IGNORED

Would we be upset If we didn't make the play offs

Ayteomike2

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You're incorrect.

It's not just a historical definition. We often hear about 'the rape of the countryside' for instance.

Inappropriateness is subjective, and there's nothing contentious here unless you choose to seek it. 

The English language can be beautiful, other times less so, but, like it or not, by definition the word used was appropriate in the context given.

I'm not sure "rape" is used in that context as often as you think. Technically it's correct but people sensibly choose not to use it because "rape" tends to bring up other meanings far more vividly.

The poster has apologised and clarified what they said, and personally I'm not really sure on the benefit of continuing a debate about it. Someone used a term and someone else suggested they use a different term instead. I am sure the first poster meant no harm by what they said but think the second poster was well within their rights to suggest there could have been a better turn of phrase used. Personally I don't see any need to turn that into a bigger issue than it needs to be. 

Going back to the thread title, it would be a bit disappointing but there are precedents for Cup Runs causing this before both with our club and others, so it wouldn't be a surprise.

More to the point, would this still be seen as a successful season?

It only seems a few months ago when a lot of people on here said they just wanted to be entertained, promotion or not. It's definitely been entertaining!

• Admin
2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Sure, you are of course correct. As you also say i'd still probably avoid it if there was an alternative that could be used, given the way it could be perceived.

I perceived it exactly as the poster intended, the context it was used in didn’t lead to any other interpretation.

30 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I perceived it exactly as the poster intended, the context it was used in didn’t lead to any other interpretation.

I'm glad you did  but I disagree that the context prevented any other interpretation. Regardless, it was just a suggestion to be careful in the language you use; the poster has said he had no intention to offend and I never thought that was the case.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

I'm glad you did  but I disagree that the context prevented any other interpretation. Regardless, it was just a suggestion to be careful in the language you use; the poster has said he had no intention to offend and I never thought that was the case.

Maybe it’s an age thing....

Black in August, even the end of August this position, Cup run and quality of play was but a dream IMO.

Now? Even 10th could be a 7/10 season, considering all the positivity to date, provided we keep doing it right on and off the pitch. Maybe 6/10, 6 or 7 anyway?

Now though...Still in a good position, added 2 young talents in Walsh and Kent (I know Kent not permanent) and all the injuries to return adding depth, rotation options, talent and versatility,  you have to say missing out would be disappointing indeed.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

You, me or him?!!!

Take your pick, I only know how old I am.....

Anyway, it made much more sense than the original post in this thread, which was something that even surpassed our Swedish Moonshine testers ramblings in his second language - I don’t think even Tommy has ever posted anything that incoherent!

10 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Take your pick, I only know how old I am.....

Anyway, it made much more sense than the original post in this thread, which was something that even surpassed our Swedish Moonshine testers ramblings in his second language - I don’t think even Tommy has ever posted anything that incoherent!

And that is some statement!

At about the same time as this post, OP (Ayteomike2) posted "Johnson to take us to the prem".  Funny that this (-ve) one has way traffic than that +ve one, hey ho.

Getting to the playoffs is not going to lead to defection of star players; promotion is.  6th or 7th on GD: who cares.

Who wants playoffs anyway.  Most on here are in bits with a friendly vs Mangotsfield.  If we're in playoffs, half of us will have seizures.

9 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Personally I will be delighted if we don't, bad enough not getting promoted without losing in another Wembley Final.

Agreed, it's probably actually best if we lose 5 on the trot now, slip out of contention and go on a good run at the end of the season finishing 8th. Puts us in a good place for next season. 

Before the season started I'd have happily taken mid table obscurity. Progress. Anything to not be flirting with relegation or tearing my hair out at LJ's tombola selections.

Considering the seasons first half, the cup run, the momentum and the general positive vibe, it would be disappointing to now not make the play-offs now. 

I hope January was our blip (fixture congestion and injuries) and we can continue in our first half form. If we can't, and our recent form is indicative of our second half of the season progress, slipping out of the play offs as a result, it'll still be a positive season because of the highs we've reached. That bodes well in itself as to where we are heading as a team and as a club.

My only worry is around retaining some of the players that have got us here. But now, and for the first time in a long while, I feel like this side of the club can be left to it to do a good job. If players leave it'll be for good fees that'll be wisely reinvested. 

Lets change the question:

Promotion via payoffs (typo intended) but lose Joe, Flint and Bobby in the summer.

OR

Fail in the playoffs, retaining the current side to go again next season. 

As much as I'd love promotion (the finance for the club, sustainability, profile raising, testing ourselves against the best etc)......I'd love it in order to see THIS TEAM in the EPL, not a bunch of newbies who had no part in getting us there. 

The excitement surrounding the cup run is that it's our team vs Man United and City. It's Flint marking Aguero, it's Bobby skinning Stones, and it's Brownhill coasting past Yaya. 

For me, a huge part of how good this season has been is to see how much it means to this team. Not sure I'd blindly trade that all for promotion. But I'll probably change my mind by the morning

2 hours ago, deadredfred said:

Before the season started I'd have happily taken mid table obscurity. Progress. Anything to not be flirting with relegation or tearing my hair out at LJ's tombola selections.

Considering the seasons first half, the cup run, the momentum and the general positive vibe, it would be disappointing to now not make the play-offs now. 

I hope January was our blip (fixture congestion and injuries) and we can continue in our first half form. If we can't, and our recent form is indicative of our second half of the season progress, slipping out of the play offs as a result, it'll still be a positive season because of the highs we've reached. That bodes well in itself as to where we are heading as a team and as a club.

My only worry is around retaining some of the players that have got us here. But now, and for the first time in a long while, I feel like this side of the club can be left to it to do a good job. If players leave it'll be for good fees that'll be wisely reinvested. 

Lets change the question:

Promotion via payoffs (typo intended) but lose Joe, Flint and Bobby in the summer.

OR

Fail in the playoffs, retaining the current side to go again next season. 

As much as I'd love promotion (the finance for the club, sustainability, profile raising, testing ourselves against the best etc)......I'd love it in order to see THIS TEAM in the EPL, not a bunch of newbies who had no part in getting us there. 

The excitement surrounding the cup run is that it's our team vs Man United and City. It's Flint marking Aguero, it's Bobby skinning Stones, and it's Brownhill coasting past Yaya. 

For me, a huge part of how good this season has been is to see how much it means to this team. Not sure I'd blindly trade that all for promotion. But I'll probably change my mind by the morning

Promotion via payoffs (typo intended) but lose Joe, Flint and Bobby in the summer. Every day.

On 1/17/2018 at 17:32, LondonBristolian said:

I'm not sure "rape" is used in that context as often as you think. Technically it's correct but people sensibly choose not to use it because "rape" tends to bring up other meanings far more vividly.

The poster has apologised and clarified what they said, and personally I'm not really sure on the benefit of continuing a debate about it. Someone used a term and someone else suggested they use a different term instead. I am sure the first poster meant no harm by what they said but think the second poster was well within their rights to suggest there could have been a better turn of phrase used. Personally I don't see any need to turn that into a bigger issue than it needs to be. 

It is you who is continuing the debate, @LondonBristolian and turning it into a bigger issue than it needs to be.

Let's be clear, @poland_exile was not in the wrong, had no need to clarify what he said, and certainly had nothing to apologise for.

By definition it was an appropriate word to use in the context given, and the poster who originally questioned it's use, @steveybadger accepted that.

That you still feel the need to show 'disapproval' at it's use by continuing the debate indicates the problem lies with your own sensitivities, something which is completely irrelevant to the facts.

You should perhaps consider refraining from pushing your personal interpretation of what is acceptable onto others and seeking retractions, especially in a case like this when a definition of the word, in common usage, proves you to be the one demonstrably in the wrong.

53 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It is you who is continuing the debate, @LondonBristolian and turning it into a bigger issue than it needs to be.

Let's be clear, @poland_exile was not in the wrong, had no need to clarify what he said, and certainly had nothing to apologise for.

By definition it was an appropriate word to use in the context given, and the poster who originally questioned it's use, @steveybadger accepted that.

That you still feel the need to show 'disapproval' at it's use by continuing the debate indicates the problem lies with your own sensitivities, something which is completely irrelevant to the facts.

You should perhaps consider refraining from pushing your personal interpretation of what is acceptable onto others and seeking retractions, especially in a case like this when a definition of the word, in common usage, proves you to be the one demonstrably in the wrong.

Nogbad i don't want to drag this out but to clarify (respectfully); saying i thought it was 'appropriate' isn't the word i'd use - i agreed with you that the use of the word was literally correct in the context of the sentence. Cheers

3 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Nogbad i don't want to drag this out but to clarify (respectfully); saying i thought it was 'appropriate' isn't the word i'd use - i agreed with you that the use of the word was literally correct in the context of the sentence. Cheers

Fair enough Stevey. Point taken that although you accepted it was correct usage in context you'd still avoid it for an alternative.:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I do not see how a single word of you have written here relates to what I have written. I do not know whether I did not make myself clear enough or whether you have misinterpreted me but what you have said has absolutely no bearing on what I have said. That said, I have no interest in continuing this discussion any further. The original poster apologised for any misunderstanding and clarified his point and that is the end of it. Please stop projecting your feelings about other people or social issues or whatever else onto me. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

That said, I have no interest in continuing this discussion any further. The original poster apologised for any misunderstanding and clarified his point and that is the end of it.

On the whole there was no misunderstanding, and there was certainly no reason for the original poster to apologise.

Your position was to appear to be put out and somehow aggrieved at his use of a perfectly reasonable word in context and it strikes me as unacceptable that the original poster felt pressurised to apologise when, imo, and by definition, he had said nothing wrong.

You say he 'could have used a better turn of phrase', that may be so in your opinion, but you have no right to insist on that, attempt to dictate what people should or shouldn't say, or seek retraction or apology.

Good that your interest in the discussion is at an end, it had only continued this far due to you taking an unnecessary and erroneous lecturing stance.

The word was correctly used in context; everything else - so just about everything you've been minded to contribute to the thread - is irrelevant.

Over and out.

E

16 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

On the whole there was no misunderstanding, and there was certainly no reason for the original poster to apologise.

Your position was to appear to be put out and somehow aggrieved at his use of a perfectly reasonable word in context and it strikes me as unacceptable that the original poster felt pressurised to apologise when, imo, and by definition, he had said nothing wrong.

You say he 'could have used a better turn of phrase', that may be so in your opinion, but you have no right to insist on that, attempt to dictate what people should or shouldn't say, or seek retraction or apology.

Good that your interest in the discussion is at an end, it had only continued this far due to you taking an unnecessary and erroneous lecturing stance.

The word was correctly used in context; everything else - so just about everything you've been minded to contribute to the thread - is irrelevant.

Over and out.

Either actually read what people write or do not comment on it. I do not mind which. But commenting based on things people have not actually said serves no purpose whatsoever. But let’s leave it there as we are going round in circles.

Archived