IGNORED

Riot Police Deployment

Harry

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One could use small kids to smuggle in a great many things tbh.

Beer...a pyro, anything small enough to hide in a jacket you could hide in a kids jacket. Not even talking terrorism,  more anything which isn't allowed in a football ground.

You dont even need a kid to do you, a grown adult could easily do it.

4 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

Or a much more common story now days, is to let trouble occur and not stop it. Have it all on CCTV/Police hand held cameras.

Few days later, people geting doors kicked down and banning order issued. If there was no arrests at football, there would be no need to police it. There has to be justification still by the police on their numbers.

I see no problem with that as a tactic,  I'd rather that than a baton charge up the steps which, lets face it, would lead to a heck of a lot more trouble and even more banning orders etc.

You can't have it both ways, it's that or the tactics of the WMP, I think I know which I prefer.

16 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I just have a real great feeling about this.

He was clearly unsettled at his parent club and moving to Bristol, being made to feel at home and with Fammy here I feel he may settle very well.

Let’s hope the police don’t need to be notified? Haha.

18 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Eastend, Williams, Atyeo, south stand. Never hardly seen any aggro for the unwarranted overkill of police in these stands . Pathetic really. Would be good to get an explanation from the police or club 

Quite simple really.

It was a big game. They all wanted to be there without having to pay.

One of the perks of the job.

1 hour ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

Another fine example of why the Police should be banned from the forum........ embarrassing....

but but but... she is here to help... and answer questions....... yet she doesn't do either... :facepalm:

Agree, this thread has been around for 18 hours and @Fordy62 hasn't said a bloody word

:redcard:

5 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

Or a much more common story now days, is to let trouble occur and not stop it. Have it all on CCTV/Police hand held cameras.

Few days later, people geting doors kicked down and banning order issued. If there was no arrests at football, there would be no need to police it. There has to be justification still by the police on their numbers.

And Elvis was assassinated , Hitler lives in Brazil and don't get me started on vapour trails!

37 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Quite simple really.

It was a big game. They all wanted to be there without having to pay.

One of the perks of the job.

They must of been totally gutted when they were told they had to watch the crowd and not the game.

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I understand that, but that said, if the child had nothing and the dog made a mistake (I don't know exactly how reliable dogs are). How could the child and/or guardian prove they have no banned items without a search? 

The unreliability of the sniffer dogs was proven at Fulham.....dogs on turnstiles, smoke bombs set off during the game.

Maybe @JulieH could advise on the child search regulations/ procedures?

9 hours ago, JulieH said:

The searches I witnessed of away fans were thorough and

*private sniffer dogs were also used. 

* 'Private' sniffer dogs!  ....  sounds like bollocks to me.

Hmm, a bloody dog poking its nose in where its not wanted. Not keen on that at all.

(bet that Gas bloke at the Mem suggested this, dirty sod ! )  :) 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One could use small kids to smuggle in a great many things tbh.

Beer...a pyro, anything small enough to hide in a jacket you could hide in a kids jacket. Not even talking terrorism,  more anything which isn't allowed in a football ground.

Simple to deal with... All kids under 12 to be accompanied with an adult and seated in the family section.. A lot of dads wont like that but the price of having kids is sitting with 'em. 

Right of passage for the young 'uns before moving up to the adult stands when becoming teenagers..

(not that I imagine many kids have ever been used to 'smuggle in' contraband, have they?) ffs.  

14 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

* 'Private' sniffer dogs!  ....  sounds like bollocks to me.

Hmm, a bloody dog poking its nose in where its not wanted. Not keen on that at all.

(bet that Gas bloke at the Mem suggested this, dirty sod ! )  :) 

It would smell like bollocks too......hopefully !!!!!!

1 minute ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Not really, they probably get more pleasure from intimidating/provoking fans by staring at them throughout the game.

The next time they do it,and they will do it again,everyone just stare back.

2 minutes ago, Jarman said:

What is really pertinent is that at rugby matches, there is rarely - if ever - one police officer in site ... plus zero fan segregation ... plus alcohol on the terraces ... because rugby fans know how to behave ... 

Assuming this is a joke, considering the list of incidents that have occurred at AG between rugby fans in the last few seasons.

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Why not? @JulieH was very helpful in Manchester.

She was acting more as a travel guide than a police officer tho :clapping:

It’s called trust - too many “fit ups” have been proven, let alone the ones that were unproven.

Just look at the Hillsborough cover up by the OB!

You need to remember she works for a larger organisation.

5 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

One would hope they would be denied entry.

Many terrorists around the world use children to commit attacks. A football stadium in the U.K. would be seen as a major target by them and I for one would be happy to see pyro dogs at all football grounds in the U.K.......if they could actually sniff the stuff out of course.

A dog at Man City did detect on a child who was there with his father. Child immediately burst into tears and produced a smoke grenade given to him to sneak in by his dad.

we attended and I have to say I don’t think I have ever seen a child so upset, visibly shaking and sobbing as he was so scared as to what was going to happen. 

dad taken to one side by the chief inspector in charge of that area and given very very strong words of advice, common sense prevailed and on this occasion both were allowed entry to the ground.

i would urge anyone of thinking of using a child to do the same to think again, the effect on this child on getting caught was horrendous for the child and his father . 

1 hour ago, Jarman said:

What is really pertinent is that at rugby matches, there is rarely - if ever - one police officer in site ... plus zero fan segregation ... plus alcohol on the terraces ... because rugby fans know how to behave ... 

Nonsense. The worst crowd trouble in recent years was last season versus Exeter.

Im not even going to mention the Varsity match.

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

It’s called trust - too many “fit ups” have been proven, let alone the ones that were unproven.

Just look at the Hillsborough cover up by the OB!

You need to remember she works for a larger organisation.

Imagine if the police treated football fans that way - one set cause an issue and they’re all banned....

19 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Fair enough having different ideas Harry, especially with the benefit of hindsight, which we can all benefit from.

But it's impressive how clearly you treat your opinion on how best to police 27,000 people as fact, you must have a significant background working for her majesty's finest?

I haven’t stated any ‘facts’ about how to correctly police a match. What I have done is express my opinion which is that a line of police will not stop an impromptu smoke grenade. If a lad has one, and we scored and he got excited, he’d most likely let it off, whether there were a squadron of riot bill standing in front of the stand or not. 

It’s just an opinion, albeit an educated one as I do think I am someone rather qualified to understand fan culture and mentality. I’ve not stated my opinion as fact though, not sure why you took it that way? Pre-conceptions maybe? 

15 hours ago, Nibor said:

Pitch invasions don't tend to start simultaneously from all areas of the ground. They start from that corner and everyone else follows. If I wanted to make a show of trying to prevent them to defend the club from punishment that's what I'd do.  Wheel them out 5 minutes from the end and you're open to criticism for the invasion 10 minutes from the end, or the half time incident or so on. 

Also why are people not able to understand Julie when she says "there was no suggestion of infiltration"? It's not hard to read is it? 

The pitch invasion v Man Utd had fans coming on from all 4 stands. Don’t pretend it was just one small group of people who started it. It was a moment of unbridled joy from all fans in all stands, some of whom took to the pitch in delight. I didn’t by the way. But don’t pretend it was only S82 who thought it was a good idea - it was spontaneous and simultaneous from all 4 stands. No reason for the police to single out one small corner. 

11 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

It hasn’t been mentioned yet but my other half sits in the disabled section down in that corner.

During the pitch invasion against Man United, some yoofs/man children creamed  themselves a little too much to be allowed to stand on some grass and were physically clambering over the people sat in the disabled section.

As the name suggests, they had no chance to get away and at least one of them ended up in the medical room after the game.

They were lucky they weren’t more hurt, there were literally hundreds of people lolloping through that area without a care for who they smacked into (and many did).

The sad thing was when I suggested mentioning it to the club, they said “What’s the point? They won’t do anything.”

Maybe the response was OTT by filming people, but for the rest of it, it’s pretty simple. Don’t spend half a season letting off flares and injuring people mounting a pitch invasion when you beat a team you want to face twice next year and then be shocked when you get treated like kids.

I am sorry to hear about the incident and agree that anyone showing total disrespect for others (disabled or not) is selfish. 

You made fair points up until your last paragraph where you have over exaggerated and thus give credence to the ridiculous police tactics. 

The fans in the area have not spent “half the season” letting off flairs and injuring people. The injury to your partner was a one-off (I know of no other injuries this season) and the flare incidents, I believe, were twice or perhaps three times. That’s not “half the season” of delinquent behaviour by everyone in the area, thus warranting over the top and intimidatory policing. Whilst the injury to your partner was wrong, it doesn’t make anything right by intimidating a whole group of people who are not responsible for that. 

Seems the only tool the police have is a hammer, so they have to make every problem look like a nail. 

11 hours ago, Super said:

Agree with some of that, one thing for sure is they really don't help themselves in that section.

Some in other areas of the ground also don’t help themselves. Look back over many years. Problems within the stadium are not unique to this group. There have been many incidents in all stands at various times. Well done for categorising 1200 people as idiots. 

9 hours ago, RumRed said:

Am I the only person that thinks the police NOT going storming in mob handed when the trouble flared was probably a tactical thing?  Can you imagine if 8 riot coppers charged into the stand?  This place would go mad with comments such as 'it was only handbags',  'the stewards were there' or 'the fans were sorting it'.  Far better to assess the seriousness of the situation before going in and giving it a chance to calm down rather than inflame the situation.

No one was asking them to go wading in. The question was, if they weren’t going to respond to an incident occurring, then what exactly was their purpose. It certainly seems it wasn’t to react to trouble, more to prevent a highly unlikely pitch invasion from minute 1 to minute 95, in an unfriendly and intimidatory manner. 

Regarding the use of children and them not being searched, I asked this before and I’m sure the answer I got was children can be searched, but they are taken to a ‘side room’ so not in public gaze, they also have to be in the presence of an adult, ie parent or guardian. 

I’m sure this is correct, or it was at the time. As children under 16 aren’t admitted without an adult anyway so they will always have a adult with them. 

13 hours ago, JulieH said:

The searches I witnessed of away fans were thorough and private sniffer dogs were also used. 

@JulieH The searches were thorough and I had a dog giving me a good sniff!

Interested to know if the dog, or possibly dogs, was/were trained to locate drugs or explosives, which I guess would include flares? I hasten to add that I’m law abiding and had neither!

Archived