IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Crystal Palace FC in the Carabao Cup match day thread 13

Septic Peg

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Agree with everything apart from this - I thought tonight showed absolutely everything about why Magnússon isn’t a left back, and if their tricky no 26(?) could have crossed the ball or hit a cows arse with a banjo they could (should?) have been 2 or 3 up before we got into the game.

He was so much more comfortable at CB once Paterson came on and Joe went to LB. 

Don’t want to sound negative at all because it was an absolutely superb team performance, and I’m elated, but for me he is absolutely not a full back. 

Couldnt agree more. Looked all over the place at LB. At least Lee learnt a lot more about his squad tonight. The last two games have been invaluable for the season going forward.

10 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

We all see it differently Es, funny old game and all that. Agree wholeheartedly on Wright and Hegeler, though I think Bailey has done about the best job you could expect for a centre back playing as a makeshift full back. 

The strange thing is if you watch the game again, during the first half the vast majority of danger came down Pisano’s side and Sako was the danger, 2nd half it came mainly down Magnússon’s side and I think he coped well, all of Palarses best chances came in the first half, they looked a beaten team for most of the 2nd half and created little or nothing, that’s the way I saw it.

... did anyone else notice one of the Palace players (Papa Soare, who last year was almost killed in a car crash and is only now returning to the first team squad) go to their supporters and throw them his shirt which they promptly threw back onto the pitch! The player, with a teammate had to sheepishly, walk back, pick it up and take it with him off of the field!

Those Eagles ain't happy. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

12 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

... did anyone else notice one of the Palace players (Papa Soare, who last year was almost killed in a car crash and is only now returning to the first team squad) go to their supporters and throw them his shirt which they promptly threw back onto the pitch! The player, with a teammate had to sheepishly, walk back, pick it up and take it with him off of the field!

Evidently it was too late at that stage for anyone in the crowd to come on and do a lot better so the gesture was futile.

10 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Had a quick look at their forum last night. This it seems caused a lot of anger amongst the fans, as much as the result. 

17 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The strange thing is if you watch the game again, during the first half the vast majority of danger came down Pisano’s side and Sako was the danger, 2nd half it came mainly down Magnússon’s side and I think he coped well, all of Palarses best chances came in the first half, they looked a beaten team for most of the 2nd half and created little or nothing, that’s the way I saw it.

I must admit I was watching Mags especially closely as I really wanted to see what I thought of him as a full back. 

I thought his decision making with the ball was pretty poor - kept sending long balls when Bryan came short and then on the rare occasion when someone peeled off and it was crying out for ge long ball, he didn’t see it and went short. 

Positionally he was all over the place, with Bryan bailing him out three or four times when he got caught out chasing lost causes and somehow ended up in central midfield. 

Just to be clear, I like Hörður and think he’s a useful squad player. But he’s a centre back through and through on what I’ve seen  

IMO the modern full back role is probably one of if not the most demanding position - it’s an unforgiving role where mistakes often lead to direct chances and needs a real balance of offensive and defensive qualities. 

It’s not a slight on Mags when I say he doesn’t look comfortable there, and in fairness when the competition is JB most in this league would come off second best. 

9 hours ago, Up The City! said:

My brief review of the game...

Palace came out of the blocks flying, obviously keen to impress and make a stake for the 1st team. They were spured on by some of the best away support i have ever witnessed at Ashton Gate.

They played the sort of football we've come to expect from us. We were shocked by how good they were and I feel we gave them far too much respect in the early part of the game. 

It was only a matter of time before they scored and it came as no surprise when they did, but scoring was actually their down fall as it gave us a reality check and we started to get into the game more.

Fammys injury was regrettable as it was his own doing. He tried to hard to win the ball near the half way line, climbed over a player and landed awkwardly on his knee. This enforced change gave us a different dimension and turned into a blessing with MD sheer presence causing Palace problems. 

Mags made a exquisite cross field ball onto the head of MD and his header caused Van Aaanholt all sorts of problems and he headed it into the path of Matty Taylor and from there on in there was only going to be one winner. Palace lost confidence and also tired and we took full advantage and we're back to our best.

That's a very good write up. Palace started very well and I couldn't believe they have struggled to score, feared the worse for a while as we seemed to be passing it well but they were much better, quick and slick but not much of an end product as our patience got the better of them.

Diedhieu had done well before his injury, but Duric came on and did so much better. I had forgotten what he was all about, in fact I don't think I've seen him play as well as he did last night. He certainly suited Taylor and suddenly we were looking at a new strike force, and certainly one not to be ignored. Couldn't believe it when it was half time, that half went by in a flash which is always the deign of a good game. 

As for losing confidence I've never seen it drain so quickly from a team as that. Our keeper made a couple of saves, that has to be said but from the moment we went ahead there was only one winner. They tried a few stepovers but that is all they had. Chants of 'sacked in the morning rang out' and their once really vocal supporters had long been silenced. 

24 minutes ago, phantom said:

I see you saw the tweet too 

No, I don't do Twitter. I txted a Palace supporting mate of mine as it happened and he responded this morning telling me the name of the player and of his near death experience last year. I didn't know the name of the player involved at the time because, well, he wasn't wearing a shirt!

17 hours ago, Glastonbury Red said:

Funnily enough, I worked there myself till a few years back. I used to keep the directions written down for them in my wallet when they turn up. Lots of mopeds learning the knowledge too.

And I am having a very enjoyable day at work in Crystal Palace, though most of my colleagues seem to be trying to avoid me for some reason............

4 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

And I am having a very enjoyable day at work in Crystal Palace, though most of my colleagues seem to be trying to avoid me for some reason............

I live down near Croydon, looking forward to seeing several Palarse supporting mates this evening after telling them for weeks we'd stick at least three past them...

• Admin
4 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

No, I don't do Twitter. I txted a Palace supporting mate of mine as it happened and he responded this morning telling me the name of the player and of his near death experience last year. I didn't know the name of the player involved at the time because, well, he wasn't wearing a shirt!

@Rudolf Hucker Their own fans are not too happy about their supporters actions

https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=169234

1 hour ago, Grey Fox said:

I did 15 years in Penge, whilst working at the Athletics stadium. Fair to say, a few of the lads I’ve not spoken to in a while got some stick from me last night. 

I txted my Palace supporting mate at HT to tell him how the Palace LB had gifted us the first goal, to which he replied "Patrick Van Aanholt is an anagram of what a f'kin waste of money". Well, I've gone through the letters of his name many times today and I think he's wrong (although it's true, PVA is a f'kin waste of money).

24 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I txted my Palace supporting mate at HT to tell him how the Palace LB had gifted us the first goal, to which he replied "Patrick Van Aanholt is an anagram of what a f'kin waste of money". Well, I've gone through the letters of his name many times today and I think he's wrong (although it's true, PVA is a f'kin waste of money).

Proof that PVA can't stick to our Snake.

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Aw gee . Thanks Owl . 

:hug:

( nice that supporters of smaller , less successful clubs take the time to come on OTIB . :innocent06:

We've been dining out on our 1991 league cup win for the last 25 years, people knock it as a competition but it becomes exciting when you get into the later rounds. I remember us making the semis around 2002, played Blackburn over the 2 legs and they'd just signed Andy Cole. Took him about 10 minutes to get off the mark. 

21 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

We've been dining out on our 1991 league cup win for the last 25 years, people knock it as a competition but it becomes exciting when you get into the later rounds. I remember us making the semis around 2002, played Blackburn over the 2 legs and they'd just signed Andy Cole. Took him about 10 minutes to get off the mark. 

What's going on with your lot Owl. Strange start to the season.

Archived