in bold.  The others will be decided by injuries/illness/tiredness and a couple of tactical decisions.

* If Pisano is back he could play instead of Vyner, as could Wright if LJ decides to put Magnússon in the centre with Flint.  I'd be very surprised if Flint, Wright and Mags aren't all in the starting 11 though.  Bryan is one that could start but I'd also imagine it could be seen as an opportunity to rest him, likely with Mags swapping at left back (although Kelly is an outsider for a start).

* If Paterson is well enough, I'd think he'd come back in immediately which would mean one of O'Dowda and Eliasson being on the bench (probably Eliasson, although he did quite well in he last cup game against Stoke).  I think they'll both start anyway and Pato will still be out, or a token sub at best.

* The front two pretty much pick themselves presuming Đurić is still out, and Taylor is suspended.  I'd say we could try with only one up front but it's not like we have any other midfield options either so it's not like we can bulk that out instead.

Our squad looked pretty big a few weeks ago but all of a sudden it seems very stretched.  First time in a while we've had so many key injuries, which is a shame but was inevitable at some point.

Think we will be well short of numbers but should try to turn this to our advantage, playing as similar a side we can to the one that will then face Sunderland.

Pisano seems to be taking an age to return so I doubt we will see him. No Baker, Paterson, Leko or Woodrow, either.

If Smith is still out & Taylor is banned there will have to be a couple of unfamiliar faces on the bench.

My guess would be:

Steele, Vyner, Flint, Wright, Hörður, O'Dowda, Pack, Brownhill, Bryan, Reid, Diedhiou.

Bench will include Frankie, Kelly, Eliasson, Hegeler & Đurić, beyond that it will be anyone who declares themselves fit or isn't banned.

15 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Steele
            Đurić/FD       Reid

Wright, Bryan??  O'Neil out injured. Not sure broken nose will mean Taylor can't play, would have been good to see him start alongside Fammy or Milan.

15 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Just don't understand the ambivalence towards this game. There's a quarter final place at stake. With the teams remaining in the draw there's a high probability of a game against a really big club - or alternatively a highly winnable game with the prospect of a place in the semis.

I'm 34 and can't remember us reaching the latter stages of a cup competition (JPT aside). I'm excited by this game.

I don’t understand it from the point of view that we have played poorly in our last 2 games, maybe 3 - the quicker we hit form again and avoid more talk of last season repeating itself the better.

This is an important game for team and fan morale and a good performance is vital, a win or draw in 90 minutes will definitely be a welcome bonus !!

12 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Time for Arnie

I don’t think it’s a totally unrealistic suggestion.. with Taylor probably out, Đurić not match fit (I expect he’ll be on the bench though) and Woodrow cup tied I think he’s got a reasonable chance at making the squad.

The ‘French connection’ with Diedhiou will help.

Not bothered by it to be honest. Play some young players who need a game. Rest those that need it. 

Steele

Vyner Flint Magnússon Kelly

COD Pack Brownhill Eliasson

Taylor(appeal won) Fam

Fielding, Bryan, Wright, Milan, Hegeler, Reid, Paterson(if fit) or maybe a young player like Opi Edwards and Garita if Milan and Pato not ready. Can Downing feature for us being he's on loan to conference? We are truly short on central midfielders and can't rest anyone. Need to sort that in January. Would love Morrell to stay on loan at Cheltenham but he needs to come back in January unless we buy someone. 

7 minutes ago, cpfc123 said:

Roy says we are going to rotate but play a strong side on Tuesday. I'd expect players like Loftus-Cheek, Riedewald, Puncheon, Sako, Kaikai to play (we have no strikers). We never get anything at your place so good luck in the next round :sad26:

Don't come in here with your reverse psychology. We're not stupid, mostly, though there are one or two .

On a serious note , have you improved under Hodgson ? 

24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think he has 3 or 4 goals in his last 5 U23 games, with our lack of numbers he is definitely an option for the bench.

The pathway philosophy of allowing young players a route to the first team if they earn it means he probably should be on the bench given our lack of options.

We don't have many forward options for Tuesday - Diedhiou, Reid (who played 90 mins) and Đurić (who's still gaining match fitness). We're a bit light there in the short term.

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

No Wright? O'neill not fit. Đurić not ready?

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Wright, Bryan??  O'Neil out injured. Not sure broken nose will mean Taylor can't play, would have been good to see him start alongside Fammy or Milan.

Bryan and Wright , and I'm only guessing going on the last couple of rounds, could well be rested. We have 2 young lads around the first team that are touted as the future. May be too much to play them both, specially if they play a strong team, Zaha etc. Đurić played in the U23's I believe so may be close, but who knows , they keep their cards close to their chest these days.

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Don't come in here with your reverse psychology. We're not stupid, mostly, though there are one or two .

On a serious note , have you improved under Hodgson ? 

Sort of. More solid at the back but we still can't score. Set pieces are a massive weakness of ours. 

Archived