IGNORED

Jan Window: Biggest threat or biggest opportunity?

Marina's Rolls Royce

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

The reason we are where we are now is good planning.

We are not having a good season because of the last summer transfer window, it’s been three windows and more in the making. A culmination of developing existing players and integrating new ones.

With that in mind, we won’t be on a massive spending spree in January - it’s going to be a few players here and there that add to the foundation already laid. 

We may have a new transfer record in February, but anyone expecting millions splashed and several new players will probably be disappointed.

The reason we are where we are now is that our owner's judgement was far more astute than most fans gave him credit for when the chips were really down. 

Flints head was turned by Birmingham's interest. I wonder if a Prem team like W.B.A ,Newcastle Stoke or Southampton came calling he would be more than interested in leaving. Unfortunately the more publicity we get,the more interesting our players will look to potential buyers . Especially nearing the end of the january window. Some clubs will go into panic mode in order to secure their very lucrative Prem Money. The amount of TV coverage we are getting can also act as a double edged sword. Good for supporters and also good for scouts and managers. 

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I agree to a point but to be honest we 'panicked' in relation to quality as well, again apart from Bailey Wright, I like Taylor but to be honest the jury is firmly still out for me, Giefer was never good enough, Hegeler is no better than anything that we already had and we all know what happened to Cotterill.

Of course times were totally different and we needed numbers and cover, this time around yes we have injuries but we also have a far better product to offer potential signings, so hopefully we can attract more from the top of our list rather than those closer to the bottom.

We did by Milan in January too didn`t we?

Really good post and food for thought!

The club are a million times more attractive for players than we were in 2008 so am pretty confident the calibre of player we are able to attract will mirror this.

i am fairly sure that SL will put up his “Not for sale” sign regards our first team players and not break up the happy camp that has got us in such a great position for a push for promotion

MA, the analysts and coaching team  I am sure have specific targets that have been identified both in this country and abroad and due to the current injury list will in my opinion bring in whoever he wants in the first week of January. As we get towards the end of the month I think there will be significant bids for AF & JB that will be rebuffed by the club and I wouldn’t be surprised if a player we have had tabs on is a late 11th hour deal before the deadline if the stars align and the deck of cards fall correctly

I can see us bringing in 3 next week with the possibility of 1 addition on the deadline day

I can’t see O’Neil playing for us again or Hegeler who I think will go back to Germany

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think we will....but I have nothing to go on other than LJ’s and SL’s recent sound bites.

I've pondered on this and decided that it wouldn't be remotely surprising if SL did spend a fistful of dollars. Thinking about 'Fammy' for £5.5million- I don't think anyone saw that sort of spending happening and up until his injury - he was looking worth every penny.... Just ask @Fordy62

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I've pondered on this and decided that it wouldn't be remotely surprising if SL did spend a fistful of dollars. Thinking about 'Fammy' for £5.5million- I don't think anyone saw that sort of spending happening and up until his injury - he was looking worth every penny.... Just ask @Fordy62

To think I had come on here to commend you on your initial post on how it was well considered and thought provoking. 

But no. Thinking about it, it was shit. A waste of my reading time and largely incoherent. 

In all seriousness, I stand by my post at the time. I said he needed a rest and he got one... and voila. 

In relation to SL spending, I think he will. It was either @LondonBristolian Or @ChippenhamRed (2 very good posters by the way) who said that they wouldn’t be surprised if Diedhiou was no longer our record signing come February and I’m inclined to agree. 

SL quite clearly trusts LJ and if LJ has identified targets I strongly suspect he’ll be backed. 

I know this is the best season in this league I’m loving memory, but I’m a complete nervous wreck. I’m even nervous about tonight and we’re not even playing. I hate it. I really do. I’ve never known trepidation like this... if I could fast forward to the end of the season now, I would!

3 hours ago, marmite said:

If we get to the Prem then transfer fees will be massive. We may as well play that game now with our players. Ask for stupid money, as happens in the Prem, or send buyers packing. I wouldn't sell the tea lady for less than 5 million at the moment.

I heard she's after a pretty hefty wage rise in her new contract.

I say get rid, there are better around for less money.

26 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

To think I had come on here to commend you on your initial post on how it was well considered and thought provoking. 

But no. Thinking about it, it was shit. A waste of my reading time and largely incoherent. 

In all seriousness, I stand by my post at the time. I said he needed a rest and he got one... and voila. 

In relation to SL spending, I think he will. It was either @LondonBristolian Or @ChippenhamRed (2 very good posters by the way) who said that they wouldn’t be surprised if Diedhiou was no longer our record signing come February and I’m inclined to agree. 

SL quite clearly trusts LJ and if LJ has identified targets I strongly suspect he’ll be backed. 

I know this is the best season in this league I’m loving memory, but I’m a complete nervous wreck. I’m even nervous about tonight and we’re not even playing. I hate it. I really do. I’ve never known trepidation like this... if I could fast forward to the end of the season now, I would!

I was surprised that we were able to get Diedhiou....once you start looking at players at £5m, you tend to attract other clubs of greater stature than littl’ol Bristol City.

Re this window, it is typically one where you don’t get value for money.

Do you think we need another Striker?  These typically command the higher fees.  If so, we’ll want one that can hit the ground running and contribute to the promo push.  Does that rule out a foreign import, who are less costly in relation to players already in this country?  Dunno, just posing some Qs!

Personally I’d go with what we’ve got, assuming Diedhiou and Djúric come back from injury to a semblance of the form they were in pre-injury.  We’ve got a month to find out and you’d expect LJ and MA to be sounding out players, if not for this window, but lining up potential summer targets.

Of course, there may be chain reactions.  Imagine Villa go and get a new striker, does someone like Hogan become available?  Only an example.

Its gonna be a nervy window, not just for transfers and loans, but for where we are in the table at end of January.  Could Villa, Boro and Preston make up 9/10 points over 4 January fixture sets plus 1 remaining in December.  Suggests worse position we will be in is 6th.

38 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I feel your trepidation too, different fear being near the top as opposed to the bottom like last season. Every game has a must win label on it to keep the other teams at bay and to get a top two position for the prize of the promised land. Add in the crazy transfer window and not sure if my nerves can take it as will be shredded before too long

43 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It wasn’t me but I’ll happily take the credit if it proves to be true.

6 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

If Joe Bryan is still here in February, we'll have played a blinder. According to my cousin, an ardent blue nose on Merseyside, they are VERY keen on our Joe and he expects a bid early in January. 

It would seem obvious to me how the club will surely play the Joe Bryan situation. I expect he has been told he will be free to leave in the summer if we are not promoted, and the club will turn down all offers in January. I anticipate that the potential to achieve promotion with his hometown club - and Premier League football (and salary) either with or without City in August - will be enough to keep him here for now.

The club does not need to sell and the chances of achieving the ultimate goal are diminished without Joe Bryan, so that would seem the obvious strategy to me.

27 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It would seem obvious to me how the club will surely play the Joe Bryan situation. I expect he has been told he will be free to leave in the summer if we are not promoted, and the club will turn down all offers in January. I anticipate that the potential to achieve promotion with his hometown club - and Premier League football (and salary) either with or without City in August - will be enough to keep him here for now.

The club does not need to sell and the chances of achieving the ultimate goal are diminished without Joe Bryan, so that would seem the obvious strategy to me.

Exactly. He always seems to score in important games too. If we get to the playoff final definitely worth betting on him scoring.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

So - unbelievably for me - my ex wife is taking my sons to the match tomorrow and I'm not talking taxi service.... I'm talking tickets. WTF- she never was that that happy with me going when we were married and that's bloody 12 years ago and has never been to a match in her life.

My nephew is taking his new girlfriend who we all like so I'm crapping myself that we get the City I know and love i.e. fall at the hurdle.

P.s  Re Shit Post- do you really think I'm gonna let you pretend you made a valid point about Famara when I'm not allowed the same latitude about Smith? Let's hope that Fammy comes back fitter and stronger and more prolific and  I'll never mention him to you again.        Much   .

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Would it be worth bringing in one older player who has previously won promotion from the championship?

I can’t think of a name right now but this is one type of player that it might be worth looking for. We have guys who have won promotion from L1....but the task now is tougher surely.

If we can get O’Neil fit, we have on already.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

For arguments sake, imagine Everton do put a bid in which is acceptable, but then they don’t guarantee him a position over Baines.  What does Joe do then?

I know we all think he is great, and us good enough for the Prem, but if you take Scott Malone, who imho, was the best LB in the Champ last season as a comparison.  Went to Huddersfield in the summer window, so you’d expect him to be a regular starter.  He’s started 6 games.  Would Joe want that?  No idea, personally, but it’s a big decision for him, if we do get a bid.

I’d have a few personnel come in but don’t see the need to go crazy. 

Wright and Vyner are strong enough cover for RB. Maggs and Wright strong enough for CB. Maggs and Kelly strong enough for LB cover. I would sign a young winger like O’Dowda to help Leko cover the RM position. CM we only have Brownhill covering so one signing again with potential and one loanee to help with suspensions and injuries, Pack loves a card and Smith loves a crutch (not crotch) unfortunately. Eliasson and Bryan do a good enough job to cover LM. WE DONT NEED ANOTHER STRIKER! 

Reid and Pato starting

Cover -

Taylor 

Woodrow

Djuric

Fammy 

Taylor and Woodrow is enough support to see us through until Fammy and Djuric are match fit again. 

3 signings is more than enough unless we sign someone who is proven to be better than what we have. 

Archived