IGNORED

Cardiff Attendance

GAS8R

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

Oh behave. I hate this attitude. Football is too expensive mate, your deluded if you think otherwise. 30 to 40 quid to watch second tier football is not on.

Yet crowds are higher than they have been for the last 40 years. So, from a business point of view, you are wrong on 2 levels. 

1) Prices are UP TO those amounts. There are cheaper options. 

2) More people appear prepared to pay today’s prices, than they were at cheaper priced times during the last 4 decades. 

6 minutes ago, bris red said:

Everything in football is too expensive. Why shouldn't the 'incentive' to be to lower players wages? Instead of fleecing fans for more and more money? . As i said 40 quid to watch BCFC?..Its scandalous.

Yes football is expensive and players wages are obscene IMO but that wont change until one of the big clubs go bust, and that wont happen anytime soon. Just as a point of interest, how many City games do you get to watch in a season?

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yet crowds are higher than they have been for the last 40 years. So, from a business point of view, you are wrong on 2 levels. 

1) Prices are UP TO those amounts. There are cheaper options. 

2) More people appear prepared to pay today’s prices, than they were at cheaper priced times during the last 4 decades. 

You can argue the increased capacity has playerd a part. We could have in my opinion reached these crowds under Gary Johnson but capacity dictated. That is another argument though..

6 minutes ago, bris red said:

Everything in football is too expensive. Why shouldn't the 'incentive' to be to lower players wages? Instead of fleecing fans for more and more money? . As i said 40 quid to watch BCFC?..Its scandalous.

Why don’t West End shows have “stars” picked from the local drama club? Because people pay more to see better performers. Offer them less money and they will perform elsewhere. 

Nobody has to pay £40 to watch City unless THEY choose to do so. 

Anyone who goes to more than a few games a season can watch the Cardiff game for less than £29 & the Preston game for less than £24. 

For those who can/do commit to a ticket for every game, they get in for less than £16!

The options are there for EVERYONE. You can’t just pick a top priced ticket, for a one off attendee, as an example and state that “all prices are to high”

Oh, and for the record... my Thatchers Gold at the ground costs less that it does at my local pub. So again, you are wrong. 

8 minutes ago, bris red said:

You can argue the increased capacity has playerd a part. We could have in my opinion reached these crowds under Gary Johnson but capacity dictated. That is another argument though..

You mean the season that we only had 4 matches with a 19K+ attendance..? 

With a season average of 16,275..?

55 minutes ago, Spoons said:

For me the incentive should always be to make season tickets cheaper not to make POTD prices cheaper.

Wasn't saying that shouldn't be the case, talking about POTD only which is high.

47 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Everyone would love £20 POTD prices, but it doesn’t stack up financially. Also, the kick on effects on season ticket pricing just wouldn’t add up. 

If someone isn’t interested to the point that a membership is worthwhile, then really, for 2-3 games a season, does the difference between £25/30 or even £40 really bother them for such an infrequent day out..? 

I would really pay less to see the 5/10 game flexi-tickets introduced for those that can’t commit to a season ticket, but know they will be going to at least a decent percentage of games. 

Sell them at say a £5 per game premium in ST prices and they can then allocate them to the matches that they can attend (subjust to availability) No fixed seat, obviously. 

I’m not a fan of the “Gold & Silver” categories. It’s not a supporters fault if their team is deemed “attractive” or less so. Set a price and for lesser games, maybe offer a deal to sweeten the deal.  

People who, for whatever reason, are only going to come along once or twice a season, really shouldn’t moan about ticket prices, and the rest of us rarely have to pay the figures that are usually quoted to illustrate that they are too high. 

In fairness, £23 for the south stand isn't too bad and ST prices are good overall.

Yeah I like the flexi-ticket idea.

In an ideal world I'd like to see tickets capped at an acceptable level, but we're a long way off that happening.

3 minutes ago, husshen said:

Struggling to get 20k for a local derby when we're in the play-off zone is poor.

Is it though? 4 years ago we were struggling to get 10k, it's at midday and prices are high which will put people off.

still reckon we can get 20k which shows completely how far we have come in the last few years

24 minutes ago, husshen said:

Struggling to get 20k for a local derby when we're in the play-off zone is poor.

Being made to play at 12.00 Noon is poor and restrictive, exactly what Avon and somerset wanted will happen. A crowd under 22,000.

Im hearing less than 2,000 Cardiff fans as well.

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Because if we manage to lower the season ticket prices it makes going to football all the more affordable.

I sit in the most expensive block in the dolman and it works out £19 a game for my season ticket excellent value .

Agreed with players wages etc , unfortunately I fear they will get higher before the bubble will finally burst.

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Not really. We only got over 19k 4 times. 

people would of been put off by not being able to but blocks together back then, it was a common theme on here when people were looking for 3 or 4 tickets together, and not being able to get them,

While we were riding high, the crowds would of been similar to what they are today for that one season only to drop off when we struggled, its natural 

People would of come to see the winning team of 2007, if we are pushing for automatics come feb/march watch our crowds increase in size again, (with we don't get screwed y kick off times)

anyway anything over 18k is good, I remember when we'd struggle to get 11k for this fixture

Cardiff got under 18,500 on Saturday who are arguably enjoying their best season for a few years, in the capital of a very busy city with alot of enthusiasm for the game. If we are unhappy with scraping with 20k on a Saturday lunchtime, I think it just goes to show how far we have come. We have attracted an extra 7000 fans in the last few years, it should be celebrated and if we continue with the progress we can really establish our self as a good championship club, should help attract more players in the summer too. 

8 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Won't be near a sell out as adult tickets for non-members start at £33. A ticket in the stand that Steve Lansdown named after himself will also set you back £41 so the chances of anyone rocking up on the day at those prices are minimal.

What utter bollocks to seemingly moan about naming the stand after himself (and I’m not his biggest fan btw) or about the price of tickets.

Ok so it’ll feed the Bristol Sport cash cow for Lansdown but it’s not as if we’re doing shit at the moment, neither are Cardiff and it’s the local derby.

We’d pay that and more when we get to the promised land so why not now?

Me and the kiddos will be there - much to the upset of the ex-wife. She never got over the Murray Ninian Park shenanigans 

:blink:

Taking the debate a bit off pricing. I buy tickets in the week before and have struggled to get anything decent and a few times haven't bothered because the only ones available were in the front couple of rows.

Now I know its my fault for not committing earlier but it is frustrating that the best stand in the ground for view etc is half closed. I wonder if more people would go if they could get better seats?

Does anyone know when the upper lansdown will be open full time and season tickets available in there?

While enough will and can pay the prices nothing will change.

I don't think much of £40 for 2nd tier game but then is a very good match.

On the other hand my Roma-Inter game cost £42 which frankly is a higher level and better value...

All but the blinkered will see that objectively English football is surely quite over priced...it's fairly nuts a lot of it but while people can pay they will.

You see what @Bar BS3 and some others neglect to look at- and please don't take this as a criticism of the club, they are doing what they have to do to compete in this era of English football.

Basically lots and lots of people have been priced out since late 90s, perhaps since beginning of PL era. Hence why English crowds are and have been aging quite significantly since.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

While enough will and can pay the prices nothing will change.

I don't think much of £40 for 2nd tier game but then is a very good match.

On the other hand my Roma-Inter game cost £42 which frankly is a higher level and better value...

All but the blinkered will see that objectively English football is surely quite over priced...it's fairly nuts a lot of it but while people can pay they will.

You see what @Bar BS3 and some others neglect to look at- and please don't take this as a criticism of the club, they are doing what they have to do to compete in this era of English football.

Basically lots and lots of people have been priced out since late 90s, perhaps since beginning of PL era. Hence why English crowds are and have been aging quite significantly since.

The prices for younger (upto 25) are more attractive. So I don’t think that explains the ageing crowds. 

7 hours ago, marmite said:

Point is its not 30 to 40 quid a game if you get a season ticket.

That’s fine, it’s a fair point for the 13k who have season tickets.

The other 20-30k City fans who have other commitments at weekends are clearly saying the prices are too high when they are able to get to games though. I have commitments with non league football on Saturdays now, I’m limited to occasionaly getting to AG, As our my two lads. 

Often it’s a case of not knowing till the last moment whether we can get to a game, and I can ‘assure’ you that the potd prices are a total turn off. I’m not a fairweather fan, nor are my lads, we all had ST’s for years and I’ve personally been going since 1976. The prices for those of us who can’t go regularly are far to high. If my lads games were called off on Friday, there is no way in the world I could stump up the near £100 for the 3 of us to go to the Cardiff game.

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

That’s fine, it’s a fair point for the 13k who have season tickets.

The other 20-30k City fans who have other commitments at weekends are clearly saying the prices are too high when they are able to get to games though. I have commitments with non league football on Saturdays now, I’m limited to occasionaly getting to AG, As our my two lads. 

Often it’s a case of not knowing till the last moment whether we can get to a game, and I can ‘assure’ you that the potd prices are a total turn off. I’m not a fairweather fan, nor are my lads, we all had ST’s for years and I’ve personally been going since 1976. The prices for those of us who can’t go regularly are far to high. If my lads games were called off on Friday, there is no way in the world I could stump up the near £100 for the 3 of us to go to the Cardiff game.

Fair point Bill but what would you say was acceptable price to pay without being unfair to ST holders?

25 minutes ago, marmite said:

Fair point Bill but what would you say was acceptable price to pay without being unfair to ST holders?

All I can say, is that in all my years of being a ST holder I never worried about what others were paying. All I wanted ( want) is for the ground to be as full as it could possibly be. You buy a ST because it guarantees you the seat and area of the ground you want to sit in. Plus the added guarantee of priority for cup tickets etc.

We have a ground that holds 27k, we have 13k ST holders, 2-3k members and usually 2-3K away fans. So there are still always 7-8k empty seats. The current potd prices are not attracting the extra fans required to fill the ground, that’s a fact. 

Sometimes when I read this forum, I do wonder if some ST holders would be happy if it was just them ( the 13k ) and 3k away fans. Some ST holders seem to feel that they have the high moral ground simply because of holding a ST, believe me there are a lot of us who would love to be in two places at once on a Saturday PM, we can’t do it though!.

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

All I can say, is that in all my years of being a ST holder I never worried about what others were paying. All I wanted ( want) is for the ground to be as full as it could possibly be. You buy a ST because it guarantees you the seat and area of the ground you want to sit in. Plus the added guarantee of priority for cup tickets etc.

We have a ground that holds 27k, we have 13k ST holders, 2-3k members and usually 2-3K away fans. So there are still always 7-8k empty seats. The current potd prices are not attracting the extra fans required to fill the ground, that’s a fact. 

Sometimes when I read this forum, I do wonder if some ST holders would be happy if it was just them ( the 13k ) and 3k away fans. Some ST holders seem to feel that they have the high moral ground simply because of holding a ST, believe me there are a lot of us who would love to be in two places at once on a Saturday PM, we can’t do it though!.

But then you don’t go when you can..?!

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

This pretty much sums it up for me. I like you Bill over the years when i was a season ticket holder never cared for POTD prices.. aslong as Ashton Gate was full and people weren't being priced out. 

For me we shouldn't be charging anything over 25£ for an adult rocking up on the day to watch Championship football regardless of category of opposition. Me and my mate payed 33£ to watch Leeds. Too much in my humble opinion.

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

I usually don’t know if I can go until on the day, or the day before a game, then I realise I can’t afford to pay the high prices. 

I appreciate that you think the potd prices are fine, I actually think they aren’t!

You didn’t answer the other posters question though. How much do you think it should cost, realistically.  

If you can suddenly make it on Saturday, how much would get you typing your card details into the ticket page on the website? 

A season ticket is purchased to guarantee your seat / attendance and give priority for away / cup tickets. It should rightly come at a 'deal' but certainly not near half the price of a POTD. 

A £300 season ticket is roughly £13 per game. POTD should be £18. 

A £350 season ticket is roughly £15 per game. POTD should be £20. 

A £400 season ticket is roughly £17 per game. POTD should be £22. 

A £450 season ticket is roughly £20 per game. POTD should be £25. 

Basically £5 saving per game for having a ST (£115 saving over a season). 

Prices are fantastic for season tickets but astonishing for POTD. The differential should not be so vast. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

A season ticket is purchased to guarantee your seat / attendance and give priority for away / cup tickets. It should rightly come at a 'deal' but certainly not near half the price of a POTD. 

A £300 season ticket is roughly £13 per game. POTD should be £18. 

A £350 season ticket is roughly £15 per game. POTD should be £20. 

A £400 season ticket is roughly £17 per game. POTD should be £22. 

A £450 season ticket is roughly £20 per game. POTD should be £25. 

Basically £5 saving per game for having a ST (£115 saving over a season). 

Prices are fantastic for season tickets but astonishing for POTD. The differential should not be so vast. 

I think you need a bigger difference, especially to allow for membership. 

ST price plus £5 for members & plus £10 for POTD would sound about right. 

£27 for a POTD seat in the Dolman & isn’t extortionate. 

Definitely scrap the the match grading though and have one price for all games. 

Archived